28 – Josin – Drowning
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the city-state of Lem, Josin stumbled to the gate of his families’ estate after the worst day of his life. His once-fine clothes were tattered and covered in his own dried and drying blood.
The lone guard opened a hatch and raised an eyebrow at him. “Go beg somewhere else.” The man said dismissively.
“Hiren, it’s me.” Josin croaked

The man’s jaw dropped and he hurriedly loosened the bolts holding the door shut. “By the Oathbound, what happened to you?”

“I don’t know exactly, and what I do remember I want to forget as soon as possible.” He said as the guard helped him limp up the walkway to the main residence.

“This can’t all be your blood, is it?” Hiren asked

Josin shrugged, too tired for words.

“Your father can take care of this, just give me a name.” The guard insisted.

Josin shook his head. “Just get me to my chambers and find me a bottle of something strong.” He rasped

Hiren sighed and faced him;
“Josin, with all due respect if someone attacked you your father needs to know. You can drown yourself in drink as soon as you tell me—”

“I CANT!” He screeched, causing a few birds to flee the nearby trees. “I’m sorry, I…can’t.” He sobbed. “Please, just…let me go.”

- - -

Alone in his chambers, Josin finished washing off the blood. He was covered in bruises, but the worst of the wounds were just…gone. He remembered vividly, the jeering of the crowd and the sickening crunch as his bones were smashed and blood pooled around him.
And then, an eternity of dull pain. He should have been dead, but he somehow…persisted. Then with a flash of light he was standing again, looking into the amused smirk of the demon from the stands. The one who did this to him and laughed.

A knock sounded on his door. “Refreshments” called a young squire.
“Leave them there.” Josin replied

A bottle of liquor was waiting when he finally opened the door.
As he shakily poured himself a shot, he remembered what had happed, right before he had began limping his way home.
That medallion he had picked up. “Probably cursed, knowing who gave it to me. I should get rid of it.”
As the liquor began to pad his thoughts, he took out the medallion, spinning it on its chain absentmindedly. The gemstones glittered in the lantern light.

He was filling another shot when a voice rudely interrupted his thoughts: So Vul really screwed us both, didn’t he?

Josin jumped and nearly spilled the bottle.

I’m more drunk than I thought. He said to himself.
He drained the shot and promptly passed out on his bed.

- - -

Josin.

Josin!

Spoiled noble scion!

Wake UP you worthless—
His eyes flicked open and he flailed his arms to catch himself from an imaginary fall. His racing heart gradually slowed.

Finally. I thought you would sleep the entire day you lazy lout. The voice sounded in his mind.

“Who’s there?” he said groggily
I’m trapped in this catalyst. You’re going to help me out of this mess.

“Who…” He stammered “What’s a catalyst?”

The medallion, you idiot! The one brimming with magic you are too blind to see.
He grunted. “Oh, that. Cursed, I knew it.”

No, but you will be if you don’t listen to me. The voice threatened

Josin was tired and cranky and it was hard to take this rude…thing seriously.
“Prove it.” He said while rubbing his eyes

What?

“If you actually could curse me, why wouldn’t you do it right away so that I’m dependent on you to lift it?”

…Look, Vul left me like this. Don’t you want to help me out? You’ve been a victim of his whims, you know how terrible he is.

“Actually, aren’t you supposed to try winning me over before resorting to threats? I think you mixed up the order.”

The voice was silent for a while, then:
Fine. I admit, I’m all but powerless in this state. But I know things that could help you get back at Vul for what he did.

“No way. I won’t have anything to do with him. I barely got away with my life the first time.”

What do you want? Wealth? Power? Fame?
“Even if I did want those, how do I know you can grant them? And besides, even if you can, in stories I’ve heard those tend to have horrible side effects. The poor fool wishes for ‘a hill of gold’ and the spirit drops it on him. That sort of thing.”

While I don’t have the power to grant things directly, I have knowledge that can be leveraged to accomplish many things, in exchange for help escaping my current predicament.

“How can your knowledge get me wealth?” He asked skeptically.

Long term or short term? Short term, I could help you cheat at cards, but that would likely draw hostile attention from the losers. Long term, I know some juicy political secrets that could lead to considerable leverage for blackmailing certain officials.

“Both of those options sound like they could get me killed.”

Only for a spineless coward like yourself. It snapped indignantly,

“You’re doing a terrible job of flattering your way into my good graces. Find me a safe way to acquire wealth, then we can negotiate. I don’t have much to work with, though. My allowance is dismal and as a third son I’m not in line to inherit much…And before you suggest it, no; I’m not having either of my brothers killed. That’s a laughably predictable plot and I’d be one of the primary suspects no matter how well I covered my tracks.”

Vul couldn’t stop laughing as he listened.

0