4.2
38 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I placed ten coins on the catalog's "Asking Monster" page, and chanted the words I had practiced many times in anticipation:

"I am the one who seeks power. I am the one who pays the price. I am the ruler of the labyrinth."

As soon as the coin began to shine, the pages of the catalog lit up and the light in the dungeon core grew stronger. I felt a red glow settle in my chest.

"Thou maiden of the wind. Thou the free one. Thou the one who embraces all things."

The coin vanished, a sign that the summoning had been successful. All that was left was to call out the creature's name and reach for the book.

"Answer my call and appear, Sylph Elite!"

A powerful wind swept through the room, pushing me back a few steps. Gyanda and Wanda, the two monsters who had been watching me, were also affected by the gust.

The strong wind subsided quickly, but a gentle breeze continued to blow through the room. Before me stood a doll-sized girl, a winged maiden. According to the catalog:

"The Sylph Elite, a ten-coin wind spirit. There are usually difficulties in operating wind spirits within a dungeon due to their dislike of places with poor air circulation. While it is possible to force a contract with them, their existence will eventually become distorted because they will not accept result orders and may start acting violently. The Sylph Elite is different, however. As the wind of the surrounding area, her main body is outside the dungeon, and thus cannot be distorted or defeated (although the terminal used to operate her within the dungeon can be defeated). To use her sylph powers within the dungeon, simply call upon her."

Spending ten coins was a painful expense, but I was told that Sylph was necessary. And for good reason.

"Now you don't have to worry about ventilation in the dungeon," Ms. Järvenpaa had said.

Living in the dungeon meant I needed fire to cook food, but without the catalog, I would have had to make a primitive furnace and risked carbon monoxide poisoning. Moreover, attackers could be smothered in smoke.

I understood this well. Weak adventurers often resorted to smoking out caves to weaken their opponents. Strong adventurers rarely needed to, as they could manage on their own. Of course, there were exceptions.

"Is this everything?" I turned around and surveyed the crowded room filled with the monsters I had just contracted.

First of all, there were a large number of them.

"These are Kobolds. One coin is enough for five of them. They are monsters with dog-like features that stand upright and have modified front legs like humans to use tools. They live in caves and form tribal societies. While their physical abilities are almost on par with goblins, their timid temperament often leads them to submit to the evil of goblins, making them the weakest of the monsters. However, Kobolds are notable for their loyalty to their superiors and willingness to work for their colleagues. Additionally, they can perform simple tasks without issue if provided with tools. While they cannot speak, there are rare individuals who can learn the language of dragons. There's a reason why there's an old adage that dungeons start with Kobolds."

I had contracted them to take care of the natural cave part and various chores, with six coins for thirty of them. I initially thought it was too expensive, but I was advised that it was necessary for the cave work and the stability of my life.

In addition, another kobold, with a different appearance, is leading the way. He carries a staff in his hand and wears a simple robe. The only noticeable difference is that, like other kobolds, he has charms that resemble those of Shiba Inu and Akita Inu.

This kobold is a trained Kobold Shaman who possesses a talent for magic. Although he is not particularly skilled in combat, he excels in other techniques. As he is responsible for the wisdom of the tribe, he possesses higher intelligence than the average kobold. He has also learned the dragon language by default.

It appears that he can use the spells 'farsightedness' and 'healing'. The former spell allows him to see distant places while maintaining farsightedness, while the latter improves his self-healing ability when not in combat. These spells may not be easy to use, but they provide a reassuring means of recovery.

There's a huge jelly sticking to the wall, leaving no place to step.

The creature is called a Slime Cleaner, and it's a green slime that's large enough to fill a two-coin vat. Its temperament is docile, and it won't attack animals larger than itself unless it's very hungry. It prefers humid places and feeds on moss, insects, small animals, microorganisms, and animal waste, making it a perfect cleaner. Although it has low combat ability, its volume and physical strength can be used for stranded actions. Another attractive trait is that it's difficult to damage, unless magic or fire is used. This creature could be a great help in cleaning the large dungeon.

The slime is a giant, green jelly with no eyes or mouth. According to the catalog, it has low combat power, but I can't help but think that just falling from the ceiling would be a joke. Anyway, I'll take three of them.

There are a total of 23 monsters in my dungeon - six Kobolds for the Kobold Shaman, six pieces of Slime Cleaner, and ten Sylph Elite. I'm refraining from hiring any battle monsters, as it's a heavy burden without any living space.

The core room is filled with monsters - Kobolds, a Sylph drifting on the breeze, and a Slime bouncing on the wall. While they're not tough, they're charming and reliable in their own way.

I can't help but wonder if this is all right, but I feel overwhelmed with everything else. If there's a monster that I need to be careful with, I don't think I have it. So for now, this is fine.

"Lord. We are all here. Please, give us your words," says the Kobold Shaman.

Despite the unreasonable arrival of the Kobold Shaman, Ms. Järvenpaa is smiling and gesturing in the background. The Sylphs are happily flying around, and the Kobolds are waving their tails. I don't know much about Slimes.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm used to such ad-libs in games. I take a few seconds to gather my thoughts and stand on a stone chair.

"I'm Natsuo Miyama, the master of this dungeon," I introduce myself briefly.

"I'm weak, and I don't know much about this world or dungeons. If something strong attacks, I'll die instantly. The core will be destroyed, and you'll die too."

The ears of the Kobolds droop, and I can tell they understand the gravity of the situation.

"That's why we need your power. I know you're weak, but we have the power to remake the dungeon. If we make it a good dungeon, we can call in strong monsters. Even if a strong enemy comes, we'll be safe."

The ears of the Kobolds perk up, and they seem to understand my words.

"Lend me your strength! For everyone to survive!"

"Together with the dungeon! With the master!" the Kobolds chant in unison with the Shaman's shout. The Sylphs dance, and the Slime trembles.

Thus, my days as a Dungeon Master begin.

3