Chapter 96: World’s End
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 96: World’s End

Amphere Harrison

Blessed by the embodiment of the Galaxy Dragon, the scorching waves of the Almighty Hellscream never marred the sanctity of Alterra's atmosphere. Propelled by Exceria's Pulsar Dragon form, we traversed vast distances, closing the gap between ourselves and the Underworld. Now, as we ventured deeper into this torrential stream of inferno, only Airi and I remained.

The searing torrent began to erode the adamantine plating of my Chimeratech Dragon form, yet Airi remained resolute, her determination unyielding. Even as her cybernetic components sparked and strained, she pushed forward. Employing a forcefield, she shielded me from the voracious flames. It struck me—Airi's dedication to my safety ran deep, an unwavering testament to her love for me.

"Because I love you, Amphy! Totally!" Her declaration was both heartwarming and concerning, instilling worry for her own well-being.

Drawing ever nearer to the Underworld Dragon's head, each second counted down: five, four, three. A mere kilometer separated us from the culmination of this desperate struggle—the body of the dark messiah itself. If I could vanquish this entity, the battle would be won.

Abruptly, a resounding clang echoed from behind, and I swiveled to witness a shocking transformation. Airi's wings, once her steadfast companions, now flowed like liquid mercury, liquefying before my eyes. The realization dawned—continuing this course would surely cost her life.

"Airi, let me take it from here!" Determination fueled my leap forward, dynamos propelling me at a staggering speed. Observing my initiative, Airi transformed back to her humanoid form, executing nimble maneuvers to evade the consuming inferno.

Her shout reached my ears, bolstering my resolve. "Go, Amphy!!!"

Activating Deus Ex Machina, I sought refuge within its metallic defenses. Yet, even the formidable skull dissolved into pliable fluid under the onslaught. With quick thinking, I channeled my dynamos into a protective barrier, a final effort to stave off the searing heat. But the dynamos, too, succumbed to the all-consuming fire. Reacting on instinct, I brandished my photon broadsword, cleaving the inferno in a desperate bid to forge a path forward.

The photon broadsword, now melted beyond use, marked the conclusion of my desperate struggle. Yet, in a remarkable feat of determination, I managed to narrow the gap further—five meters left. From traversing thousands of kilometers as the Galaxy Dragon, tens of kilometers as Pulsar Dragon, a kilometer as Chimeratech Dragon, and hundreds of meters through sheer willpower, I finally achieved direct contact. Swiftly unsheathing the blue photon sword from my back, I executed a precise slash from Necross's forehead down to his navel.

"Nooooooo!"

The agonized cry reverberated as Necross's human form disintegrated into ashes, merging with the surrounding atmosphere. The Underworld Dragon underwent a final pulse before surrendering to transformation, its monstrous visage receding to reveal the familiar red planet beneath.

Turning my gaze skyward, I spotted Airi descending. Fueled by the conflicting gravities of the two worlds, her descent was a deliberate, slow-motion ballet. Swiftly, I intercepted her fall, her weightless form nestled securely within my grasp. As our eyes met, a shared smile of triumph spread between us. "We've done it!"

However, the moment of celebration was abruptly cut short when the Vesryn mark on Airi's forehead began to glow. Suddenly, the world around us dissolved, replaced by an expanse of pure, radiant white—an enigmatic void bathed in an unfamiliar light.

Before us materialized the visage of a young woman with silver hair—the one I recognized instantly.

Vesryn.

A youthful incarnation of Vesryn stood before us, adorned in a traditional kimono, her eyes bearing the distinct hue of a dragonoid, not the Eye of Deus. Words and thoughts seemed to flow directly into my consciousness, as my lips moved in unison with the thoughts forming in my mind.

"I shall now bestow upon you the Eye of Deus. Embrace your destiny, for it holds the power to save all life in existence. The dragon saint shall forge a connection with the Eye of Deus, unraveling the dark rite of Necross Ascension for all eternity."

Indeed, the apparition Vesryn believed to be Deo was, in truth, me. I stood before Vesryn's past self, intricately woven into the fabric of time. The mission was clear—to perpetuate the time loop, vanquish ultimate evil, and steer the course of destiny. I, the original possessor of the Eye of Deus, had come to lend Vesryn the power she required. Thus, I proceeded to entrust her with the eyes of ancient lore.

In an instant, we returned to the tangible dimension, the Underworld's nightmarish reality stretching before us. My gaze turned skyward, the verdant sphere of our planet drawing nearer. The deed was done; Necross lay defeated. But why did the Underworld persist in its collision course with our world?

"Necross Ascension has achieved its pinnacle, rendering planetary collision inevitable," Airi elucidated with a somber tone. "Yet, we still possess a means to avert this convergence. Totally..."

Her words bore a weight that matched her 'totally'. I met her gaze with a grave expression, prompting her to elaborate further. "I can harness all remaining magic within me, channeling the strength of the Galaxy Dragon. My calculations suggest that with our combined might, we can obliterate this world. However..."

"We will forfeit our lives," I concluded, the answer stark and undeniable. It was an obvious conclusion. With no means of returning to our planet—Airi's wings were lost, and my clearance abilities depleted—we were trapped in this desperate scenario. Destroying the Underworld would seal our fate just as surely as if we did nothing, as the collision itself would be our end.

Summoning optimism from the depths of my being, I forced a smile and scratched my head. My words held a touch of gentle levity as I addressed my love. "Well, Necross and Dragunov are no more. The Dragonoid Rights Law has finally come to fruition. The enmity between dragonoids and humans is bound to wane. We've achieved quite a feat in our time, haven't we?"

"Totally!" Airi's cheer resonated, her spirits lifted. "I've always wanted to try a lover's suicide. This seems like the perfect moment for us!"

In an unexpected move, Airi cupped my face in her hands, drawing me into a tender and passionate kiss. I held her close, the intensity of the embrace reflecting the depth of our feelings. Amidst it all, I placed my hand over my glowing chest, and in that pause, I whispered the command.

"Dracaryx. Activate Yggdrasil Fall."

Abruptly, nine distinct planets manifested around the Underworld, each identical in size to the underworld itself. These celestial bodies collided with a magnitude that shook the very foundations of reality. An impact of unfathomable strength ensued, incinerating the planets and reducing them to trillions of dust particles that rained down upon Alterra in the form of minuscule meteorites. The shockwave was of unparalleled ferocity, obliterating all ten planets into oblivion.

The realm of the wicked was no more.

When I reopened my eyes, Airi was there, her smile radiant and captivating. Once again, we found ourselves within the expanse of white nothingness, yet I was certain—it was the other side, the realm beyond life.

Airi stood before me, her adorable face a canvas of emotions. Every nuance of her features, from her blushing cheeks to her vibrant ruby eyes, was etched into my memory. Her silky red hair danced with an ethereal grace as she stepped closer, her gaze a testament of affection.

Her soft, white hands extended toward me, cradling something infinitely precious. A handkerchief, the same one I had given her as children. A hair ornament she had cherished for years, encapsulating the myriad memories we had shared. The significance of the gesture was overwhelming.

"Take it," Airi's words resonated, her smile a beacon of warmth and sincerity.

Without hesitation, I accepted the handkerchief into my grasp. Yet, her voice carried further, a sorrowful confession that cast a shadow over the moment.

"I'm sorry, Amphy. Totally. I apologize for lying again. I cannot let you perish alongside me."

As I unfurled the handkerchief, my touch met a disc-like object—an object I soon recognized as a fully charged shield plate.

Memories resurfaced, her declaration echoing in my ears as her tears glistened in the light. "I've told you before, right? I'll guard you with my heart and soul. I'll relinquish everything—my life, my aspirations—just to ensure your safety and happiness. Totally!"

"No!" My voice cracked, the despair evident in my tone. "I don't want you to face this alone! I—I won't find happiness without you, Airi! So please..."

Her smile, bittersweet and knowing, conveyed a steadfast resolution that words could not sway.

"I love you, Amphere Harrison. Totally!"

Those were her final words. With a surge of strength, she propelled me away from the crumbling abyss of the underworld. In the blink of an eye, I found myself distanced from the woman I loved beyond measure, forced to bear witness as she confronted the cataclysmic explosion.

Tears streamed down my face, my throat constricted with grief. My heart begged to take action—to reach out, to hold her, to shield her from the coming tempest—but the shockwave of the cataclysmic blast had other plans. It thrust me away, casting me further from the one who meant everything to me.

"AIRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!"

My anguished cry echoed through the void, a testament to the pain that had engulfed me, a requiem for a love lost in the throes of sacrifice.

 

0