❧ Chapter 32: Dusty Times ❧
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A clocks' chime behind her resonated four times. The day nearly done, another day that has spilled out and turned to so much dust. Merryn made her arms relax.

A sharp rap on the door.

He gave her a stern look before going over to it, then snapped his fingers and the pile of furniture shimmered fading away.

She made a fist then flicked her thumb off her front teeth. "A plague on you and your family."

He startled. His face reddened, and he gave her a dirty look then wagged a finger at her. "Watch your manners or I may not be so kind as I am now."

He opened it and another man walked in, tall and lean with a taunt measure about him, his short blond hair slicked back. He also wore a red cape but much darker.

"It is done." The other man smiled.

"Go, and inform him that she is here, and has agreed to stay put."

First slow then gathering speed the water drained out the door.

He motioned with a hand to a hard stool next to the wall by the counter. "Go rest over there, I tire of you standing." He said a few more soundless words, these were quick and snapped though the air.

She strode over slumped forward and sat on it with her head hanging down. At least he didn't use that other spell.

Time became an almost tangible, but not quite, it was there though. A heavy weight settled into her heart. All emotions faded, but one. A burning from within bubbled to the surface like a poison.

The door closed, footsteps faded away.

Sloshes and splashes as he stepped. "I thought I'd enjoy this more, the necessity of this takes from that." He giggled a low sort that prickled her arms. "I jest, this has been very enjoyable."

She arched her neck. "You sick son of a basnar." She slammed the wall behind her, it crumbled and the wood broke over her fist.

"I love the face you make!" He slapped his thigh. A wolfish point brought up the corners of his eyes.

"You know, this day just gets better and better. I don't know what to do first, what with so many delicious ideas running through my head right now." His grin was unsettling.

This man had a death wish. The twitch in her ear zinged she rubbed it away. "Irritations; you create them."

"Yes." He chortled.

She settled on glaring at him. "When I get free, I―"

He lifted up one hand above his head, then slowly did a crushing gesture. "You'll do what? One wrong move, and they become a splatter on the ground."

On this she tilted her head and caught his gaze. "You have them captured?"

He shook his head. "No."

She choked back a scream, the skin on her her body rippled and her muscles twitched. Have to take it this shite, for their sake. She breathed in and out and ignored that smug smile. Her heart rate still beat too hard the thud overrode his voice. Her teeth ached from grinding them and clenching her jaw.

He went around her on the right then eased into a chair behind the counter and drummed his fingers, a flatness overtook his face.

Another knock on the door.

Every muscle tensed, she turned toward the door.

He jumped up, a smile twisted on his face as he went to the door, unlocking it.

Sunlight obscured the mans features, brightening him from behind and casting his face of shadow, he stepped over the landing. A crown of black curls swayed as Maxwell moved with quiet grace away from the door, one hand brushed the wispy strands from his eyes and in the other is staff again in hand.

She gasped. Should have known better, he's always had a knack for escaping. Didn't Parcival have his staff? Not matter what he did—except for that one time—his whole demeter held a air of menace that trickled up her arms and back, her fingers chilled as her heartbeat faster. Did he kill them? The staff wasn't damaged or bloodstained.

His eyes narrowed. "You know what I want. Wouldn't it make you happy to know they will live the rest of their lives in peace, never to fear again? Would you take that kind of peace away form them?"

"Hold your lying tongue!"

The shopkeeper closed the door and went back to sit behind the counter.

Merryn flinched as Maxwell placed an unwanted long fingered hand on her shoulder, his strong grip burned though the leather. "Then the Elders did choose the right one to do their work. After all, it takes the right kind person to callously slog off people like that."

He took in a breath.

"If you don't care about them then the same can be said about this pointless mission. Help me, give up the god and I'll make sure you're free of it."

Her arm became sore—had been rubbing it without thinking. She placed her hands on her lap; relaxing them. He made many valid points—in his opinion. Still. Hurting Parcival and the others wasn't ideal. Her chest twinge s and twisted a little. To have a normal life again...

She shook her head. Don't think like that. He could have done something to them already, far worse than holding them captive. Or they could be fine and he lies. The third way is he's already killed them. One way would end in blood. The other possibility is to escape and try getting to turn in time. The third is Maxwell's would die instead.

"Let me see them, and I'll go with you."

"There's no need to see them, my word that they're unharmed." Maxwell's rough hand grabbed her arm and dragged her up.

After leaving the building the shop jittered and rattled it shrank in stages until it disappeared with a pop.

Dust caught in a wind that blew from the length of the undubbed street, it built up strength gathering more particles and roared as it neared.

Maxwell cursed, pulled his hood over his head and wrapped his cape about himself.

She stumbled a step, he was saying something, but the winds ripped the words away.

She covered her face and turned the other way.

The wind lowered to a calm murmur as it brushed over her hands.

A faint scent stretched off in the distance, brimstone and underneath this a somewhat refined spiciness.

Maxwell gently touched her arm, and a dark emotion flickered past, the usual demented aura smoothed, then the wall went up again.

She smacked the hand away.

"Why so surprised? I did say earlier I'd act better now."

She held back a snort. "And holding my friends hostage is better, how?"

He pursed his lips.

He took on the face of someone who'd just eaten a particularly nasty bite of bitter bufle berries.

"I'll make you believe me. I'll even give you a choice this time."

"Oh?"

"Travel by portal or horseback, with the second option we'll have to walk on foot until we find some of course. See? I can be benevolent with you." A somewhat stiff smile cracked on the edges of his lips.

"Maybe in your world, not mine." I know he's up to something.

"You'll see. Now choose." He paused. "Please."

This had to be a farce, am I to be expected to fall for this? Have to see how this plays out. Walking and riding the horses will give me time to figure a way out of this mess.

"Horseback. Let's get this over with."

"Right away, madam." He bowed stiffly with a flippant rolling hand wave. His expression hardened and the ends of his eyes became pinched.

She hissed through her teeth. How dare he!

They walked a ways, he took several turns and retraced his tracks before finally taking an empty street.

He turned towards her on rounding the corner. His upper lip twitched. "Hurry up."

She followed. Merryn dragged both feet on the ground like an iron plow. Need more time to think. Gah! She hugged herself tight with one arm and dug her fingers into the shirt sleeve wadding it into a ball.

Behind a soft click.

Soon followed by a thump, and a crash of an object breaking.

Maxwell didn't seem to notice, he kept walking.

Footsteps padded close behind, and soft controlled breathing.

Don't turn around, don't turn around, maybe just maybe... a guard or somebody is after him.

Her fists clenched, and she fought to let them loosen and hang naturally as she walked.

Maxwell started to turn but rose onto the tips of his boots, he flailed his arms. He turned his head. "If you're somehow doing this, I'll make sure to keep my end of the bargain." he took a handkerchief from a pouch and it dropped to the ground.

"I can't do that." She held her palm up. "Because, I'm not doing this."

He huffed. "I never thought of you as a liar. That's a shame. It truly is." He hovered just above the street. "Last chance, undo this now!"

Again the footsteps from behind they hurried along. The ground vibrated some.

She scowled and twisted to the side, then broke into a grin. That's really impressive of her.

"I have too many questions to ask—but mainly I'm glad you're here."

Opial nodded curtly, then turned her attention to Maxwell. In two strides she stretched all if her 5'5 frame and stood on the pads of her feet, and still only reached up to his chin.

He tilted his head and looked down at her. "You, spiteful shew, mind your own business."

She lifted her arm and leveled her closed fingers near in his face. "Mind my own business you say? I was very well minding it until you tied up my Captain and the others and threw him in your holding cell! Our Jito was far to lenient with you!"

When Opial said Jito she also heard Magistrate, the bracelet seemed to be malfunctioning, I'll have to have it looked at.

Maxwell spun his staff, water poured out and made a puddle on the street.

Merryn yelped and jumped away. "Back away! I wouldn't touch that."

Opial sidestepped almost right onto Merryn's hip, and bumped her. "Sorry. What to do with him?"

Merryn created a little more space. "You're forgetting something." She whispered in her ear.

Opial coughed and looked away. "Of course." She flicked her hands by the wrists and Maxwell, now far above became a blur as he raced over the rooftops out of sight.

Opial lead the way back to the holding cell.

"How'd you manage to not be trapped?" Merryn's stomach growled, and her mouth watered as she passed by several open air carts cooking assorted foods on enhanced heat stones, some fish so fatty and rich they sizzled on them. Looks like more people survived then I thought. Wonderful! But if I have to go near one more food cart I'm going to go mad.

A thin adorable child with sweet sparking eyes, much like Parcival's. Her long black silky hair loose down her back. Her very tidy but bland clothing was clean and well-kept. She shook out a rolled up mat and set it down, then ran back inside and brought out several grilled fish on platters and an assortment of unknown vegetables. She didn't even have to say a word people immediately group by and bought most of the food.

Opial stopped. "Her, mother was friends with everyone around here, she repaired their clothing, ran errands for the elderly and when several mages died in the last battle came back to help." She nodded her head over at the child. "You're hungry right? I could hear it. Go eat, I'll wait."

Merryn bought several grilled fish, and a bowl of some clear broth soup.

The child bowed and sat on the mat.

Back with Opial they both wandered over to a mini garden that graced the middle of the street. Several others were also there eating. They both sat under a small tree.

She turned her head. "Her mother didn't make it. A miss shot spell killed her." Shaking now she blinked away tears. "The people here take care of her, she'll need for nothing. It's the least we can do."

Merryn's throat pinched, and she set down the fish over the bowl. "How long have you been holding this in?"

0