Chapter 26 – Party killer
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

    The moment Kai got back to the mansion after the meeting, he started to feel as if he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. He finally got to breathe freely but it didn’t bring him any comfort since his mind was still preoccupied with the previous events. As if it wasn’t enough for the day, Grey announced that the same night he had to attend the opening party of the new club. Just the thought of having to go out where he’s going to be forced to face even more people caused him a major headache. Kai no longer wanted to pretend. The role he had to play was slowly wearing him off like a pair of used jeans and he once again felt the need to just run away and hide. There was no strength left in him to hide his true feelings yet he was still asked to go and act as if he was on top of the world. 

 

    Cassius was still missing and there was no news of him and Kai was just trying to figure out whether it’s better that way since it means they haven’t found him dead. Whenever he thought of that possibility that his brother might be in grave danger or even dead, his whole being shuddered under the weight of the sadness and despair. They needed to hurry but he felt stuck as if someone would glue his feet to the ground, keeping him from moving forward. There was a specific task set in front of him and the people around only seemed to try to keep him distracted instead of allowing him to fully focus on finding Cassius. The frustration was welling up inside him and it was only a matter of time until he would no longer be able to keep it together. 

 

    Kai wanted to be brave and do this right. He wanted to trust Ryan and Grey that they’re doing everything in their power to find his brother yet he couldn’t help himself but doubted if they were actually doing anything about it. In the end the only one he could trust is himself. 

 

    “That looks presentable enough,” Atlas murmured as he nodded to himself, trying to finish up the last details while dressing Kai for the important event. “And wipe that exhausted expression from your face or I will have to put on ton of make up on you to cover it up.” 

 

    “I am afraid it’s burned into my skin by now,” Kai replied as he stared at his reflection in the mirror. He was still not used to seeing that version of himself. All dressed up and decorated as if he was just a pretty jewel that was supposed to divert ones attention from the obvious- that he was just a pawn playing a part in the malicious game. 

 

    “The car is waiting downstairs,” Ryan announced when he entered the room but when he saw Kai, he stopped in his tracks to properly observe his outfit, eyes filled with admiration. He had to hold himself from complimenting him since he was aware he was still dancing on thin ice when it came to his relationship with Kai, but still a small smile appeared on his lips as his eyes ran him up and down. 

 

     Atlas, who was unaware of Ryan’s temporary perplexity, chimed in, “I heard the meeting went well.”

 

    “Hm,” Kai hummed as he tried to fix his hair before they headed out. “Depends on how you look at it.” 

 

    “Well the way I am looking at it is that Talay Sullivan seems to like you.” Atlas grinned mischievously.

 

    Kai turned to him with a questioning look, not sure what he was pointing out. 

 

     “I heard he complimented you on how well you handled it,” Atlas explained, nonchalantly looking at his nails that he painted with dark red color to go along with his outfit. His hair was no longer pink and was instead bleached to a light blonde which only confirmed Grey’s words about how he changes the color of his hair more often than not. 

 

    “But you weren’t there,” Kai pointed out, confused how Atlas obtained this information. 

 

    “I have my ways.” Atlas winked sheepishly. 

 

    “You know what, I am not in the mood to continue this conversation,” Kai sighed, waving off Atlas’ attempts to fish for more drama. “Let’s get it over with.” 

 

     For once, Atlas seemed to be understanding towards Kai’s anxiousness about the party they were heading to and so he just remained silent and entertained himself with his phone on their way to the club, making a mental note to bother his cousin later when he’s in a better mood.

 

***

 

    The situation seemed peaceful, considering Kai was trapped in a crowded place full of strangers with blasting music that made his head hurt. To his relief he was led to a VIP lounge on the second floor of the club where he could oversee the whole event from afar. He was able to gracefully make small talk with the important guests which seemed to entertain them enough to soon leave him to mingle with the rest of the people and so he had a moment to himself.

 

     “This isn’t exactly a beach bar huh?” A familiar voice came from behind Kai’s back. 

 

     Kai didn’t even have to turn around to see the person, the shivers running down his spine were already a reliable indicator of who he was. 

 

     “This is as far from my element as it gets,” Kai murmured as he sipped from his glass. His eyes wandered to the bartender who was skillfully mixing drinks for the guests while entertaining them with a dashing smile. Somehow he got reminded of his job back at the island and a sense of nostalgia tugged at his heart when he remembered that this is how he was with his customers as well.

 

    “He’s not as good as you,” Lay noted when he noticed the direction Kai’s eyes were drawn. “And he’s definitely not that handsome.”

 

    “Would you stop that?” Kai clicked his tongue in annoyance and quickly scanned their surroundings just in case someone could over hear them.

 

     “Oh cmon.” Lay waved him off. “There’s so much noise that you’re literally the only one who can hear me.” 

 

    “Are you sure?” 

 

    The voice neither of them wanted to hear was followed by someone stepping between them and throwing both of his arms around their shoulders.

 

     “So what’s going on here, huh?” Atlas gave both of the men a meaningful look.

 

     “What do you mean?” Kai furrowed his eyebrows, trying to play it cool. 

 

     “Something is telling me that you two got too close way too quickly,” Atlas pointed out.

 

     Kai let out a deep sigh when he got a strong sense of deja vu as he freed himself from Atlas’s grasp and took a step back. Ash had the same reaction when Kai and Lay were back at the island and it made him wonder whether they actually were that obvious. 

 

     “Oh don’t worry, dear Caelum. I am not here to lecture you.” Atlas shrugged with a playful grin. “I’ll leave that to Grey. I am actually really happy that you finally got to meet your person of interest.” 

 

    “What’s that supposed to mean?” Lay frowned, not trying to hide the fact how irritated he was by Atlas’ presence. He never liked the guy and the way he interrupted his precious time with Kai only added to his frustration. But he couldn’t deny how his mind was sparked with curiosity by what Atlas said.

 

     “I mean ever since Caelum saw you he was-“

 

     “Atlas, I think that’s enough,” Kai cut him off with a threatening tone. 

 

     “Why? Are you shy?” Atlas obviously had no boundaries when it came to sticking his nose in other people’s business.

 

    “Should I be?” Kai argued as he folded his arms, trying to keep his composure.

 

    “You tell me. You were the one, who kept asking about Mr. Sullivan here and couldn’t stop thinking about him,” Atlas commented as he shrugged nonchalantly although the playful glint in his eyes was what gave him away. He was loving every second of their conversation.

 

     “So you had your eye on me ever since you came back?” Lay gently nudged Kai with his shoulder, trying to make light of the situation. 

 

    “Nonsense,” Kai retorted. “Atlas, where is Grey? I haven’t seen him since this afternoon,” he tried to change the subject, hoping that Atlas would play along just for his own sake otherwise Kai would be ready to punch his dear cousin.

 

    “Oh, right. He went to negotiate with the Morgans with some of our men. I guess you made an impression on that meeting and they seemed more willing to provide us with more information.” Atlas luckily took the bait, possibly because he sensed the malice in his cousin’s demeanor.

 

     “I doubt it,” Kai sneered as he took a sip from his drink, hoping to numb his wrecked nerves at least a bit. “There is something fishy about them.” 

 

    “Don’t worry too much, Caelum. He’s going to be fine,” Atlas comforted him as he patted his back and turned to Lay. “I’ll leave him to you then. I am going to go and do my job.” 

 

     “Which is?” Lay raised his eyebrows doubtfully.

 

    “To have fun,” Atlas replied with a grin as he turned on his heel and headed back to the first floor, probably to mingle with the guests. 

 

     “Can’t believe you two are family.” Lay shook his head in amusement but once he spotted the absent expression on Kai’s face he let out a deep sigh. “For real. One just can’t resist to socialize and the other one wishes he could be anywhere else but here.”

 

     “Shut it,” Kai hissed and looked around. He found what he was searching for when he spotted an exit that lead onto an outside balcony. “Let’s have a smoke,” he offered and didn’t even wait for Lay’s answer when he headed outside.

 

      “Don’t get me wrong,” Lay said as he exhaled the smoke. They both were standing next to each other while leaning onto the glass railing. The noise of the lively atmosphere inside the club still could be heard from the inside but it was much more bearable. “I remember how much I struggled when I was younger and was first introduced to the family business. Can’t imagine how difficult it has to be when you’re just thrown into it like that.” 

 

    “You’re mistaken,” Kai objected as he smoked his own cigarette. “I grew up in this environment and I am quite familiar with how things go. The thing is that there always used to be some kind of wall between me and,” Kai gestured around, “this.” 

 

    “What do you mean?” 

 

    “Well my father made sure that both me and my brother are well aware of what our family does from an early age,” Kai continued to explain but had to stop to take a long drag out of his cigarette as he weighed his next words. “But still it was always my brother who was supposed to be the next leader, not me. So while he was getting more and more familiar with how things go, I was forced to stay behind and watch from the sidelines.” 

 

    “That must’ve been tough,” Lay mumbled with a clouded expression. 

 

     “Quite the opposite. I hated strangers and basically everything that had to do with this business so I was glad I never had to get involved.” Shaking his head, Kai let out a bitter chuckle. “For the majority of my life I was hidden away in that godforsaken mansion yet I always knew what was happening outside. I lived through everything with my brother, despite how much they tried to protect me.”

 

     “How come they protected only you and not him, though?”

 

     Kai remained silent.

 

    “Because that’s what baffles me the most. While you were locked away, Cassius on the other hand was forced to be a leader from a very young age.” Lay’s tone was heated with anger and Kai would never expect him to get so worked up for his brother’s sake. Once again he was reminded of how strong their friendship must have been despite how Lay talked about it being all rocky and complicated.

 

    “There was something no one talks about,” Kai admitted and had to swallow hard in an attempt to get rid of the lump in his throat.

 

     “Are you willing to tell me?” 

 

    Kai looked up at Lay and their eyes met. He was searching his eyes for something he could hold onto, a sense of comfort perhaps. Something that would assure him that he can share his secrets with him, knowing Lay would keep them safe. 

 

    Lay’s eyes were filled with gentle genuineness and pure concern and when Kai caught onto those emotions a small smile formed on his lips.

 

     “I was kidnapped when I was little.” 

 

    “What? I thought it only happened before that stupid rumor about your death started.”

 

    “Yeah.” Kai let out a shaky breath. “The first time it happened, I was very little and I can barely remember anything. I just remember the sound of gunfire and how petrified I was. I couldn’t speak afterwards. Not a word. I was terrified of strangers and even way later my brother was the only one I was willing to talk to.” 

 

     Kai felt Lay’s firm grip on his arm as a form of comforting gesture. They both wished it could be more. Truthfully, Lay didn’t wish for anything else but to be able to pull Kai into a tight embrace where he could hide him away from this cruel world. All he wanted was to keep him safe so no one could ever hurt him like that and the glistening tears in Kai’s eyes were like little pins being pierced through his heart.

 

      “Ever since then my parents decided I am to be hidden away while my brother took it upon himself to bear the burden by himself. Even after I got older and somehow managed to get over my trauma no one had ever asked me about my opinion.” Pressing his lips tightly together, Kai stared off into the distance as he tried his best to not let his tears fall. The last thing he needed was for someone to see him in such a pitiful state. 

 

     “And if they did ask you? What would you say?” 

 

     Kai’s wary eyes turned to Lay and for a moment he seemed taken aback. How was it that Lay was the one to ask him? How come that this person always knew what he wanted to hear and gave him the validation he seeked? 

 

     “That all I ever wanted,” Kai spoke with a quivering voice, “was to be there for my brother the way he was there for me.” 

 

     Silence filled the air around them as they both stood there, looking into each other’s eyes that were filled with mutual fondness and warmth. Lay was the first one to break eye contact only to warily look around. When he spotted what he was searching for he quickly grabbed Kai by his hand and pulled him in the direction of the staircase that led down to the alley behind the club serving as a fire escape. 

 

     “Where are we going?” Kai asked in confusion as he tried to keep up with Lay’s hasty pace. 

 

     Lay didn’t answer until they were both standing under the staircase, hidden away in the darkness where no one could see them. 

 

    “I love you,” Lay whispered as he pulled Kai into a tight embrace. 

 

     Kai’s at first tense body soon relaxed the longer he remained in the warmth of Lay’s arms as he rested his head on his shoulder. Closing his eyes, he inhaled Lay’s familiar scent that brought him a sense of relief and comfort that he yearned for. After a while, Lay reached for Kai’s face that he gently held up to be able to look into his eyes and no longer hesitated before he met their lips in a deep breathless kiss. 

 

     Both of them wanted to drown in that moment of their lips melting into each other in endless tenderness and fondness and they would if it wasn’t for the sudden noise that made them wince and break the kiss. It wasn’t until they heard it for a second time that they realised what it actually was. 

 

     “Are those gunshots?” Kai furrowed his eyebrows in concern and once was once again caught by surprise by another shooting sound that cut through the air. 

 

     “It’s coming from the club!” Lay’s eyes widened in shock. “Quick!” he commanded when he grabbed Kai’s hand and pulled him back in the direction of the stairs.

 

     When they reached the balcony they were left to watch in horror the unveiling situation in the club that was in utter chaos. People were running around, some of them were trying to find a place to hide, some were shooting at the attackers in a deafening mixture of screams and gunfire.

 

     “We’re under attack, sir!” Matt, Lay’s bodyguard, reported when he spotted them and ran to their side.

 

     “No shit,” Lay uttered and drew his gun, ready to protect Kai who didn’t waste any time and started looking for a place to take cover. 

 

     “Where’s Ryan??” Kai asked Matt who was too busy senselessly shooting as he tried to take down the men who were coming in their direction. 

 

     “He took Atlas to safety,” Matt replied when the air was clear for a moment. 

 

     Kai nodded in relief, knowing his cousin was safe made him somewhat calmer as he tried to come up with an escape route. 

 

     Lay who seemed as if he was reading his mind turned to him. “Run back to that staircase and get the hell out of here!” 

 

     “This is my club, Lay. I am not going anywhere,” Kai retorted sharply and managed to shoot down a man who emerged from the chaotic crowd, aiming at them. 

 

     “I am telling you to run!” Lay repeated with an alarmed expression. 

 

     “We’ve been through this once already!” Kai refused to back down. “Or are you going to tell me that I am going to get in the way again?!” 

 

     But Lay didn’t get the chance to continue their dispute as he was forced to quickly dodge a flying chair that someone threw at them. More men were coming their way and some of them got so close that they got caught up in a physical combat. Fists were landing onto people’s faces and bodies flew through the air as the three of them tried to defend themselves but the amount of attacks seemed endless. 

 

    Matt took the initiative and stood in the front while Lay handled the men who got through his bodyguard and Kai was at the back, trying to take down whoever came from behind. Their teamwork seemed efficient but soon Matt was forced to the ground and their little formation was breached. 

 

     Kai tried to rush to Lay’s side but in a moment of his inattention someone grabbed him from behind and dragged him to the balcony. 

 

     To Kai’s horror two men were waiting for him there to attack him together with the one who was holding his arms painfully twisted behind his back. 

 

    “You fuckers just don’t know how to play fair, huh?” Kai fumed as he ducked down to avoid a fist swung at him, causing the man to punch the behind him and thus he was released from his confinement. He made some distance between him and the three man to get a good look at the situation. 

 

     “We need this one alive!” One of them barked. 

 

     “What a fucking honor,” Kai hissed through gritted teeth and skillfully kicked another of them down and finished him off with a hard hit of the handle of his gun on his head. He ran out of ammunition but the attackers seemed to be in the same situation as they swung their fists at him with their guns laying on the ground.

 

     “That doesn’t mean you can go easy on him, you idiots!” The one shouting orders cursed as another of his men was sent to kiss the floor by Kai’s swift moves. 

 

     “I thought you said he’s just an unskilled kid!” 

 

     “I beg your pardon!” Kai sneered, offended by the words and quickly charged at the man. He jumped in the air, adding force to his punch that immediately knocked the man out. “I am a Villarreal you fucking bastard,” he growled at the unconscious man and raised his eyes to the man in command, piercing him with a murderous glare. 

 

     “Villarreal or not, you’re going down, you little shit!” The man snapped as he drew a knife from somewhere behind  his back. 

 

     “Try me, asshole,” Kai scoffed bitterly and took a defensive stance against his opponent. He skilfully avoided the sharp blade that swung through the air around him as he jumped around, trying to get closer to him. 

 

     To his demise the man was too skilled to let him slip by and so he was forced to take drastic measures. In the next moment he quickly charged at him, ignoring the incoming attack and as he was close enough he grabbed the man’s head and gave him a headbutt, using as much force as he could muster. Taking advantage of the man’s momentarily weakness, Kai kicked his knee against the man’s stomach and watched him crumble to the ground with a pained groan.

 

     “Who’s going down now, dimwit?!” Kai roared and landed his final swift kick right into the side of his face, knocking him out. 

 

     With all three of them down, Kai took a moment to catch his breath as he felt the adrenaline rushing through his veins that was luckily numbing the headache probably caused by his improvised stunt with the headbutt. It took him a while to realize that he could no longer hear the gunfire from the club and so he quickly ran back inside to check on the situation.

 

     Bodies laid scattered around, whether dead or unconscious and to his bewilderment the club was completely trashed. Even the music stopped playing and only the echoing groans of pain and muttering of people who were still standing were filling the space. 

 

     “Kai?!” 

 

     Kai turned around with a hopeful expression to see Lay who rushed towards him. His face was beaten up and his hair that was carefully styled before was now all messed up, sticking in all sorts of directions. The clothes he was wearing didn’t look any better but apart from his rough appearance, he seemed to be fine. 

 

     “Are you okay??” Lay asked in concern but Kai didn’t give him the opportunity to speak when he grabbed him by his shoulders. 

 

     “Where’s everyone? Are they safe??”

 

    “Yes, Ryan took Atlas to safety and came back. He’s downstairs talking to the manager. The rest of our men took care of the guests and there seemed to be only a couple of casualties,” Lay summed up the situation as he ran his hands through his hair and ruffled it in frustration. “This is fucked up.”

 

     “No shit,” Kai scoffed as he slowly started to calm down. “Tell me about a party killer. This is literally the opening night.” 

 

     “Let’s go downstairs to meet the others. Grey is on the way here,” Lay stated as he led Kai to the staircase, trying to maneuver around the pieces of glass and other debris on the floor. 

 

    Kai followed him but as he stepped on the stairs he winced and hastily grabbed onto the railing to keep his balance, his head spinning. 

 

     It took a moment for Lay to notice that Kai was no longer behind him and he quickly spun around to witness Kai crumbling down to the floor. He almost wasn’t quick enough to stop him from falling down the stairs.

 

     “Kai!” Lay called out in surprise when he caught him in his arms and slowly sat him down on one of the stairs. His eyes widened in horror when he noticed his own white silk shirt was stained with crimson red. 

 

     But it wasn’t his blood.




0