Volume 30 Chapter : 1
68 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Early Saturday morning, July 13th. More specifically, it is ten minutes to seven in the morning.

“Will you go to visit Honoka right after returning home?” - With a completely ordinary face and a completely ordinary voice, Tatsuya asked Miyuki, who was about to go to school.

“'Yes, as planned.”

In a different voice, but in exactly the same tone as usual, Miyuki answered, reincarnated by Lina's Parade into a girl with light brown hair and light brown eyes.

Yesterday, July 12, Minami was taken out of the country by the efforts of Minoru, who secured the support of the Parasites from the American army. Tatsuya's chase ended in failure.

But neither Tatsuya nor Miyuki became discouraged.

“Tatsuya, will you come too?” 

Lina asked Tatsuya, who had exactly the same face as Miyuki, and they differed only in the color of her hair and eyes.... Lina took her face as the basis for changing the appearance of Miyuki, so if we exclude the difference in colors, they were indistinguishable as two drops of water.

Lina also knew that Tatsuya could not return Minami.

However, Lina did not seem to worry about Tatsuya.

And not because I thought that Tatsuya didn’t care about yesterday’s failure.

Lina knew perfectly well that both Tatsuya and Miyuki were seriously injured mentally. 

However... neither Tatsuya nor Miyuki surrendered.

This Lina also knew.

“Yes, I'm going. Lina, are you going to go too?”

“Of course. Honoka is my girlfriend.”

"... If Tatsuya and Miyuki behave as if nothing had happened, then I will also maintain my usual behavior," thought Lina.

◊ ◊ ◊

Miyuki was forced to change her face with Lina's magic in order to avoid talking to reporters.

This week, Monday, July 8, Ichijou Masaki, with the help of the new Strategic class magic “Ocean Blast”, stopped the advance of the NSU fleet in the Sea of Japan.

By itself, this event went exactly as Tatsuya planned. However, Kichijouji Shinkurou's speech to reporters attacking the new hero greatly violated Tatsuya’s plans.

Overly honest Kichijouji told reporters the name of Tatsuya as the co-developer of Ocean Blast. And “thanks” to this, now not only Tatsuya, but also Miyuki has become the target of aggressive attempts by journalists to get information.

Fortunately, neither Tatsuya nor Miyuki have ever been surrounded by reporters and photographers.

The school still does not know that Tatsuya and Miyuki moved to the building in Tofu. 

According to the records, they still live in their private home that's owned by their father, Shiba Tatsurou, in Fuchu. As a result, the media is now mainly targeting that house.

Therefore, one could easily guess that reporters who could not get anything at home would decide to ambush them on the road from the station to the school. In fact, that's the way it was. Anticipating this, Tatsuya asked Lina to change Miyuki's appearance to another person.

Going to school with Lina, Miyuki left a little earlier, because the school needed some time to cancel the Parade. Removing magic in itself takes an instant, however, so that many students do not see the scene of a change in appearance, instead of the classroom, they first go into the school council room for a short while, where they canceled the transformation. That is why they came to school a little earlier than usual.

When Miyuki and Lina left, Tatsuya settled in the dining room. Despite the setbacks, he did not refuse to save Minami and the pursuit of Minoru. This morning, he should have gone to eliminate the consequences of his actions yesterday. But no matter what he began to do, he did not have time to finish the job.

"... Minami is heading east across the Pacific. The course remains unchanged..."

Sipping coffee brewed by a home automation system, he turned his "look" at Minami. 

He could easily track her Eidos.

"Minoru... noticed that I was' watching'. "

Minoru was supposed to be next to Minami. Tatsuya decided to follow this “connection” and tried to read Eidos Minoru. But before he could focus, the "image" of Minoru disappeared from his "field of vision."

"Kimon Tonko?"

Obviously, Tatsuya's “line of sight” was set aside with the help of Kimon Tonko Minoru. 

It seems that Minoru perfectly mastered the East Asian continental ancient magic, "inherited" from the ghost of Zhou Gongjin.

At this, Tatsuya interrupted the observation. Attached to Eidos Minami, the mark still remained, and Minoru was not particularly interested in finding Minoru.

Continuing such careful observation, it is likely that the ship carrying the Minami will beable to stop. However, a careless attack can hurt Minami herself. Even if you try to destroy only the engine, the ship in the end may just sink, which is completely unacceptable.

"It is too early..."

Thinking that it was time to get ready for the exit, Tatsuya finished his coffee. He was going to a meeting of the Master Clans. Although no formal attire was required, at least some formal attire was required . Officially, he was still a high school student, so his school uniform was suitable for this, but he decided to change into a suit. 

Having put the cup in the dishwasher (there was no need to press a button, since the sink started automatically when a sufficient amount of dirty dishes was reached), Tatsuya went to his room. His path ran past the living room.

And at that moment he was stopped by the sound of an incoming call on a videophone.

It was still only eight in the morning. The only reason for the call at such a time could only be an urgent matter. Or could this person call only at this time? If so, then it was impossible to remain indifferent.

Tatsuya went into the living room and pressed the call reception button.

Fujibayashi Kyouko in military uniform appeared on the wall display.

“Tatsuya-kun, good morning.” Sorry at such a time.

Fujibayashi spoke without hesitation from the videophone screen. This behavior indicated that she was not at all concerned about the fact that it was early morning.

- Good morning. Do you have an urgent matter? Tatsuya suddenly asked in a cold tone. 

He was not so inhospitable because his mood had deteriorated. This was a completely normal behavior for him.

“Not that this business was urgent...” mumbled Fujibayashi.

With a silent look at the camera, Tatsuya urged her to continue.

Fujibayashi's eyes nervously ran from side to side, and she spoke without looking Tatsuya in the eye.

“... I want to apologize for my father.” Tatsuya-kun, could you give me some of your time?

“Do you mean you want to meet and talk face to face?”

- Yes.

At that moment, Fujibayashi finally looked Tatsuya in the eye with determination on her face.

“My father’s deed is a betrayal, for which you don’t apologize through the camera and monitor".

Fujibayashi Kyouko's father, Fujibayashi Nagamasa yesterday fought with Tatsuya at the foot of Mount Fuji, in the Sea of Aokigahara Trees. He stood in the way of Tatsuya to thwart his pursuit and let Kudou Minoru escape. 

On the eve of Nagamasa, he promised to cooperate with Tatsuya in the capture of Minoru, so his act can no doubt be called a betrayal.

- Not necessary.

Tatsuya’s response was still indifferent and cold.

- But...

“I accepted an apology right now.” Nothing more is needed.

The tone of Tatsuya's voice seemed to say: "It is useless to object."

However, Fujibayashi has already opened her mouth to continue. However, Tatsuya's voice sounded before she could say anything.

“Instead, would you like to visit your father?” Do you know which hospital he is in?

Defeated by Tatsuya Fujibayashi Nagamasa, he was captured by Kuroba Mitsugu's subordinates and taken to the Yotsuba family-run hospital in Kofu. 

Now he is undergoing treatment there with limited freedom of movement.

- Yep. I heard from my mother.

“He was badly wounded, but not so much that you were refused a meeting.”

This "restriction of freedom" of Nagamasa did not mean that the Yotsuba family would interfere with his communication with the outside world. 

Last night, his family was told the name, address and telephone number of the hospital where he was lying.

-... Okay, I get it.

"First talk to the culprit of my problems, and only then come back." So Fujibayashi interpreted the words of Tatsuya.

- Once again, I sincerely apologize for this.

Tatsuya somehow understood that Fujibayashi misinterpreted his words, but did not correct her.

- Everything is fine. Bye, take care.

Having finished the conversation with words that can be called cynical, Tatsuya turned off the videophone.

◊ ◊ ◊

Lieutenant Colonel Kazama, who came to serve in his office as the commander of a separate magically equipped battalion of the 1-0-1 brigade, immediately left the office without even crouching. 

The reason for this was the message that he saw on the display of his desktop terminal.

And now he was standing in front of the table of the brigade commander 1-0-1, Lieutenant General Saeki.

- Yesterday, in the former Yamanashi Prefecture, in the vicinity of Mount Fuji and the lakes of Kawaguchi and Saiko, a person named Kudou Soushi appeared in a police investigation.

This was the first topic that Saeki raised right after the usual exchange of greetings.

A faint surprise appeared on Kazama's face.

“This person has the same name as the second son of the Kudou family.”

- This is it.

The surprise on Kazama's face became clearly distinguishable.

“But what did he do there?” The funeral of His Excellency Kudou is scheduled for tomorrow, so he should not have time for long trips.

As Kazama said, the funeral of Kudou Retsu, who was killed by Minoru (and officially died of an illness), will take place tomorrow on land belonging to the main house of the Kudou family. 

Undoubtedly, the ceremony will be attended by many guests in order to express their condolences. 

The family of the deceased should be busy with preparations not only today, but a few days before.

“Kudou Soushi seems to have joined the battle against Shiba Tatsuya to help Kudou Minoru escape.”

“Do you think the Kudou family is still connected to the Kudou Minoru?” Kazama's voice was already not just surprised, but shocked.

“This is only indirect evidence.”

Saeki was not particularly surprised at Kazama's shocked state, and only answered him in an indifferent tone.

“But since Kudou Soushi was interrogated by the police, does this mean that Tatsuya has not erased him?”

- Naturally. His Mist dispersion is secret magic. Abuse it to eliminate interference with the return of the servant - is not permissible.

At this point, Saeki's poker interface cracked. 

Her words meant the unilateral impositionof the point of view of the army. And this point of view did not coincide with Tatsuya's priorities. 

However, Kazama did not begin to point out this to her now.

- I think that to some extent he understands this...

Saeki sighed. 

“... The ball of fire that was observed last night in the Shonan area was caused by its Fog Dispersion.” There is no direct evidence for this, but my subordinates analyzed images from infrared cameras on a stratospheric platform, as a result of which such a conclusion was made.

- For the first time I hear about it.

This remark by Kazama expressed his dissatisfaction with the fact that this information did not reach him. 

Tatsuya, as the "special officer of Ooguro Ryuuya," is listed in a separate magically equipped battalion commanded by Kazama. 

It is reasonable that theinformation division of the division headquarters was responsible for the initial analysis,but Kazama believed that before making the final decision, he should ask his opinions as the battalion commander.

Saeki understood Kazama's feelings. It was quite expected.

- Our team will not protect Shiba Tatsuya from the consequences of yesterday’s illegal actions.

But she ignored Kazama's displeasure.

- His behavior has recently become completely unacceptable. If he thinks that he can do what he wants, because he is a magician of the Strategic class, then we should correct this error of his.

“In my opinion, Tatsuya has no such error in his thoughts...”

We now have a new Strategic class magician named Ichijou Masaki, and that means that Tatsuya "served his own"? Kazama did not say this out loud.

“By the way, if you say that Kudou Soushi helped Kudou Minoru escape, then that means... Kudou Minoru successfully escaped from the Tatsuya chase?”

“It seems that Kudou Minoru fled to the Pacific Ocean on a USNA Army transport ship, taking Sakurai Minami with him.”

“Does he have connections in the American army?”

“Obviously, the Parasites from the USNA Army helped him.”

The Japanese army managed to find out that the Parasites are building up their influence within the USNA army, making the Stars the center of their forces.

This was information that was available only to a part of the intelligence department and a small number of people in the leadership, but Saeki was able to get it through personal routes.

- Okay.

Saeki had not yet spoken about this Kazama, but he was not surprised at this.

Kazama’s reaction was unexpected for Saeki, but she did not ask him if he knew about it. 

Because she had a fear that then the conversation might turn to the question of her sources of information, which was undesirable.

“... Probably Shiba Tatsuya also knows how Kudou Minoru escaped.” And there is a possibility that he knows the place where he escaped.

“Tatsuya has that“ look. ” But what, in fact, is the problem?

“The transport ship that took Kudou Minoru aboard seems to be heading to the Northwest Hawaiian Islands.”

- Northwest Hawaiian Islands... Are you worried that Tatsuya might go to Midway Island?

- Right.

Saeki answered in the affirmative, not even trying to get away from the answer.

- Lieutenant Colonel. A separate magically equipped battalion should in no way help 

Shiba Tatsuya with an attack on Midway.

- I see. I will also bring this to the attention of my subordinates.

Seeing that Kazama was sympathetic, Saeki breathed a sigh of relief.

From the behavior of Saeki, Kazama concluded that she might fear that he might want to take part in such recklessness as an attack on the base of the American army. 

It was extremely undesirable for Kazama to be considered such a person who puts personal gain above national interests.

“Is that all for you?”

That is why in his words appeared a note of causticity. At that moment, Kazama no longer hid his discomfort.

- No. There is one more thing.

There was no concern in Saeki's voice about Kazama's hurt feelings. 

But the tone of her voice seemed somehow too calm.

- A decision was made to release the Australian magicians captured in March, Jasmine Williams and James J. Johnson.

“Will they be extradited to Australia?”

- Yes.

Kazama did not ask about the reasons for his release. If this was the decision of the government, then he did not want to incur trouble by asking unnecessary questions. 

According to official records, there are no Japanese soldiers held captive in Australia. 

However, there may be secret agents held in custody as criminals, and not as prisoners of war. 

Kazama himself also had some relation to illegal operations, but in fact he did not want to be involved in business with people engaged in similar work. 

“Lieutenant Colonel, I would like to entrust you with a mission to accompany these two.”

- To me?

But as soon as Saeki spoke about this, he immediately realized that the case of these two Australian agent magicians would concern him personally.

- This task will take only one day and will not become an obstacle in the management ofthe battalion.

“May I know the date and place?”

- Departure from our base on July 14 at 09:00. Transportation of these two to our base will be made today during the day.

- Tomorrow... And where do you want to accompany them? To Australia?

- To the island of Io. Extradition will be made there.

- That is, we just give them back?

“It will not be a prisoner of war exchange.” However...

Saeki paused and pulled a sealed letter from the table.

- Pass this on to the person in charge on the spot. Be sure to hand it in hand.

- Personally, let me clarify?

No name or address was written on the envelope. Therefore, the issue of Kazama was quite obvious.

Saeki's answer turned out to be unusual.

- Lieutenant Colonel, you know this person well both by name and in person.

Currently, only Saeki and Kazama were present in this office of the brigade commander.

This meant that he was a man whose name could not be spoken aloud even here.

- I understand you.

Kazama did not dig deeper.

◊ ◊ ◊

It was already ten o'clock in the morning when Tatsuya took off from his house in a small helicopter, the pilot of which, of course, was Hyougo. 

His flight destination was the Bay Hills Yokohama Tower. 

Today, at 10 a.m., the Conference of the Master Clans of the emergency convocation will begin, which will be held in the online conference hall of the Kanto Magic Association. Tatsuya was called to the conference as a witness.

“Saegusa-senpai, good morning.”

Tatsuya spoke to Mayumi, who was standing at the entrance to the conference room.

- Good, Tatsuya-kun. You are early.

Mayumi smiled broadly and went to meet Tatsuya.

“Senpai, are you here as the representative of Saegusa-dono?”

- No, what are you. I am an assistant to Juumonji-kun.

- That's what it is. Indeed, even Juumonji-senpai may not be able to focus on the 

conference if you need to manage the video conferencing system alone.

- Yes, assistance from outsiders is not prohibited.

For a moment, Mayumi's face seemed to darken. It seems that she knew that she would be the subject of discussion at today's meeting.

However, Mayumi quickly regained a friendly smile.

“Tatsuya-kun, would you like some tea over there?”

“But will the conference begin soon?”

“More than ten minutes.” Mayumi said and dragged Tatsuya to a special place reserved for tea parties.

Tatsuya knew that she was a woman with her special outlook on tea drinking. 

He was worried that in just ten minutes he couldn’t make tea of acceptable quality, but Mayumi was not so fanatical. She just got ice tea out of the refrigerator and set it in front of Tatsuya.

“Tatsuya-kun, I'm sorry I didn't help you last time.”

Mayumi started the conversation with an apology right after she put the glass in front of Tatsuya. 

She did not put anything superfluous, like syrup, milk or lemon, on the table. The lack of frills was probably due to a lack of time.

-... Are you talking about last month? But that evening, as a result, Minoru’s attack was repelled. I, on the contrary, should thank you.

Mayumi talked about that evening in late June, when Minoru attacked the hospital where Minami was lying. As Tatsuya said, Minoru couldn't kidnap Minami that evening.

“That time, the attack of Minoru-kun was repulsed by Juumonji-kun... But if we could then catch Minoru-kun...”

“I couldn't catch Minoru either.”

The atmosphere at the tea table has become heavy and sticky.

-... By the way, have you been going to school lately? - Completely changing her tone, Mayumi asked Tatsuya, apparently in order to get rid of her gloomy mood.

- I go. Sometimes.

Tatsuya did not lie. Even if you look only at the current week, on Wednesday he came to introduce Lin to Director Momoyama. 

In addition, the school resumed work only on Thursday. Tatsuya decided that the answer “I don’t go to school at all”, on the contrary, would be a lie.

But contrary to Tatsuya’s thoughts, Mayumi frowned when she heard his answer.

“But I know that Tatsuya-kun is freed from visiting... And why it happened, I also know...”

Mayumi looked at Tatsuya with concern in her gaze.

“So the situation is not going as Tatsuya-kun wanted...?” After all, they didn’t tell you that you should not go to school at all? Maybe then you'd better go there as often as possible? You only have six months left to be a high school student...

From the words of Mayumi, Tatsuya realized that she was worried about him. 

But it wasobvious that she was mistaken.

“I'm going to go to school as often as possible.”

And it was not an excuse, it was undoubtedly the true thoughts of Tatsuya. 

At the time when he first entered the First School, he probably did not like going there, but the present Tatsuya did not dislike school attendance. 

Rather, on the contrary, he already experienced some attachment to the First School. 

In addition to his personal preferences, Tatsuya was very curious about how Miyuki and Lina spend time together at school. 

For Miyuki, he simply (as usual) was worried, and concern for Lina was expressed by the thought "I hope she does not awaken something crazy." But the current situation simply did not leave him time to attend school.

-... That is, it was an unnecessary concern?

It is unlikely that Mayumi understood so much from Tatsuya's short answer. 

She probably sensed changes in his tone of voice and expression. 

The anxiety that caused her to frown, although it had not disappeared without a trace, was significantly reduced.

Three minutes before the meeting, Katsuto appeared. Such a parish was not considereda delay. 

Because the preliminary training was carried out by the staff of the Magic Association. 

An assistant was required only after the start of the conference.

Tatsuya and Mayumi entered the conference room after Katsuto.

The large display, divided into ten parts, was already attended by six people. 

Tatsuya with one slight bow greeted all of these people at the same time - heads of families from the Ten Master Clans. 

This behavior was not caused by the fact that he neglected the heads of other families. 

Neither Katsuto nor Mayumi also greeted each of them individually, but also only made one general bow (Mayumi gave a polite low bow, bent over in her belt).

Some time after Tatsuya, Katsuto and Mayumi entered, the head of the Yatsushiro family appeared on the display.

And at exactly ten o'clock the remaining three appeared on the display: Yotsuba Maya, Saegusa Koichi and Kudou Makoto.

- So, the time has come, and I declare the Conference of the Master Clans of the emergency convocation open.

Katsuto's announcement did not contain formal welcome words.

- I would immediately like to clarify one question. - 

Suddenly in a harsh tone, Ichijou Gouki, the head of the Ichijou family, spoke. “Is it true that Kudou Soushi-dono helped Kudou Minoru escape?”

- I will answer myself. It's true. - 

Without flinching in front of such an onslaught, Tatsuya answered. 

- Having turned into Kudou Minoru with the help of the Parade, Kudou Soushi-dono became a bait, and led me away. While I was chasing Soushi-dono, Minoru was retreating in the opposite direction.

- Kudou-dono. Are there any inaccuracies in Shiba-dono's words? - Asked Makoto Futatsugi Mai, the head of the Futatsugi family.

The Kudou family is currently not a member of the Ten Master Clans. 

Now they are one and the “Eighteen Replacement Families”, which are designed to duplicate the roles of the Ten Master Clans. 

Kudou Makoto was invited to the conference not as a party to be notified of the situation, but as a party to be interrogated.

- At first glance, everything is so, but I would call the expression "turned" inaccurate. 

Soushi became a bait not voluntarily. - Without hesitation, Makoto answered Mai's question.

“Do you mean that they manipulated him?”

“You mean that the Parasitic Minoru-kun controlled Soushi-dono as a puppet?”

Mutsuzuka Atsuko and Yatsushiro Raizou bombarded Makoto with questions one after another.

- Right. Soushi could not resist the magic of mental intervention merged with the Parasite Minoru.

If Soushi was present here, then he might have testified that they were not directly manipulated by magic. 

Soushi himself did not offer to help Minoru escape, but in fear of overwhelming power, he was forced to cooperate. 

However, pressure on Soushi was exerted not only by Minoru. It is true that Soushi was frightened by the power of Minoru, but it was Makoto who ordered him to become bait. Minoru did not use magic to manipulate Soushi’s thoughts.

“Can Minoru-kun use the magic of manipulating consciousness?” But in the data provided about him there was no such information.

- Probably, these are new abilities, studied after becoming a Parasite - Makoto's explanation was a deliberate lie. Minoru did not manipulate Soushi's magic and did not study the magic of manipulating consciousness. However, in Makoto’s voice, answering Shippou Takumi’s question, as before, there was no noticeable excitement.

“So you insist that Minoru-kun was manipulating Soushi-dono?”

This question was asked by Saegusa Koichi.

- Right.

Makoto's answer has not changed. Obviously, he was going to put all the blame on Minoru.

However, Koichi's questions did not end there.

- And since when?

-...What?

Makoto first showed signs of excitement.

“When exactly did Soushi-dono come under the influence of Minoru-kun manipulation?” I heard that the car used as bait was not rented or stolen, but belongedto the Kudou family. 

When exactly did Soushi-dono come under the influence of the magic of manipulation of consciousness, and when exactly did he take this car for use?

- It...

“Kudou-dono, have you noticed Soushi-dono's suspicious behavior?”

-... It is a shame to admit, but did not notice. - Makoto's tone of voice changed from painful to modest. His confident attitude cracked.

“It's pretty dangerous.”

Koichi said this not in a teasing, but rather serious tone.

- In what sense is it dangerous?

Ichijou Gouki wedged into the dialogue between Koichi and Makoto.

But Gouki, with his question, was not intended to help Makoto, who was in a quandary.

He only heard that Koichi was talking about danger, and wanted to know what exactly
was meant. 

- Kudou-dono did not notice that a member of his family was strongly influenced by the
Parasite. 

Koichi spoke in a fervent tone, as if he were just waiting for Gouki's question.

“Therefore, it is impossible to deny the likelihood that besides Soushi-dono, other
people who fall under the control of the Parasite are hiding among other family  members or among servants. 

Koichi's reasoning was rather strained. But it was impossible to deny them either.

Unless Makoto refuses the claim that Minoru was manipulated by Soushi.

- Kudou-dono. I believe that the fears of Saegusa-dono cannot be ignored. What do you
think? Futatsugi Mai turned to Makoto, trying to maintain a neutral position. 

-... Everything as he said. - 

Makoto was forced to admit Koichi's words. “I will check
everyone at home immediately.” 

“But it is not known who is under the control of the Parasite?” Kudou-dono, can you do
everything without help, alone? 

“Saegusa-dono, are you offering help?”

Koichi did not respond to a question by Makoto, but by Gouki. 

If Gouki had not
intervened, Makoto would have remained silent. 

“I’ve been thinking about this issue for a long time, and over the past year my family
has been looking for people who can use perception magic. I think it's time to use their  skills." Koichi’s enthusiasm for recruiting magicians of perception magic was based on  observing the very first Parasite incident last year. At least there was no lie in Koichi's  words regarding this point. 

In addition, Koichi's proposal was not based on good intentions.

“Then how about our family helping too?”

“No, there is no need.” We cannot ask for help from you, Yotsuba-dono, when you
already have problems with Minoru-kun and the USNA. 

Despite her surprise, Maya's offer was immediately rejected. This clearly proved that,
under the pretext of "investigation", Koichi plans to get the results of the work of the former Ninth Laboratory. 

- How about Kudou-dono and Saegusa-dono discuss this issue later directly with each
other? 

As if anticipating that sparks would begin to fly between Koichi and Maya, Katsuto
Intervened in the conversation. 

- Really. Juumonji-dono is right.

Gouki supported Katsuto’s initiative. 

- Good. Kudou-dono, give me some time after the conference?

- I'm not against.

When Makoto agreed to Koichi's terms, the atmosphere between those present
returned to normal. 

- Shiba-dono. Or should I call you Yotsuba-dono?

Shippou Takumi decided to move on to the next question and therefore turned to
Tatsuya. 

- Use Shiba, please.

Tatsuya answered so not because of a rebellious sense of individuality, but in order to be able to distinguish him from Maya during his conversion.

“Then, Shiba-dono.” Were you the one who last night near the coast east of Hiratsuki staged a shootout with a group of magicians who hijacked a helicopter from journalists?

- I was attacked from this helicopter, and I counterattacked with magic and destroyed them.

Tatsuya answered, correcting Shippou Takumi's wording a little.

- Yes, from the materials received it can be understood that the counterattack of Shiba dono was self-defense.

Takumi responded to Tatsuya's objection with agreement in his voice.

- You could understand who the opponents were?

“Maybe these were Kudou Minoru's accomplices?”

Questions followed from Itsuwa Isami and Mutsuzuka Atsuko.

“That I could not understand.” They had an East Asian appearance, but they had such distinctive features that I would not call them Japanese.

In fact, Erika heard from Toyama (Tooyama) Tsukasa the assumption that the enemy is Illegal MAP. However, Tatsuya could not know this information at the time of the battle yesterday, so he held the position that he did not know the attackers.

- I found out the origin of those guys. - As if rejecting Tatsuya's answer, Saegusa Koichi intervened.

“And who was it?”

Katsuto asked Koichi to continue.

- An illegal squad of killers from the USNA, unit Horsehead.

- Illegal MAP...? Muttered Mitsuya Gen in an understanding voice, hearing the name voiced by Saegusa Koichi.

- Saegusa-dono, Mitsuya-dono, what is Illegal MAP?

After Ichijou Gouki's question, Saegusa Koichi and Mitsuya Gen's eyes shifted to one side. They looked at the monitor to see the facial expressions of each other.

As a result of eye contact, Mitsuya Gen was selected to answer the question.

- This is a unit engaged in illegal work and killings, and reporting directly to the General Staff of the USNA Army. The unit consists of three squads, all of whose members are magicians with excellent fighting skills against humans. I heard that one of these units, the Horse Head, was conceived for sending to tasks in the Great Asian Alliance, therefore it consists of magicians of East Asian appearance.

- Do you mean that this is a certain elite detachment of the American army, designed for illegal work?

- You can understand that. - Mitsuya Gen answered the question of Ichijou Gouki.

“Yotsuba-dono, why did America plan to kill your son?” Gouki asked Maya in a caustic tone.

- Who knows? Maybe because Tatsuya rejected their request?

In Maya’s blatant manner of speaking, it was obvious that she did not even hide the factthat she was pretending to be out of business. But Gouki did not care about Maya's attitude.

“Are you talking about the requirement to participate in the Dion Project?” I don't think the squad of killer magicians was sent just for this reason. Still, the rumor about your son is true, isn't it?

Maya did not respond to Gouki’s provocation, but only barely noticeable smiled.

- What rumor? - Shippou Takumi asked.

- The rumor that the magician of the Strategic class who destroyed the southern tip of the Korean Peninsula, the user of the magic of the Strategic class that caused the so called "Scorched Halloween" is the son of Yotsuba-dono, that is, Shiba-dono.

Formally, this statement by Gouki was Takumi's answer, but in fact it was a matter of Maya and Tatsuya.

Maya, as usual, only smiled impassively.

Tatsuya had to answer.

“I don't see the need to answer.”

From such an unceremonious answer, Tatsuya Gouki's eyes widened and his face
turned red. 

- This issue was not included in the agenda of this conference. If this meeting was
planned for this, then from now on I will refrain from discussing and will not bother you. 

Tatsuya continued before Gouki managed to say something.

“Shiba-dono, you're exaggerating.” Take it easy.

“Ichijou-dono, you should also refrain from making statements in which you try to find
out the situation in other families.” 

Mutsuzuka Atsuko and Yatsushiro Raizou hastened to become mediators in the dispute.

-... Really. This was an inappropriate topic.

- I apologize.

Gouki, though only in words, admitted that he was wrong, to which Tatsuya answered
with a completely insincere apology. 

The atmosphere in the conference room began to deteriorate. The heads of families
displayed on the screen did not hide their decline in motivation. Or just didn’t want to  hide it. 

- If the armed forces that started the shooting were the Illegal MAP, then the riots that
they organized were in no way connected with Minoru-dono or with Japanese criminal  organizations. This time they were able to penetrate the country, taking advantage of a  convenient moment during the retreat of the NSU fleet, so from that moment on, self defense forces, in order not to shame their honor, will have to strengthen their
vigilance. 

Mitsuya Gen probably concluded that he couldn’t continue like this, so he decided to
continue the discussion. 

- Therefore, we do not need to participate in this matter. I believe that the issue that we
should discuss now concerns the responsibility of Kudou-dono. 

- Mitsuya-dono is right. Although, as a result, they lost the magic of Minoru-dono, but
this did not happen without the help of the Parasite, whose existence aroused public  alarm. 

Saegusa Koichi spoke up, taking advantage of a convenient moment after Mitsui Gen's
speech. 

- Yotsuba-dono. Did Kudou Minoru abduct a maid from your house? What decision
would the Yotsuba family offer in this case? 

Obviously, with this question posed, Koichi was trying to impose dirty work on Maya.

- Let me think... Tatsuya, what do you think?

Without removing a smile from her face, Maya simply threw this question Koichi to
Tatsuya. 

- I believe that we do not need to force them to take responsibility.

Tatsuya answered without hesitation.

“If Minoru was manipulated by the Kudou family, then they too can be considered
victims of the Parasite.” It is also an unbiased fact that the Kudou family is the main  victim in this matter, since Minoru killed the previous head of the family. I believe that  from the point of view of humanity, it would be inappropriate to condemn the grieving  family for complicity, preparing to hold the funeral of His Excellency Kudou tomorrow. 

“Well said, Shiba-dono.”

Futatsugi Mai agreed with Tatsuya in a quick manner of speech unusual for her, praising
him. Perhaps she was afraid that in this case the objections would not be relevant. 

“As Shiba-dono said, Kudou Minoru is the criminal who killed the previous head of the
Kudou family.” The Kudou family should not have been prepared to help such a person. 

- From the point of view of common sense, it is. - Agreed Yatsushiro Raizou in a slightly
ironic tone. 

- I also support the view that there is no need to demand compensation from the
Kudou family. Saegusa-dono, does this suit you? 

“Since it suits Yotsuba-dono, I won’t mind.”

Glancing at Mitsuya Gen, Saegusa Koichi voiced his agreement with the humbled face.

In addition to Maya and Tatsuya, the opinion that the unity of the Ten Master Clans
should not be destroyed was supported in their own words by Mai, Raizou, and Gen.  

Although the Kudou family was not one of the Ten Master Clans at the moment, it was
recently among them, and it clearly stood apart from the other Eighteen Replacing Families. If you push the Kudou family beyond measure now, a system called the Ten  Master Clans may weaken. This is precisely what they feared. Koichi also did not want to violate the established order of the Japanese magical world  with the Ten Master Clans at its top. Although he sought to lower the status of the  Kudou family, which retained a strong influence, despite the fact that he left the Ten Master Clans, but general devastation was not part of his plans. 

- That's great. And also, Shiba-dono.

Mitsuya Gen did not stop even after forcing Saegusa Koichi to compromise.

- What?

- Yes, I agree that this place is not suitable to reveal your strength.

- Mitsuya-dono. This is already...

Katsuto tried to stop Gen. But he did not stop.

“However, Shiba-dono.” Now it’s no secret to anyone that you are the same magician of
the Strategic class. Your actions and statements have caused uncontrollably arising suspicions and rumors among many military and politicians both in Japan and abroad.  

You should be a little more serious about the harsh reality in which these people,
fearing a threat, may show an excessive reaction. 

Gen's comments were not based on malicious intent or hatred. Rather, on the contrary, he took care of Tatsuya's present and future.

The Mitsuya family had military ties not only in Japan, but also abroad. They probably
intercepted fragmentary information regarding secret plans to neutralize the "magician  of the Strategic class Shiba Tatsuya." 

- I will take your advice into account. But even if you call it a well-known secret, I still
can’t tell anything about myself. 

Tatsuya seemed to understand that too. However, his position has not changed.

He had an agreement with self-defense forces, according to which he was forbidden to
disclose that he was a user of the Matter Blast. In addition, he could not ignore the  information received from Shiina through Miyuki. 

The Mitsuya family informed the self-defense forces of Tatsuya's plan to attack Midway
Prison. Obviously, the information was transmitted to Saeki, closely associated with  Tatsuya, precisely in order to prevent the implementation of this plan in practice. If you look from the appropriate point of view, Tatsuya could not help but think that this Gen's speech also had the goal of tying him hand and foot. 

◊ ◊ ◊

Today's extraordinary meeting of the Master Clans left Tatsuya a bad aftertaste. It was
fortunate that he was not blamed for the battle with Illegal MAP, but the fact that he  was in fact exposed as a magician of the Strategic class was an unacceptable result for  him, despite the fact that he was not guilty of this. 

However, if you continue to be in a bad mood, then this will cause undue concern for
Miyuki. Forcibly suppressing these feelings in himself, he went to the hospital where  

Honoka lies, which they, together with Miyuki and Lina, planned to visit after they
returned from school. 

- Hi, Honoka! How are you feeling?

When they entered the hospital ward, Lina spoke first with Honoka.

Tatsuya and Miyuki stood behind her with a delicate lack of expression on their faces.

In truth, Miyuki did not speak first because she felt that Honoka would be glad if Tatsuya spoke first. And Tatsuya, as if having read Miyuki’s thoughts, was the first to plan to ask Honoka about her well-being.

However...

Lina violated this program of action with her energy.

But she could not be blamed for this, because in advance they did not discuss who would do what. The result was a temporary lack of facial expression in Tatsuya and Miyuki.

Perhaps Tatsuya and Miyuki showed excessive caution.

Honoka answered Lina's question with a clear voice, without showing a single drop of disappointment.

- All right. Although this is called “hospitalized,” I’m just here for a routine examination.

- I see. It's good.

Having recovered to a normal state, Tatsuya wedged into the conversation.

“Tatsuya-san... I'm sorry to make you worry.”

Honoka was embarrassed, but didn’t even hide her smile. Although she did not think that Tatsuya would not worry about her, but when he so openly showed his concern, she could not suppress the joy in herself.

“Honoka, you shouldn't apologize.” Rather, I should apologize. Sorry to drag you into this. And Erica, I also created problems.

In addition to the Tatsuya group, Honoka also came to visit Erica and Shizuku.

Tatsuya first bowed to Honoka, and then said an apology to Erica.

“What are you saying, Tatsuya-san!” You are not to blame!

- Right. Those villains are to blame. Fortunately, neither Honoka nor Mizuki were injured, so Tatsuya-kun does not need to take responsibility, right?

Honoka was energetic, and Erica, with a barely perceptible smile, shook his head from side to side.

- I am very glad that no one was hurt. And I'm not only about Honoka and Mizuki, but about Erica, Saijou-kun and Yoshida-kun too.

Miyuki’s words were from the bottom of their hearts, but were also designed to prevent Tatsuya from continuing to apologize.

- Right. Mizuki also missed school today, but this is due to precautions so that yesterday does not happen again. And as for Leo and Miki... in a sense, they are able to take care of themselves.

As Erica said, as a precaution, Mizuki stayed home today. But Leo and Mikihiko did not come, because they were too shy to come to the girl’s personal (not shared) hospital ward.

“I also think that Tatsuya-san’s guilt is not here, but...”

The remark of Shizuku, who was silent before, sounded a little different from the general flow of conversation.

Shizuku stared at Tatsuya. There was no smile on her face.

“I want Tatsuya-san to protect Honoka so that this never happens again.”

She had an absolutely serious tone, in which there was not a fraction of playfulness. 

Her face was absolutely serious.

- Uh !? Honoka screamed. Erica and Lina were also openly surprised.

For some reason, there was no surprise or anger on Miyuki’s face.... But there was no smile either.

“I think you know that I'm a man from the Yotsuba family of the Ten Master Clans.”

Tatsuya's answer to Shizuku’s question sounded more like a “question” than a “statement”.

- Yeah.

Shizuku answered, not Honoka. Honoka herself only stared at Tatsuya, holding her breath.

- Previously, I assumed in my future separation from the Yotsuba family... Or even confrontation with her. But now I'm going to live like a magician in the Yotsuba family.

When Miyuki heard Tatsuya continue to speak, her face darkened for a moment.

“Being under my protection means for Honoka that she too will become a magician
working for the Yotsuba family.” She will not be able to live a normal life. Including as a  magician. However... 

- And yet, I do not mind.

Harnessing her strength, Honoka issued an answer confirming the acceptance of what
Tatsuya had said. 

There was no shiver in her eyes aimed at Tatsuya.

But when she turned her eyes from Tatsuya to Miyuki, indecision appeared in her gaze.

“But then... Miyuki, does that suit you?”

Hearing Honoka, Miyuki looked away.

However, she immediately turned back and looked Honoka directly in the eye.

“Honestly... I don't like this.” Because Honoka is an attractive girl. But at the same time
with this feeling of rejection, I am glad that we can together be the support of Tatsuya sama. 

- Miyuki... Yeah, I'll try.

Miyuki and Honoka smiled at each other. But the smiles of both were strained. Miyuki's
smile was clearly feigned, and Honoka's smile lacked self-confidence. However, neither  in their words, nor in their eyes was a lie. 

“However... ” Miyuki said and turned to Tatsuya. Her smile, which she gave to Tatsuya,
shone dazzlingly. “It is forbidden to change, Tatsuya-sama.” 

“Now something like this could not be said,” Tatsuya moaned in his thoughts, not even
changing his face. 

- Now something like this could not be said...

And then suddenly Lina's voice came.

As expected... The atmosphere was ruined.

However, there was no one here who did not understand that the cause of the damage
to the atmosphere was precisely the defiant act of Miyuki. 

-... Of course. Tatsuya answered, making his face as serious as he could.

Honoka's face, meanwhile, had already begun to twitch from a constant smile.

- So greedy. Whispered Shizuku, standing to the side of Honoka.

(Colored Illustration) 

◊ ◊ ◊

7 p.m. Lina had dinner again at the same table with Tatsuya and Miyuki. However, today
she was not just waiting at the table, as usual, but was in the kitchen with Miyuki.  

Unfortunately, she still did not have the level to call it "cooking together." Rather, it was
only "Miyuki's help." 

“... I didn’t expect Shizuku to talk about something like this...”

With great difficulty wielding chopsticks, Lina spoke to Tatsuya.... Miyuki in a rather
Spartan manner did not allow Lina to use a knife and a fork instead of sticks. 

- It really was unexpected.

Neither Tatsuya nor Miyuki asked what exactly Lina meant by the word "such." To
Shizuku’s “request” expressed by the words “I want Tatsuya-san to defend Honoka,”  

Tatsuya replied “I will take Honoka, Erica and the others” under my protection. And all
this corresponded to the impression of Lina, which she voiced last night with the words. 

"it looks like you were going to establish your kingdom."

“But for you, Tatsuya, on the contrary, circumstances are preferable when the other
side itself has asked for protection, isn't it?” 

- Yes.... But in fact, it would be better if the situation did not go so far that my defense
would really be required. 

Lina unexpectedly seriously took these words of Tatsuya, which he spoke more likely to himself.

“... Honoka is also a magician.” Therefore, for her, the probability of getting into a
dangerous situation is already quite high, regardless of Onii-sama. 

- B-right. People who seek out powerful magicians, and make them work for
themselves against their will, are in the government, and in civil organizations, and in  criminal gangs. Therefore, Honoka should be happy to be protected by Tatsuya. 

Miyuki and Lina hurriedly spoke in a distracting manner. More precisely, only Lina was
nervous and hasty. Miyuki's words were more like convincing herself. 

-...Yes you are right. In addition, in this case, this does not mean that I have to do
something right now. 

-...Right. Now it’s better to give priority to Minami-chan.

The chopsticks of all three froze. The air became heavier, as if preventing this time from
escaping or evading an answer. 

“... I don't know if I should say this, but is it normal that you are not busy chasing after
Minami?” Aren't you going to give up? 

- Of course, I do not intend to give up. - Without hesitation, Tatsuya answered Lina's
question. 

There was no indecision in his words.

A sad expression disappeared from Miyuki's face.

- I know the location. Now she... about 1,200 kilometers east of Tokyo. It moves
underwater in the Pacific Ocean at a speed of 35 knots. 

“Do you know so much !?”

From the last words, Tatsuya Lina widened her eyes.

Her sticks even fell out of her hand.

Miyuki looked at Lina sitting across from her with a disapproving look.

- Sorry. - Lina whispered, picked up the fallen sticks on the tablecloth and laid them on a ceramic stand for sticks.

After ascertaining that Lina was not too lazy to put her wands properly, Miyuki turned to Tatsuya and asked:

- Speaking under water, do you mean that she is in a submarine?

Needless to say, Miyuki herself, following the rules of etiquette, put her chopsticks on a stand right after she interrupted her meal.

“This is not known to me.” It can also be a fully submersible vessel.... More importantly, the food cools down. Let's talk about food.

- Really.

“A fully submersible vessel?” And you know a lot...

Although Miyuki and Lina reacted differently, they both continued to eat after Tatsuya.

- Moving east of Tokyo... Maybe Hawaii? Or...

Although Lina tried to pretend that something had crossed her mind, it was obvious that she was giving her expectations as reality. She thought it a convenient coincidence that the ship with the Mines aboard was heading towards Midway Island.

Neither Tatsuya nor Miyuki accused her of such recklessness. They both understood that Benjamin Canopus, a prisoner in Midway Prison, was dear to Lina, and she worried about him about the same way they worried about Minami.

- Obviously, the destination is neither the main island of the Hawaiian archipelago, nor Oahu. They go either to Midway Island or to the atoll next to it...

Undoubtedly, this is precisely why Tatsuya led the conversation in the direction Lina desired.

- Lina, are there any American military bases in the northwest of the Hawaiian Islands?

Tatsuya heard from the Mitsuya family that an American military base is located on Pearl & Hermes Atoll. However, he decided to ask Lina this question, hinting that he could pay attention to Midway Prison.

“I heard that the Pearl & Hermes Atoll has a navy supply base.”

But, unfortunately, Lina was unexpectedly serious. She did not notice the hint of Tatsuya and only answered what was asked of her.

Miyuki stared at Lina with a frustrated look, trying to convey to her the thought, "No, no!"

And Tatsuya sitting next to her patiently continued to ask Lina questions.

“And what did you hear about her?”

- I did not check every local base among those that were not planned to be used. I'm not a fleet officer.

“So it's not such a big base?”

- Probably. I think I would remember if it were an important base.

"Himself, perhaps, say...?"

Tatsuya was already starting to have a headache.

And Miyuki, moving away from this conversation, focused on food.

- So, this is a base that is remote from the mainland and about which it is not known how many military personnel there are? A suitable place to keep an abducted person there.

“... Tatsuya, do you think their destination is Pearl & Hermes base?” - timidly asked Tatsuya Lina.

Tatsuya no longer had the desire to continue doing bullshit tonight.

“And I'm not going to ignore the likelihood that a kidnapped person might be imprisoned on Midway Island.”

Lina breathed a sigh of relief.

Miyuki glanced briefly at Lina. This look said: “what a troublesome and care-taking child,” but Lina didn’t even notice that Miyuki looked at her. 

1