Prologue
59 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     I awoke in a void as black as a night sky devoid of stars. I looked upon where my hands should be and found nothing besides an amorphous blend of light and gas that shined in a color that I intuitively understood that I could not understand. I looked to my left and right, or at least what I defined to be my left and right under the circumstances and saw two others in the same predicament as me, barring the fact that they shined in dissimilar colors compared to both myself and their respective opposites, but all the same, I could not understand the colors.

     A moment passed, and then another. I found myself listless, or to put in another manner, bored. Then, she appeared with no announcement, the void simply stopped being a void and was replaced with a woman sewn out of it. One would expect that it would be difficult the discern her from her surroundings, or even the particular aspects of her being, but for some reason, it was simply so. As if existence itself asserted that was how she looked and demanded the mere mortal chattel understand. She beckoned and using a means of propulsion I did not even know I had, I approached, as did my compatriots. She opened her lips glossy from an application of midnight itself and thus she spoke.

"Hey, welcome, relax. Mi casa es tu casa and all that. Like, anyways, to rip the bandage off... ya'll dead. Yeah, I know, bummer, but look it's not the end. Usually it is, but your's truly has chosen ya' to help me with a little matter. Let me explain, ya see I am playing a little game, you see I am a wee god of the night, ruler of some night skies and not others, but you see I made a bet with the Sham man. He's like a mega-big deal, he's in charge of light for a lot of worlds. You see, I peeped out that he was making a new world, and I made a bet with him about who could put more good vibes out into it, ya' know, make a positive change in the world and all that. The problem is... I am like way too weak to do much anything on the world, but when the big guy does somethin' or another I can jack the stream and put a little something or 'nother into the world. And in this case, you it. The big guy summoned a dudette with like, insane powers. So I nabbed you guys before ya'll get completely wiped by the great soul circle, amnesia, nausea, and vertigo may occur but they should like, abate in time. If not see a doc. But, like back on track, I nabbed ya'll to put you into the world with bits of power youselfs, not as much as the big guy's guy, but hopefully you'll do the do and count to my win count. I got ya'll cause I thought you would be good for this, the right stuff for the task and all that ya' know? Right, so Q&A's, got any?"

     I was flabbergasted, it would be an understatement to called this unexpected. I expected pose and elegance... why? Why did I expect that? Now that I think about it I've felt as if I should hold myself to a certain standard, but why? I'm dead, I'm nothing, and so I can be anything. Somehow I felt a tension leaving my nonexistent shoulders. I brought my mind back to the matter at hand, of course I had questions, but I had no mouth... Then she pipped up "Hmm, no questions? 'Kay, let's get to character creation, don't fret you can spend as long as you like fiddlin' with it, times an illusion, the Illuminati is real, buy bitcoin." And thus she disappeared with as little announcement as she appeared, the void simply reasserted itself, but I had other matters to attend to. Namely, the strange window that appeared in front of me, or at least what I defined as my front.

Character Creation Menu
Basic Information >| Physical Appearance >>
Name: (First Name) (Last Name)
Level: 0
Experience: 0/0
Age: 0
Race: >>
Sex: >> (Yes)
Attributes: >>
Blessings: >>

     I attempted to touch the [Race] menu to start with, it seemed as good a place as any, and then I remembered that I did not in-fact have hands. It did however not seem to matter as the window changed all the same. There were countless races such as demons, elves, humans, angels, daemons, Acalica, and countless others. Some seemed to be simply placeholders with single-character names. It was at this point that I realized I had a problem, I hadn't the slightest clue about what races I would encounter. Any race I selected could have any number of poor interactions with the others, for all I knew if I started as a demon, I would encounter angels or vice versa. Plus, I didn't know what effects a race may have, for example becoming a demon may mean I could not cross running water or what-not. I wished I had some kind of appraisal skill or something of the like, but sadly I did not. I considered the problem for a while and made a bet. I hoped this worked out in my favor. I selected [Changeling] and was sent back to the main menu. Oddly, [Sex] changed from >> to --. I entered the Attributes submenu.

Attributes   Points Remaining: 100
Strength: 0 Processing Power: 0
Dexterity: 0 Recollection: 0
Agility: 0 Critical Thinking: 0
Reflexes: 0 Sense of Self: 0
Endurance: 0 Sense of Others: 0
Vitality: 0 Mana Aptitude: 0
    Mana Control: 0

     I once again wished I had some kind of appraisal ability, what is the difference between Agility and Dexterity? What does 'Sense of Others' even mean? At least I can glean that there is probably some kind of magic based on the two Attributes with mana in the name, I hope. I tested putting a point into Vitality and discovered that I could retrieve the point. It turned out that the first and second points in the stats cost one and two points respectively, and from that point, it costs as much as the previous two. So, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89. I was unsure about the effects of any attribute, leaving any at zero could leave me inconvenienced in any number of ways. Dead, brain dead, or paralyzed. I decided to distribute them in an even manner, and put the leftovers in the mana attributes, along with the 'Sense of Self' attribute. Some deeply instinctual part of my being told me to invest in that one.

Attributes   Points Remaining: 0
Strength: 4 Processing Power: 4
Dexterity: 4 Recollection: 4
Agility: 4 Critical Thinking: 4
Reflexes: 4 Sense of Self: 5
Endurance: 4 Sense of Others: 4
Vitality: 4 Mana Aptitude: 8
    Mana Control: 5

     It took me a second to figure out that I had to will the window to close. Next up, [Blessings].

Blessings  
Remaining Power: 100%
Blessing 1: (User Defined)
Blessing 2: (User Defined)
Blessing 3: (User Defined)

     I suppose this is what the strange god meant by "Bits of power." I barely stopped. I barely thought. For some reason, I felt as if I had answered this question before. As if I were taking a test with the answer sheet in front of me. I simply copied in the answers.

Blessings  
Remaining Power: 0%
Blessing 1: Exchange
 

Everything in existence has value, from the simple rock to the heart of a dragon. Even in the intangible, skills, knowledge, emotions, everything. You can exchange these things with a value that you own or have the permission of the owner for other things with equal value, minus taxes inversely proportional to your level of skill with this ability.

[True Exchange Skill Unlocked]

Blessing 2: Automate
 

You need no waste your thoughts on menial tasks. Actions and abilities may be activated automatically when certain conditions are met.

[Automation System Unlocked]

Blessing 3: Companionship
 

You will never be alone. Until the end, you will have allies that will stand by you.

[Ethereal Companion System Unlocked]

[Boost to Fateful Encounter Chance: Minimal]

     I wondered where that feeling came from, but ultimately I decided to trust it. These blessings are passable. At this point, all that was left was the [Physical Appearance] tab and the name of course. When I willed myself to enter the [Physical Appearance] tab I was met with a humanoid-shaped piece of clay. I poked at it mentally and it deformed, I willed color upon it and it's hue changed to my taste. I spent an indeterminate amount of illusionary time shaping the body. I made the body childlike, unthreatening, unnoteworthy. Somewhat cute, but not very. Shoulder length black hair, black eyes, dark skin, no distinct features. There was one facet of the body that I took some pride in though. I realized that I could shape the nails and hair as I pleased, so I interweaved them to form something akin to organic clothing. Ironical it was fairly simple to mix the attributes of each, apparently, they are made of the same substance. Keratin. I used the nature of nails to give structure and form to the clothing, and the nature of hair to make it soft and flexible. I made a simple pair of long pants and a simple if somewhat elegant blouse. I included a weak point in the pants to make it a relatively simple task to turn them into shorts if need be. I made a few minor adjustments and exited the tab, all that was left was the name. I thought about it for a long time, I did not know what language this new world would speak and for all I knew whatever I chose may be unpronounceable. Maybe that would be a good thing, maybe one day a wizard would be attempting to say my name as to curse me, and would be befuddled with the letter 'r', or maybe I would just be odd. I thought about it for a long time and decided on...


 

4