8.2
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Then, I will contact you in the near future."

"Yes, please do."

I bid farewell to Ms. Järvenpaa in the core room. Somehow, I felt quite excited. But let's put that aside for now. My first task was to create a swamp for Madman, and I knew the kobolds could help with that.

"Oh, hold on. I've got it right here."

On the pedestal, I retrieved a business card-sized metal card from a small box filled with coins. This was the magic item I received from Ms. Järvenpaa the other day. The card had an engraved pattern resembling a magic circle, much like a spellbook. It was called a phone call pattern, and when magical energy was passed through it, it would connect to a pre-set location.

To be honest, I had no idea how to use magic power, but simply touching the card with my finger seemed to make the call. Perhaps it was another ability of the dungeon core.

"Yes, this is Kettle Shokai... Hi, Miyama-sama. What can I assist you with today?"

A voice came through the call. This card allowed me to contact the Kettle Company, the supplier of various goods. The person who answered was Leonard, a slightly thin middle-aged man who appeared to be in his forties. The most notable feature of Mr. Leonard was his fox-like ears. He was a beastman, a type of creature with animal ears located on the same part as humans, rather than on top of his head. I emphasized this detail because it was important.

He also had a tail, which I wasn't particularly fond of in an old man. But it was relevant because I could expect female beastmen to have similar traits. No, no, I needed to focus. Vehicles, supplies.

"Thank you for your assistance. I do have something I need today."

"Yes, thank you very much. What do you require? We have movement-type and trap-type items available. Would you like to see them?"

"Well, I suppose I can't afford the movement-type item just yet."

I wasn't sure about the connections Mr. Leonard had. Ideally, I wouldn't resort to acquiring items solely because they were cheap. It wouldn't be fair to the producers. However, the construction company had become my enemy in my mind. I didn't want to give them a single coin or piece of gold.

With that in mind, I relied on the services of Kettle Company. In my current financial situation, affordability was crucial.

"That's unfortunate. If you need anything, please let me know."

"When the time comes, I would appreciate your assistance. This time, I'm planning to order a set of daily necessities since there will be more people. I've already bought a set for the nearby area."

"Oh, I see. Not for monsters, but for humans. So... a guardian?"

"Yes, that's correct. However, I haven't conducted any interviews yet."

Mr. Leonard smiled. He must have been quite charming when he was younger, although he still had a pleasant demeanor now.

"Congratulations on that. I must say, I didn't expect you to bring up the topic of a guardian so early. Miyama-sama, did you marry an employee from the center?"

"What? My wife?"

What was this old man talking about? Well, if something like that were to happen with Ms. Järvenpaa, it wouldn't be the best story—it would be a miracle. And it would truly be a miracle because such things rarely happen. Usually, they end up as mere sleep-talk.

I felt a pang of sadness, so I decided to face reality.

"Why would you come up with such a ridiculous story about a guardian?"

"Because, of course... Oh, right. Miyama-sama, you naturally wouldn't know. I apologize."

Mr. Leonard lightly tapped his forehead, tightening his expression.

"Are you sure? Guardians of each territory can only be registered after undergoing a rigorous selection process. When introducing such a special and strong individual, the most important factor is having a trustworthy dungeon master."

Hmmm, was there a reason for that? I couldn't send someone in such a respected position to a master who treated them like monsters.

"Miyama-sama, it hasn't been long since you started as a dungeon master, correct? But considering what you've mentioned, I wondered if it was due to the benefits of working at the center that you married your daughter and ended up in a difficult situation."

"Ah... I see. No, it's simply the result of the center's staff directly assessing the dungeon. It's not that kind of silly story."

"Oh, I see. Well, congratulations. Whether it's your combat potential or the splendor of your dungeon, you won't pass if you don't meet the requirements... But in the first place, what motivated you to become a dungeon master?"

"Chance?"

"Yes. Even if the dungeon master is aware of the Guardian's story, if the center doesn't show interest, it won't progress. I'm curious if there was something that motivated you to pursue it."

When you mention that, what comes to mind is... back then, before I was informed about the Guardian.

"Um, is it because of the conflict with Rokudenashi Engineering Company?"

I held myself back from using harsh language, thinking it would be foolish to be called out in front of others.

"Huh? That company and your mother? Can you elaborate?"

I honestly explained to Mr. Leonard, who raised an eyebrow, about what happened the other day. I also had a recent exchange with Ms. Järvenpaa due to her persistent inquiries. Then, Mr. Leonard snapped his fingers.

"That's it, the declaration of non-use of humans as food."

"... Just that?"

"It's significant, isn't it? It's about efficiency and the act of killing one's own kind under the excuse of poverty. It's an excellent reason to consider introducing a Guardian."

With just that declaration, would they bring up the topic of the Guardian, which is known to be difficult to review? Isn't that a bit harsh? Somehow, I can't help but feel that the construction company's influence is also involved. The dynamics between the two organizations are too distinct.

"... Mr. Leonard, why is a construction company like that?"

"Ah... Well, it's natural to have doubts."

After pondering for a while, Mr. Leonard asked me not to mention what he said. The Dungeon Master, the Monster Delivery Center, the Dangerous & Deluxe Construction company, and our country, the Arcus Empire.

1