Chapter 3
9 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elyon put his head down on the table wearily, he let out a few wretched groans. The cold table surface reminded him of the warm feeling of being hugged by a soft cotton blanket. He wish he hadn't left his bed.

“It's so unfair, I still want to sleep…”

“Come on, it's the first day of winter, don't you want to enjoy some lucky snow?” Ayen patted Elyon's shoulder. She spun around, spreading out her fur cloak. Some leaves fell, they must have been there since the last time.

The cloak fits very well as if it had been carefully tailored. Soft folds spread down from the slim body, helping it stay hovering above the floor without ever sweeping the ground. It is also not too thick, just enough to keep her warm and still help her move flexibly.

“Since you've come all the way down here anyway, come out with me for a bit. Or… do you want to wait for the silly brothers?” Ayen raised her voice meaningfully, and that soon worked.

“Okay, okay…” Elyon replied. His attitude wasn't much better, but he managed to sit up properly. His eyes glazed over, and he stretched out his arms at Ayen's triumphant expression. Elyon looked through the window, the faint rays of sunlight just glimmering on the horizon, at least outside was more peaceful than the night before.

Ayen handed Elyon the cloak, which was almost identical to hers except that it looked fairly new. With a tired look, he put it on. A breeze blew under the crack of the door, inviting them both out.

As soon as the door behind him closed, his steps were held down by the thick snow below, if not for his boots, his feet would have frozen. On the other hand, Ayen happily ran and jumped without any hindrance. She spread her arms wide, facing the sky, feeling the rays of sunlight patting her cheeks.

“The atmosphere is great, isn't it?”

“Of course it is…” Elyon replied reluctantly, still fidgeting with his

foggy glasses. He used the hem of his shirt to wipe it, remembering why he hated the weather so much.

“If someone asked me what the moment I would want to last forever, it would definitely be now. It's so peaceful to be in the snow.” Said Ayen.

“What?” Elyon turned, and he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. The surroundings were now clearly visible. The golden light of the sun shines down, casting shadows from the branches on the white snow, creating a unique picture.

Suddenly he yelled. “Oh Ytris[1]! Why are you lying on the ground? Aren't you afraid of a cold? Clothes too, they'll get wet!”

“We are Gastarian after all, we don’t get sick that easily!” Ayen smiled and waved her hand to show that she wouldn't have any problems. Ayen jumped up, she brushed her hands on her skirt, and the snow on her back clattered.

Elyon didn't believe her very much, so he only put a hand under the gently falling snow. He noticed that snowflakes attracted his eyes in a very magical way. This is a relief. Maybe Ayen is right to some extent.

They both walked to a cliff and watched down at the snow-covered Delisbourg Plain. They looked along the winding path to the town, where the houses emitted several lights. They usually know the sun will come out soon. The smoke comes from the houses in the snowy sky making the sky more mystifying.

Elyon had hoped to see a phenomenon called 'aurora', but the only thing waiting for him was the gradual dimming of the stars, giving up their work to the sun. Maybe next time I will watch the time more carefully, Elyon told himself.

“The sun is coming out. I think I will make a wish before the end of this moment.” Ayen closed her eyes, folded her hands, and put them on her forehead. The excitement quickly spread to her entire body. She trembled as though her heart were beating fast enough to jump out of her chest.

“You are so childish. Any snow is snow. It won't work either at the end of the season or at the beginning of the season.” Elyon looked at Ayen with a pout and sighed.

“It's too late, I made a wish!” She smiled with satisfaction.

“What did you wish for?” Despite selling doubt, Elyon could not hide his curiosity.

“Well…” Ayen put her hand on her chin, pretending to think. “Can't say. A secret makes a woman a woman.”

“You aren't a woman yet…” Elyon glanced around but then turned back to Ayen, huffing.

“So are you going to tell me or not…?”

Ayen smiled softly and replied. “I simply want us to be at peace. Isn't that the best thing?” She happily looked up at the sky which was slowly getting brighter. “There may be times when things won't go as we expected, but I will always try to protect everyone!”

“Okay…?”

Seeing the confused look on Elyon's face, Ayen quickly changed the subject. “Well, everyone should be awake by now, let's go home.”

He nodded in agreement, said nothing more, and quietly followed her.

Ayen struggled a little to get back up the hill, just in time to view the Sun. As for Elyon… he didn’t fare as well. He slipped and fell multiple times.

Under the cream sunlight, the house appeared very cozy and familiar. As soon as he reached the porch, Elyon was already plopping up the stairs, panting. He didn't seem to care if he got his clothes wet or not, because they were dirty anyway.

“God, you are so bad! We've only been gone for a bit!” Ayen giggled, reaching out her hand to Elyon, offering to help.

“Going down… easy… climbing… so tiring!”

Elyon caught his breath, trying to finish the sentence before taking Ayen's hand and standing up. Her warm hand dispelled the cold in his own. Both of them went inside. “Slam”, the door closes, followed by a few icy flakes of ice sliding down from the roof.

 

 

Inside is the welcoming sweet scent of a stew. Ayen and Elyon both knew the smell very well. There was only one person capable of making it, none other than Raymond. There is no better treat than a bowl of hot stew, especially for those who have just returned from the cold weather.

“Hi kids, how's the morning?” Butcher called out, a wooden cup in his hand. From the scent and color of the liquid inside, Ayen dimly guessed it was mulled wine, a special kind from the land of the Dwarves in the far North. Next to it was the familiar Vriaquila plate that she picked herself.

“Fantastic, as always, Dad.” Ayen bowed her head before cheerfully replying.

“Uh-huh, that’s right. Faaantaaastic!” Elyon mocked her sarcastically as she struggled to take off her cloak. He tossed it on the rack while letting out a yawn.

Butcher just smiled faintly and raised his cup to take a sip. He was used to Elyon's slightly irritating personality towards the other children, but overall they got along.

That's everything he ever needs.

Ayen looked at the steaming casserole that was enticing her. The iridescent broth and eye-catching colors from the vegetables made her almost unable to contain herself. She tried to swallow her saliva.

“Where's Raymond by the way?”

“He's in Robyn's room. And Robyn went to Raymond's room.” Already guessed the confused look on Ayen and Elyon's faces, Butcher added. “The thing is, Robyn isn't so sure about the new kid, what's his name?”

“Ladius.” Ayen reminded.

“Ah Ladius, that's right.” He took another sip of wine. “So he stayed up all night to watch over Ladius, in case he messed up. Now it's Robyn's turn to go to bed, and Raymond takes over.”

Both responded with an “Oh.” Last night Ayen had to return to her room right after Ladius fainted, and Elyon wasn't even there, so they had no idea what happened after that.

“Thank you, Dad!” said Ayen as she hurriedly headed for the stairs, this time, the little brother did not have to follow. She overheard a conversation between him and Mr. Butcher. Looks like he's begging for food again…

Upstairs, Ayen stopped in front of Raymond's room. She peered through the half-opened door. It is the smallest room, so the furniture is arranged closely together. However, they are very warm and cozy. Everything inside has a green tone, from the bed linen, and carpet to the decorations. It's not too difficult to understand that it's Raymond's favorite color. Robyn was asleep, so of course he didn't notice Ayen's presence. Next to him was Toot, a snow-white cat-owl, the family pet. It has been dubbed the descendant of the prestigious griffin, but that certainly needs to be verified as Toot spends most of his time eating and sleeping. Robyn was still wearing his hunting suit from last night, and with his sword lying on the floor, he must have had a long and tiring night.

Ayen gently closed the door, then headed to Robyn's room. Along the corridor, she saw other rooms that had belonged to former members here. Most of them had come and gone before Ayen first set foot in this place. She had only heard about them from stories told by Robyn or Butcher. Some people she hasn't had a chance to meet yet, others... she never will...

After three exemplary knocks, Raymond came out to welcome Ayen in. Robyn's room, although large, looked quite messy.

“Just talk freely, he's still asleep.” Raymond plopped down on the bed where Ladius was lying.

Ayen was startled for a moment, but contrary to her worries, he remained asleep. She watched Ladius, sleeping peacefully - curled up in a blanket like a kitten. There was not a single trace of worry or sorrow glimmering on that innocent face. Ayen moved closer, pushing his dark hair with the ends turned white to one side for a better view. Serene is probably the best word to describe Ladius right now.

She turned to Raymond. “What happened last night? After we went to sleep?” Ayen sat down in the chair across from him.

“Me and Robyn took Ladius up to Robyn's room. That what his idea, he wanted to watch over him.”

“Did anything else happen?” Ayen put her hand on her chin.

“Since the room is still tidy and undisturbed, it probably didn’t.”        

Raymond looked around, things weren't quite as he said. “I mean, tidy in Robyn's way …” He scratched his head, grinning. “Speaking of which, how is he?”

“Exhausted, I would say...” She covered her mouth, giggling. “Ah, what about the stew? When did you cook it?”

“Probably a few hours before you left the house?” Raymond excited. “I figured Robyn would stay up all night so I got it ready, I cook it in the back of the house too! So, of course, you guys won't catch me! Surprise!”

He hugged his stomach and laughed, delightedly patting Ayen's shoulder. “Have you eaten it yet? Is it delicious?”

“It is, very tasty. There's a compliment for you, Raymond.”

The voice wasn't Ayen, but it belonged to Elyon, who was standing at the door. In his hand he held a bowl of stew, chewing while speaking. Both of them turned around surprised, not sure how long he had been there.

“I bet you two were so busy talking that you didn't notice me. It's okay, I don't need to listen to you two to understand what happened anyway.”

It was the same calm look on Elyon's face every time he appeared. He set the bowl down on the nightstand and leaned forward to get a good look at Ladius.

“Hmm… He's beautiful enough, but it looks like he's about the same age as Ayen. So I'm still the youngest here!” Elyon smirked, relieved to know his unique position was preserved.

 But Elyon's joy didn't last long as it was interrupted by a burning feeling of excitement. Ladius is moving! Not only him, but the restlessness was also evident on the other two's faces. Elyon and Ayen slowly took a few steps back, trying to tiptoe over Raymond's shoulder to watch.

Ladius opened his eyes, grimaced, and raised his hand to rub his head. Not staggered like last night, this time he jumped up, making everyone wary. He glanced around, looking more surprised than scared. Ladius' gaze met three other pairs of eyes that were staring straight at him. The ominous situation silenced everyone until Ayen broke the uncomfortable silence.

In fact, she herself didn't know what to say, but something encouraged her to do so.

“Good morning, how do you feel?”

“Who are you guys…? Where am I…?” Ladius ignored the other person's question.

“I am Ayen. Ayen Cain.” She reached out her hands in turn to the two people beside her. “This is Elyon and Raymond. And the place you are staying in is The First Coin Tavern.” Without any response, Ayen continued.

“How do you feel? Any pain or fatigue?”

“No, I'm fine… It's just, the feeling is indescribable when I suddenly know something, but I don't remember how I got it.”

“For example?” Ayen raised her voice, expectantly.

“Like understanding what you're saying and knowing how to respond.”

The answer made Ayen even more curious. “Anything else? About the outside world? Or things that you can do… like life skills?”

“Well, I know this world called Aeverune, divided into three main continents. There are days, there are nights, and there are four seasons. Based on the weather, I guess this is winter?” Ladius peered out the window, he didn't seem sure about his answer either. “That big guy, I don't know why he has horns, but I guess you and—”

“Elyon.” Ayen reminded.

“You and Elyon are humans. Humans have an average lifespan of about 80. Humans need to eat. An example is that stewed bowl, which is placed on top of a cupboard, near the head of the bed.”

Ladius emphasized objects each time he named them. He's trying to be as detailed as possible.

“Is that enough… Ayen? Is your name right?”

“That's right.” Ayen answered curtly, confusion evident on her face. She helplessly turned to Elyon and Raymond for help, but they only responded with a shrug.

“Do you remember why you were in the forest? What happened before that?”

“Sorry, I don't… I don't know. I just remember seeing a girl with purple hair. It's you!” Ladius pointed his finger at Ayen. “Then I fainted… and I saw you again… and I fainted again… and here I am.” Ladius faltered.

“The First Coin Tavern?” He frowned. “What exactly is it?”

“I will tell you everything about The First Coin. In return, you also have to tell me and everyone what you know, okay?” She extended her right hand forward.

“O… okay.” He glanced down at Ayen's hand. “What are you doing?”  

“It's called shaking hands, don't you know? Like this.” She grabbed someone's hand to demonstrate for Ladius. The lucky one chosen was Raymond.

“Like this, like this!” He mimicked Ayen, enthusiastically…

“It's like a way to greet, or express gratitude! Understand?” Ayen once again extended her hand towards Ladius.

“So that's it. I got it.” His mouth was round. And this time he knew how to shake hands.

[1] Name of a goddess

0