Chapter 2
50 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Sorry, I only have some eggs and sausage in the fridge. I planned to buy my groceries after school,” I said.

“It’s fine. I prefer breakfast anyway,” Thea said as she took the pan hanging on the wall and placed it on the stove, heating it. “I’ll make some coffee later.” She reached into the cupboard and pulled out an empty bottle of cooking oil, causing me to grimace.

“Ah, I used it all this morning,” I said in an apologetic tone.

Thea, who hates doing chores, was now in my dorm preparing our dinner, and I didn’t know how to feel about it. I always did the chores, even in Thea’s dorm room, so this shift in dynamics felt unfamiliar. I hadn’t done my groceries yet, it made me look like the lazy one.

Thea turned her head and fixed her eyes on me, as if to say that I should have told her earlier. “Wow, you are so prepared for today,” she said in a sarcastic tone.

“Hey, just so you know, I have my day planned out all the time, and any deviation throws me off,” I defended myself. “I guess no breakfast for dinner.”

I smiled, maintaining my posture as I gazed at the dark, empty room. It took a few seconds longer than usual before I could see Thea’s smile, making me confused.

“—pretty strict with your time,” she remarked.

I shrugged, not hearing the full context, but it made me look like I listened.

Gaining a power that always plans for my future it made me struggle to react to sudden changes. It didn’t help that deviating from a pre-planned future left me stranded, unable to navigate my surroundings. Reconstructing the future and the present took time, and the further I strayed, the longer it took to regain my senses.

She went to another cupboard. “Well, at least you have some cereal and milk,” she said as retrieved a carton of milk and a box of cornflakes.

“Wait, you were serious about breakfast?” I asked. Thea’s face blurred for a moment.

It differed from what I had seen in the clinic. Thea had ordered takeout, scheduled to arrive at 7:49 pm, forcing us to consume junk food beforehand. She ranted at first, but started laughing later.

“Maybe?” She smiled before putting the cereal and milk on the table. She went back to get bowls and spoons.

“Then you should start brewing the coffees first.”

Thea paused and turned to face me. “You’re right.”

She changed direction and picked up my electric kettle, filling it with water, and went back to her original task. I looked at my watch, which read 5:26 pm. I added two minutes, muttering to remind Thea later.

My back relaxed into the comfort of my pink couch as I waited. It had been quite some time since I could recall being served by someone else. I closed my eyes and my ears picked up the subtle noises, the clinking of bowls and spoons, the whirring of the kettle, and the sound of footsteps tapping on the floor. It created a pleasant ambiance, making me smile as I draw parallels to my fond memories.

After a while, I started hearing echoed and muffled sounds, as if I were underwater. The dulled whir of a machine stopped before I heard an echoing click. I opened my eyes and saw Thea’s blurry, smiling face. “Finished wandering around Lalaland?” she asked, her voice muffled but still understandable.

“Thea, the kettle,” I replied.

“Ah, right,” she said, her voice becoming crystal clear.

I watched as my scatterbrained friend rose from her seat and headed straight to the kettle. She stopped, then turned to grab the mugs and returned to the kettle. After emptying the contents of three packets of decaf coffee, she went back to retrieve three tablespoons for stirring. She picked up the three mugs and carried them to the glass table, taking cautious steps.

“Just get a tray. You might spill them over,” I suggested.

“Nah, I can handle them,” Thea dismissed the idea. She walked all the way to the glass table and placed the mugs with rabbit images in front of me, avoiding any spills. I picked up one mug with my left hand, blew on the surface to cool it down, and took a sip.

I placed my steaming mug on the glass table before my hand retrieved the book sitting beside me. I pushed my power to perceive the future by a quarter of a second. My thumb mimicked the action as it sliced through a page, opening it to where I left. Once done, I brought my perception back to the present.

“Don’t you have other hobbies besides reading all day?” Thea asked as I turned a page.

“I also watch some drama series, if that’s what you mean.”

“What do you watch?” Thea perked up.

“Currently, I’ve been watching...” I trailed off, realizing that all the shows I watched had a cheesy romance in them. “Some animal documentaries,” I said. My mind scrambled, but it kept remembering a short video of a bird feeding her chicks instead. I couldn’t read, as the letters became blurry.

“That’s not a drama series.” I lifted my book, blocking my face as it heated up.

“Oh, come on! Put the book down and let’s talk about those drama series you’ve been watching.”

“What’s wrong with reading books?” I asked in a slightly raised voice.

“I’m bored before I even lift the second page. I want to fantasize with you about how awesome it would be to enroll in a magic school full of wizards and yell ‘fireball’ while waving our hands.” Despite the book covering my face, I could see her animated hands. “So can we talk about those drama series you watched? I just want to have fun with my bestie.”

My mind went blank for a moment. I pressed the page against my face and began chanting.

Do not steal. Do not lie. Do not deceive one another.

...

“What?”

“I, the Immortal, will Love You for Eternity,” I muttered as my face burned up.

“Oh... We are so going to watch that.” I didn’t have to see her smile, a very punchable one.

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

I heard a ping from my pocket. I did not put my book down before pulling out my phone and reading the time and notification. The screen read, “Jonathan requests access to the door of Room 34.” I tapped the notification and a confirmation prompt appeared. I tapped the accept button and then checked the time again.

I heard a clicking sound in front of me. Lowering my book a bit, I saw a man with military-style hair and a neatly trimmed beard ducking through the door. He was holding a paper bag in his large arm, a collection of junk food and soda drinks, peeking out over the top of the bag.

“You’re early.” Thea said in a sarcastic voice as she smiled. He smiled back before shrugging.

“Someone broke in and destroyed the reader.” The man said in a deep voice. He closed the door and shifted the paper bag to his left hand. He held his arm with a rolled sleeve over the door panel. It scanned his wrist and made a beep before displaying “Jonathan entered”. My phone made a pinging sound and displayed “Jonathan entered Room 34”. My eyes glanced at the time before pocketing it.

“Had to ride the elevator further down and access the ATM, paid in cash,” he continued.

“Was anything stolen?” I asked, already knowing the answer, “Were you attacked?” while Thea asked another question with a concerned voice.

“No to both,” he said as he walked while glancing at Thea. “It happened this morning, so no, I didn’t meet him,” he clarified. Then, he turned to me and continued, “Apart from the broken window and reader, nothing was stolen.” He placed the bag down on the table.

“The surveillance camera captured a man with a cap and a bandana over his mouth. He hit the reader many times with a bat before scrambling out as the alarm blared.”

“Has the perpetrator been caught, or at least identified?” I asked. I noticed that the book I had used to cover my face was now on the table.

“No,” Jonathan sat down next to Thea. She moved closer and leaned on his arm.

“They need a life. They borderline harassed a neutral old man.” Thea frowned. “It’s just business, branded people are also potential customers. It’s not like he’s supporting the Old Order or anything.”

“Yeah, I felt bad for him, didn’t even blame me.” His head had looked left and right before he turned to Thea. “Cornflakes?”

Thea asked, “Yes, do you like the meal I prepared?” Jonathan snorted and Thea laughed.

“I like it,” he said, taking the carton of milk and tearing it open. He poured milk into his bowl and then into ours. I closed my eyes and silently prayed. After my prayer, I glanced at my watch before picking up my spoon.

“Did she bother you too much?” Jonathan asked me.

“Hey.”

“I’m fine, already used to her antics,” I said, “and she did an okay job making our breakfast.” It made Jonathan snort again.

“I can see that,” he scooped another cereal. “Would you mind if we watch ‘Evening Hour with Anne’ while we eat?”

“I don’t mind,” I replied. I reached for my phone and opened the Residence and Service (R&S) app. After selecting the TV control, the embedded screen on the wall lit up. As I glanced at the time displayed—6:02 pm—I pocketed my phone. The TV screen showed a blonde woman in a white dress, speaking on Channel 12.

“Tomorrow, we will be celebrating our annual ‘Liberation Day’ event. We are honored to have a special guest with us, a true hero who was present during the siege against Supreme Order’s last stronghold. This formidable supervillain ruled the world for 50 years! Our guest hero wielded a lightning-tipped spear, capable of bringing down thousands, and a shield that protected fellow heroes from cannons and rockets. Please join me in giving a big round of applause to our hero of the day, Phalanx!” The woman began to clap, and the crowd seated in front of the stage followed suit.

The camera panned to the right, revealing a man in a full-body suit with bronze armor, only his stoic mouth uncovered. It captured him walking toward the stage before sitting down on the other couch next to the speaker. She held out her hand to Phalanx for a handshake.

“Jonathan, do you hate the heroes for defeating Supreme Order?” I asked, my gaze fixed on his blurred face until it returned to normal.

“I don’t. It had to be done, but my parents hated it, which is why I left in the first place.”

“But why didn’t you scrub off your brand? It’s free.” I looked at his blurry-sleeved wrist.

“I still believe the Old Order was better, but I will not cause problems because of what I believe. I would just be a hypocrite if I did.” He raised his hand to rub his nape. “But I scrubbed the brand off my neck. I can’t walk if people punched me right away.”

“I see.”

I heard laughter and turned my head to see Phalanx patting the couch, still chuckling.

“Oh no, you’ve broken character! Now you’ll have to apologize before they shut you down,” the blonde woman exclaimed, her voice filled with exaggerated worry.

Phalanx waved his hand away.

“If they do, then they are not real fans of mine, and if they are the only fans I have, then I would rather have none.”

“Wow, those are some bold statements you made,” she exclaimed, her face showing surprise.

“I’m sorry, Anne, but I have been criticized left and right as if I were some kind of dress-up doll they can shape into whatever they want. No, I am me because I am me. I fought against Supreme Order’s empire. I will not allow villains like him to dictate my life, my future, because I am my own dictator,” he said. His posture was slouched on the couch, but he still carried that intimidation with him.

“I’m sorry, Anne, but I’ve faced criticism from all sides, as if I were a dress-up doll they could mold however they pleased. But no, I am who I am, which is why I fought against Supreme Order’s empire. I refuse to let villains like him dictate my life and future, because I am my own dictator,” he explained. Despite his slouched posture on the couch, he still exuded a sense of intimidation.

“But that doesn’t mean I can’t be serious. I can be your friend, your pal, your buddy, or even your best friend when we are just chilling. But when an event calls for action, I will become your most trusted hero.”

The people on stage began to clap and howl their approval. Anne clapped as well.

“That was an amazing speech.” Anne smiled.

“It should. My image consultant made sure I memorized it.”

“Should you say that?”

Phalanx raised his arms and shrugged. “I guess I’ll get chewed out.”

People started laughing. Thea as well.

“As much as I want to know more about that, we got sidetracked. Let’s refocus back on Liberation Day and discuss why it’s crucial for us to remember this day before my producers dock my pay.”

People laughed again.

“As I said before...” Phalanx began the most boring explanation imaginable. It was so dull that even Anne couldn’t make it entertaining to watch. I glanced at my watch again, and it still showed 6:19 pm.

“Can we watch something else?” Thea asked.

“Sure, what do you want?” Jonathan asked. Thea looked at me and smiled.

I grimaced.

“I, the Immortal, will Love You for Eternity,” Thea said. In my mind, I had already punched her face a thousand times before I dug a hole and buried myself.

“Sure,” Jonathan said before turning his head towards me. “If it’s fine with you.”

I sighed, “It’s fine,” I said. Lifting the phone with my hand, I navigated to a streaming app. I selected “Watchlist” which brought up all 7 pages of series I had highlighted. I scrolled down to select the series and started the first episode.

I realized something, and it was too late. The TV displayed my entire watchlist before I selected the series. I looked at Thea and she had the most punchable face ever.

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

I glued my head to the screen and did my best to enjoy the show. And it did. It hooked us, making me forget my urge to hit Thea. My eyes glued to the screen while Thea kept making squeaky noises as we binge-watched the show. Forgetting about the flow of time.

“Thea, it’s time to go,” Jonathan said.

“Just one more episode!”

“No, you already said that. We have to go. It’s getting late,” I nodded in agreement with Jonathan, stealing a quick glance at my watch, which only confirmed his statement. It was well past 10 pm. “You need to sleep. The festival always wraps up at midnight. You’ll feel tired tomorrow.”

Thea pouted but relented. “Fine,” she said before turning her head to me. “I’ll borrow your bathroom.” She didn’t wait for my response and went away at a fast pace.

I sighed and smiled.

“You have a very eccentric friend.”

“I’m more surprised that you two are still together,” I said before turning to him, “and I have to apologize for doubting you. I really wanted Thea to break up with you at first.”

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

“No need to apologize, kids run when they saw me. I look like a gang member.”

I smiled at him. “Just make her happy, okay?”

Jonathan snorted. “You sounded like a parent blessing me with your daughter.”

I groaned.

“Hey Jane, let’s watch it again later.” Thea interrupted. I turned to see her approaching us.

“Okay.” I yawned.

“Let’s go Thea.” Jonathan turned his head towards me. “Goodbye Janette.”

“Bye,” I waved.

“See you again on Monday, Jane.” She yawned too before holding her phone to the door panel while Jonathan presented his wrist. The door clicked and opened before they walked out. The panel emitted a sound and displayed, “Thea Allison and Jonathan left.” My phone vibrated in my pocket, but I didn’t bother taking it out.

I pivoted on my heels. I was about to go straight to my bed, but stopped before heading to the bookshelf. Between two books, I pulled out a laminated paper. It had some strange symbols printed on it with 4 columns and 6 rows. Behind the books, I took out a reader.

I went to my computer and booted it up. My hand moved to connect the reader to the USB port before I sat on a chair. Once the screen booted, I glanced at the time before I hovered my mouse to the search box and typed “dbase brand” which shows an application. I clicked it and black-painted my screen with red text in the middle, displaying “Scan a Brand”. I took the paper and scanned the 24 lines of symbols.

One by one, a gray image of a 9-10-year-old child with a single-word label appeared until my reader reached the last one, which showed an adult female instead. I put the paper down before my right hand held my hair and moved it to the right. My other hand moved the reader to my nape.

A colorful image of me appeared with two words that read “Janette Halls” instead of one.

“Sorry I’m late. I won’t stay long.” I recounted my day while I kept looking at the adult female image labeled Janice. This kept on a bit but shorter than usual.

I placed my phone on the small desk next to my bed. On the table, I pulled the string switch on the lampshade to light the room before pulling the drawer of the table. Inside, my fingers took hold of an old book titled “Bible”, full of wear and tear. But I kept it anyway because it was the only possession I had from mom.

After days of flipping through the same two pages, my thumb sliced through one. My eyes focused on Matthew 27, which recounted the tale of Judas, consumed by grief and remorse. He returned the money he had received for betraying Jesus before taking his own life, ending his anguish.

My thumb sliced through another, revealing a half-torn page. It made the whole chapter of John 17 unreadable, but I only needed half the paper to read verse 12. It talks about the disciples receiving protection, all except the betrayer, because he was condemned.

His condemnation led to many theories. Some say it was his betrayal and unwillingness to change. Others would say it was his act to escape his grief. I didn’t have the knowledge or the intellect to know which. But I wanted to believe that the other one was right. I put the book back in its drawer.

I knelt on the floor with my elbows on the bed and my hands folded. I closed my eyes and prayed, “I thank you that I have lived another fruitful day...”

The morning sun streamed through the curtains. I groaned and sat up. My left arm moved to rub the crust that had formed on my eyes. I still felt tired. I could feel the nagging pain in my temple as my two fingers rubbed it. My right hand moved and saw 7:12 am.

I sat up and fixed my bed before praying for another fruitful day. I took in the fresh air, ready to begin my day, when I realized that my senses were still dulled for quite a long time, but not cut off. I detached my perception to see the cause, and it showed that I should prepare for my morning jog despite my sprained ankle.

Annoyed, I said, “No jogging when my foot is injured.” This added a new rule to my previously established morning routine. The blurring stopped.

Satisfied, I checked what my whole day would be like. I fast-forwarded through my future events. My day would consist of sitting in front of my computer, surfing the media, ordering some pizza, watching a drama series, listening to a hero give a speech, and reading a novel in my bed at night. I got used to staying indoors for the day.

I was about to end my future viewing after future me had fallen asleep when she woke up in the middle of the night. She picked up the ringing phone and checked the caller’s name with one eye. The screen displayed 11:58 pm, and Jonathan.

“Hello.” I heard a hoarse voice.

“Janette...” his voice trailed off.

“Yes?”

“Janette, I want you to listen to me very carefully and then try to stay calm. Do you understand me, Janette?”

“Jonathan? What’s going on?” I could hear the tension in the voice rising.

“Do you understand me, Janette?”

“YES. Now tell me what’s going on?”

“Janette... your friend,” Jonathan breathed, “Thea is dead.”

“What?” both I and the future Jane exclaimed.

2