22 – Sanae (Perspective) | Meyriv – Destructive Delusions
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sanae watched as Meyriv confronted Rynisia.
“...I’m not letting you humiliate me further!”

“So be it.” Rynisia said coldly.

Without warning, he collapsed like a rag doll.

Rynisia stepped forward and caught him.

He mumbled something hoarse.

She replied softly; Sanae didn’t catch the words.

Sanae looked at Rynisia quizzically.

She was smiling, and there were tears falling from her eyes.

What did she do to him? She wondered.

Sanae wasn’t sure if it was polite to watch. She shifted from foot to foot uncomfortably. She decided to walk a distance away and sit on the grass.

Eventually, Meyriv walked over. His eyes were still wet with tears, which created strange distortions on their reflective surface.

“You should probably return to the village before the ship leaves without you.” Meyriv said

“So I take it you’re staying here?”

“For now. I need more time to talk to her, and then I have some tasks to do before I go to the mainland.”

“Well, I wish you luck! Thank you for your help.” She refrained from saying “I told you so!”

- - -

Meyriv watched Sanae start back down the mountain path.

He breathed deeply from the cool mountain air. The steady pulse of power was comforting to have again.

He found Rynisia back in her throne. She had roots wind themselves into another seat facing her. Meyriv quietly sat down.

Finally, he put his thoughts into words:
“Why did you forgive me?”

She looked at him with a sad smile. “Why not? You’ve suffered enough, you said so yourself.”

“No, I mean why did you bring me here to tell me? Why does it matter to you?”

“Because I didn’t want to see you continue suffering alone.”

“How did you see me?”

“The conduit you created goes both ways. Your thoughts and emotions echo from your soul. Until recently, I was keeping it closed. Well, mostly. I could still sense what was happening, and a small amount of energy can always escape.”

Meyriv was silent for a time. “So ever since I created it…”

“I’ve been able to sense you, yes. You could’ve sensed me too if you had stopped to listen.”

“…How did you become fused with a wellspring in the first place?”

“The surfacing of the wellspring caused an earthquake. I was traveling with my family when a rockslide knocked me into the spring itself. My parents weren’t so lucky.”

Her voice was calm, but he felt the ripples of her grief all the same.
“I’m sorry.” He said, awkwardly fidgeting with the armrests of the chair.

“It’s alright, it’s been a long time.” She paused. “After that I was less conscious for a long time. When you started spending time near the spring it helped me become more awake.”

“So I was the first person you had seen since being here?”

“Yes.”

“And I then went on to stab you and steal power that was rightfully yours. I was such a fool.”

“A fool who didn’t really understand what he was doing.” She said softly

“Ignorance doesn’t excuse—”He stammered

“Not always, but regardless you’ve already suffered consequences to more than pay for it.”
She spoke again, “Your dreams of your father sometimes reach me. He was humorless, impatient, and demanding, particularly to such a young boy.” She said, anger rising in her voice.

“It was not pleasant, but I admit his methods worked. I became skilled at study and meticulous in my work.” He defended

She raised her voice, “At the cost of you growing to believe that order should be enforced rather than encouraged!”
Meyriv tried to reply, but a surge of her presence quickly silenced him and she continued, “Your father didn’t teach you to be a good, productive person. He taught you how to be an efficient, cowering slave. And then, once you had the power, you brought what you knew to those defenseless people! Rule by fear alone will end in suffering!”
She took a deep breath and the feeling of her presence subdued.
“Sorry. I didn’t mean to—”

He held up his hand, “No, you’re right. That’s exactly what happened. I was a fool not to see it.”

Her eyes brightened again and she smiled. She placed a hand on his wrist.
“I was lucky to have good parents. That’s why I want to help you. You never had that privilege.”

 

He tilted his head "What does securing my loyalty have to do with helping me?"

She laughed, "Because there's a lot that needs doing, and solving problems for someone will help you heal."

0