❧ Chapter 34: A Gordian’s knot ❧
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Parcival quickly explained about manners and social etiquette. He breathed out a slow breath and fiddled with the emblem on his jerkin.

I've never seen him this nervous.

"—watch your tone or it'll come off as insulting. Also, don't hold eye contact for long as it's rude." He laid his hands on his lap, then moved them to his side.

"I see." Merryn nodded. Sort of—having it being pounded into my head with a metaphorical stick not to interrupt—even with small comments will be a challenge.

Hushed and clipped tones of greetings followed by the soft padding of feet in thick stockings.

Merryn angled to the side towards the door a little. Individually six elegant elders entered—assuming each was an elder. All but one wore soft kimonos. Most were older except for the younger man, who wore nothing but a overly large for his frame plain white kimono. He bowed to everyone, and sent to stand between the door and the wall.

Han's ears flattened to his furry skull, and he backed away from the doorway, settling down closer to Parcival next to Raimo.

Parcival, bowed where he sat low to the ground as did the others, Merryn copied them.

"Calm, yourselves." Ayeka her voice far too cheery and dripped with a sweetness, the tone implied anything but. Her relaxed faint smile felt slapped on like it was sewn in place.

She sat for a breath or two. "I was thinking, that it would be, prudent not to waste such lives," she paused and raised her chin, "Parcival, will be fined the modest fine of three thousand opals, for bringing the outsiders here. He can leave it here, and we'll collect it later."

She caught Merryn's attention then Han's with a flick of her palm toward both. "Your name?"

Merryn loosened her grip on her legs, sat up and bowed with her head touching the floor. "Merryn." She clamped her jaw and suppressed a mutter.

"Han." He kept his gaze on her chin.

Ayeka faced everyone again. "Merryn and Han will help move the dead to the city tombs, and repair city damages."

She took in a breath and waited.

Why's she looking at me like that? She tried not to squirm. Oh, maybe...

"I understand."

"And next time Parcival when bringing visitors they'll need a permit. You know this."

"Yes."

Ayeka's voice turned deeper. "Reports that you are in need of an exorcism. If this is true, have it done soon, I don't give second chances."

Parcival nodded. "Yes."

A male elder stepped forward, bowed to her and stood.

She gave the slightest of nods.

He took out a tasteful black and gold unadorned folded fan from the dark blue sash, and glanced at the side facing him before raising his head. He leaned over slightly, "I am Than. Before me, some of the towns best warriors, now you are disgraced. What will you two do to erase this?" His eyes flicked from Parcival, Beeka and Opial. "Consider yourselves blessed that we're too small to have a Daimyô."

The bracelets spell kicked in and changed the words to baron/warlord. It seemed to work better with whoever I talked to the most.

"Without question both outsiders deserve to be hanged." The corners of Ayeka's eyes tightened, and all humor drained away.

Merryn held in a breath, and she gripped her hands into the smooth jerkin fabric tight enough to hurt. This was it. Oh, cherished Elaema I tried, we tried...

"But. We'll this one time be generous. I think, as Parcival is responsible for bringing you here, then he instead will shoulder the majority of this shame. Like children both outsiders knew not of our laws."

Ayeka faced her. "Where do you hail from, dear?"

Parcival stiffened.

She let the breath. Her head swam as she bowed. "Dentree, it's to the northwest on the isle of Ladepth."

"I've heard of such a land. Are your people likely to be friend or foe?"

How am I to answer this, without causing trouble? She nearly rubbed her arm but instead let her sight fall. "I cannot answer for them all, just myself. I'm no threat." As long as unnamed sleeps, there'll be no problem.

"The Elvin seldom come here, some of us think of you only a myth. What reason do I have to believe you, after all that's transpired?

"You Don't. Only those who know me and seen what happened can deem me guilty or not. Let them decide."

Parcival's lips turned taunt and he stilled.

Perhaps I was too honest?

Ayeka's jaw piped open and her eyes widened into mini moons. She covered her mouth and gently laughed. The other elders halfheartedly joined in.

"If you had said a lie, Then would've dispatched you." Her lips twisted and the edges quirked. "

Than's eyes held a sharp gleam. He clasped his hands together, then opened them. A tiny skull hovered in his hands, its empty eye sockets glowed with a faint light. He clasped them again, it vanished and let his hands relax to his side.

"I still think she should not be trusted fully, given that she's an elven. She can't even be bothered to wear more appropriate armor," Than said.

Parcival eyebrows wrinkled, and immediately he smoothed them away.

Ayeka arms reached out toward Raimo her hand moved with a limp wrist, and waved toward herself flapping her hand back and forth.

Goodbye?

Raimo stood up fast, went over and sat next to her.

"After the tasks are done, oversee the exorcism. I expect her healthy and purified by the next month."

"As you wish, Ayeka-san." Raimo bowed.

"That what has been said should be weighed carefully." Than got up and stood by Ayeka.

"You have two days." Ayeka stood, nodded to all and left, the others followed.

The familiar creeping sensation inside her head started up again. She didn't answer Unnamed. He caused much of this, the Calcines were drawn to him. I suppose he can't help it though. She shook her head. No. He's evil can't ever forget that. I should have told Parcival no. A tomb, tombs mean tight dark spaces. She trembled. Maybe if I have a drunk first... no that'll cause more problems. Are they all angry at me now? I don't blame them. Should I tell them about the city? Not now, people can only take so much.

Parcival cleared his throat. "Somehow..."

Merryn stretched and rolled her shoulders, every muscle tense as if that horrible hour had settled in them; a memory of what wasn't said but felt all too keenly.

"Well...." Han went to her and stared at the floor.

Parcival stood then bowed to his father. "Take care."

He bent his head over a shoulder. "I think we can pull this off."

"Let's head out." She stood as well, bowed to Raimo, and coasted open the door. "Raimo...

"You better get going, time runs short."

#####

They left and went back to the temple she wrapped the cape around her and clasped it, the chill faded some.

"Opial, will you come with us? It's our fault you're in this mess. You can go back home while we do the tasks, if you like." Parcival's voice wavered over the words.

Opial sighed and rolled her eyes. "Captain, you really think I'm just going to sit back and not do anything?"

"I think, I'll be alright if we work fast." Merryn scuffled a foot on the grass. The faster this is done, the faster I can find Maxwell. Opial might have caught him off guard, but he doesn't give up that easy.

Beeka chimed in, "Apparently they didn't know about my abilities—or choose to ignore my part in this—so after the exorcism I'm staying here. I can't leave, the people need me, nobody else is trained enough yet."

I had hoped he'd come along too, it hadn't taken long to accustomed to having him around. "Yes, of course you have your dutys here." Merryn crossed her arms.

Maybe I can visit again someday; will we all end up going our separate ways? Somehow going home didn't—she pushed the selfish thoughts away. Complete the mission, that's all that matters; if the god escapes then he'll likely kill the elder adepts. She squashed the next thought down. It won't happen, I will not fail, not with this.

Near the side of the road, a flock of sparrows landed. Some said they gave luck, we need more of that for sure. Frost covered the grass that flaked off as the birds touched it. It's almost winter, and they still haven't contacted me, I'd better send an inquiry.

Han still looked at the ground, he stayed close to Parcival. He took out the pipe, lit it, and smoked.

She wrinkled her nose. An image of her tossing the bag of tobacco into a back street bounced before her mind.

Han spoke his voice hushed, "I want to help too, I owe that much."

An instant heat blazed across her face. "By the goddess, I should forgive you but can't bring myself to just yet. Quit bringing it up." If he'd stop talking about it for a while, I could try.

Han's ears and whiskers drooped, but he tilted his face up and didn't look away. "Look, I know I chose poorly, but you see—" He sniffed. "—my hometown wouldn't be able to pay the kings taxes, and would have to go without food, clothing, and medical herbs." He straightened. "I won't let them down!"

He puffed on his pipe furiously, the smoke coming out faster now.

She cringed. "Should have said something. I'm willing to help." The heat faded away and she held out a hand. I think he's being sincere. He better be.

Han hesitated before clasping his paw-hand in hers.

Opial squinted at him. "Humph!

Parcival bent down to Han's hight and balanced on the balls of his feet. "Come here."

Han went over to him. "Okay..."

Parcival tilted his head and was quiet, as if lost in thought. "Don't assume I'm ignorant and easy fooled. I'm still not sure if I'm going to believe you." Parcival reached out and pulled him into a hug. "But, I don't think you ment for what happened to happen, did you?"

Han sniffed and rubbed his nose. "I was desperate..."

Parcival let loose of him. "Yes well, these things happen."

Well, if Parcival willing to try...

"Hey... Merryn..., I..." Han tapped the pipe emptying it and put it away.

Who am I to judge him so harshly, after what I've done? "It's fine. Let's go, I want to get this over with." She faced Parcival. "Any idea were to go to start the repairs?"

"It's at back at the docks the warehouse for the cities lumber is all there."

"Ah."

Beeka motioned her over. "If you and Parcival will come with me, we'll start." He scowled. "At best this won't do anything."

He led them further into the temple grounds and though a back gate that lead into a thick hulking forest. A few were familiar like the beech and tall cedar.

"A little further, it's a quiet place. I wanted to take you out of the city in case there's a bad reaction."

Then over a thin stream. She slipped on the moss-covered rocks that jutted out of the bubbling waters, soak her boots she shook her feet after stepping on the bank.

So many days that have passed without the call of the great forests, this wasn't the same as the life energy back home. Here it was dense, and far older almost holly. It warmed and sparked across her arms.

She watched the others they didn't seem to react to it. Was it normal, or could they not sense it? The hair on her arms raised, she smoothed it back down.

A cute red fox poked its nose out from behind a huge tree and scampered off its two tails bouncing. She blinked.

She tugged on Parcival's sleeve. "Hey, oh—did you see it?"

"Ask me later, keep going." He tugged his sleeve away, and caught up with Beeka.

A path between two identical trees lead into a separate area, the trees gave way to a lush expanse of soft tall grasses—no wait—millet of some kind and past this a little shrine next to a humble building, the arched roof unadorned, its wood faded to gray. Later, inside its one room while small was warm. Two heat stones pulsed their swirls of engraved flames glowed of fire.

Once inside Beeka had her sit in the middle of the room on the mat, Parcival a few feet away in front.

Parcival knelt down his features impassive.

Beeka circled around her then stayed on her left side. "This is about right, Northwest is lucky this year." He bowed. "Please pardon this may become uncomfortable."

With slow grace his gestures turned on themselves overlapping as many hands that turned back into one. He stopped turn his wrists outward and started again, then his hands streaked over her head as one.

He closed his eyes. "May those made afraid cease to be so, and may those bound be free. Cast away oh, great spirit let go of this woman and be at peace!"

A warm breeze played with her hair, it fell covering an eye.

Before she could brush it away, Beeka grabbed her arm. "Don't move." He turned this way and that. "Is the spirit still angered?"

The edges of her lips quirked. "That depends on your point of view... and it's not a spirit." Didn't I tell him yet? It's hard to remember.

-------

My readers thank you!🌹

I hope you enjoyed the story so far and that it took you out of your day and it's troubles, even if only for a little while. 

–Jess


0