15.
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Thanks a lot mister. We will take great care of it.” A quickly beating heart happily chimes.

The man handing it over, is my buddy from the Demon lands. He thinks I am cursed. It’s a bit insulting. And, if I could feel them, the kicks and abuse would be even worse of a crime.

I suppose its because of the mana I require. He mutters endlessly about feeling like puking whenever he holds me. Nonetheless he properly brought me all the way to the frontier with him.

And now, spotting the first team of impressionable adventurers he is pawning me off.

Good riddance, I say.

I welcome you new team of owners. May you indeed take great care of me.

I never did find out a clear reason as to how that man ended up so deep into the demon territory. But I suppose that’s not something you would need to mutter to yourself while walking.

Indeed, I made no effort in communicating with him. The moment he called me cursed, it was an instant ‘no gifts for you’ policy.

Of course, I shared a similar policy with the demons before him, simply based on who they were. Even if they are the only family of demons supporting humanity they are still demons.

I think I am gift shy now after Jiro.

I really did make a mistake. But I can now use that memory to never make the same mistake again.

I will only give these adventures something from the armory that is suited towards their individual skills. And I won’t just instantly give them something from the pile without investigating it. Every item here has a corresponding letter detailing its abilities as well as words of hope for the hero.

I hope my predecessors can forgive me, but this is how I believe I can do the most good. Once I am sure of what these people need, I will grant it, and then I will tell them to give me up. Drop me on the side of the road or hand me to a person in need. These will be my rules.

No hero building. No influence, apart from restoring necessary tools to use.

 

▐◊▌▐◊▌

 

Quickly I picked up the dynamic of the party. It’s a simple dynamic. The archer and healer are both in love with the swordsman. And from the looks of it he isn’t aware.

Typical?

Why would I think that?

Well in any case, I have an idea of what they each need. And its not exactly as expected.

One would think, a sword of great power for a swordsman, but I am actually leaning towards a rather peculiar amulet. By reading and manipulating the muscles of the wearer it can artificially add mass to the wearer. It basically acts as weighted clothing which can be deactivated the moment a swift strike is needed.

In the note it explained that it scales slowly making it so the wearer will barely be aware of the effects until its triggered in combat.

For the archer girl, stereotypically, I choose a ranged weapon. But again, not an ordinary one. It’s extremely compact and is wielded as a secondary weapon.

Often, in the simple combat scenarios that the group went through, I noticed she would get caught with her back open. If she had a quickly operatable weapon better suited for short range she would be a lot better off. 

The tool also operates off mana so she won’t be forced to carry a new pile of ammunition with her.

Finally, we have the person I had the most trouble with. What does someone blessed with the power of healing need? There are several religious idols within the hero’s armory, but I think that would be a bit…

Yeah.

There are also rings and brooches which can store mana for times of need, but they don’t seem particularly necessary based on the healing techniques she uses. Most of the mana is taken from the patient themselves.

So, I was back to square one, and more time was passing with them trading around this bag and using it to store their supplies.

I still haven’t made contact with them at all.

Thumbing through a few more letters and finding the corresponding relics to match I line up my current options for her.

One, a pin with a single, daily-use shield ability.

Two, a wand which in theory could improve her meager combat ability.

And finally the third option, a book I can’t make heads or tails out of.

I am leaning towards the book simply out of wonder if she can get anything from it. I consider myself well-read, but healing concepts are so abstract that unless you possess the skill its impossible to comprehend it by reading.

With decision finally made I realize I have no plan to approach them.

Just say ‘hey, here’s some stuff?’

That would play out strangely.

I won’t tell them they are chosen, that would do nothing but hurt them in the future. I won’t make those mistakes again.

 

▐◊▌▐◊▌

 

It’s scary how things work out sometimes.

“So let’s go over the plan once more before we move out.” The swordsman, Lio repeats after counting this week’s gruesome haul. “Once we get back to town, Rira is going to the bookstore while Iris and I check out the new stock at the armorer’s place. We meet up by the statue at noon, get lunch and then we will decide if we want to stick around and find an inn or continue camping.”

The prompt of this trip was Iris once again allowing a foe within her range of defenselessness. This moment is heaven sent, I won’t allow it to pass me by.

With a clatter sounding behind the group, each member turns to investigate the sound, only to find a palm sized metal device with a small hole in the center of one of the edges.

Picking it up carefully Lio looks over the ancient looking box.

“Where did it…” He begins to mutter before glancing at where it could have fallen from. “Iris take that bag off your waist quic…”

Before the order could be completed, I again tempt the group.

With a book now tumbling from Iris’s waist the entire group was completely agape.

Hurrying to follow the order half given by Lio, Iris begins wrenching at the chain hooked around her belt.

“Wait.” Rira, the healer, calmly states with a palm towards the frantic two. Leaning over and lifting up the book, a great smile appears on her face. “It heard us.”

‘Ding.’

And to think that predecessor had claimed in the letter that his contribution would be useless. Your simple bells are well received my friend.

“Lio, try strapping the box to you arm.”

‘Dong!’

This time striking the larger bell firmly to deter them, I toss the final item out of the bag.

Landing lamely on the ground at Lio’s feet the green amulet twinkles in a ray of light passing through the dense forest.

“Seriously…” Lio complains as he passes the box logically to Iris. “But what is…”

“It’s better not to question magic items like this.” Rira interrupts as she turns a page with rapidly gliding eyes. “Haven’t you heard the legend of the traveling blade? An eccentric magic sword which saved the lives of people all over the country.”

“I’m pretty sure that story was just a marketing stunt set up by Wandering Arm’s Co.,” Iris coldly rebukes as she fumbles to attach the thin box to her dominant hand. Clipping the bracket, a thin grin appears on her face. “Was milady perhaps told propaganda as bedtime stories?”

“Shut up!” Rira shouts with face bright red. “My point still stands. This book contains concepts I can’t even fathom. It could lead to a new frontier in divine magic. This magic bag clearly is giving us precious items. So, we shouldn’t be disrespectful.”

‘Ding.’

“It agrees.” Rira reiterates with a nod before again flipping pages with another gasp.

“Since when do you speak bell.” Iris mutters under her breath before fiddling with the box in confusion. “What even is this?”

“Yeah, I’m not getting much from this necklace.”

“It’s an amulet!” Rira shouts before again turning a shade of red. “Well, honestly, I don’t know what it… Oh.”

“A letter?” Lio confirms, lifting up the envelope and opening it carefully.

Never expected the vast quantity of stationary in here to come of use. These more rudimentary predecessors ought to give themselves more credit. A stack of crisp parchment is much more useful than whatever a ‘lazer gun’ is.

And while I’m on the topic ‘Mr. barbarian who left a stack of jerky and an incomprehensible letter’, thank you. I have to admit, I used to be repulsed by the likely rotted meat that sat in the corner, but now that food has become a premium, this jerky is tasting better than any meal I had in the capital. Maybe even better than Heather’s slice of cheese pie.

Getting back onto subject though, the group seem to be slowly reading over the details included. I am sure the one at the bottom will be hardest for them.

“So we will have to part.” Lio mutters in sorrow. “It… You were really handy. Y… Thank you for allowing us to store items inside you.”

 “The letter said it doesn’t have to be immediate.” Rira rationalizes. “Right here, ’Once you are comfortable,’ so until Iris…”

‘Thunk!’

Landing a bolt of magic dead center in a nearby tree Iris’s face lights up in amazement.

“A…” Rira stammers before glancing down at the book in frustration. “Well I know I need more time.”

‘Ding.’

“How’d you do that, Iris?” Lio exclaims as he dashes over to the tree to inspect the damage.

“Just like it says in the letter.” Iris shrugs glancing once again at the box she had activated so simply. “Even I wasn’t expecting it. I just thought about it and… Wah!”

Firing a stray bullet through the air, Iris’s eyes widen in shock.

“Sorry.” A voice that almost doesn’t reach the bag mutters in shame.

Lio, chuckling at the angry birds squawking in the distance, pats Iris’s head gingerly. “Practice carefully. No shooting anything living till it’s like second nature.”

With Rira glaring at the two with dead eyes Lio retracts his hand and returns to their packed supplies. “Well, new plan I suppose. I will head to town with this stuff and sell it. You two can continue practice and reading. I will also try and get an idea of what this necklace is supposed to do while I am at it. The letter said I will get stronger by wearing it but I just don’t feel a thing. Maybe its busted?”

““You’re going alone?”” Both girls ask in show of rare coordination.

“You both are busy. And from what I read even just going on a walk will make me stronger.” Lio concludes with a last glance at the letter set on the table between them. Lifting the bag to his back with ease, Lio turns towards the path out of the forest. “So, carrying this pack to town will be my training. Any complaints?”

Unable to wriggle out of training for a village date, both girls sigh and return to their prescribed tasks.

“Good.” Lio nods with a wide smile, the two so rarely got along, so this felt like a nice change of pace to him.

 

▐◊▌▐◊▌

 

As promised when the time came, they didn’t hesitate. Of course, I was a bit overzealous and waited until they were the strongest party around, I just didn’t want anything to happen to them before they could protect themselves.

As a parting gift I gave each the stereotypical items I eyed from the start. A bow for Iris, a powerful holy talisman for Rira, she seems to care more about performance than strict worship so she didn’t mind its strange–possibly demonic–symbolism. And last, for Lio, I choose an exquisitely crafted blade from a few generations before I was born. It was probably near the quality of what the king wore.  

Again they were ecstatic, and Rira boldly reclaimed her wisdom in treating the magic bag kindly.

I won’t say she’s wrong. It surely didn’t hurt my opinion of the group.

I can’t say I won’t miss them. They’ve given me back a bit of hope for humanity.

0