Ch153- Coming Back From Death?
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I never thought you’d sink this low, Caesar," Vegapunk said, his voice calm but filled with disappointment. "Using children for your experiments, really?"

Caesar, now cornered and sensing his plans falling apart, laughed bitterly, "What does it matter to you? You've always had everything - the brains, the respect. What's left for the rest of us?"

Vegapunk shook his head, "It’s not about what I have. It’s about doing what’s right. And what you’re doing is far from it."

Jack took a determined step forward, his voice cutting through the charged atmosphere. "I've heard enough of this." In an instant, he engaged his Comet Dash, propelling himself forward with a burst of speed and heat, appearing right next to Caesar. He threw a punch with all his might, aiming to take down his adversary there and then.

Caesar, however, wasn't an easy target. Having consumed the Gas Gas Fruit, he quickly transformed into a gaseous form, attempting to evade Jack's powerful strike through his Logia Defense. But Jack was ready for this. He swiftly reached into the depths of his inner space, the Bead's Space, retrieving a Sea Stone. In a fluid motion, he wrapped it tightly around Caesar’s wrist, effectively neutralizing his powers.

"The only reason I'm not ending you right here and now is because I need to make sure those children are safe," Jack declared, his voice low and dangerous, his eyes a deep, angry blue that left no room for misinterpretation. "You better pray they're all okay, without a scratch on them."

Caesar, his bravado now drained away, could only nod fervently, too frightened to even articulate a response.

"Lead the way," Jack commanded, his tone leaving no room for defiance.

Caesar, now completely subdued, complied. He led Jack and Lysander through a labyrinthine network of underground tunnels, each path seemingly indistinguishable from the next. The air was thick with tension, the walls closing in as they delved deeper into the hidden recesses of the island.

As they navigated the maze, Jack’s senses were on high alert. His eyes scanned the surroundings, taking in every detail, every possible hint of a trap. Lysander walked beside him, his eyes also sharp, though his mind was clearly elsewhere, weighed down by the gravity of the situation.

The tunnels seemed endless, a dark and twisting journey through the heart of the island. They walked in silence, the only sounds their footsteps and the occasional drip of water from the ceiling. It was a tense and uneasy quiet, filled with the anticipation of what lay ahead.

Both Lysander and Vegapunk were utterly taken aback, unable to comprehend the sheer magnitude of the underground network that sprawled beneath the island. They had lived and worked here for years, oblivious to the sinister activities unfolding right under their noses. The enormity of their oversight weighed heavily on their conscience, making them question their competence and vigilance.

"I can't believe we didn’t know about this," Lysander muttered under his breath, his voice laced with disbelief and frustration. The tunnels stretched in every direction, each one appearing to lead to a different part of the island. The intricacy of the network was astounding, and it was clear that Caesar had been running his nefarious operations with a level of sophistication they hadn’t anticipated.

The eerie glow from the bioluminescent fungi that dotted the tunnel walls dimly lit their path. Stalactites hung from the roof, and the sound of water dripping echoed, making the air thick and damp. They had descended so deep into the island’s bowels that the world outside felt like a distant memory.

Forcing his thoughts away from guilt, Vegapunk remarked, "I had no idea Caesar had constructed such an elaborate system."

Lysander nodded, his voice tinged with regret. "Neither did I. It seems we've underestimated him."

As they continued to navigate the winding paths, Jack's acute senses picked up on the faintest of sounds, a distant whimper. His eyes, the tranquil blue of a calm sea, sharpened instantly. "This way," he signaled, leading them down one of the branching tunnels.

They made their way deeper and deeper into the maze, the distant cries growing louder and more discernible. Finally, they came upon a large chamber, the epicenter of Caesar's operations. Multiple tunnels converged at this point, each leading to a different part of the island.

Lysander's gaze scanned the chamber, landing on cages with terrified children, their eyes wide with fear. He felt a sharp pang of sorrow and guilt. "This is worse than I could have imagined," he whispered, his voice breaking slightly.

Jack stepped forward, his heart hardening at the sight. There was no hint of emotion on his face, but the tempestuous blue depths of his eyes told a different story. They were the eyes of a storm, teeming with restrained fury.

"Release them," he commanded Caesar, his voice cold and unyielding.

Caesar hesitated for a split second before nodding, realizing he was in no position to argue. He hurriedly unlocked the cages, freeing the captive children.

The chamber echoed with the sounds of relief, as children floated towards Jack, hugging him tightly. The relief was palpable, but the air was still tense, knowing that Caesar was still at large and the depths of his treachery still unknown.

Turning to Lysander, Jack spoke, "We need to make sure there are no other hidden chambers or traps. We can't leave anything to chance."

Lysander nodded, "Agreed. We'll sweep every inch of this place."

As the two of them began to coordinate the search and ensure the safety of the children, Caesar's face twisted with a mix of fury and despair. He had been bested, and the weight of his failures was pressing down on him. However, even in defeat, his twisted pride wouldn't let him stay silent.

"Do you think this is over?" Caesar sneered, looking at Jack. "You might have stopped me today, but you can't change the course of progress. My research, my work, it's the future."

Jack regarded Caesar with frigid eyes, his voice bone-chilling as he uttered, "People think they have a chance to come back, but I have yet to see anyone coming back from death."

----

Read 45(15 chapters for each novel) advanced chapters in my Patreon!

patreon.com/IWriteFanfic

2