Chapter 29 Looks Like I’m the Bait
39 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I finally made it back to the Royal Building as the sun finally disappeared behind a line of clouds in the west. It looked like rain was coming in and I didn’t have much daylight left. I pulled into a back lot and backed the car against the building. I hit the concrete with the chrome back bumper and heard the men inside calling out. My quick check showed the trunk wasn’t opening while parked against the wall, so I told them I’d return soon. As I walked into the building, I heard the distant peal of thunder.

Perfect timing, I thought.

Using the back stairs, I didn’t see anyone hanging around the hallway leading to my office. Still, I carefully walked in with my gun in my hand. The lights were on, so I called out to Alice. To my amazement, the door to my office opened, and I felt a brush of scented air pass me. Locking the door behind me, I asked about any messages. A piece of paper slid over her desk, and I saw Adele’s name. Then I smiled with a sense of relief washing over me. The same paper had O’Conner’s number on it as well. I ripped out part of the paper and wrote a number from my black book.

“Perfect, I’ll call Adele.” I checked my watch, frowning at the damage I just noticed.

At least it still runs, I thought as I put the watch near my ear. I did a quick calculation.

“Can you make a call to this number for me at this time?” I looked at the empty chair holding my secretary.

I handed her the paper with a message that I wanted Alice to tell the man who picked up the phone.

Adele sat in the chair by the window of the hotel room. She stared out at the dreary skies as the rain came down, thinking how appropriate the weather felt given her mood.

In one bed, Sally quietly slept on her side with her back to Adele. The phone rang, breaking the silence, and Adele hurried over between the beds to answer.

“Hello beautiful!”

Adele smiled when she heard her husband’s voice.

“How are you?” Her tone sounded worried and relieved.

“You know I’m just fine,” I told her while ignoring my body’s complaints. “As soon as I got back to the city, it stopped just like the first time. I’m sorry if I worried you. I feel terrible for not being able to stay with you.”

The silence on the line bothered me.

“Adele, how are you doing?” I heard a sniffle and realized how stupid my question sounded.

“I’m fine, honey. I’m so glad to hear from you. I was really worried about you. Did you have any problems?”

I told her a bit about my journey back, trying to keep from going too deep. For all I knew, Antonio might tap the phone line. That sudden thought gave me a chill.

“Now, don’t worry about me. I’m working on something to keep everyone safe. I can’t explain, since I’m on a time crunch here.”

“Don’t put yourself in danger,” she warned. “You still owe me a lot of time, remember?”

The tone of her voice remained light, but I knew she was forcing herself. Hell, I was doing the same thing.

“Come on, I’ve learned my lesson.” I paused, trying to think of more to say. Then, I diverted like I normally do.

“Say, how’s Sally doing? You won’t have a problem staying there for a few days, will you?”

“Oh, she’s sleeping,” Adele replied, stifling a sniff as tears formed. “We’ll be just fine. We decided to make it a girl’s vacation.”

“That’s a great idea.” I let out my own strained chuckle. “Don’t worry, it won’t be long, I promise. I gotta go, so please take care of yourself.”

I hung up before Adele could respond. Then I picked up the phone and called O’Conner.

~~~

Back at the Hotel Sequoia, Adele sat on the edge of her bed. Tears came down her cheeks as she silently cried with the handset still in her hand.

“Is your husband alright?” Sally’s voice came to her.

“I’m sorry for waking you...yes, it’s just like last time,” Adele retrieved a tissue from her purse. “I can’t understand how leaving town can do that to him. But he’s not even talking about it. I’m sure he didn’t even go to the doctor. He tells me he’s on a time crunch, whatever the hell that means.”

Sally rolled over and sat up to face her.

“You think he’s going to do something?”

Adele glanced up and nodded.

“Yes, I’m starting to understand him. I swear he says things, so I won’t worry. It just makes me angry when he thinks he’s so darn smart. Damn it, does he think I’m a fool?”

She gazed at Sally, her eyes searching for understanding.

“Lane’s going to do to something. I can sense it when he turns the conversation. All I want him to do is stay away from that gangster. Why won’t he listen?”

“It sounds to me like he’s got no choice,” Sally replied. “Do you think he’ll be safer trying to avoid that bastard? Antonio’s got people all over the town.”

“It’s not right,” Adele grew angry as she went quiet.

Sally came over to sit next to the upset woman after Adele dropped her head into her hands.

“Just like this afternoon, all I can do is wait for the phone call that tells me whether he’s alive or dead. Is that fixing our problems? How is that fair?” Adele mumbled from her hands. Sally put her arm over the woman’s shoulder, trying to blink out her own tears that came.

“Certainly, it’s not fair. How can you love someone who wants to be a hero?”

~~~

I pulled the La Salle in front of the park bench where O’Conner and Judge Seabury sat. O’Conner was there as a backup for my plans. The rain fell lightly as they held umbrellas over their heads. I got out of the car and came over to the bench, wishing I remembered to take along a rain jacket from my office.

“Tell me the truth, judge. Is the D.A. Winton honest?”

“Yes, I can attest to his integrity. That’s probably why you’ve not met with him at social gatherings,” the old gentlemen smirked.

I grinned.

“Well, I’m trying to get better. It also explains why Paul Hyde is running against him. Antonio wants control of the district attorney’s office.”

The judge nodded.

“That’s one peril of a democracy, I’m afraid.”

“Well, I’m giving you something that you can use as you need in the future. I’d like you to call Winton with a tip that will assure his re-election.”

Both men looked at me like I had escaped the mental asylum.

“I’m not nuts, well, at least not yet. In that car trunk, you will find two of Antonio’s men who ambushed me at my home. In an hour, Antonio and his men will be in a warehouse on 14th Street. They call it the old Mill Room. Are you familiar with the place?”

I looked at O’Conner who nodded.

“Yeah, it’s one of Antonio’s buildings. He used to haul bootleg out of there. But why would he go there?” the ex-copy eyebrows rose in curiosity.

“Oh, I forgot to mention that Antonio stores heroin there for his operations. He’s bringing it in for LA and San Francisco contacts that he recently gained.” I didn’t mention my black book told me this.

“I think the D.A. who puts him behind bars with that haul automatically wins the election,” I replied confidently.

O’Conner looked over at the car.

“The D.A. could also say that kidnapping and torture are illegal,” the big man said. “Also, how can you be sure those drugs are there? Antonio’s got spies everywhere.”

I rubbed the day’s growth of beard on my chin. It was a point that I missed.

“I’m not sure what you’re implying. The two in there I’m giving a ride to their boss. I’ve only given one a headache for those punches he did on me at the club.”

“Christ,” O’Conner couldn’t help grinning.

The judge told Shane not to encourage me.

“Well, I’m going to that building to make sure the drugs are there. So, if it’s not there, I’ll lure in Antonio with my presence. Hell, he’s wanting me dead according to my passengers, so I’m the perfect bait, aren’t I?”

O’Conner dropped his head and shook it while the judge looked at me with sorrow in his eyes.

“You’re insane, aren’t you?

“I’m sure that someone I know would agree with you,” I shrugged. “But if you got a better idea, I’m all ears.”

I waited, and finally, Seabury agreed he would make the call. I looked at my watch, which still ran despite the missing crystal from my train episode.

“Alright, one hour from right now,” I walked toward the car.

“Good luck, you idiot!” O’Conner called out.

“Oh, that reminds me.” I stopped and turned back. “I didn’t tell you that Adele Dagger and Sally Vaugh are staying in Sacramento at the Hotel Sequoia. If this goes wrong, make sure they leave the state. I don’t need a funeral.”

~~~

Judge Seabury looked sad after Lane Dagger drove away. O’Conner stood and watched the La Salle turn onto Peach Street.

“What’s the problem?” he asked.

“I’m afraid for that young man. He’s reckless, and he’s going against the rules.” The judge stood and strolled toward his car.

“Isn’t that what we need? I mean, Winton and you have tried to change things. I’d say it’s better to have allies on the good side,” O’Conner said as he followed.

The judge stopped and turned back to his friend.

“I’m afraid the one in charge won’t be as agreeable.”

 

Author's Note: A time of rest and reflection comes after Chapter 30 drops tomorrow which finishes the first arc. I hope you'll consider supporting the work. I'll be putting out the updated Chapters on Patreon to get 8-10 ahead for subscribers. Plus, I'll be putting up the illustrations of some of the main characters for subscribers as well.  

0