Fourth Chapter: ‘Lion consumes the Tiger, but it still remains’
77 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fourth Chapter: ‘Lion consumes the Tiger, but it still remains’

The librarian sat at their desk, as they had done for years now. They had no idea how long they had been here, but they knew it had been nearly ten years since the last prophecy request.

Time was always weird in this dimension.

Thousands of guests could appear within a short period of time, while at other times there were massive gaps between each one. There was no way to know what it would be though.

Then during their eternal wait, another prophecy had finally come true.

“Let’s see, oh, it’s the child with the movie theatre style prophecy.”


The boy didn’t have a happy ending.

 

Alex was an abandoned orphan, whose life in the orphanage was anything close to kind.

 

While his heart may’ve been kind, most of those around him were not. He was bullied by other orphans and the caregivers.

 

He did have one friend there, Catherine. Who as he grew up, he fell in love with. 

 

Through his kindness, he went to reconnect with the parents he found out were alive.

 

But that’s when his life went downhill.

 

After years of communication, trying to be a better person, and growing up to a point where he could be proud of himself, and hopefully, his folks could be happy for him too.

 

They betrayed him.

 

For money.

 

In an event that involved the death of Catherine who his parents sold for cash.

 

He finally broke, his mind and morals shattered

 

And the first thing he did was murder the two who stole the love of his life from him.


“Another sad one.” The librarian understood that most prophecies were tragedies or disasters. It was a painful truth of the world that provided them much grief.

As the librarian placed down the boy’s book, a person walked through the front door.

“Hello, librarian.” An old man wearing a stereotypical wizard getup, a tall hat and a cloak. 

The librarian replied. “I see you haven’t changed.”

“I’m always changing.” The wizard in a magical cone of energy transformed into a young man with blond hair and eyes in a fancy multiple-layered suit of gold and blues. Medals adorn it, but they were simple things like being best dad, or first place in a local fishing event. 

This person was the only person the librarian would consider a friend. Thanks to him they had a physical form when there were no guests around and they didn’t have to suffer in the void.

“I’m here for a prophecy for Elbert. The magical energy from the portal should help you find the right one.”

The librarian asked, “No small talk?”

“Not today, I’m quite busy.”

“Okay.” The librarian shrugged, “Did you ask them first?”

“Yes, three times always.”

“Thank you.” The librarian sighed. “Here you go, and he passed the scroll that teleported into their hand to his guest.


Trouble Terrifying Tiger.

 

Will cause devastation to all.

 

Loyal Leading Lion.

 

Will stop the problem at its source.

 

Safe Sound Safety Sheltered.

 

Lion consumed the Tiger, but it still remains.


The wizard laughed, “Mwha Mwha Mwha, a simple but funny one. I do appreciate it when I get ones like this.”

“Are you going to explain it?”

“You’ll see it later.”

“And? I usually get some information before that happens.”

“Fair enough.” The wizard fixed the glasses that suddenly appeared on his face. “It’s a simple tale about the king and another powerful family, and honestly that’s all I have to say. You could probably piece together the rest.”

“True, but I can see two ways it could go. Which one’s the king, and which one is the noble family?”

“Of course, the Lion has to be the king.” The wizard smiled.

“And it wouldn’t be the first time you have lied to me. Every world is different after all.”

The librarian always knew that without further detail a prophecy could have a thousand different interpretations.

“Anyway, I’m off.” The wizard waved, then bowed. Without giving an answer.

“Fine, okay, see you next time.” The librarian was annoyed but knew he couldn’t keep him around. Time was a fickle thing after all. 

The wizard left through the front door, and the librarian was alone again.

“I wish they stayed for a while longer.”

I wish I finished this earlier, but I found out that three chapters a week is my writing limit, and that's the amount I write for my other stories. So, was very hard to find time to write this (part of the reason it is so much shorter than the others). 

I do kind of regret the style I have chosen for this short story, writing it all at once then uploaded would've been better, but say that, I wouldn't know that without trying it, so it has been a good learning experience. 

Also, the next chapter should be sooner. Mostly thanks to Easter giving me time to write.

5