Chapter 7
78 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
It took nearly the entirety of the early afternoon and evening for me to find my way back to Diamondwood Square. The bustling 'metropolitan' heart of Diamondwood Forest, where I'd found myself yesterday.
 
Even so, the city was almost as I remembered it, bustling with activity and filled with players going about their quests and adventures.
 
Only, the people there weren't larger-than-life goliath knights, elf sorcerers, and dragonkin rangers. They were ordinary people who were stuck in this world now.
 
I walked through the city, marveling at how realistic it all felt. The streets were lined with shops and stalls, selling all sorts of wares and items. What really jumped out to me was the look of fear and suspicion the NPCs greeted me with. Did something happen overnight when I'd accidentally managed to log out?
 
I shook my head, almost out of habit. That wasn't what was important here. I had to make my way back to the inn and look for Emma and Noah, the two players I'd grouped with when the incident happened.
 
As I walked down the street, I noticed a group of players huddled in a circle, whispering amongst themselves. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but their tense expressions spoke volumes.
 
I ignored them and continued on my way back to the Moonshadow Tavern, where I had somehow managed to log out yesterday.
 
When I reached the tavern, I pushed open the door and stepped inside. The air inside was thick with smoke and the scent of alcohol. The dim lighting made it difficult to see, but I could make out the shadowy figures of people sitting at tables and gathered around the bar.
 
I walked up to the innkeeper, a portly dwarf with a thick beard. He looked up to me and greeted me with a smile. "Hey there again adventurer, it's been a few days, huh?"
 
I blinked in surprise. "Days? But I just logged out yesterday..."
 
The dwarf's smile faded, replaced by a look of concern. "Logged out? What's that?"
 
"I... you know, nevermind. Do you know where the woman and boy I was with went? Emma and Noah?"
 
The dwarf looked thoughtful for a moment before finally speaking. "Ah, yes. The two of them left early in the morning after they'd stayed. I assumed you'd slipped out in the middle of the night like many do around here."
 
My heart sank. They had left without me? I could see why. They'd probably assumed I wouldn't be coming back.
 
"Yeah. Something like that. Did they say where they were going?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady.
 
The dwarf shook his head. "No, sorry. They just asked for directions out of Diamondwood Forest and left. Didn't say much else."
 
I let out a sigh, feeling a sense of disappointment wash over me. Well, I had lost my would-be party and companions before I really got to know them, and I had no idea where they were or what had happened to them.
 
So what now?
 
"Thank you, anyway," I said to the dwarf, turning to leave the tavern.
 
As I stepped out into the street, I paused, unsure of where to go from here. I was alone in a world that had become all too real.
 
I briefly wondered if the members of my guild were alright. <Pizza Parlor> had a lot of people in it around my age bracket, and some of them were close friends of mine.
 
With nothing else to do, I decided to make my way back to the Adventurer's Guild. Maybe someone there could give me some answers or at least offer me some guidance.
 
I stared up at the massive trees that towered overhead, feeling a sense of both awe and foreboding. This world was beautiful, but it was also dangerous. Anything could happen, and I had to be prepared.
 
Finally, I reached the Adventurer's Guild, a grand building that towered over everything else in Diamondwood Forest. The doors creaked as I pushed them open and stepped inside, my footsteps echoing in the empty hall.
 
The receptionist at the front desk looked up from her paperwork as I approached. She was an elf woman, with sharp features and blonde hair pulled back in a tight bun. Her eyes darted over me for a moment before she spoke.
 
"Can I help you?" she asked, her tone cool and reserved.
 
I cleared my throat, feeling a bit nervous. "Um, yeah. I was wondering if there was anyone here who could help me. I'm... new to this world."
 
The woman raised an amused eyebrow. "New, you say? Well, it's been a strangely frequent occurrence for us to get new arrivals these days. What's your name?"
 
I hesitated for a moment before answering. Do I give them my real name?
 
"John. John Steelsong," I answered.
 
The woman peered up from her papers for a second, before she suddenly burst out in laughter.
 
"John Steelsong? That is an interesting alias. I'm sure you have your reasons for being secretive, but don't worry, your real name is not a pre-requisite. An identification numbers matters more, of course."
 
She smiled warmly, but I couldn't help but feel a sense of condescension in her words. It was clear she didn't think much of me. But then again, I was used to it.
 
"Can you help me or not?" I asked.
 
The woman's smile faltered, and she cleared her throat. "Yes, of course. We have a few services available for new adventurers like yourself. Once we have your registration paperwork filed away, you'll be assigned a Rank E nameplate and you'll be able to take on quests and jobs.
 
"That sounds like a good place to start," I said, feeling relieved that there was some way for me to make progress in this world. "What do I need to do?"
 
The receptionist handed me a stack of papers, explaining the process of registration and the details of the nameplate system. I listened carefully, my mind racing as I tried to absorb all the information.
 
When I finished filling out the forms, I handed them back to the receptionist, who gave me a small smile. "Welcome to Diamondwood Forest... John Steelsong."
 
She snickered again, I gritted my teeth, feeling a flicker of anger at her tone. But I pushed the feeling aside, reminding myself that I needed her help.
 
"I hope you find everything you're looking for here."
 
With that, I was officially a registered adventurer in this world. It was a small start, but it was something.
 
The woman handed me a small, rectangular piece of metal. "Here's your nameplate. Wear it at all times, it'll help everyone identify you as a registered adventurer. You'll start at Rank E, but you can work your way up by completing quests and jobs."
 
I nodded, taking the nameplate and fastening it onto my shirt. It felt strange, but I knew it was necessary.
 
"The hunt board is over there," she said, pointing to a bulletin board on the wall. "I can see that you are a Bulwark, sake a look and see if there's anything that interests you. And be careful out there, John. This world can be unforgiving to those who aren't prepared."
 
I nodded in acknowledgement and walked over to the job board, scanning through the various postings. My eyes widened when I realized the job listings were generally way too difficult for me. All the quests were marked at "Rank D" at a minimum, or required groups. Frowning, I walked back to the woman at the desk. "Hey umn, it looks like there aren't any jobs for a low-level adventurer. What gives?"
 
"Oh," the elf woman replied, scratching her head. "Well, we've had a strange influx of novice human adventurers just like you lately. Most of them have been disappearing, getting themselves killed, or otherwise getting into trouble. It's becoming a bit of a problem."
 
I gulped nervously at the thought of disappearing or getting into trouble. "Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of success?"
 
The woman nodded, "There are too few low-level quests to go around at the moment. How about joining a low-level party? There are adventurers in the tavern hall next door, and some of are looking for more members to join them. They are in a similar position to you and may be a good fit for you."
 
I thanked her and made my way to the tavern hall next door. As I walked in, I saw a group of four adventurers sitting at a table, laughing and joking with each other. A couple of lizard-men looked up as I entered, and I could feel their eyes sizing me up.
 
"Get a load of this lardass," a girl snickered off to my side.
 
I felt a pang of anger rise in my chest, but I forced myself to stay calm in spite of the humiliation. I was used to this kind of treatment, but it never got any easier.
 
"I'm looking for a party," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "I'm new to all of this, but I'm a fast learner and I'm willing to work hard."
 
The adventurers exchanged skeptical glances; none of them spoke up.
 
I stood there feeling foolish and out of place. It was clear that they were not interested in having me join their party.
 
"My name is uh, John Steelsong. I'm a Bulwark," I added, hoping that would pique their interest.
 
"John Steelsong he says?!?" the same voice from before exclaimed. "And I'm Viviana Arcaneaux!"
 
Viv? I was taken aback by the mention of her player name. They knew our player names? I felt a sudden sense of unease wash over me.
 
Was it possible that our accomplishments as community members and players had preceded us in this world?
 
It suddenly dawned on me that these were not just NPCs, they were people like me. They had the power to hurt me. To kill me, even. I felt my social anxiety shoot into overdrive at that stark realization.
 
"I'm an Astral Mage here, and I think you look like dead weight," a man continued, followed by boisterous laughter from the group. "More than dead weight in fact, you look like an anchor dragging us down. The face doesn't help either."
 
I felt my cheeks redden, and my fists clenched in anger.
 
But I forced myself to take a deep breath and stay calm. I couldn't afford to lose my temper or start a fight. That would tank my reputation here for good.
 
"Sorry to bother you all, then," I said, turning to leave. "I'll find another party."
 
I turned and walked away, feeling the weight of their stares following me. As I stepped outside, I could feel tears prickling at the corners of my eyes. I had been so hopeful, but now I felt more alone than ever.
 
I thought about Lumina, and listening to the crashing shores we'd sat on a Pom Pom basket in the Northern Isles last month. It was a simpler time.
 
I thought about Jack, and his cocky grin he first showed me the ropes in the Lutaisian Cove.
 
I thought about Bob, his firm handshake and the way he had encouraged me to keep trying, even when things got tough in real life.
 
But they were all gone now. And I was here, alone and vulnerable.
 
I wiped away the tears and took a deep breath, steeling myself for the road ahead.
 
I would have to find another way to make it in this world. Another way to survive and find my friends.
 
I walked away from the tavern hall, my mind racing with possibilities.
 
Maybe I could find some low-level quests that were suitable for a solo adventurer.
 
Maybe I could find a way to become stronger on my own.
 
Whatever the path ahead held, I knew one thing for certain.
 
I wouldn't give up.
 
Not now, not ever.
 
Not until I knew they were safe.
 
2