32 – Sanae – Obstacles
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“One of the messenger birds returned this morning, and we’ve received word from your mother.” Captain Zerain said, and handed her a tiny rolled paper.

Sanae,

I’m so happy to hear you are safe! I’ve had limited success tracking down your captors and I was running out of ideas.
No improvement in your father’s condition, but I’m still searching for solutions.

I’ll be waiting in Cragmouth in the merchant’s guild housing.

It was then signed and stamped with a wax seal her mother used for official business.

Sanae stared at the letter for several minutes. “Something’s not right.” She finally said.

“What makes you say that?” Areenya asked

“It’s not like her to write such a short message. She would normally fill every spare inch of paper with questions and stories. And she wouldn’t mention searching for treatments for father when she knows I think it’s a lost cause. On the other hand, it is her handwriting and her seal.”

The captain looked troubled, “That is worrying... We will need to investigate further when we stop in the port.”

- - -

They docked in Cragmouth a few days later. Captain Areenya insisted that Sanae stay on the ship while she did some investigation. After two days she returned to the ship.
“Please meet me in my cabin.” She said to Sanae.

After the latch was secured, Areenya turned to Sanae, who took a deep breath.
“Bad news?” She asked apprehensively

“Bad news.” Areenya confirmed, “Your mother is being kept under close scrutiny, but I can’t yet determine the exact details. There are several less-than-savory individuals taking turns watching her dwelling. She seems to be under some kind of house arrest; according to witnesses she hasn’t so much as left her room in a few days.”

“So how can we get her out?” Sanae asked

“We can’t. There are at least two mages among those watching her, one of whom is stronger than myself.”

“Could I…?”

“You might get lucky and defeat them…And in the process likely lay waste to everything in the vicinity, including yourself and your mother. Raw power can overcome superior skill, but not if you want to be selective in what you destroy.”

“What’s the point of having power if it can’t help me do what I need?!”

“It can, you just need a few years of training under your belt. You’ve only been learning for, what, a matter of weeks? It’s impressive you already have as good of control as you do, but most mages require years if not decades of intense training to be considered combat-ready.” She said consolingly.

“But I can't just sit around and do nothing! She said angrily

“Biding your time and being cautious are not ‘nothing’. To be honest, for your own safety I even considered telling you your mother had been taken elsewhere, but I decided I could trust you not to try anything foolish.

If you want to throw your life away I won’t stop you, but I don’t want to be around to see it.”

As Sanae’s frustration and helplessness climbed she felt tears welling in her eyes. She stood up, unlatched the door and ran to her tiny cabin.
She closed the door, collapsed onto her cot, and screamed into her pillow.

- - -

Still in her chair, Areenya sighed and rubbed her temples. She took a few moments to collect her thoughts, then she brushed her flowing red hair out of her face and began to compose a message.

- - -

Sanae woke up feeling refreshed, but it only lasted until she remembered why she’d locked herself in her cabin.

A short rap on her door interrupted her thoughts. “Sanae? May I come in?” Areenya asked.

“It’s your ship…” Sanae said miserably.

Areenya took this as a ‘yes’ and the lock magically unlatched itself.

The captain seated herself at the cramped desk by Sanae’s cot.

“I was a bit harsh with what I said earlier.” She began, “While we don’t have any good way to help your mother at the moment, I could’ve explained it in a kinder way. I keep forgetting how young and inexperienced you are.”

Sanae stayed on her cot and gave no response.

Areenya sighed.

“Really, you remind me of when I was young. I made many regrettable decisions that I should have been able to prevent, and I’m trying to ensure you don’t make similar mistakes.”

“You survived.” Sanae pointed out.

I did, yes, but because of me some of my dearest friends did not.” Areenya said bitterly.

After a few moments Sanae asked, “What happened?”

“…That’s a tale for another day. Suffice to say that I took some foolish risks and my friends paid the price.”

“I’m sorry.” Sanae said.

“Don’t be, it was a long time ago. If you truly wish to gain wisdom then make every effort to learn from the mistakes of others. We can only make so many of our own before it’s too late.

A long silence passed as the ship slowly creaked and sighed in the shifting tide.

“What should I do, then?” Sanae finally asked.

“You can continue to accompany me for my next voyage. I’ll be following the coast South past Myre and on to Akil. I’ve sent a message to an acquaintance there who may be able to find a suitable mentor for you.”

“Why Akil?” Sanae asked. “Surely there should be someone nearer who could teach me.”

“Perhaps, but I don’t have anyone to refer you to here, and I want to avoid leaving you somewhere your captors might be watching. Besides, the libraries of Kzek are legendary. Scholars and mages flock there in droves. If we’re lucky, my contact may be able to apprentice you to one of the most accomplished mages on the continent.”

“But my mother—”

“Would doubtless prefer you to stay safe rather than walking into a trap with her as bait.” Areenya said confidently. “I’ll see if I can get a friend of mine to keep an eye on her situation. It’s not much, but it’s all I can arrange on short notice.”

Sanae wiped tears from her eyes and took a deep breath. “…Thank you for all you’ve been doing for me.”

“I’m just doing what I wish somebody had done for me.” Areenya said, waving away the thanks. “Thank me after you get back and rescue your mother with a snap of your fingers.”

0