Chapter 18 – New beginnings
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   “Young master?”

 

   Kai stared out of the window but all he could see was that familiar face he hoped to see every possible moment during the past year floating in his mind, bringing back all those memories he hoped to bury deep in his heart. He secretly wished that coming back home would give him the opportunity to maybe forget for a while about the torturous feelings that have been tormenting him since that man left his side. However the truth appeared to be quite the opposite. 

 

   “Young master?”

 

   He observed the clouds as they calmly drifted through the azure sky. Yet the pair of jet black eyes that were bearing deep into his soul held his confused mind hostage as if they wanted to be the only thing that he was destined to see wherever he looks.

 

   “Young master!”

 

   “For fuck’s sake Grey,” Atlas clicked his tongue and reached over to Kai to flick his forehead. “Hey! Earth to Caelum! Are you with us?”

 

   “Ouch!” Kai rubbed his forehead with an angry glare. “The hell is wrong with you?” 

 

   “We should be asking that,” Atlas rolled his eye and gestured towards the view outside the window. “We were talking to you while you were admiring the pretty clouds.”

 

   “Young master, we’re here,” Grey tried to calm the situation with concern still lingering in his eyes. He’s already gotten used to Kai spacing out occasionally but the depressed expression on his face made him worried. What was it that was on his mind? 

 

   When Kai  looked outside the window again, he realized they were at the gate to their property. As they drove through, Kai’s eyes finally landed on his family’s mansion spreading in front of them like a colossal monster, ready to haunt him like a phantom of the past.

 

   “Comon, cuz. Let’s go inside!” Atlas clapped his hands and almost jumped out of the car as soon as it stopped, stretching his limbs with a loud groan.

 

   “Welcome home, young master,” Grey held the main door to the house open for the young man who slowly stepped inside, warily looking around. For some reason the house didn’t feel as unwelcoming as he expected. The dark curtains were open, letting the light in through the big windows. The vases lining the halls were decorated with flowers and even the new carpets had a brighter color. He stopped for a second, perhaps waiting for someone to walk out at the top of the main staircase to greet him, but there wasn’t a single soul around. The fact that his brother wasn’t waiting to welcome him left a heavy feeling on his chest. 

 

           “Most of the staff are on their leave as a precaution,” Grey explained when he saw the young master’s wandering eyes. “We wanted to be as careful as possible in case someone in the house could have something to do with your brother’s disappearance.”

 

          Kai only nodded, still seeming to absentmindedly search his surroundings for something unknown.

 

   “Well, gentlemen. This is where I will leave you for the day and I’ll see you tomorrow at your marks,” Atlas winked before he turned on his heel and disappeared into one of the hallways, happily humming to himself.

 

   “I have to apologize for master Atlas, he can be a bit much sometimes,” Grey caught Kai’s attention when he stepped next to him. “But you will get used to it, young master.”

 

   “Hopefully,” he mumbled, although his crazy relative was the least of his worries. “Can I go to my room now?” 

 

   “Of course,” Grey nodded. “If anything just call me.” He handed Kai a new phone. “All the important contacts are there and we will discuss the rest later. Now have some rest.” 

 

   “Thank you,” Kai accepted the phone and unlocked it. As he walked up the stairs he went through the list of numbers he had saved. To his disappointment, Atlas was among them. 

 

   “Ryan?” He read another contact out loud, studying the number. “Oh right, the head bodyguard,” he mumbled to himself and shoved the phone inside his pocket when he arrived at the top of the stairs.

 

    As he took a look around he took in the familiar view of hallways he used to run around in as a kid. Back then they seemed endless to him but he already knew his way around. He passed his father’s study, remembering all the heartwrenching arguments and lectures he had to endure in that room. Shaking his head he passed by a couple more doors until his steps led him to his brother’s room. 

 

   Kai brushed his fingers over the door handle, hesitating whether he should enter but he didn’t have the strength to see the empty room where no one was waiting for him. 

 

   Right across the hallway was his brother’s study and to his surprise the door was open. After taking a shaky breath, he stepped closer just to take a glimpse. It was left exactly as he remembered, as if Cassius never left and he couldn’t decide how it made him feel. It was as if they were trying to gaslight him into thinking that he is still somewhere around when everyone knew very well that he’s not. He again took a glimpse at the list of contacts in his new phone. Cassius’ name burned brightly in front of his eyes as he warily tapped his shaking finger on the screen. 

 

           He let it ring but soon the call was disconnected, announcing that the number he has dialed is not in service. 

 

           What were you even thinking? 

 

   With eyes filled with tears Kai continued down the hallway all the way to his room because he couldn’t stare into that room any longer. As he stood in front of the door he remembered how in the past he dreaded every moment he had to leave through those them into the outside world. This room was his sanctuary ever since he was a kid. 

 

    A few more seconds passed until he mustered up the courage and walked in. Upon entering he found out that this room still remained the same, as if it was yesterday when he last left. All his books and papers were scattered around the desk and the board above was decorated with his little sketches and doodles he did. Even the plushies he used to love as a kid were waiting for him, laying on the bed. 

 

  Closing the door behind him, Kai crumbled down to the floor letting the tears stream down his face. He let all the emotions that were built up in his chest slowly rise and spill out like a wild river that mercilessly swallowed everything in its way. Violent sobs shook his body as Kai curled up on the floor, hiding his face in his hands even though there was no one who could witness his momentary weakness. 

 

   It was too much. 

 

   He thought he could hold all his emotions together, sealed from the outside world but as soon as he knew he was alone, he could no longer hold it in. His whole body trembled and he let the hot tears stain his flushed face. The avalanche of the previous events dragged his heavy mind down into a black abyss. Kai was no longer sure what exactly caused him to lose his composure like this. The raging hurricane in his mind kept him from thinking straight. 

 

   A ringing tone cut through the silence that filled his dark room and Kai was forced to reach for his phone with his trembling hand. But to his surprise it wasn’t the new one he got from Grey but his old one he brought from the island.

 

   “Ash?” Kai choked up softly when he picked up the call, trying to control the painful sobs that were coming from his chest.

 

   [Don’t tell me you’re crying over how much you miss me already.]

 

    The cheerful tone of his friend sounded through the phone, with a hint of concern that brought Kai a sense of comfort.

 

   “I… nhgh… I don’t know w-why I’m like this,” Kai admitted with a quivering voice. 

 

    It was terrible, his friend has never heard him like this and it took him by surprise until a soft chuckle reached Kai’s ears.

 

   [Hey… Kai… Listen to me. It’s fine. I know this happened so quickly and it’s okay there’s nothing wrong with you. You must be in shock.]

 

   “But I am not w-weak,” Kai gasped wetly. “I’ve been t-through worse.” 



   [I know that. I know. Crying doesn’t make you weak.] 



   Ash patiently listened to Kai’s turbulent breathing, waiting for his friend to let it all out.



   [Don’t worry… Take your time. No one is judging you and you’re not alone. I am here and that guy with glasses… um…]

 

   “You mean Grey?” Kai sniveled weakly.

 

   [Yea! Grey! He seemed to be quite nice to you. Right? Please tell me I’m right and he didn’t start bullying you the moment you were alone.]

 

   Kai tittered, feeling slightly better after being comforted by his friend’s silly words and wiped his tears away. “No, he’s great. You just need to get to know him better.” 

 

   [I think I’ll take that chance another time.]

 

   “I’ll hold you to that,” Kai said, attempting to sound more cheerful. 

 

   They both kept silent for a few moments until Kai looked around as he slowly calmed down. “You know now that I am here, I miss my small beach house. Even my room is bigger than the whole thing.” 

 

     [Are you boasting right now, young master?] 

 

   “Stop it, idiot,” Kai retorted, but a feeling of giddiness warmed his chest. He missed his friend teasing him like that.  

 

   [Okay, okay. Look, I’m gonna have to go now but I just wanted to make sure you’re okay.]

 

   “I am.”

 

   [You sure?] 

 

   His concerned voice made Kai smile softly.

 

  “I will try my best to be.” 

 

   [I like the sound of that. Alright, you go and get some sleep and don’t forget to update me here and there. Or at least send me Grey’s number so I can bother him.]

 

   “He will block your number if you bug him too much.” 

 

   Kai slowly stood up from the floor, dusting himself off. Now that he got to hear Ash’s voice a huge weight was lifted off of his shoulder. He still had someone he can turn to without being ashamed of his temporary weakness.

 

   [Is that a challenge?] 

 

   “That was a warning, you idiot,” Kai giggled and walked over to his closet. He tried to pick something comfortable he could sleep in since he didn’t bring anything. 

 

   [Can’t make any promises.] 

 

   Kai could imagine Ash’s devilish grin even without being there as he shook his head in amusement.

 

   “You’re such a bully, you know that?” 

 

   [That’s rude. I feel like he already has a bad influence on you. Can’t you go back already?] 

 

    “I wish,” Kai chuckled. 

 

    [I swear if you come back with a pair of glasses, wearing a suit and acting all sour, I will disinherit you.]

 

   “Fine, fine. Now let me go have a shower and get some sleep. I am exhausted,” Kai complained and made his way to the bathroom. “I’ll talk to you soon.” 

 

   [You better! Oh and Kai?] 

 

   “Mhm?” 

 

  [I love you, idiot.]

 

   “I love you too, asshole.” 

 

   [But not in a weird way!]

 

   “Of course not, now hang up and leave me alone,” Kai laughed and waited for his friend to hang up the phone. 

 

   “Idiot,” he mumbled to himself but a broad smile played on his face as he stepped into the shower.



*** 



  “So how was your first night, cuz?” Atlas asked happily as he handed Kai a cup of coffee he brought from the city. 

 

   “What do you think? I passed out,” Kai smirked and sat down in front of the mirror when he accepted the hot drink. Today was the day when Atlas would work his magic to make him look as close to a mafia boss as possible.

 

   “Boooring,” his cousin rolled his eyes and started to examine Kai’s hair. “What if we dye it black?”

 

   “Something less drastic please,” Kai forced a smile, suddenly regretting the decision to go along with this. 

 

   “Live a little, Caelum.” 

 

   Kai let out a sigh. He still had to get used to people calling him by that name again. It had been so long since someone called him that and even though he wore that name for way longer than his nickname ‘Kai’ it felt strangely unfamiliar. 

 

   “Don’t do anything Grey would disagree with,” Kai reprimanded Atlas and watched with amusement as his face twisted in disappointment. 

 

   “This way I can barely put a clip in your hair,” Atlas complained and reached for Kai’s hand, tightly grabbing it. “Trust me on this, hm?”

 

   Kai’s skin was crawling from the sudden physical contact and so he decided to agree just to make Atlas let go of his hand. “Fine.” 

 

   “Yeyy,” Atlas clapped his hands and cracked his knuckles. “Let’s make wonders!” 

 

   Kai let out a heavy sigh but decided against commenting on the matter any further. Instead he picked up his phone to text Grey, letting him know he can come over so they can further discuss their plan. 

 

   He was mentally preparing himself for yet another exhausting day and he just wished for it to be over.

 

   “Good morning, young master,” Grey bowed slightly when he entered the room and turned to Atlas to do the same. “Master Atlas.”

 

   “Shouldn’t you start calling him a master as well?” Atlas pointed out while styling Kai’s hair. “After all he’s supposed to be the new head of the family.” 

 

   “Please don’t,” Kai grimaced. “It’s enough for me to handle the ‘young master’ thing. It still makes my skin crawl.”

 

   “Those are the rules, young master,” Grey objected as he handed Kai the tablet with all the necessary information. 

 

   “Who set those rules anyway?” Atlas complained and grabbed Kai’s head when he lowered it to look down on the tablet. “Head up,” he ordered with a serious expression. “Otherwise don’t blame me if I mess up your haircut.”

 

   Kai was still against the idea of cutting his hair, but seeing how Atlas almost fainted at the sight of his split ends, he let him do his thing. It wasn’t his fault he didn’t care enough to find a hairdresser on the island. 

 

   “Grey, I need us to go through all the important people I will have to deal with in that meeting.” With a deep sigh, Kai lifted the tablet to hold it in front of his face so he could go through it without moving his head. He started listing through the pages with profiles of the leaders of the major mafia families who signed the pact with his brother, carefully reading through the important information. 

 

   His heart started pounding once he got to the page with a picture of a young dark haired man with deep eyes that bore a menacing look. The face seemed so familiar yet he couldn’t shake off the feeling that he’s seeing this man for the first time. The image of the Ice prince, as Atlas liked to call him, who only knew his work as the second leader of his family clan and nothing else was something he couldn’t attach to the person he met on the island, yet looking at his profile he started to believe it. Was it really him? But how could he be wrong? 

 

   “Talay Sullivan,” he mumbled to himself as his eyes scanned through the available information. Obviously the most recent notes were very vague since he disappeared from the scene and haven’t shown himself in the public for a while. 

 

   “You seem to be quite hung up on this guy,” Atlas murmured with a keen expression. “What's so special about him anyways? I know he’s handsome and all but I already told you he’s an asshole.”

 

   “Wait, he attended the same university as my brother?” Kai turned to look at Grey,  ignoring what Atlas said. 

 

   But before he got his answer, his cousin clicked his tongue and once again turned his head back, giving him an indignant look. 

 

   “He did. They were on quite friendly terms at that time actually,” Grey replied, trying not to seem too amused. 

 

   “You make it sound like they no longer are,” Kai raised his eyebrows because Grey’s words piqued his interest. 

 

   “I am not sure to be honest. Could be because after your father’s passing, master Cassius began to focus on taking over the family business full time and they had a falling out. When master Cassius began to support his sister they no longer seemed to see eye to eye,” Grey tried to explain to the best of his abilities but the truth was that he never involved himself in his boss’ personal matters if it wasn’t about his younger brother. 

 

   There was something missing in that story and Kai chewed on his lip as he tried to come up with theories about what could possibly happen. He also thought about the odds that it was Cassius’ friend who got washed up on the beach in front of his house that night. One would think he ran far enough from the reach of this dark world but as he realized, his twisted fate had him yet again at the palm of its hand, unable to shake off the phantoms of his past. The fact that he managed to fall for this man made his stomach twist, as he tried to imagine what his brother’s reaction would be if he would bring Lay in to introduce him as his partner. 

 

   Is that even possible now? Kai thought to himself when the reality of his situation sat in. Lay left him behind and disappeared for a year, despite his promise that he will come back. And now that he had the chance to take his mind off of the endless waiting and eventually move on, he once again resurfaces as if Kai wasn’t allowed to forget him. 

 

   But after all they made a promise that they won’t forget each other. 

 

   A stinging sensation on his arm woke Kai from his trance. Did just someone pinch his shoulder? 

 

   “Are you doing this normally? Or are you sick?” Atlas asked and hastily took a step back when he saw the murderous glare Kai pointed his way. 

 

   “What the hell do you mean?”

 

   “You keep spacing out!” His cousin complained. 

 

   “Actually your friend told me that this happens quite often and it’s for the best if we leave you to it,” Grey noted, reading through something on his phone. “May I ask how he came to acquire my phone number, young master?”

 

   As he let out an awkward chuckle Kai tried to avoid Grey’s intense stare. “I didn’t know he would actually bother you like this.”

 

   Grey sighed and handed Kai his phone with their messages open for him to see, “To bother would be an understatement.”

 

   Kai furrowed his eyebrows and quickly scanned through them. To his shock he actually had to scroll through almost a hundred messages to see them all. 

 

   “I thought the idiot was joking,” Kai rubbed the bridge of his nose in frustration. “I apologize for him, Grey,” he smiled remorsefully as he handed him the phone. 

 

   “No need, young master. He was actually able to provide me with some useful information,” Grey admitted. 

 

   “What do you mean?”

 

   “Apparently he takes pride in being your physician and gave me lectures about how to take care of your health. Without him I wouldn’t know you suffer from regular migraines and insomnia, for example.”

 

   Kai swallowed hard when he noticed the stern expression on Grey’s face. He had to be pretty upset when that annoying islander started lecturing him about issues he had no idea existed. 

 

   “We might have to go to a hospital so we can let a proper physician examine you to make sure your health is properly monitored,” Grey stated, seemingly uncomfortable with the fact that someone else made him feel like he’s not doing his job properly. 

 

   “What do you mean by a proper physician?? Ash is a doctor! An excellent one at that. Don’t think too little of him just because he owns a clinic on the island and isn’t working as a surgeon in the city,” Kai raised his voice, not noticing how angry he actually sounded until he saw how taken aback both of the men in the room were. “Ehm… anyways. I am not going to see any other doctor apart from him. If you want to know my anamnesis or whatever, you can ask Ash.” He folded his arms stubbornly, trying to ignore how his body shivered under the thought of going to the hospital to be examined by a stranger. 

 

   “My apologies, young master,” Grey nodded obediently and decided against pursuing this matter any further. His sorrowful eyes then fell on the display on his phone, pitying himself for having to cooperate with that uncanny man who’d he wished to never meet again. Grey didn’t know the reason why just the thought of that man caused him a minor headache,, but he tried his hardest not to let it get in the way of his duty. Although he would never admit to it, he secretly admired the man’s devotion to his young master and his well being. He was grateful that someone so caring and pure hearted was by Kai’s side all this time to watch over him. 




   An hour later, Kai stood in front of a mirror, admiring Atlas’ work. His new haircut suited his slim face and he wasn’t even mad about the change of color to a darker shade. He brushed his fingers along the soft fabric on his sleeve. The expensive black suit was carefully tailored to fit perfectly and to Kai’s surprise, it was quite comfortable. 

 

   “Just a little detail,” Atlas added when he pinned a silver chain to his collar decorated with brooches in the shape of little roses that were one of the symbols in their family crest. “Perfect,” he beamed, clearly satisfied with his work.

 

   “One more,” Grey stepped closer to Kai and handed him a small black box that had their family crest carved on the top. 

 

      Kai hesitated before he opened it to see their silver family ring sitting on top of a piece of white satin fabric. 

 

   “Now, you’re officially the new head of the Villarreal family, master Caelum,” Grey announced with a firm voice, but his eyes were filled with pride. He didn’t want to admit how moved he was to see the young boy he’s watched growing up under the dark shadows of his family all grown up, ready to fight those demons head on.

 

   Kai took the ring and carefully put it on his index finger as he let out a shaky breath and turned to look himself in the eye in the mirror’s reflection. He couldn’t recognize the man who was staring back at him but maybe it was for the better since it was the role he had to play. The role he’s been trying to avoid his whole life. Yet here he was, ready to take over as the head of the family for his brother’s sake. Reminding himself this is all just for him, Kai tried to muster up his courage and gave himself a fearless look together with an affirmative nod. 

 

I wish you were here, brother. I finally look like a person worthy of standing by your side.








0