Chapter 20 – In endless motion
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Grey kept running them through the current plan. 

Atlas went back to his seat in the armchair and seemed to be paying more of his attention to his phone rather to what Grey was saying, but neither of the bodyguards dared to reprimand him and Kai didn’t care. He was preoccupied by his own thoughts that raged in his mind, causing a sharp pain in his temples. But he didn’t want to show how exhausted he was by the endless planning and strategizing or how anxious the presence of Ryan made him feel. He was getting tired of the never ending pretending but he knew that this was barely the start.

“… and you are scheduled to meet with Olivia Sullivan later this week,” Grey finished going through Kai’s harmonogram for the week as he took off his glasses and started to clean them because he managed to get them dirty without knowing where or how.

Kai furrowed his eyebrows and turned to look at him. “Olivia?”

Lay’s sister?

“Yes, young master. After all she is to be your gratest ally among the other clans. We need to get her on your side as soon as possible so I scheduled for you two to have a meeting so you can discuss the matter regarding you taking over,” Grey explained, hoping Kai would accept being forced to meet another stranger. He still wanted to be careful about how quickly he threw him to swim among the sharks, but the dare situation at hand forced him to to be merciless in this regard.

“Alright,” Kai nodded, accepting his fate. He will at least get the chance to learn more about the Sullivan family beforehand and hopefully gain someone who would have his back when he’s going to have to step in front of the rest of the leaders. 

Grey was surprised by how easily Kai went along with the plan, but was pleased by how bravely he took on the challenge. 

“Oh, see?” Atlas finally looked up from his phone with a grin. “You will finally get to see the Ice prince!”

“The Ice prince?” Kai frowned in confusion also taken by surprise how Atlas never seemed to be paying attention but always ended up hearing everything that was said.

“Yeah! Talay Sullivan,” Atlas explained. “You were so interested in him before and you will finally get to meet him, isn’t that great?” he clapped his hand excitedly, impatient to see this new drama unfold. 

Ignoring Atlas’ silly remarks, Kai turned to Grey. “He’s going to be there as well?”

He swallowed hard, trying to come up with the scenario that would play out if they actually met. It was apparent that they would have to face each other eventually but he didn’t know it would be this soon. Was he ready for this encounter? He doubted it.

But to his disappointment Grey nodded to affirm. “After all he is the second leader of the family so it is highly possible that he will come along.”

Shit, Kai cursed in his mind and rubbed his pulsing temples.

“Oh Caelum,” Atlas giggled. “You don’t have to be nervous about meeting your crush!”

But his teasing grin faded when he spotted the murderous glare Kai threw his way. Pouting, Atlas avoided his eyes, upset with the fact that his cousin was way too touchy today and couldn’t take a joke.

Ryan listened to the conversation, hiding his keen interest that was piqued especially after what Atlas said. He knew the young man was often spewing nonsence just to tease someone but his remarks were rarely completely groundless so he wondered how he got the idea of Kai being interested of the second leader of the Sullivan family. 

Without thinking, he turned his curious eyes towards Kai who sat behind Cassius’ desk, swirling his ring around his middle finger, buried in his own thoughts. What a strange sight to see. The young boy he once knew was now sitting in front of him as his new boss, looking far from what he remembered him to be. 

It’s been 8 years since he last saw him so the changes in his appearance were understandable. But he kept looking for that familiar innocence in his pure pale eyes that he was used to seeing almost every day. However, to his disappointment, he could barely spot the light behind his eyes that used to light up his whole world whenever the younger man looked at him. They were clouded with an impenetrable veil of something unreadable and heavy that caused his heart to ache.  

At first he found it amusing how the young man kept avoiding any eye contact with him but now that he got a closer look at him he realized that this person was someone he couldn’t recognise and he felt the heavy feeling of guilt weighing down on his shoulders. Just what exactly went on behind those walls he put up? 

“I will end today’s meeting here,” Grey announced as he got up from his seat. He noticed that Kai was already struggling, probably tormented by another migraine and Atlas was no longer paying attention as he was eagerly typing on his phone. “You should rest, young master,” he said softly with a hidden concern in his eyes, observing as Kai kept staring into space.

“Yeah what’s up with you, Caelum? You look pale,” Atlas furrowed his eyebrows but he rather seemed like he wanted to keep teasing his cousin instead of helping to ease his mind. But once he received a warning look from Grey, he obediently got up from his seat and excused himself before he left the room, saying he had somewhere to be.

“I will bring you some medicine together with your lunch,” Grey declared and didn’t waste any more time before he also went out the door, leaving the two men alone. 

“You really don’t look well,” Ryan spoke up after a moment of awkward silence. But with no response from the younger man, which caused him to clear his throat in case he could catch his attention like this. 

“You’re free to go,” Kai murmured as he slowly listed through some documents in his hands. He still desperately tried to catch up with the business that his brother was running so he wouldn’t mess up anything until he returns.

“What?” Ryan was taken aback by his cold approach.

“Don’t make me repeat myself.” Lifting his gaze from the papers, Kai buried his eyes into Ryan’s, no longer phased by their intensity. “The meeting is over, you can go back to your duties,” he said calmly with a hint of warning in his tone. He was basically telling Ryan to get lost.

But Ryan still refused to get the message. “My duty is to look after you now. And is this really all you have to say?” His thick eyebrows hidden under his fringe of black hair furrowed with confusion. He didn’t appreciate being chased away after they finally got the chance to talk alone. 

“What else do you want me to say? I would also appreciate it, if you'd show some respect. I am your boss after all,” Kai pointed out with a detached expression. 

“I am sorry, young master,” Ryan corrected himself when he realized how rude he was acting in front of the new head of the family. “But I’d like to talk to you.” 

“And I’d rather not,” Kai shot down his request and stood up from his seat. “I have a lot on my plate right now and I don’t find it necessary to meddle in the past. So do your job and behave accordingly to your position and I’ll do my part.” 

Ryan was left speechless. Was this really the boy he used to know? There were times when he would take a bullet for him but now that it was actually his job to protect him with his life, he felt like Kai was too far from his reach.

“You’re dismissed,” Kai repeated his words. “I will call for you if needed.”

The bodyguard wanted to protest but the warning glare that Kai was piercing through him told him that he shouldn’t test the patience of his new temporary boss. 

“Yes, young master,” Ryan bowed before he turned on his heel and left the room. 

Kai followed Ryan out with his gaze until the door closed behind him and he sank back to his chair, letting out a deep sigh. Whenever he thought that this situation couldn’t get any messier, something would go and slap him right across the face to prove him wrong. 

“Just how much more will I have to endure?” he mumbled to himself, rubbing his face in exhaustion when a knock on the door startled him and he hurriedly looked up, expecting another new face to walk in. 

“Come in.” 

To his relief, it was Grey. 

“Your lunch, young master.” Grey put down a tray in front of Kai, who eyed the food curiously. “I also brought you some painkillers so please take them after you eat,” he instructed him, hoping it would help Kai to feel a bit better. 

“What’s the schedule for today again?” Kai asked as he swallowed the pill first and only then he started to eat, ignoring Grey’s disapproving look.

“You will have some free time after your meal and I’d like to take you to the gym in the evening to see how your physical condition is,” Grey replied, preparing himself for the following protests of his young master. 

“Hmm,” Kai nodded with his mouth full, surprising his secretary once again. 

It was admirable how easygoing Kai was with the plans that were set for him and it made Grey wonder just how far out of his comfort Kai was willing to go. 

“May I ask you something, young master?” Grey broke the silence after he saw that Kai was nearly done with his meal.

“Mhm,” Kai agreed. “But can we go downstairs together? I’d like a cup of coffee.” He stood up and took the tray into his hands. 

“No need for that, young master. I’ll take care of it,” Grey hurriedly tried to take the tray away from him but failed when Kai dodged his reached out hands and walked over to the door.

“Grey, let me remind you that I’ve been living on my own for years. I am used to taking care of myself and I would appreciate it if you’d respect my attempts at being independent,” Kai scoffed but was determined to stand his ground. It was slowly getting on his nerves how Grey was always breathing down his neck, babysitting him as if Kai was absolutely useless. 

“But-“

“-Grey,” he cut him off. “Please. At least within the house,” he begged him with pleading eyes. “Let me have at least this one thing that feels normal to me.”

“As you wish, young master,” Grey obediently bowed his head, surrendering to the young man.

“Great,” Kai beamed happily, slowly feeling the effects of the painkiller numbing his headache. “Now let’s have some coffee.” 

“So, what did you want to ask?” Kai looked up at Grey while he was preparing two cups of coffee. The tall man in front of him kept shifting uncomfortably and fidgeting with his glasses, seemingly feeling out of place when his young master served him.

“Ehm,” he cleared his throat, trying to keep his composure as they sat down together by the dining table that seemed unnecessarily big when it was only the two of them sitting there. “It was about Ryan.”

Kai froze as he was about to take a sip from his coffee.


“What about him?” he mumbled and turned his gaze away, inspecting the huge painting that hung over the fireplace nearby. He’s seen it countless times and he honestly hated it, but at that moment it seemed extremely interesting. 

“Pardon me if I cross the line here but…” Grey hesitated as he tried to formulate his sentence, “you seem quite uncomfortable around him, young master.” 

No wonder that Kai’s strange behavior didn’t escape Grey’s keen eyes. 

“I am aware that you’ve never been too fond of new people but something is telling me that there’s more to it,” Grey mumbled as he swirled around with the spoon in his cup, thinking hard about what went down in the office. He left them alone in the room on purpose in hopes Ryan would make an effort to properly introduce himself and get on Kai’s good side. But when he saw him later leaving with a dark expression on his face, he realized that these two were hiding something from him. Ryan was pretty much an open book for him and he rarely kept anything from Grey who was his biggest companion in the house ever since Ryan started his training as the bodyguard, of course under Grey. 

“You should’ve been a detective,” Kai noted, startling Grey who was buried in his thoughts for a good moment. “Nothing slips under your radar.”

“So I was right?” 

Nodding hesitantly, Kai cleared his throat as he warily said, “We have a history.” 

“I think I figured that much,” Grey noted, letting his sassy tone slip and he immediately raised his apologetic eyes to his young master but he didn’t seem to mind, instead he chuckled in amusement.

“Of course.” Leaning against the back of his seat, Kai let out a deep sigh. 

“So what’s going on here, young master?” Grey shifted in his seat, eager to hear the full story. Or so he hoped that Kai would be willing to uncover at least a portion of it.

“I don’t know myself to tell you the truth,” Kai admitted. “The basic story is that we both attended the boarding school my parents sent me to.”

Grey’s eyes widened in surprise. He’s read Ryan’s file so how did he not connect the dots? But then he realized that back when his young master was sent abroad, the whole thing was kept under wraps so Cassius wouldn’t find out about his whereabouts. It’s possible that he had actually never seen the name of the school Kai was sent to.

“And we were… close to say the least,” Kai admitted.

“How close?” 

Kai gave him a look when he noticed how casually Grey spoke to him but he didn’t have the urge to point it out since it was much more comfortable to talk to him this way. It gave him the feeling that they are a bit closer and the sense of security allowed him to open up more.

“So close that I ended up confessing to him on his last day of school.”

A moment of silence followed Kai’s statement as Grey wondered how exactly he should react to the news. He was aware that something was going on but he would never have guessed that they had this type of relationship.

“Ehm,” Grey cleared his throat, “judging from your interaction, the story doesn’t have a happy ending.” 

“Indeed,” Kai confirmed. “He ended up rejecting me and left without saying goodbye.”

“That’s… harsh,” Grey commented, frowning down on the cup in his hands. He felt the need to immediately find Ryan and give him a piece of his mind for hurting his young master’s feelings like that although that would be out of line.

“Mhm,” Kai nodded and scoffed when he thought back to that time. He let out another long sigh as he leaned his head backwards and stared at the ceiling for a moment. “I actually didn’t have the time to properly process my broken heart because soon after my mom got sick and you know the rest of the story.” 

Grey bit the inside of his cheek when he thought back to that time when Kai returned to this mansion, looking as broken as ever. Back then he seemed like a lifeless soul just floating through the hallways of this house and only when he mended his relationship with Cassius he seemed to gain back some of the light in his eyes back. 

“If you’re uncomfortable with having Ryan around, I can assure that I won’t involve him in our meetings anymore, young master,” Grey offered.

Kai let out a shaky chuckle and shook his head. “No need. I’d like to think that his presence doesn’t phase me as much. After all, it's all history now and it can’t keep me from executing the plan and finding my brother.” 

“I am proud of you, young master,” Grey spoke out suddenly, taking Kai by surprise. “You are all grown up now.”

They both shared a long meaningful look without saying a word. Kai never realized how much he craved to hear that until his stomach filled with a pleasant warmth that Grey’s words brought. He’s been starved for the acknowledgment of others ever since he was little and he finally felt seen. For once his efforts didn’t go unnoticed. 

Giving Grey a grateful smile, Kai looked down into his cup of coffee, breaking eye contact.

“But if I may suggest something,” Grey spoke up again after he seemed he was debating something in his mind, “you should try to talk to Ryan. Just to resolve the unsettled feelings.” 

“Wow, Grey.”

“What?”

“I know you’re a man of many hidden talents but I wouldn’t expect you to turn into my life coach as well,” Kai chuckled as he shook his head in amusement. He didn’t want to admit it but Grey had a point. If Kai was to succeed in playing his role, he had to cooperate with Ryan and thus he had to find a way to settle their unfinished business.

Grey was about to say something but the ringtone of his phone interrupted him. He pulled the phone out of the pocket inside his jacket, checking the caller's ID. 

“What?” Kai asked curiously when Grey rubbed the bridge of his nose in frustration.

“I think you better pickup this one, young master,” Grey muttered as he handed his phone to Kai. 

Kai took the phone with a confused expression but once he saw who was calling he just laughed and accepted it. 

“I told you not to bother my secretary, Ash,” he reprimanded his friend and put it on speaker as he laid it on the table so both of them could hear. 

[Hello to you too, my friend.] 

Ash’s cheerful voice echoed through the dining hall. [Did Grey already give up the ownership of his phone?]

“I feel like he’s soon going to,” Kai replied as he watched his secretary who just silently sipped on his coffee. “What do you need?” 

[Should I give you a list?]

“Spare me, please.” He could feel his mood changing as he listened to his friend’s rambling, his lips curving into a soft smile. 

But it wasn’t supposed to last, because he soon noticed that it was no longer just him and Grey in the room. 

Ryan walked in with his tray of food and hesitated upon seeing the two of them sitting at the table. But Grey beckoned him to sit with them since he felt bad about chasing him away and so the black haired man slowly made his way over to them and sat down next to Grey. 

[Hey, Grey!] 

Ash demanded the secretary’s attention. 

“Mhm,” Grey made a sound to assure the man of his presence. 

[Hope you’re looking after Kai properly.]

Confused, Ryan looked up from his plate of food and eyed the phone. Who was it and how does he speak so casually with Grey? And who the hell is Kai?

“I can assure you that young master is in great hands,” Grey replied with a neutral tone but it was apparent that he wasn’t in the mood for chatting with the doctor who probably had too much free time on his hands. 

Ryan just silently eavesdropped on the conversation, trying to figure out what was going on as he kept playing with his food. 

[I wanted your email or something so I could send you Kai’s files. Just in case.]

“Ash,” Kai groaned in annoyance. “I am still here and I can hear you.”

[So what?? What if you get hurt? Huh? Grey needs to know this stuff!]

“For once, I’d like to agree with Ashton,” Grey spoke up, displeased by the fact that he just said that out loud. 

[The hell did you just call me??] 

Ash’s voice was filled with rather surprise than annoyance. He’s never heard anyone calling him by his full name. 

“Your name,” Grey retorted coldly. 

[Well excuse you, but no one calls me like that. Right, Kai?] 

Kai who witnessed their harmless bickering in silence rubbed his face and mumbled something under his breath. 

“If I have to get used to my own name again, you have to as well,” Kai decided. 

Finally Ryan seemed to understand the situation. The name Kai actually belonged to his new boss while the man on the phone seemed to be someone close to him. He couldn’t help himself but reminisce about the times he got to talk to Kai this way in the past. 

[Oh right. What was it again? Calum?] 

Kai unintentionally lifted his gaze towards Ryan who had a strange expression on his face but when their eyes met, Kai quickly looked away. 

“Caelum,” he corrected his friend, uncomfortable with the deja vu he felt. 

[Meh. I don’t like it. Kai’s way better.] 

“Thank you,” Kai scoffed. “How’s Ava by the way?” 

[Seriously? You’re asking about her wellbeing over mine? How come you haven’t asked about me yet? Have you forgotten who’s your actual best friend?]

Ash’s voice carried a hint of sadness thanks to him being overly dramatic. Grey and Kai exchanged humored looks over the way Ash was blowing things out of proportions. 

“How could I not know about what you’re up to when you keep bothering Grey all day long?” Kai reasoned with his friend. 

[Fair point… okay. Ava’s all good. She just complains all the time about how busy she is now that she has to manage the beach bar without you. Some regulars were even asking about you, especially that guy Sun. He wouldn’t leave her alone and kept asking if you ran away because your boyfriend broke up with you- oh sorry I shouldn’t have mentioned that!] 

A slap could be heard from the other side of the line when Ash slapped his forehead in realization that he let his mouth slip. 

“I think we should end the call here,” Kai decided when he noticed the looks both Grey and Ryan gave him. “Thanks, Ash. As if I didn’t have enough bullshit on my plate.” 

[I am sorry, buddy. But I am sure Grey will be a good sport and let it go, right?]

“…”

[Right?] 

“I feel like for once we will have something to talk about,” Grey spoke up, his eyes glued towards Kai who shifted uncomfortably.

“I forbid both of you from discussing this matter any further,” Kai warned them with a murderous glare.

[I bet he’s glaring at you, right?] Ash spoke to Grey, knowing exactly what was going on without him actually seeing it. 

“Indeed,” Grey confirmed and cleared his throat.

[Okay time to abort the mission! Send me your email so I can give you the files and Kai?]

“Yes?” 

[Be good and don’t give Grey too much trouble.]

Kai blinked in surprise, his eyes darting between the phone and Grey. “Since when are you concerned about him?” 

[Since we became parents with their child in shared custody.]

This time it was Grey who blinked in surprise.

“What?” he gaped at the phone laying on the table.

[Ah i got a patient! Talk to you later boys!] 

“Ash-“ 

A beeping sound signaling that the call was disconnected cut off what Kai was about to say. 

“Did he really call me a child?” Kai frowned.

“Did he indicate that you are our child?” Grey mirrored Kai’s expression as both of them stared at the phone in confusion.

“He seems like a cool guy.” 

The two pairs of bewildered eyes were pointed towards Ryan who just finished his meal and was observing them with amusement. 

“I beg to differ,” Grey disagreed and rubbed the bridge of his nose in frustration. 

“To his defense Ash actually is a great guy. He’s just sometimes too much. But he’s helped me through so many tough times and I am forever indebted to him,” Kai tried to stand up for his friend even though Grey didn’t seem convinced. 

“I am not saying that I am not grateful to him for looking out for you all these years, young master,” Grey tried to explain. “He’s just…” he hesitated as he wasn’t sure how to describe his opinion on Ash.

“He’s just Ash,” Kai shrugged, completely understanding of how Grey felt. 

“Exactly,” Grey nodded but then he turned to Ryan. “Were you able to contact the Morgan clan?” 

Ryan shook his head with a pitiful expression.

“The Morgan clan?” 

The name sounded familiar to Kai; he was sure he read it in the description of the active mafia clans but at that moment he couldn’t figure out who they were exactly.

“Yes. It was their territory where master Cassius was last seen and we’ve been trying to persuade them to try to find out more information since they have the biggest influence in that area.”

“Let me guess- they don’t cooperate.” Kai smirked when he saw the piteous grimace Grey made. 

“Unfortunately their boss is one of the people who are actually profiting from the fact that master Cassius is gone,” Grey explained. “They’ve been the biggest distributors of drugs in the area and your brother has been in constant conflict with them because of that.” 

“What if they have something to do with Cass’ disappearance?” Kai thought out loud.

“We’ve already considered that possibility but it doesn’t make sense. Logically they are the main suspects so if they actually did it, they would willingly put a target on their backs. And it’s not just us who would be after them but also the whole alliance.” 

Grey’s words made sense which raised a wave of frustration that washed over Kai. He was hopeful that they would get some kind of lead on his brother going off the radar but they always seemed to hit a dead end. Even Grey who took off his glasses and laid them on the table to rub his tired eyes seemed exhausted by the endless searching and investigating. 

But Kai’s curious eyes landed on Ryan who remained silent. Weirdly, his expression was unreadable as he sat there with his hands in his lap, staring into space. He was Cassius’ head bodyguard and he should’ve been there but for some reason Cassisus assigned them both to be somewhere else. But compared to Grey, who seemed extremely guilty whenever Cassius’ case was mentioned, Ryan was calmer than expected. 

Not wanting to be biased, Kai tried to push that thought out as he stared at that horrendous painting over the fireplace depicting some kind of a battle scene. Strangely enough his scattered thoughts resembled the numerous soldiers fighting among each other over who knows what, every single one of them wielding their weapon with resolute and unswerving determination to win for the cause they believed in. But what was it that he was fighting for exactly?

0