Chapter 24: Gambit – Part 6.
34 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now free of the liches telekinetic spell, the three others fell to the ground with a heavy thud.

Casey quickly patted her pants pocket and sighed in relief when she felt the small metal square. “Viv!”  She pulled the lighter free and tossed it to her mistress, “Catch.  Burn it all.”

Denise looked up with her mustard eyes doused in fear, “Can’t be…no…stop, I beg you…Marion…please…”

Jumping from her carefully carved throne, Vivienne caught the lighter mid air then with her vampiric speed, managed to gather up all of the tattered remains of the first painting in a pile.  Standing over her prey like the huntress she was, Vivienne’s cold blue eyes bore straight into Denise. Taking the moment to snatch the two small pieces of the painting from her enemies hand, Vivienne lit those on fire then tossed them on the pile of kindling and canvas.

Wicked flame of green and teal leapt from the small pile and released its magic as the flame penetrated the worn cloth.  Flashes of the spidery lightning bounced as though a circuit had been severed.  Arcs of energy popped and flashed as it jumped from piece to piece, making wild noises and leaving the smell of ozone permeating in the cave.

Wild eyed, Denise managed to push herself to her feet and raise her green runed hand in the effort to stop the pile from burning.  Six tentacles jumped from her rune and at first headed for the remains of the painting.  When a spark jumped and connected the fire to the tentacles, they started to transform and curled back on Denise.  “Stop!...No..I command…You are mine to cont…”  Denise’s pleading and screams were cut short.

Wrapping tightly around the withering lich, the magic squeezed her like a snake and kept Denise from concentrating.  Unable to fight any longer, Denise glanced once more at her Marion standing over her.  A couple more seconds passed and Denise’s tentacles dug into the stone floor and created a small shadow-like door and pulled her into it as the flames consumed the last of the painting.

When the floor returned to its shiny blue rock, Vivienne looked up to see her companions walk to her.  Faye wrapped her arms tightly around Vivienne’s small waist. Vivienne leaned over and kissed Faye gently then looked back at the floor again.  Reminded of the little Shakespearean line that Denise uttered during the battle, Vivienne took a breath. “Human madness is oftentimes a cunning and most feline thing. When you think it fled, it may have but become transfigured into some still subtler form.”

Faye reached up and turned Vivienne to look at her, “Where is that from?  It seems familiar.”

“Herman Melville, Moby Dick.”  Vivienne kissed Faye’s soft hand. “I know a little literature, you know.  I don’t just read medical journals.”  She winked.

Sylvie walked over to the shelves of graphic novels. “Should we destroy the rest?”  She looked back at the rest of the group questioningly.

“We would likely have to destroy the entire cave, I get the feeling that the books are only part of the issue.”  Vivienne pulled Faye into an embrace and kissed her. “I missed that.”  Vivienne sighed and looked at the other two. “I am unfamiliar with the necessary workings on how to collapse a cave.”

“You know you are a liar.”  Faye laughed and took a step back, placing her hands on her hips. “You said all your kisses were for me.”

Vivienne raised one of her long eyebrows as she pulled off the wig and tossed it to the ground. “They are, mon amour.”

Faye started heading for the cavern entrance and began climbing up the sheer face of the crystal laden wall. “Then why did you kiss her on the head?”

Sylvie pointed to Casey, “Come on, climb aboard while they work out the kissing issue.”  She laughed and pointed to her back. “You just hold tight and we will get out of here.”

“I am not looking forward to being unable to breathe again, Sylvie.”  Casey walked over and hopped on Sylvie’s back and wrapped her arms around the vampire’s neck.

Sylvie laughed, “I will run really fast, how would that be?  Time me, see if I can get us out in under a minute.”  Sylvie adjusted Casey on her back and climbed up the wall and disappeared into the mineshaft.

Vivienne fluffed her hair from where the wig had matted it down. “All part of the act, my love.”  She winked and followed Faye into the mine. “I forget which one of us said that we are lovely actresses.”  Vivienne reached the four way intersection and studied the layout for a few seconds. “Intriguing.  While I have admitted that I do not know how to collapse a cave, does that stop me from closing a vein?”

Turning to face Vivienne, Faye smiled. “Act?  You kissed her.”  She pointed to the wooden beams. “Good chance that it will drop the tunnel if you knock them down.  We should be deep enough that it won’t do anything to the ground above.”  Striding to stand beside her girlfriend, Faye punched the first beam. “I still think you owe me something for that kiss.” Pulling the remains of the reinforcement Faye waved her hand so that Vivienne would take over. “Your turn, Viv.”

“Why so violent, mon amour?”  Vivienne laughed and tugged on the other supports, breaking them free without shattering them like Faye had. “Let’s just jam this up..here..”  Vivienne took the top support and pummeled the top of the mineshaft until the ground shook and crumbled the walls to close off where the cave entrance was. “Perfect.”  Vivienne turned and grabbed Faye to her as the cloud of dust passed over them. “While we make our way back to Ravenstead Manor, you think of something that I ..” Vivienne scooped Faye into her arms and headed for the surface, “...owe you.”

Giggling as she felt herself get pulled into Vivienne’s arms, Faye clamped her hands around her partner’s neck and kissed Vivienne on the cheek. “I missed this.”  She laid her head on Vivienne’s shoulder. “We need a very long break, my love.”  She cleared her throat and smiled. “Or should I say it like you?  Mon amour?”

Vivienne reached the exit of the mine and gazed her oceanic blue eyes at Faye. “It sounds strange coming from you, Faye.”  Pressing their lips together, Vivienne felt the heated rush of being connected to Faye once more.  Daintily darting her tongue out, Vivienne purred with relief and satisfaction when Faye’s pointed tongue meshed with hers for a few minutes.

Clearing her throat politely, Casey tried to interrupt the couple. “Let’s close the entrance here and get our collective asses home?”

Laughing once more, Sylvie grabbed Casey’s hand. “Let’s give them a few more minutes.  We still have hours before sunrise.”  Walking towards the road with Casey in tow, Sylvie added, “It gives us a bit of a head start.” 

2