Chapter 1: Quiet Fadeout
67 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The body lay before us, lifeless and still. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. The air was thick with the metallic stench of blood and death. My companion looked at me, on my face was a mixture of shock and numbness, and I knew I needed to act quickly. 

I smeared my hands with the warm touch of fresh blood as I extracted the dagger from the man's neck and placed it back in my belt.

"Let's take him out of here" I said urgently, my voice low and steady. Naia nodded, and together we lifted the young man's body off the ground. He was surprisingly heavy for his size, and his head lolled limply as he had no control over his muscles anymore.

My eyes were drawn to the deep and jagged wound across his neck, a brutal gash that had severed his jugular vein. Blood oozed from the wound, staining the floor a dark, viscous red.

The young man's eyes were still open, staring to the ground with an expression of terror and disbelief. It was then that I came to my senses and realized that I was the one who had caused this, that I was the one who had taken his life.

"It was him or us...he chose his fate" I muttered reassuringly as I helped her carry the dead infiltrator towards the entrance. Naia nodded her head and stared at me blankly in agreement, understanding the gravity of the situation as well as I did. She remained unfazed by the sight of death, for it is a frequent occurrence in our line of work. With every enemy we took down, there were always ten more waiting to take their place, eager to test their mettle against us.

I examined the body of the man we had just killed, on his belongings I found a letter that read "First Lunar Cycle, 27th of the III" It was written today judging by the date inscripted at the top, "Walk to the ascension, the gates shall open" It finished below, with the distinctive circular black seal of the Obsidian Circle, 'Ascension?' I thought. This was an invitation, or a warning? I couldn't be sure but one thing was certain; this man knew something about what awaited the district and he wanted us both dead for knowing too.

His body would be reported missing soon enough; someone would clearly come looking for him, but they wouldn't find anything except a pool of blood in the dormitory room where he had died, which meant someone would be on the lookout for us too now.

The district of Prylock is one of the three central districts of the Three Keys Republic, home to numerous organized groups that are all competing for dominance and seeking notoriety among the underground. One group, however—the mysterious organization known as the Obsidian Circle—stands out among them all as being more than a simple gang or street-level syndicate; extremely cruel and clever in their tactics, they have become notorious enough over time to earn themselves an actual name. 

Few knew the true extent of the Circle's power and influence, but everyone knew the consequences if you crossed them: death by torture at best, enslavement at worst.

Naia opened the door slowly, peering cautiously into the empty corridors beyond. There was nothing but darkness and silence ahead. We carefully carried the corpse through the doorway and set it down on the cold stone floor. I glanced around nervously, checking if anyone else might have been lurking nearby, ready to ambush us.

"This way, I'll lead the path" I whispered and Naia picked up the body again.

We crept forward along the dim hallway of the Academy hall making way to the stairs leading downwards. Our footsteps echoed loudly throughout the stairwell, causing me to tense up further. Upon reaching the last step of the staircase, I took a blanket i found lying about and placed it on top of the corpse to make sure we would not be disturbed by any curious passersby as we made our escape.

The main plaza of the Academy was mostly empty at this time of night, save for us and the guards stationed outside each building. Moonlight illuminated the dormitory structures surrounding the central courtyard, casting long shadows over everything all around. The shadows were our guide, pointing us in the direction we needed to take while concealing our movements from any unwanted eyes.

A large fountain lay in the center of the square, splashing gently onto the cobblestone paving below making a gurgling noise which drowned the sound of our feet crunching on the ground as we exited the academy grounds.

There were several people scattered on the exit, sitting on the floor or leaning on the wall, drinking and laughing amongst themselves. None paid us any attention though; they were too preoccupied with their own lives to notice two strangers clad in the uniform of the Republic's militia passing them by.

Our destination lay not far away now, only a few blocks from the Academy walls. It was an abandoned old tavern named 'The Old Lady' nestled between two other buildings. There was no better spot than this for hiding out until dawn arrived. Tomorrow morning, in the plain cover of light and the crowds, we'd make our move and inform the rest of our team that the district complete is compromised. If the Obsidian Circle has begun to operate within the grounds of the High Council of the Republic, the the Insurgents must surely be on our Doorstep aswell.

The streets were eerily quiet, devoid of any activity. The moonlight shone brightly overhead, illuminating the cobbled roads and street. After walking a bit, we finally reached a small alleyway across from the tavern. It's wooden exterior looking worn and aged compared to the rest of the establisments that lined the streets. Its signboard hung crookedly above swinging slightly as wind blew past.

"Wait here" I instructed Naia "I'll have to force the front door open first."

She nodded her head without question and waited patiently behind the corner, hidden from view.

I crossed the narrow street quietly through the shadows, careful to avoid drawing much attention. The rest followed suit until I found myself standing before a large wooden door that looked like it hadn't seen much use since its construction several centuries ago. The lock was broken so I didn't even bother trying to pick it. Instead, I placed my hand on it and focused my mind.

I was never particularly adept at the arts of magic but there were some things that came easily for me regardless—cryomancy being one of them.

The keyhole on the door began glowing a faint blue as it started to get consumed by the ruinous grip of frostbite. I hit it hard with the pommel of my dagger and the whole piece fell apart into shards. The door swung inwardwards easily meaning the way inside was clear.

I turned around to beckon Naia to follow when suddenly the sharp whistle of a crossbow bolt whirred loudly on my left ear, narrowly missing my head and embedding itself into the wooden doorframe behind me.

A second bolt followed soon after, raking across my chest, leaving a trail of blood and a searing pain in its wake.

I stumbled backwards, clutching my bleeding torso as I made my way inside the dark tavern. My heart raced wildly within my ribcage as adrenaline coursed through my veins.

"Naia! Hurry!" I shouted frantically to the top of my lungs.

She held her the corpse high above her shoulders to shield herself as she sprinted to my position, arrows flying past her head like a swarm of angry bees. As quick as lightning, I grabbed her arm and pulled her in to safety just before another arrow slammed into the door as i pushed it shut.

Inside, the air was thick with dust and the scent of old ale, and the only light came from a few faint shafts of moonlight that filtered through the dirty windows.

I peaked through the crack of the door, hoping to catch sight of whoever fired those bolts but saw nothing.

"Shit, shit…" I muttered under my breath, shaking off the stinging sensation in my side and taking stock of the situation.

"Are you alright?" Naia asked anxiously. Her face was pale and drawn, her hair disheveled from the attack.

"Yeah, I'm fine, are you hurt anywhere?" I replied, searching her for signs of injury.

"We need to get out of here," she said "We're trapped in here"

My gaze wandered back towards the door where more crossbow bolts had been lodged into the wood. A few seconds later, I heard the heavy thud of boots hitting the floor outside.

"They're coming in!" I hissed quickly, pulling Naia down below the counter.

With bated breaths, we stayed silent and still waiting for whatever fate would befall us next. Moments passed slowly and agonizingly slow.

The door creaked open as someone entered. With a loud grunt, he kicked the door closed again, slamming it against the wall with such force that I thought it might break completely.

"You really think you can hide here forever? You know what happens to those who test an assassin's patience, don't you?" He warned menacingly. His voice sounded familiar yet different somehow, deeper and darker.

He stepped further inside, his eyes scanning the room cautiously. We remained motionless beneath the countertop, afraid to breathe lest it give ourselves away.

His presence moved closer, his steps echoing hollowly on the dusty wooden floors.

"I mean no disrespect to you guys, but you don't seem to be a very smart bunch" He mentioned nonchalantly, kicking over a table.

Naia gripped tightly onto my arm as she tried to tell me something with her hands, gesturing up at the ceiling. She mouthed silently 'look' at me, pointing upwards.

It took me a moment to realize what she wanted me to do, she wanted me to lure the man below the crumbling ceiling so that we could take him unaware. I knew this guy was dangerous enough already, so we couldn't risk engaging in any sort of combat with him unless it became absolutely necessary. But if he kept walking about aimlessly, then maybe we'd have our chance.

Without a second thought, I made a sudden dash towards the back of the tavern, to a hidden part that I had spotted earlier. I slid under a rickety old table with a large tablecloth draped over it and held my breath, trying to make myself as small as possible.

The man shot a bolt in the dark using the direction of my sound but missed his target narrowly once again. He laughed in amusement at my bold feat as he quickly came to realize our plan to distract him.

He scanned the area in suspicion as he called out mockingly, "You think your little trickery can outsmart me, Vix'tar? Your quick reflexes and cunning are no match for my experience in hunting down your kind."

He chuckled to himself, relishing in his own superiority, as he moved closer to Naia's hiding spot.

I knew it was too risky to let Naia fight him alone, even though she was one of the best fighters I had ever seen. But there was something about the way this man carried himself that made me realize he was in a league of his own.

The way he moved with deadly grace and precision that made me shiver with fear. It was clear that he was not just some thug hired for muscle, but a highly trained killer with years of experience. The thought of facing him in combat made my heart race and my palms sweat.

But I knew I didn't have much choice. The only thing standing between Naia and death was my ability to draw this bastard's attention towards me.

"Who are you?!" I shouted angrily, revealing myself in hopes that it would distract him long enough to allow Naia to finish the job.

As soon as I revealed myself, he stopped dead in his tracks and started making his way to me slowly.

"Oh Lai, Have you forgotten about me already?" " He mocked sarcastically "Worry not dear, you'll start remembering me sooner or later." He added with a cruel chuckle.

I had never encountered this man before, and yet, his voice seemed strangely familiar to me. It stirred up deep feelings within me, memories that were not mine.

This man reminded me of someone…someone that I used to call friend. Someone I loved dearly and cared for deeply. My mind struggled to recall his name, the memories were fading fast now. All that was left was a haunting feeling that this man resembled somebody very close to me.

"Are you working working for the Obsidian Circle? Or perhaps you were sent by the Insurgents?" I asked boldly, almost hoping that my words might change the outcome of things.

The Insurgents and the Circle did have a history of working together, and it only made sense that they would send assassins after us considering how much trouble we've caused them recently. But I had to be more careful with my words. I couldn't risk suggesting that this man betray his orders and his banner for a deal, not when we were already skating on thin ice.

Despite my attempt at diplomacy, the man continued to approach me without answering. The sound of his crossbow being cocked was the only reply I received.

He replied, his tone laced with sarcasm, "Oh sweetie, do you really think that everyone who comes to kill has some ulterior motive? How adorable. You really have no idea how the world works, do you?"

He chuckled to himself, clearly amused by my naivety. It was clear that he thought we were fools for not realizing the true nature of his intentions.

"You see, not all assassins are driven by loyalty to a banner or cause. Some of us are just in it for the thrill of the hunt. It's not about power or revenge, its simply an adrenaline rush, a game that we play like children. But you would know all about that wouldn't you, little girl?" He said jokingly.

My blood ran cold hearing those words come from his lips; I felt sick to my stomach knowing that people like him existed in the world. People who enjoyed killing others for sport and pleasure, not caring whether their victims deserved it or not.

My patience wore thin as I tried to hold my tongue, but I wasn't sure if it would last.

"If you're going to try and taunt me into doing something stupid with all this nonsense talk then don't bother," I warned, taking another step forward and drawing the dagger that I kept concealed behind my cloak. "Because I'm not afraid of you!"

His eyes lit up, obviously pleased that he finally got to toy with me a bit. For a moment, the place went silent as the three of us stood there waiting for someone to make a move in the pitch black room.

As I finished speaking, the silence grew longer and longer, until it became almost deafening. I had the sense that something was very wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on what it was.

And then, suddenly, I felt a cold breath on the back of my neck, and a pair of strong hands wrapped around my throat cutting off my air supply.

I gasped for breath, struggling against his iron grip, but it was no use. He was too strong, far stronger than any human should possess. His fingers dug painfully into my flesh, squeezing tightly.

I managed to scratch his eyes with my nails, causing him to release his chokehold slightly, allowing me to take in some oxygen once again.

But before I could even fully recover, the man was upon me, faster than I could react. His face was covered by a half-broken bleak gold mask that concealed his left eye, and a deep cut ran from his bare neck to just below where he wore his leather chest piece.

As he held me down, I felt his hot breath on my ear, and he whispered something that made my blood run cold. "You and I are going to meet again soon," he said, his voice filled with a twisted sense of amusement. "So keep those pretty little eyes of yours open."

He drew his sword and brought it down towards me with deadly precision. I tried to dodge, to move out of the way, but it was too late. The blade came crashing through the middle of my chest and pinned me to the wall with terrifying force.

My vision swimming with red, I watched helplessly as Naia launched herself at him.

Her arms shook violently as she strained to keep her grip on her sword, struggling against the strength of the larger warrior. In an instant, the two went tumbling across the tavern, crashing heavily into tables and chairs alike until finally falling to the ground amidst broken crockery and smashed glass.

The man struggled beneath her weight, trying to shake free of Naia's grasp as he tried to regain control of his dagger. She managed to grab the knife with one hand and thrust it upwards into the base of the man's skull. Blood gushed forth from his mouth and nose as he collapsed lifelessly to the ground.

Before I could even speak, Naia rose to her feet, looking shaken by the experience but otherwise unhurt. The look in her eyes told me everything: I wasn't going to live much longer either.

My vision began to blur as I struggled to keep my focus. Naia was beside me, her expression full of sorrow and despair. My mind was clouded, but I knew what I had to do.

As the last vestiges of life left my body, I felt something missing from my leg. It was my Dorlascan dagger, which had fallen to the ground somewhere during our struggle.

With a struggling gasp, I reached pointed in the direction where the dagger lay.

"M-my dagger..." I mumbled weakly, reaching down to pick it up.

Naia looked at me with tears welling up in her eyes before picking the weapon up from where she lay and bringing it near to me.

I held it with her hands as she turned away, unable to watch me die. With trembling fingers I pulled the edge of the blade just below my heart and held it firmly with my hands on top of Naia's.

Her fingers trembled as she held it close to my skin, feeling its coldness seeping through her palms. Then without warning, the dagger came alive under her touch and pulsated with energy so strong it felt like fire running through my veins.

It was beautiful, powerful beyond anything else I had ever seen before. And yet, it was also painful; every movement seemed to cause excruciating pain all throughout my body.

"The curse..." I mumbled weakly, unable to form any words more coherent than that.

"No!" Naia cried, her voice breaking as she clutched the dagger tight within her hands knowing what she had to do in order to save my life. "There must be another way! There has got to be—"

"There is no time! You have to kill me now or I will surely die," I insisted, gritting my teeth as I drowned in my own blood.

She stared at me with misty eyes, shaking her head slowly. Her lips were quivering as she tried to find words to ease my agony.

"Don't worry..."-I murmured softly, closing my eyes and preparing myself for death.

A single tear rolled down my cheek, trailing off my chin as I spoke the final line I would ever say in this world... "you could never hurt me".

With a single motion, she plunged the dagger deep.

There was no pain, not even when the tip pierced my beating heart. All I felt was the warmth of her hands holding mine, the serenity and peace flowing through us both as we shared a final embrace together. I felt comfort in the knowledge that she would not remember this, that she wouldn't have to feel all the things I did after she killed me. This was my fate, my burden to carry.

And yet despite knowing exactly what was coming next, I couldn't help but feel a twinge of melancholy, a sense of leaving something behind. But it was only temporary. Soon, I would wake up again, back to the beginning of this twisted nightmare.

2