24.
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hundreds of miles away to the west, the Hero was absently inspecting the battalion of tents laying in the valley below. It was far from where the hero expected to be a decade ago.

Well does anyone really anticipate leading an army at such a young age? Its no wonder morale is where it is. The expressions they show is proof enough.

The legends said this campaign would be the greatest in history. That demons would all but welcome their destruction when the hero lead the army. But that wasn’t the case so far. Every mile, every inch, was taken with buckets of blood.

The faces the hero saw, reflected just how much they each paid to get here. But they ought not to have paid anything. They were promised a free trip to the throne in Kez-Logar, but that’s clearly not what they are receiving.

And that failure can only be the Hero’s to bear.

Reaching a hand for the hilt hanging from the constricting belt, the Hero draws the unwieldy sword and alights it with mana.

The pulse of light and warmth, filling the valley with a soothing energy, drew everyone’s attention, human and demon alike. The demon’s, who were lurking in the shadows around the encampments could do nothing but block their eyes and escape the deadly rays. The humans on the other hand looked on in amazement.

The frowns that once rested on the faces of the soldiers were now replaced with a feeling of hope. Even if they would have to struggle for each step, the soldiers held hope, for atleast the hero was with them.

The only one with a remaining frown, was the hero.

The hero knew it wouldn’t be enough.

 

▐◊▌▐◊▌

 

The next evening the hero was tucked between dozens of generals and strategists as they once again reviewed a plan they had been conducting for weeks.

“By tomorrow we will want to reach the Etik valley,” A man on the left side of the table explains with a finger to a dot drawn on the wide map.

He has said the same thing the past four meetings. It’s no less true than it has been before, does he think we aren’t aware? I haven’t seen him mowing down any demons lately, so perhaps he’s the one who needs reminding.

Holding back my tongue a few strategists nod beside him as if the mere words will achieve it.

The real questions we should be asking ourselves here is…

“The questions we ought to be asking is how can we achieve what has so far evaded us?” The calmest voice in the group reasons shutting everyone up instantly. For good reason, without this person the army wouldn’t have formed at the speed it did. Without this person’s trust in the hero, they wouldn’t have come this far.

 No one had an answer for the royal child. No one could admit that they were stumped as to how to break the demon’s control over the Etik valleys strategic points. The idea of flanking them from behind was brought up before but, unless someone had miraculously created a secret tunnel through the mountain face, there was no way to do that.

“Hero? Do you have anything?”

“We hit them harder. It’s all we have. We’ve tried infiltrations, we’ve tried sieges, we’ve tried magic, we’ve rolled every die we have.” The hero sighs while tottering one of the game pieces across the map. “All we have left is brute force. Fight with the same ferocity that they would when invading.”

Knocking an enemy piece over with the one the hero held to demonstrate the point, a few of the generals couldn’t help but approve of the battle strategy with a light chuckle.

Again silencing the crowd, the royal again asks the question on everyone’s mind. “Is that really the only…”

“Excuse me!”

Under the small voice, erupting through the cloth curtain door of the tent, was a young porter with an uncertain look on his face. Perhaps he didn’t realize who he was interrupting. After looking around and realizing attention was gathered on him, the porter coughs into his hand awkwardly before announcing his reasoning for entering.

“A spy was caught sneaking towards the camp. He’s being weirdly uncooperative and…”

One of the generals, unsatisfied with this reasoning quickly boils into a rage. “That is no reason to interrupt a strategy meeting lead by a highness! Apologize this inst…”

“Hold on.”

0