Ch156- Three Souls
115 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kai waved his hand with casual ease, and the realm shifted. Quincy and Shinigami alike found their reality warping around them. In a flutter of displaced air, they were relocated, paired off in distant corners of Seireitei — some alone, others in groups against a single opponent, according to the threat they posed. They stood bewildered, momentarily grasping their new surroundings. It was an abrupt, disconcerting dance orchestrated by Kai's invisible strings.

Kai's whims had scattered them like chess pieces across the board, each facing their ordained match-up. Captains and Lieutenants now stood amidst the spectral beauty of Seireitei’s lesser-known locales, their gazes locked with their Quincy counterparts, the tension between them a prelude to the clashes to come.

Only Kai, Ichigo, and Urahara remained, a trio pitted against the towering presences of Yhwach and Haschwalth. Kai leaned back slightly, his hands lazily tucked into his pockets, the epitome of nonchalance. Yet, beneath this façade, an electric current of readiness hummed through his veins.

"Why can't I see you in any future, Kai?" Yhwach's voice broke the charged silence, his divine sight confounded by the enigmatic man before him.

Kai flashed a lazy grin, his eyes glinting with mirth. "Maybe you're not looking hard enough," he teased.

A smirk appeared on his lips as he considered pulling Haschwalth aside with the others, yet the space remained unyielding, anchored by the strong connection between Yhwach and his other half. The bond between them was steadfast, an immovable force against Kai’s abilities.

Yhwach stood, his expression deep in thought. The fact that he couldn't see Kai in any of the potential futures troubled him greatly. Kai wasn’t just a simple illusionist; his hidden future created a blind spot in Yhwach’s otherwise all-seeing vision, causing him a great deal of frustration.

The tension in the air was a clear sign of Yhwach’s annoyance. Kai was a puzzle he couldn’t solve, a gap in his foresight that remained out of reach. Yhwach’s carefully crafted plan seemed uncertain, like a net unsure of catching the elusive Kai. This uncertainty shook Yhwach’s confidence – if his trap didn’t work, then what was the point of the strategy behind it?

Kai's decision to keep Ichigo and Urahara by his side rather than dispersing them like the other captains was deliberate. It wasn't out of affection or a need for company in what might be his last moments; it was strategy, cold and calculating. He needed them, for he was under no illusions about his own capabilities. Powerful as he was, he wasn't ready to defeat Yhwach on his own. The gap between his current strength and the divine was a yawning chasm he had yet to bridge. To an observer, it might have appeared that he was almost there, on the cusp of godhood, but appearances were as deceiving as Kai's nonchalant demeanor. The truth was stark—he wasn't there yet.

In his heart resided the Soul Cube, an enigma even to him. Within its depths thrummed the essence of countless souls, each a whisper of power, a secret unveiled, a lesson learned. His journey had begun in obscurity, in a void where he stumbled upon his first Shinigami soul that sparked his own latent powers. That discovery was like a key turning in a lock he hadn't known existed, opening doors to worlds upon worlds, realities splintering and converging in the shadows of existence.

Kai's understanding of the Soul Cube had deepened over time. He could navigate its darkness, discerning the souls within as if they were luminescent threads in a tapestry of shadows. These weren't nameless spirits; they were echoes of faces he knew, counterparts from dimensions tangled with his own. His mastery over the Cube allowed him to differentiate between them with ease, and now only three remained unclaimed within its confines.

One held the raw, untamed power of Ichigo—a soul that burned bright with potential and strength. Another pulsed with the dark might of Yhwach, a soul woven from the fabric of fate itself. The third was a mystery, one that Kai could only surmise belonged to the enigmatic Soul King.

Kai hadn't absorbed these three souls yet because he simply couldn't. Every time he drew near to them, it was as though his own soul quivered on the edge of dissolution, threatening to unravel under the immense pressure. Despite the formidable power at his command, these souls represented a boundary he had yet to cross. The smallest soul, surprisingly, belonged to the Soul King — diminished, perhaps, due to his body being used as the linchpin of the universe, or weakened by other, unknown means.

In that critical moment, with the confrontations unfolding around him, Kai turned away from the more obvious choices of Yhwach and Ichigo. Instead, he directed his focus inward, toward the faint glimmer of the Soul King's soul within his mindscape. On the outside, he seemed to issue a casual command to Ichigo and Urahara, "Delay them for a while, I need some time." Ichigo's frown betrayed his confusion at Kai's request, but Urahara's nod suggested an understanding that recklessness on Kai's part always had a purpose.

Kai's hand moved in a rhythmic dance, weaving an opaque shield that took shape in the air, a barrier that mingled with Yhwach's trap, turning the enemy's ploy into an unintended layer of protection. With this move, Kai not only fortified himself against outside interference but also took the first step toward a gambit only he could envision.

Entering his mindscape was like stepping into a vast, shadow-filled cathedral, the silence profound except for the whispers of countless souls that fluttered like the wings of distant birds. The Soul King's soul was a mere wisp of light, dim and unassuming amidst the others, yet its significance was monumental. Kai approached it, the tension from the outside battles fading as if he had slipped into a different world altogether.

----

Read 45(15 chapters for each novel) advanced chapters in my Patreon!

patreon.com/IWriteFanfic

3