Chapter 5
14 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Outside the tinted glass, I watched the concrete block buildings arranged in an orderly fashion, blurred from one end of the glass to the other. From time to time I saw a dashboard with a letter and numbers like C125-20, C124-20, and C123-20, which felt like a countdown. The sound of the wheels on the asphalt was pleasant and less squeaky than the sound of wheels I heard in the 2000s movies.

“Why is Thea’s death unnatural?” I heard a voice, curious rather than worried.

I wondered as well.

“That’s the problem, girl.” Neck turned, and I saw the rearview mirror reflecting Gibson’s eyes. “Irregulars were almost unkillable, either dodging a hail of bullets or surviving a rocket blast unscathed.”

An eyebrow raised.

“That’s... abnormal indeed.”

“It is. Like bad action films, enforcers trained to aim could not land a single shot. Irregulars don’t just die because of a random bullet, it had to be a last word with a gun pointed at their head. A death had to be dramatic.”

“I see...” the voice trailed off.

“You get it, yeah?”

I felt the fingers tighten around the soft cloth.

“... Yes, he didn’t mention one, but that might be because of his vow.”

“But what if it wasn’t because of a vow?” Gibson asked with a smile on his face. “Betrayals are also dramatic.”

I felt a chill.

“No, he didn’t.” It took a year for Jonathan to earn my trust. He won’t just betray Thea when he never raised a single finger to my best friend before.

“It’s hypothetical.”

I felt the head getting hotter and heavier.

“No, Jona—” mouth clamped shut before feeling the air move in and out of the nose, “he will never betray my best friend.”

He smirked.

“I am very good at judging people and I can tell—you don’t.”

The left hand moved, clutching at something metallic underneath the cloth.

“And why would you know? When was the last time you drove… my friend?”

“Hmmmm. Who is this friend of yours?” he asked with a smile. “I hate to assume.”

Teeth gritted.

“Jonathan.”

He laughed.

“Aren’t you a brave girl?” he asked. “Gathering as much intel as possible for our eavesdropping friend, yeah? But girl, you aren’t the only one with values. It’s hard to get trust if I started snitching.”

“You—but you said you would help.”

“Girl, just because you can see through time means the same for everyone. This is my reality, and I love myself. If I had your power, I would flip a middle finger and stare at it.”

“Whatever.”

The head spun around, looking out the tinted glass window at a blurred landscape of buildings arranged in an ordered, almost uniform fashion. The diaphragm expanded, sucking in the air before deflating and pushing it out. I could feel the temperature on my head dropping and getting lighter with each breath.

There was a noticeable increase in the number of people roaming the streets. Most of them wore a costume like a child I had seen wearing smaller and less shiny bronze armor of Phalanx. I didn’t know if the future me noticed, but this felt more peaceful than what I was used to hearing from the Central district. All I heard were the fights, the missing, the robberies, the vandalism, and other nasty rumors.

I had imagined the Central District to be more like my childhood district.

“Perfect day, isn’t it?” I heard his voice, but I felt no movement. “I would also choose this day for a meeting. After all, everyone’s wearing a costume,” Gibson said. “And also for a disturbance.”

I felt the hand tightening around the metal. “Are you sure it’s around 11:00 pm?”

“It had become an annual spectacle for a clash between heroes and villains. A meeting during the speech and a fight during the parade. People attend to watch the villains try to disrupt the event, but fail spectacularly.”

He shrugged.

“Well, we could only guess. Someone forgot to surf through social media.”

Eyebrows furrowed.

“I don’t like talking to strangers,” Head swirled, meeting the eyes at the mirror, “and I panicked. I can’t waste any more time.”

He snorted.

“You don’t have to create an account, just skim. They are idiots and I hate talking to idiots, but they are far faster and more truthful than the actual news agency. And they can get reeeeeally close to a fight.”

‘I can’t believe I’m asking this,’ I heard a mumble before feeling a deep breath.

“Does the unnaturalness protect them as well?”

“Good, you’re finally digesting it.” Eyebrows crinkled further and it hurt a bit. “Unless the villain allows a killing, then yes.”

“The villain?”

“They set the tone and theme of the fight, and the heroes play around it, trained for it. That’s why vigilantes are banned, because they don’t know how to handle important situations, and they are too prideful.” Gibson moved his head, reflecting his eyes. “You’re not stupid. We both know this meeting is a gathering of villains.” He smiled before looking back down the street.

“So… you want me to investigate the tone and… theme as well?”

“Yes, depending on those two, a random bullet can kill. Irregulars can die if a battle is chaotic and full of bloodshed, but it’s a rare one, as even villains hate the idea of dying. But if it’s a game of robbers and cops, then we can conclude that it’s safe and something dramatic will happen instead.”

“Like the betrayal.”

“Yes, you are taking it well this time.”

“It doesn’t have to be Jonathan. It’s a gathering, after all. Also, those are not the only dramatic deaths. Like a self sacrifice.”

He smiled

“Good, be smarter. I like smart people.”

I felt the hairs stand up as the air conditioning fan blew into the arms. The thin fabric of the costume provided little insulation. The left hand moved to tap the gear symbol behind the headrest of the front seat. I felt the sleeve slide down a bit, its smooth fabric caressing the white skin. A gloved finger tapped and navigated through the functions until I saw the temperature slider. It slid toward the center. Eyes landed on the top right corner and read 4:12 pm.

Head turned back to look at the window again before noticing something unusual.

C29-20, C28-20, C27-20...

“Wait, we already went past C47-23! Where are you taking me!?”

I felt the left hand pull the zipper down before pulling out the heavy object and pointing it at the headrest. I also panicked when I noticed where the gun was pointed before it was holstered back. Air came out of the nose.

“Why are we going further west?”

“You have a bad temper but good self-control, girl. I commend you.”

I could feel the teeth grinding. I too wanted him to shut up just once before I put mufflers in his mouth and bury the body alive.

“I am taking you directly to the meeting. I blame him for failing to disclose it to you, but you should hide from the public. Authorities love to wear diviners like trinkets, it makes their hissing tongues sound human.”

“But everyone’s wearing a costume. I could see the same costume on the street.”

“Have you seen a hero on any devices?”

“… Phalanx… last night.”

“What did you feel from him?”

What did I feel? I remembered his casual demeanor, leaning back on the couch as he joked around. Still, I was…

“Intimidated.”

He smiled.

“While yours? I felt judged. Every move I made was being scrutinized.”

“You are being ironic—”

“No, you are just bad at it.”

He looked back at the road.

“But that doesn’t mean it can’t be learned. It took Libra some time to judge with precision and time is your friend.” He smiled again. “Also, costume helps.”

An eyebrow raised.

“So costume has some effects as well?”

“Yes, which is why irregulars don’t wear their costume during transportation. Only a mask and it’s a cheap one.”

His smile grew wider.

“I didn’t even know who Jonathan was before.”

I felt a shudder.

“We’re here.”

I could feel my heart racing as the vehicle tilted and descended the concrete slope to the parking level. Eyes peering out the tinted glass window, I noticed the lack of vehicles parked in the area. Lights illuminated the area, with no cracks found on the columns and walls, making it brighter and more vibrant. Throughout the ride to the Central district, it felt the same.

The engines turned off and everyone got out. My vision kept hovering around.

“Were you expecting graffiti or something?”

My vision set on him. I could feel the gun with the fingers.

“I… had been to Central district before. Everything looked… nicer now.”

“Not visiting much, yeah?”

I felt no reaction. Gibson shrugged.

“Overseers kept it clean every time an event happens and they even borrow some enforcers from other districts.”

“… Liberation Day?”

He didn’t answer, just pulled out a cigarette and lit it. I felt the eyebrows furrow—mine as well. He puffed on a cigarette and I felt a foot stepping back, grimacing as the pain seared the ankle.

He chuckled.

“They had to keep up the image. After all, they get paid extra if they do a great job, and another as long as people see it as the primary district of Area 45.”

“Then why not do their jobs at all times?”

“Girl, authorities aren’t the only ones paying extra.”

“Disappointed? That’s human nature,” he said as he puffed another smoke.

I could smell the nicotine, and the body reacted, doing its best to expel the smell. It dared not cough, but I could hear the wheezing from the nose.

“Are we going or what?”

He chuckled before flicking the cigarette, which sailed through the air before going into the trash can. An eyebrow raised before looking back at Gibson, who was already heading for the elevator. Feet lifted, following behind him, walking with a straight body and both hands in his pockets. I felt the neck rise and saw his well-combed hair.

Each step of the left foot sent a painful signal, but the future me continued to walk with confidence as well, matching his fast pace. Fingers trembled as both hands grasped the cloth that stretched from my collar to just above my feet when I stood. Fingers tensed when I felt a solid object before tightening around it.

Feet stepped into the elevator, and the door closed before he hit the F5 button. I felt a slight bump before being lifted. The vision never left Gibson, as I could see almost the entire room while the fingers tightened on the solid object. Heart raced faster and faster.

He smiled.

“Nervous?”

“Very.”

“Good.” His hand reached under his coat. The hand reacted by unzipping before stopping. His hand revealed a black object.

“This is a taser gun, I assume you know how to use one, yeah? Just pull the trigger and the released prong will down a person. That should be easy to understand.”

He spun it so I saw the handle instead.

“Take it. It only has 4 canisters loaded, but each one packs enough to disable an irregular, and since it is not a lethal weapon, it has a higher chance of hitting.”

He shrugged before walking closer.

I could feel the hand fumbling with the gun but didn’t pull it out. Heart pounded faster and faster. And the head felt heavier and heavier. My vision wasn’t on the Taser anymore but on his smug face.

“D-don’t come any closer.”

He didn’t as he kept walking.

“You’re a coward,” he said as he stopped in front. I felt the neck craning to see his looming face. “And that’s okay. Fear tells you something’s wrong, but you have a terrible reaction. You should have pointed that gun right now. You are not good in tense situations.”

I could feel the body wilting as he gaze down.

I watched as I felt him pulling the right hand before placing the taser. He unbuckled his belt, removed the gun from its holster and placed it under his coat. He buckled the belt around my waist, took the taser back, and holstered it at the right side.

“Keep it.”

My vision remained on his face before I felt the right hand move to rotate the holster closer to the left, but was stopped by his hand.

“As Debbora, you will use your right hand as the dominant while keeping your left hand close to your leg. Keep the zipper open, the unnaturalness will hide it,” he said as he rotated the taser back. “This is just a distraction and a natural deterrent. It’s not for villains.”

My vision looked at the right hand and felt the firmness of his hand.

“Do not believe the nonsense that heroes advertise about having personalities close to describing them. That’s how they live longer as a hero. Separate from it as much as possible and understand how unnaturalness works. That way you’ll live longer,” he said. My vision moved to his face and saw his smile forming. “Be smarter. I prefer smart people.”

“By the way, stop grabbing the gun under your cloth. It creates an outline.” I felt the left-hand release before it clenched into thin air.

“Why… are you helping me?”

“You want my honesty? The current you may die.”

I felt the body tense.

“Remember what I said about Irregulars not dying unless it was dramatic? It’s not the same with villains. Accidents can happen when working with deranged lunatics because they like to be seen as strong, scary, cool or whatever image they wanted. Treat every encounter as a life or death situation.”

“You may be just a front-liner for our eavesdropping friend, but I won’t get any extra payment if you die right now.”

“Is… that really your reason?”

He snorted.

The door opened, and he walked out. Legs raised, following behind him.

“Match my pacing and walk beside me. You are doing great, ignoring the pain,” he said while walking down the hallway, slower. It was almost devoid of people as I saw the receptionist and two sweeping bots roaming around the tiled patterned floor.

I felt the legs being lifted faster and the pain being more noticeable.

“My advice? Show confidence and don’t make yourself look stupid or pitiful. That’s how you get targeted. Your friends are strong, but you are not.”

“But… I have to find them.”

He sighed through his nose.

“If she is as kind as you describe, then you don’t have to,” he said. “Kid. Aren’t you afraid?”

“I… am—”

“Then don’t.” I could feel the right hand clutching at the taser. Heart still beating fast.

“You will see and hear more by living longer.” He said as he continued to look at the reception desk with no change on his face. “Be more selfish.”

2