26. Mystery Murder
318 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leonna walked to one of her regular courses class, having decided that crying won't solve anything, and whatever happened to her grandpa she would uncover it and see for herself if he was truly dead or alive. 

The class, a semi-circle room typical of academies, was called the spell theory class, a fundamental course that every student learns in their 4 years of studying in the academy. It dealt with the basics of spells to the advanced creation of spells and their theories. It was incredibly tough for most of the average students, and they deem it useless since as long as they choose their spell, they didn't need to know all the other theories and spells.

Leonna sat behind a group of 2 guys and 1 girl, having hushed discussions. She didn't care at first but she heard a word that piqued her interest, 'Murder'.

"I'm telling you guys, in two weeks, 5 girls have already disappeared, and no one knows their whereabouts at all." the girl said in a hushed tone, showing worry as she looked at her surroundings carefully.

"How would such a thing be possible? wouldn't teachers or guards look for them if they went missing?"One of the boys replied, not easily believing her.

"I don't know, but no one reacted to the disappearance as of yet." the girl was skittish, clinging to the second boy that hasn't spoken.

"I'm afraid to go to my room since one of the missing girls was living right next to my room, do you mind if I sleep with you for a couple of days?" she asked with a weak-sounding voice, pressing her assets on his shoulders.

Leonna's interest in their conversation ended. Those who are too lazy or don't want to work would resort to these tactics of relying on a talented and strong person, most of which users of said tactic were the female students unfortunately.

Just then, she saw the professor enter the room, an old man, wearing scholar robes while holding an enormous book in his hands.

"Quiet! You guys should pay attention to your lessons, otherwise, you will regret it one day." He sat his book down, as he began his daily lecture and complaint of the student's disinterest in the subject.

"What's the point of learning every spell theory if you're only going to use one?" one arrogant-looking student replied, his hands behind his head, his legs on top of the chair.

"This is where you're wrong, this FUNDEMENTAL course is the difference between life and death, of the many generations of students that I taught, only those who paid attention to this class survived past a hundred years. Do you know how low of a percent that is?" said the old man with a frown. He had been alive for almost 300 hundred years now, almost reaching the end of his lifespan, yet he was still here giving the remainder of his life to teaching as best as he could, but these brats didn't listen or care for his warnings.

"I keep reminding you of the true benefits of this course, the knowledge of spells, their functions, limits, and most importantly their weaknesses. This knowledge, should you treasure it will ensure you don't end up in a ditch somewhere out in the wilderness, while maggots eat your remains." He only saw one or two students showing serious expressions, those would probably live for a long time.

"Fine have it your way, today's lesson, Ritual spells. These spells are one of the most dangerous spells you could encounter, and the chances of you not surviving it are almost 100%, unless, of course, you pay attention to what I'm about to say." The professor picked up a stick that wrote like a pen, as he moved his hand over the whiteboard.

 

He drew a simple ritual spell, along with instructions and key info regarding it. He looked back at the students,

"This simple ritual spell, allows you to exchange a little of your blood for some random object. You might think it isn't that much, but you should know the story 1000 years ago of a student in the early days of the academy who used this spell on accident, would someone tell me what he gained in exchange?" He looked at the students, most having a bored expressions.

Leonna raised her hand, and said, "He gained a legacy that propelled him into one of the most powerful people." This was a famous story that everyone knew.

"That's right, just from simple blood, he gained something extraordinary that easily. Though you might never be so lucky, this demonstrates the powerful use of ritual spells. But be careful, these spells will always, always have a price." said the professor in a warning voice, yet as always they ignored him.

Leonna carefully took notes, recording every important piece of info. She was usually the same as these students, not paying that much attention to this class, but knowing that powerful enemies awaited her, she needed to be prepared as best as she could, which included knowledge.

"The more advanced a ritual spell is the more the price is higher. Let this be a warning, don't you ever, ever use such spells, they guarantee your doom. I'm only teaching you this to be aware of the dangers and how you might possibly avoid or mitigate its effects if it's used on you." 

The class continued for 2 hours, the professor talking continuously and endlessly. Some of the students even fell asleep while the others were starting to sleep as well. Only Leonna paid attention, which caught his interest.

'It seems at least one of my students will survive.' The old man was past the point where he scolded students, no matter what they were doing. It's their life they were shortening.

"That's for class today, dismissed." Finally, the students felt relieved from the boring lecture and quickly filed out of the room.

"I heard your grandfather was dead, he was a great man, I hope this doesn't stop you from advancing in your path." said the professor just as Leonna left the class.

"..." she left, unable to say anything. She didn't want to deal with this, not at this time.

Just in front of her, she saw the girl that was talking about the mysterious disappearances talking to another boy, this one a tall, dark-haired, and slightly handsome boy.

Just as she wanted to pass by them, she heard their conversation, but it was more like an interrogation.

"You have to have seen something, where she went, or if she went with someone else?" asked the dark-haired boy with a tense voice.

"Look, I don't know where she went, I only heard some strange sounds from her room, before it stopped. I was too scared to leave. But in the morning I reported the incident to a teacher, but they just said they would look into it." replied the girl with an annoyed voice.

"Tell me the name of this teacher." The dark-haired boy had a sharp and determined gaze, his glare causing the girl to be uncomfortable.

"I don't know, I didn't ask for his name, but he was a new teacher I think, haven't seen him in the academy for long." The girl tried to leave, but she was stopped by the boy.

"What else? what were his features and shape?" 

"sigh... He was tall, balding a little, wearing tight-fit clothes that kinda looked weird, that's all I noticed okay?" This time she slipped away, quickly leaving the area.

The dark-haired boy punched the wall, giving a frustrated sigh.

Leonna ignored him, she had her own stuff to worry about.

She decided to visit that weird puppet or toy and see what he has to truly say about her grandfather.

8