First Chapter: ‘Don’t lose sight of what to protect’
96 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A golden door patterned with silver markings opened, and from it, a young man with long white walked out.

Once the door closed, he stood in awe and wondered as he saw the massive golden staircase that stretched far into the distance.

After minutes of nothing he finally worked up the courage to climb the staircase.

They were being held by nothing and he was surrounded by nothing but a blue space filled with stars.

The man came here for one mission. And by the looks of the place around him, he was in the correct location.

In time that felt as if eternity had passed but simultaneously only a second, the man had reached the top of the staircase.

At the top was a large golden pool with a large silver fish that swam around in perfect circles that didn’t disturb the golden water. 

The scene was awe-inspiring, however, what floated above the centre of the pool was what gave him the most shock, awe, and delight.

It wasn’t human that was for sure. No legs but six arms without fingers, a face with no features 

“Is the pond of God's envoy?”

“It is what you think, but also not.” The figure spoke in a refined tone, truly a royal being! The man felt as if everything we worked towards was correct. And that this being had been anticipating him. God’s envoy knew everything after all.

However, truthfully the only feeling felt was exhaustion, due to the performance that was forced upon it. 

The man worked up the courage to ask, “Can I… learn about the future of my world?”

“Must you?” It spoke with no mouth, but its words were so clear the man felt they were being injected into his ears.

“...Yes…”

“I wouldn’t recommend it, it never does any good.”

“...That’s for me to decide.”

With each question, he grew in confidence. This was just the final test before achieved his goal after all.

“I will ask you one final time, are you sure?”

“Yes.”

The figure wanted to shake its head and sigh, but it didn’t have the ability to.

Golden light shone from the pond and words of silver floated up to the surface of the water.

The golden figure groaned, “Not another vague one…”

The man didn’t hear this groan, instead just the singing of a choir of nature’s animals, then the being read out what was written in the pond.



When the light is stolen, the world will fall.

 

Panic will ensue, caused by the one who thought they were above all. 

 

When Hope is at its worst, it dies a lonely death.

 

Only once its corpse is respected, will life have a new breath.



“...What’s that supposed to mean…” The man was perplexed, it wasn’t exactly what he wanted, but the clear ominous message did at least spell out that this world would be facing harsh times.

He demanded a clearer answer as respectfully as he could, “...Can you explain it to me?”

“I… am limited in my ability to convey its message to you.” The figure paused before speaking, but to the man, it just sounded as if the Being sang for a moment.

“Please, anything.”

The being sighed a silent sigh for one final time, “It’s a prophecy of destruction, it is the fate of your world. But, it's your choice to listen to it, I would recommend ignoring it, as that will provide the path to the best future.”

The man closed his eyes in silence and thought about the prophecy.

After ten minutes he knew what he had to do.

“Thank you, I now shall depart before I’m lost in this world forever.” The man prayed to the being one final time before starting to run down the stairs.

The man could feel his time was running out and knew he had to return home before he was lost forever.

As the man left, the world began to morph, with the being having only one thought. It hated encounters like this. A perceived perception that they would know all meant they were forcefully injected with all the knowledge of that world's current state. Sadly it was a common occurrence.


The world that the librarian saw its most recent guest was a strange one but not that unordinary compared to the numerous worlds it had seen through its work. 

 

Society thrived, there were enough resources for all, and people were at peace.

 

What brought about this peace, however, was a single cow.

 

Said to be a gift from God, as long as this cow lived its eternal life grazing on the fields humanity would know paradise.

 

Beast had tried to kill it before, but humanity had always successfully defended its Hope.

 

Now in modern times, the world of paradise continues to blossom. As new advancements led to more entertainment, expression, and creativity.

 

The librarian had seen situations like this before, some lasting only a brief moment while others held onto their mission till the end.


The world wrapped and snapped into another. The mythical staircase and the pond had vanished.

Instead, all that remained was a large library with a spiral staircase that went up and down infinitely.

Sitting down at the front desk was an ordinary man with unassuming features who released a sigh of relief that they had regained this form. Once again, the librarian was thankful for their friend's gift which allowed them to have a human form when there was no guest around.

But now that the librarian was alone again, it may be time to see what fate had in store for that world.

 

Welcome everyone, here is a new short story that will be updated slowly, not sure how many chapters total, but it supposed to be fun side project for me. Should be one~two chapters a month. Maybe more. Depends on time and motivation.

Chapter 2 is already out, I would give it a read to understand one of the gimmicks of this story.

3