[Chapter 1] Well That Sucks
87 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Here I was, on the misty clouds of heaven, watching a panicking angel sort through papers and type stuff on his computer monitor. He had white hair, a perfect face of what I imagined, and the clothing of an ancient Greek. It would've been cool to see if I hadn't just been killed a few minutes ago.

Let's see what happened before I got into this situation. 

I was a scientist, a sophomore in college, and a business owner with bases in Japan and the Americas. I had a really good time, inventing things and doing what I liked best. Although my daily life was filled with paperwork, I still had time to do what I liked, like going to the firing range or exploding a pound of C4 in the plains (legally). I was born in the Americas, but after my high school days I moved to Japan to make another base. Due to my superior mind (I'm joking), I managed to make a prototype brain implant that allowed me to speak and understand any language just by listening to it. Kind of like instant knowledge, so I didn't have to learn another language.

Then one day I was walking down the street of a Japanese suburban area. Suburban areas are the best. You can walk carefree, while listening to hype upbeat music. Anyways, I saw these two teenage girls walking across a crosswalk of a big intersection. The signal was on for our time to go, so I walked with them. I looked to the right. A big U-Haul truck was coming our way. It wasn't stopping.

Figuring out what was going to happen, I quickly stuffed my phone and earphones into my pocket and ran forward. If I was right, the trajectory of the truck was headed towards one of the girls, who at this time, was absentmindedly looking at her phone.

I screamed, "look out!" and pushed the girl out of the way, just in time for the truck to now be targeted on me.

Now, my life wasn't going down easily. I've seen way too many cliche isekais to know that every main character saves a pedestrian and gets hit by a truck. Not on my watch will my life follow the same pattern! So I did what any rational person would do in that situation.

I attempted to limbo underneath the truck. And it worked.

I was sprawled on the ground, watching as the truck flew over my head. As I stood up, quite shaken up by astonishment and achievement, I looked towards the girls. The girl I pushed had a look of shock. The other school girl walking with her was frozen, hands over her mouth. Hey, my achievement could've at least been more gratifying.

I got up and dusted off my lab coat and slacks, before stooping down to pick up the phone that had fallen out of my pocket. I thought the fiasco was over. It wasn't.

Without a moment to lose, the tire of a motorcycle slammed into my spine, giving me a jolt and the worst pain in my life. I was flung ten meters into the busy intersection, as all crossing vehicles careened to the side and crashed with other cars. There was blood everywhere. My back was in pieces. The girl who I had saved was calling the police. Fires were burning from crashed vehicles. My consciousness began to fade.

But then I woke up staring up at an angel's face. I wasn't on the street bleeding out anymore. I was up on the clouds, somehow being supported. Were clouds supposed to be sturdy? I guess not. 

I looked to the right. Why was the girl I saved here too?

The angel paced around the white clouds before sitting down at a wooden desk. The girl was definitely a Japanese National, a school girl still wearing a track jacket in fact. She seemed relatively quiet for someone her size. And I'm not talking about her breasts. 

"Hello you two," said the angel. "My name is Tenis. You may be wondering why you're here. It seems like you have died with so much left to do, and your soul is not willing to go down without a fight. Although, the girl was supposed to die but you weren't," pointing at me.

"Uhh... What do you mean I wasn't supposed to die. I just saved this girl from a vehicle accident and dodged it myself, only to die to irony. Speaking of which," I asked, "Why is she up here anyways?"

"Oh, that." said Tenis. "You see, the upper angels has this sort of thing where they send people who die to other worlds if their soul and will are still strong, but sometimes they target specific alive people with strong wills to forcefully kill and send to another world." He scraped his head. "It's sort of a d*ck move, but it helps keep the world from advancing to quickly." He sipped on a cup of tea.

"As you can see, I was ordered to take out the girl with a truck, the vehicle that almost all reincarnaters meet their demise. I did just that, but someone had to push the target out of the way. But when you were in front of the truck instead of her, I thought I still had a chance to keep my position. I sure was surprised when you matrix slid underneath it!"

He laughed. Both of us nervously laughed with him. Who knew these so called upper angels were essentially population cutting hitmen?

"Anyways," Tenis resumed, "I saw you slide underneath that truck, something no one has ever done before. I was in a panic, of course, and ordered a motorcycle to quickly destroy you. After that chaos, I ordered a crane to drop its contents and finish the intentional job. Do you understand?"

The quiet girl piped up. "Excuse me, but are we actually going to another world? Just like the manga and novels I've read about?"

Tenis clapped his hands. "Exactly! You will both be going down together! And I know you'll like it, because it has everything you'd ever want! Do you want to play around with magic and fight giant dragons and possibly save the world? You can do just that! Wouldn't that be so incredibly fun!"

The girl's face brightly lit up. "Oh that would be awesome! It's something I always dreamed of! This is going to be so much fun! Especially with magic! Don't you think so too... uh... what's your name?"

"Seven. Listen Tenis," I said. "Am I really going to another world? And based on novels and the stuff I have seen, don't we start off with some stuff right off the bat?"

"Ah, yes you do. In fact, I looked through your personality, your lifestyle, and your belongings. Speaking of belongings..." He opened a drawer and took out... hey wait, that's my pistol!

I checked my pockets. They were indeed empty. All the stuff I had put into my lab coat pockets were missing. "I had so much stuff in there. I had blueprints, a notebook of stuff I can't mention, and-"

"A phone full of 118 re-read anime manga?" Tenis interrupted. "Sorry, I just had to check. You're knowledgeable in both science and 'literature'."

By this time, I was a sad heap, rolling on the floor. I didn't want any more secrets to go out.

"Anyways, it's best for both of you to know each other a little bit, so here are both your stats," said Tenis, before he through up some holographic text.

 

================================================================================================

<Seven Huang> <20 years old> <Male>

<Technology Enthusiast:> Any technology involving some sort of weaponry or efficiency gets him/her excited.

<Cooking Enthusiast:> Loves to cook new and exciting things.

<Innovator:> Likes inventing new things.

<Medieval Magic Distaste:> Dislikes using magic that looks medieval, for instance, swords and arrows. Will generally accept more modern looking magic or magic that is deemed more convenient.

<Scientist:> Uses science.

<Show-off:> A great way to gain attention but doing it too much is a hubris and eventually causes trouble. Causes paranoia.

<Paranoia:> Makes the person wary and troubled in trivial situations, and any attempt to hide something is done in extreme detail. Lowers showing off. Will usually carry a hidden weapon. Causes more paranoia.

<Gunslinger:> Uses guns. A lot.

<Airhead:> Can be kind of stupid sometimes.

<American Nationality:> Once lived in America, has American culture.

================================================================================================

<Yuki Sakura> <17 years old> <Female>

<Anime Enthusiast:> Reader of manga, comics, and other anime literature. Based on your current situation, probably the best source of information in a fantasy world.

<Introvert:> Tries not to attract attention.

<Magic Enthusiast:> Heavily interested in magic. Any sort of magic gets him/her excited.

<Mediator:> Surprisingly good with words. Good in tense situations. Lowers paranoia in team members.

<Magic Trigger-happy:> May use magic to the point of exhaustion.

<Forethought:> Can be not very stupid sometimes.

<Japanese Nationality:> Lives in Japan, has Japanese culture.

================================================================================================

 

I glanced through all the information. All the stuff on my bio was actually true, not going to lie. But at the same time, Yuki's skills were also quite useful, especially with the 'paranoia' problem.

"I hope we're all set, because I'm sending you down there in thirty seconds." said Tenis. "Oh, if you have any qualms to ask about, you can just ask for guidance in your head and I'll be happy to answer them! Toodles!"

"Wait, what?" I stammered.

It was too late. A gust of wind blew us both off the edge of the clouds, into a cloudy wormhole.

"Tenis, you son of a biiiiiiii-"

And we were gone.

2