9.
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“No more sleep.” The hero’s cold voice cuts through the thin cloth of the various tents set on the rocky ground parallel the old roadway.

There are fourteen of them now. Eight men and six women. Seventy percent of them are warriors or battle mages from noble families, while the remaining four are female clerics sent by an assortment of different churches hoping to increase their influence one way or another.

In fact, in the hero’s opinion that hope was one that the majority of party shared. But that was besides the point when the task is this important.

Motivations, for the most part, can be forgiven. So long as they properly help in the hunt, the hero could care less about their individual motivations.

Grumbling, the various characters begrudgingly begin packing up their beddings and makeshift tents. After the hefty donation from various nobles and the royal family, the leeches expected the accommodations to be extravagant and they were rarely silent about their disappointment, this morning included.

Ignoring it, the hero began scanning over an old map, comparing the road and landmarks to the barren wasteland now bordering the human world. Today the search would focus west of the ruins. Follow the riverbed as far as the day will take them and sweep the other bank tomorrow.

Realistically they won’t be found immediately, the hero knew that, but this opportunity wouldn’t last forever so the risk was worth the reward.

“Breakfast.” Poiy, one of the few female battle mages in the party chimes with a genuine smile. She was probably one of the most well-meaning of the lot. And strong too, alone she was able to fend off an entire wave of demons while assigned to the front line. When reinforcements finally arrived, she refused to retreat until she had recovered the bodies of all of her fallen squad members.

And to top it all off, she’s a foreign beauty. The hero couldn’t help but be conscious of her whenever in her presence.

“Thanks.” The hero coolly returns, taking the bowl of mashed oats with a smile in return.

It was always the same oats, but the hero had noticed a distinct increase in flavor whenever Poiy oversaw the cooking. When complimented on it she rather haughtily joked that her previous squad shared the thought. And then her face grew tense, so the hero was wise enough to avoid the discussing the topic for too long.

“So, I was thinking I could be in the front today with the shield users. See, I just learned this new defensive…”

“…”

“No, you see, last time was a fluke.” Poiy quickly protests after noticing the hero’s rolling eyes.  “I spent that entire night practicing and completely forgot to compensate for the mana I wasted. But this time I’ve fully recharged. No sudden naps this time, I promise.”

“I’ll give you an hour. If anything more than a rabbit attacks, you’re swapping back to ranged with the other mages.” The hero relents with a sigh.

“Yay!” Poiy cheers, pulling the hero into a hug only to be pushed away as usual.

“Keep it down, don’t forget where we are.” The hero chastises with another eye roll.

Giggling and glancing around, Poiy notices a variety of the other party members staring daggers at her. ‘Don’t forget to ask.’ One mouths with little attempt to mask the message.

“I’m not asking about that…” Poiy mutters with a look of her own disdain.

“Oh? What do they want so bad they have to make you ask?” The hero quickly pieces together with the help of the typical group dynamic.

Poiy hesitates to state it for a moment before shrugging her shoulders and glaring at the group. “Somehow word got to one of the frontier governors about the search on his side of the border. He deemed that reason enough to host a ‘Hero’s welcoming parade’.”

“Oh, I see.” The Hero’s words immediately bring joy to those around, but the words don’t stop there. “So, because we are, a few hundred miles from his land he expects us… no, me to show up and give his town an productivity bump while also proving his influence. And you all want desperately to go and play with them I suspect. Which entices you more, the free food, or cheap women? The food will give you parasites, but that might be the least of your worries after the women.”

The few grim faces returned to the hero don’t halt the speech though.

“Please go ahead though. I really hope you have fun waving from atop the float.” The hero mocks with a grin, gazing at the guiltiest amongst the group. “Tell them you are part of the hero’s party I’m sure they will pour you a drink. Go on and tell them all about how you would rather abandon the task and celebrate with them. I’m sure they will appreciate you for it. ‘Hero’s of the people’ they might call you.”

A chorus of silence answers the hero’s outburst. None of them could deny the selfishness of the request.

“Now, whoever wishes to help, I’ll be continuing west today I hope you keep up.” Tossing leather sack onto back haphazardly and strapping sword to waist, the hero sets off to continue the helpless search.

0