Chapter 99: ???
56 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 99: ???

Richard Astherson

A few months had passed since the Necross Ascension, and now, at long last, I found myself standing here.

Five kilometers away from the desolated remnants of Vanilla City, a sprawling forest loomed before me, its towering trees acting as guardians for the exotic flora and fauna that thrived within. The gentle whistle of the birds above and the caress of the wind, causing leaves to sway and dance, enveloped me in an absolute serenity.

Right in front of me, a long-forgotten cathedral stood, bearing a striking resemblance to the abandoned church of Guardian's Haven. Its weathered brick walls were adorned with a multitude of vines, yet the entire structure displayed remarkable resilience, as if it were destined to endure for another thousand years.

This cathedral defied detection on any maps or satellites; it was a hidden gem that only unveiled itself when you stood within a meter of it. And now, finally, I stood at its threshold, pondering how such a place could possess the same eerie aura as the demonic cathedral I had encountered before.

Summoning all my strength, I approached the colossal wooden doors and exerted considerable effort to push them open. Their agonizing creak shattered the peaceful atmosphere of the building. But what lay beyond left me in a state of shock.

She was there, truly present.

"Reina..." My lips whispered her name in awe.

 

 

 

 

            She hadn't perished. I had suspected as much. It explained why I still possessed the power to conjure vast and numerous portals without exhausting myself.

Two months had passed since the tragic demise of Amphere and Airelina, and during that time, a portal had opened. Within it, I heard Reina's voice, a summons directing me to this specific time and place. Now, as I stood here, unprepared and struggling to accept that my beloved was not only alive but well.

Within the cathedral's hall, Reina, the blonde beauty I had mourned, reclined gracefully upon a golden throne. In her hand, an expensive wine rested within a crystal glass. Her emerald eyes sparkled with delight at our reunion, yet beneath that happiness, there lurked a more sinister undertone.

"How did you—" I began, but my resplendent knight interjected.

"I managed to open a portal just before the Titan dragonoid's body exploded," she explained. "Her hold on me weakened, allowing my escape. This is why you buried the wrong person. Who's to say, perhaps you interred an unfortunate bystander, in the wrong place at the wrong time." She paused, sighing. "As I fled, I was randomly transported to this place."

My gaze wandered, taking in the surroundings, and I couldn't help but notice that this was no ordinary ruined cathedral. Human-sized dragon statues, crowned with ram horns, stood sentinel throughout the hall. It was as if I had stumbled upon a miniature version of the very same demonic cathedral that had haunted my previous encounters.

Reina's words flowed with a mixture of sadness and determination as she continued to speak.

"It's a bitter truth that I'm still alive, and none of these events surprise me. They are all part of a grand design. In the coming years, new players will enter the stage, but the power will ultimately rest in our hands. People believe in the illusion of absolute peace, but the moment you topple one enemy, another, often more sinister, rises to seize power and take their place. The more things seem to change, the more they remain the same. That's the undeniable reality of this world."

"Amphere sacrificed himself for the freedom of the dragonoids, and I intend to ensure that the fruits of his sacrifice are not in vain. But when it comes to preserving this world, it's a different story."

Reina paused for a moment, her gaze reflecting a deep contemplation.

"I've spent days trying to decipher the true meaning of Necross Ascension. The Underworld can be resurrected once more. The failure of the previous attempt was due to Dragunov's leadership, but I am different. I possess the intellect and the strength to execute the plan. I have the power of the Vesryn Pulse coursing through my bloodline, along with my most cherished dragonoid. I am determined to bring the Underworld back to this troubled world."

With a gesture of invitation, she extended her hand toward me.

"Will you join me, my dear Richard?"

.

.

.

.

.

.

"I will," I declared resolutely.

With a firm and unwavering resolve, I extended my right palm, revealing the Mark of Vesryn. Then, I took Reina's hand in mine, sealing our commitment to the path she had laid out before us.

[Vesryn Pulse – End]

0