Ch149- Mirage
39 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They continued forward, the gravitational pull growing stronger with each step. Jack’s body was well-conditioned, and he moved with a determined grace, his muscles straining against the invisible force. He could feel the pressure building, his body becoming heavier, but he pushed through, his focus unwavering.

Lysander, on the other hand, seemed almost unaffected, his movements fluid and unbothered. He had spent years mastering the manipulation of gravity, and even though he couldn’t use his powers now, his body had adapted to functioning under extreme conditions.

“Not bad for a man-made gravity field,” Lysander commented, his voice laced with a hint of respect. “But it lacks the finesse of a Devil Fruit.”

Jack raised an eyebrow, intrigued. “Finesse?”

“Yeah,” Lysander explained, his voice taking on a lecturing tone. “With a Devil Fruit, you can manipulate gravity in ways that go beyond just making things heavy. You can make yourself lighter, control the direction of the pull... it’s like painting with a full palette instead of just using broad strokes.”

Jack listened intently, his curiosity piqued. He had seen Lysander’s powers in action before, but hearing him talk about it brought a new level of understanding.

As they progressed, the gravitational pull grew stronger, and Jack could feel the strain on his body increasing. He gritted his teeth, his muscles screaming in protest, but he pushed forward, driven by the knowledge that they needed to get through this, no matter what.

Lysander, sensing Jack’s determination, matched his pace, his body moving smoothly despite the crushing force surrounding them. “You’re doing good, Jack. Just a little bit further.”

Jack nodded, his focus narrowing as he felt the source of the gravitational field drawing nearer. He could almost see it in his mind’s eye, a point of intense pressure that they needed to reach and disable.

The pressure continued to build, and Jack felt his body becoming heavier, his movements slower. He could see the strain in Lysander’s face now, the gravitational field finally starting to take its toll on him as well.

“Almost there,” Lysander grunted out, his voice strained.

Jack, his body on the verge of giving out, found a reserve of strength he didn’t know he had. He pushed forward, his movements fueled by sheer willpower.

And then, suddenly, the pressure lifted.

They stumbled forward, their bodies light and unburdened. The sudden release from the gravitational field was disorienting, and it took them a moment to regain their balance.

Jack straightened up, his breathing heavy, his body drenched in sweat. “That was... intense,” he commented, his voice steady despite the ordeal.

Lysander, who was also catching his breath, nodded in agreement. “Yeah. Vegapunk’s got some tricks up his sleeve.”

They took a moment to recover, their bodies slowly adjusting back to normal. The pain from the temporal distortion field had been replaced by the ache of overworked muscles, but they were still standing, still ready to move forward.

“Ready to keep going?” Jack asked, his gaze sharp, his body poised for action.

Lysander pushed himself off the wall, his body responding obediently. “Yeah. Let’s see what else Vegapunk has in store for us.”

As they entered the next area, Lysander’s brows furrowed in concentration, and he wore a look of unease. “This is troublesome,” he muttered, his gaze scanning the environment cautiously.

Jack raised an eyebrow, intrigued and alert. “What’s up?” he asked, his senses heightened, ready for any potential threat.

Lysander sighed, his eyes still moving around as if trying to decipher a puzzle. “We’re in the midst of a tricky setup here,” he explained, his voice steady. “This zone… it’s a blend of Mirage Mirrors, Sonic Disruptors, and the Chimera Guardians. It’s all mixed together to fool and incapacitate intruders.”

Jack took a moment to process the information, his mind racing. “So, what are we looking at?” he asked, his tone calm but laced with curiosity.

“The Mirage Mirrors create illusions, doppelgangers of sorts. They can be anything – an empty space, a creature, or even one of us,” Lysander explained, his eyes still scanning the surroundings. “The Sonic Disruptors, on the other hand, will mess with our hearing and balance, trying to disorient us.”

“And the Chimeras?” Jack probed further, wanting to understand the full scope of the situation.

Lysander’s gaze finally settled, his body tense. “The Chimera Guardians are creatures, genetically engineered with abilities sourced from various beasts. They are adaptive and trained to neutralize intruders non-lethally,” he elaborated, his voice taking on a serious tone.

Jack nodded, processing the information. “So, we’ve got visual and auditory illusions, and real threats that can adapt to how we fight,” he summarized, his mind formulating a plan.

“Exactly,” Lysander confirmed, his eyes meeting Jack’s. “And the real kicker? In this mixed-up mess, a Chimera you see and attack might turn out to be an illusion, and an open space you see might actually be a Chimera ready to strike.”

Jack let out a low whistle, impressed despite the situation. “Vegapunk really went all out on this one,” he commented, his voice laced with a hint of admiration.

“He did. We need to tread carefully,” Lysander advised, his demeanor cautious yet determined.

Jack’s eyes narrowed, focusing on the task at hand. “Let’s do this. We’ll take it slow, rely on our senses, and not make any hasty moves,” he decided, his voice resolute.

Lysander nodded in agreement, his body ready for action. “Lead the way.”

They began to move, their steps measured and cautious. The air was tense, charged with an unseen energy. Jack’s senses were on high alert, trying to differentiate illusion from reality, his observation haki working overtime.

Suddenly, a figure appeared in their path, an exact copy of Lysander, mirroring his every move. Jack’s instincts screamed at him, but he held back, his gaze shifting to the real Lysander for confirmation.

“Mirage,” Lysander stated, his voice calm yet firm. “Keep moving.”

Meteoric Oblivion

Spoiler

[collapse]

----

Read 45(15 chapters for each novel) advanced chapters in my Patreon!

patreon.com/IWriteFanfic

5