Chapter 3
48 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The villagers were taken aback when we strolled through with a corpse; there were a few gagging noises, which I totally understood, and some cheering, which was pretty embarrassing. As expected, Lyra simply waved and grinned at everyone. We arrived at the inn, where Lars wrinkled his nose at the smell of the corpse, but was nonetheless happy to see us. We received our reward, which was a small pouch of coins. Lyra thanked him and we were soon off to Creston. Although I had wanted to take some time to recover, Lyra was adamant that we had to keep moving.

She mumbled something about monsters in the woods being the least of her worries. We traveled much more quickly on the road, and it gave me enough mental space to practice a bit of magic. I conjured small illusions as we went - a stone hovering above my hand, a key, and, just for fun, a bagel. Lyra looked bemused at my efforts but didn't comment, and by nightfall, I felt completely drained.

Lyra took care of everything that night and told me to relax and focus on recovery. We enjoyed a better meal than our previous stale fare; the innkeeper had not been stingy with our travel rations. We reached the outskirts of Creston at midday the next day, having moved faster than I had thought possible on foot. We hadn't run or anything, but Lyra had set a steady pace that simply ate up the miles.

My eyes widened in wonder as the city of Creston came into view. The high white walls surrounding the city stood tall and imposing, but at the same time, they were adorned with intricate patterns and engravings that spoke of the city's rich history. In the center of the city, I saw a magnificent castle with several spires that seemed to touch the sky. The architecture of the buildings he could see beyond the walls was reminiscent of medieval European architecture, with their pointed roofs and intricate stonework.

As we approached the gates, I noticed that the streets were bustling with activity. Merchants shouted their wares, children ran around, and people from all walks of life went about their daily business. The scent of fresh bread wafted through the air, mingling with the sounds of horses trotting on the cobblestone streets. Despite the hustle and bustle, there was a certain air of calm that he found reassuring.

The guards stationed at the gate eyed us from a distance, but let us pass without any trouble once Lyra displayed her necklace. Although they cast curious glances at me, they didn't stop us. "Lyra, did you notice how the guards were looking at me?" I asked as soon as we entered the city.

Lyra motioned towards my attire and replied, "Well, you're covered in blood and bandages, David. Without me, they would have taken you in for questioning."

I examined myself and cringed at the sight of my disheveled appearance.

Lyra chuckled at my reaction and added, "We'll get you a change of clothes soon, but first we need to report to the guild."

I furrowed my brows in confusion and said, "I thought we were heading straight to Isabel?"

Lyra hesitated for a moment before responding, "Yes, we are, but I have check in with the guild first."

I shrugged, indifferent to the change in plans, and followed Lyra's lead. Despite the stares we received, I remained focused on keeping up with Lyra's brisk pace.

The city sprawled before us, and Lyra led us towards a massive building that reminded me of an Earthly garage. Six enormous double doors faced us, with a ticket booth nestled between the two centermost ones. After a brief conversation with the attendant, Lyra secured us seats in a floating carriage drawn by a pair of horses. But these were no ordinary horses; they towered over any I'd ever seen, and instead of a mane, they boasted rows of bony spikes along their necks. Lyra explained that the carriages were rentable, and could be found at various locations throughout the city, like a magical medieval taxi service. The carriages were enchanted to hover about half a meter above the ground, making for the most comfortable ride I'd ever experienced, like gliding on a cloud.

As the carriage floated towards our destination, the driver informed us we had arrived after half an hour. We disembarked, and I found myself facing a grand wooden building.

The Knights of the Open Road guild building stood tall and proud, with three stories of massive wooden beams that seemed to layered on top of eachother. The pillars supporting the structure were raw logs, and there was a balcony on the second floor overlooking the square, where a grand fountain stood with a statue of a man and a wolf-like creature at its center. The wooden exterior of the building was well-maintained, with intricate carvings and details etched into the wood. The guild's emblem, a sword and shield crossed over a map of the world, was proudly displayed above the entrance, welcoming all who sought entry within its walls.

Lyra flashed her signature grin as she caught me gaping at the sight of the grand building. "Impressive, right? Better close that mouth though, or you might catch a fly," she teased.

I snapped out of my trance and nodded in agreement. As we made our way through the double doors, the shiny wooden surfaces and elegant decor reminded me of a modern hunting lodge for billionaires. On one side was a cozy sitting area with comfortable couches and low tables, while on the other side, a reception area welcomed visitors.

In front of us was a large bar where patrons were busy enjoying food and drinks. As Lyra pulled me along, I noticed a few knowing grins directed her way, but I didn't ask. Behind the bar stood a heavily muscled man whose shirt seemed ready to burst. He had a square, clean-shaven chin, a couple of faint scars on his face, and a bald head that gleamed under the light. His dark complexion contrasted sharply with his brilliant white teeth, which shone as he gave Lyra a fond smile. "Ah, little Lyra!" the man behind the bar boomed. "Where did you run off to? Isabel looked like she was about to blow a gasket earlier."

Lyra grimaced. "Hey, Malik. Yeah, I might have fibbed to her a bit and then got into a sticky situation that delayed me further."

The man grinned broadly. "Looks like she might put you over her knee this time! And who's this pup with you?"

He gestured towards me and Lyra introduced me. "This is David. He got me out of the pickle I mentioned, so the drinks are on me!"

The man nodded in appreciation. "I see. Well, I might just offer you one on the house myself, David. I'm quite fond of little Lyra here, you see."

I smiled politely and thanked him as he placed a large pitcher of some kind of yellow drink in front of me. He poured me a glass, and with only a slight hesitation, I took a sip. It was damn near the most delicious thing I had ever tasted, fruity and refreshing.

"Holy shit, Malik, this is amazing!" I exclaimed.

Malik gave me a knowing smile. "It's my own creation, secret recipe of course," he said, winking at me.

Lyra took a glass and moaned in pleasure. "Damn, I missed this. What's on the menu today, Malik? Actually, I don't care, we'll have two servings!"

Malik chuckled and knocked twice on a window behind him. "Two servings of today's special, Alan!" he called out.

"So, David," Malik said, turning back to me. "Have you ever thought about joining the guild?"

I shrugged. "Haven't given it much thought, no. I haven't really decided if I..."

Lyra interrupted me. "He's joining. He's already accepted my invitation to our team, after all."

I gave Lyra a frown, but she returned it with a grin.

Malik went silent for a moment. "Lyra," he said in a more serious tone. "You might want to talk to the master before you decide stuff like that on your own."

Lyra shrugged. "David has real potential, Malik. And besides, he's been telling us to get a third member for a while now. He even threatened to put us into other teams if we didn't."

Malik looked at her disapprovingly. "Lyra, you know that's not the correct order of things. David needs to complete his initiation before you can officially invite him, and even then the master needs to approve it."

Lyra looked deflated. "I know. But, Malik, no one has accepted our invitations so far, and we need that third member to be recognized as an official team. I don't want to be forced into some random team!"

It would seem Lyra had not been completely honest with me, but honestly, did I even care? We had helped each other over the last week or so, and despite her general craziness, I found that I liked her. Malik turned to me with a serious expression, "David, you can disregard the invitation. You need not feel obliged to follow through on it. Lyra here has not followed proper procedure, and so your acceptance is also invalid."

I shrugged and gave Lyra a small smile, "Oh, I am joining the team, Malik. I will take this initiation thing, and then everything should be fine, right?"

Malik frowned a little but nodded. Lyra, on the other hand, looked quite emotional. That was when we were interrupted by a tall, lanky man with long black hair who called out from behind in a sneering voice, "Ah, so Lyra is bending the rules again? Tsk tsk Lyra, you know you were promised to our team if you couldn't find a third, and so you go and try to recruit some random vagabond? For shame!"

Lyra spun around, her usual carefree demeanor vanishing in an instant. "I would rather leave the guild than join your little team of miscreants, Landvin!" she spat.

Landvin sneered, twirling his rapier at his hip while his two cronies looked on with satisfaction. "After all the guild master has done for you, and you still go around his back, break his rules, and now you plan to disobey his orders? You will be joining us, it is a foregone conclusion. This vagabond of yours is not going to get through the initiation, he's not even level 10 for heaven’s sake!"

More and more people were gathering around now, and a few chuckles could be heard at Landvin’s words. Lyra looked like she was about to either start throwing fire or break down in tears. I knew it was probably a mistake to get involved, but Lyra was my friend, and this guy was obviously an asshole. I stepped up next to her and retorted, "Should someone with hair as greasy as yours really be calling people names?"

The man raised an eyebrow at me. "The cur speaks... Did you train him Lyra, quite the feat. You should teach him to stay quiet when his betters are talking though!"

I was on the verge of lashing out at Landvin when a calm, commanding voice sliced through the murmurs of the crowd. "That's enough," the voice said, its tone sharp as a knife. The chatter fell away all at once, leaving the room eerily quiet. A small, wiry man descended the steps to the main floor. Despite his age, he moved with a confident, authoritative grace. The crowd parted before him, and he strode over to Landvin, locking eyes with the sneering man. "Are you finished, Landvin?" he asked.

Landvin bowed his head and stammered out, "Master, Lyra has been promised to our team. We need a magus, and she's just wasting time."

Lyra paled at Landvin's words, but the master silenced her with a gesture. "I did promise that, Landvin, but your constant antagonizing of her won't work in a team. Rivalries and occasional disagreements are acceptable, but you take it too far," he admonished. Though Landvin appeared to be chastised, I could see a glint of defiance in his eyes.

Turning to Lyra, the master sighed deeply. "Lyra, I fear I've given you and Isabel too much leniency. Now you bring someone uninitiated and claim him as a team member. I've given you plenty of time to find a third member, and that's the bare minimum for a team. I'm afraid I'll have to take you in hand."

Lyra pleaded desperately with the master, "Please, give us one last chance. David has potential. I did not invite him on a whim. At least give him a chance to prove himself before you decide."

The master looked at her pleading face before turning to me, scanning me up and down with a critical eye. He did not seem impressed. "He is not ready for initiation, Lyra. His level is too low, and he will need training before attempting it. That is time I cannot give you, and I will not be accused of favoritism."

Lyra slumped in defeat, and I felt a pang of disappointment. However, a woman's voice cut into the conversation, interrupting the silence. A tall, athletic woman with red hair and beautiful features stepped up next to Lyra. The woman's face was a stoic mask of determination, and though she did not have any visible weapons, there was an air of danger to her that made me take a half step away.

"One month!" she declared. "I will have him ready in a month."

The master focused on the newcomer. "Isabel, you are wasting your potential with all this foolishness. You should be at the top in Creston by now, but you are holding yourself back. I cannot allow it to continue any longer."

Isabel did not back down an inch. "A month, old man! In a month, he will be able to challenge any of these weaklings. Should he, by some miracle, fail after I am done with him, then you can do as you please, and we will both accept your decision without any further hassle."

As she spoke, Isabel gave Lyra a stern gaze, and Lyra seemed to shrink with each word.

I had a foreboding sensation, but voicing my concerns at that moment felt like deliberately provoking an agitated predator. The master scrutinized Isabel for a full minute before finally making a decision, "One month, Isabel!" Landvin immediately started to object, but the master interrupted him ruthlessly, "In one month, the boy will face three opponents for his initiation, Landvin being one of them. If he cannot demonstrate enough proficiency to satisfy me by then, this charade will end!" Despite his anger, they had been given a one-month reprieve. Isabel just nodded and strode over to me, grabbing me by the collar and forcefully leading me towards the exit. I began to object to being manhandled, but Isabel's piercing glare was so intimidating that I quickly corrected my course and allowed myself to be pulled away.

As I was thrown into the floating carriage, my body thumped against the wall and I crashed to the floor. Isabel boarded the carriage, followed by Lyra, and moments later we were off. I groaned and rubbed my sore back before glaring at Isabel. "You didn't have to use so much force, you know."

Isabel didn't even spare me a glance, her attention solely focused on Lyra. "Lyra, why do you keep getting yourself into these situations? And where have you been the last three weeks?"

Lyra winced but gave Isabel a small smile. "Sorry, Isabel. I went off to train for a bit and wanted to be on my own. I was ambushed by slavers and kept in a cell, collared up. It wasn't until David turned up and got me out that we were able to fight our way out."

Isabel's expression darkened, and her voice promised violence. "Slavers? Here?"

Lyra nodded. "I killed a bunch of them as we made our way out. I grabbed a bunch of papers and other stuff. It's in my bag."

Isabel glanced at the bag, and though she seemed ready to tear it open, she resisted the urge. "You killed them? Good. Slavers are scum; they deserve no mercy." Lyra and I both nodded in agreement, and Isabel relaxed a little. She sat back in her seat and gestured to Lyra. "Tell me everything."

Lyra recounted her story from the moment of her capture to our escape. When she looked at me for permission to tell my story, I shrugged, and she proceeded to tell Isabel everything. Isabel looked both shocked and excited when Lyra went into further detail about my situation, but she didn't interrupt. After Lyra was done, we sat in silence for a while. Isabel had a frown on her face as she thought things over, Lyra slumped in the corner of the carriage, and I myself took the chance to look at the city passing by. Creston was a beautiful place, with stunning architecture and people dressed in colorful clothing.

Women wore dresses while men wore suits reminiscent of 1800s nobles in Europe. I had always liked that style and was getting a little excited at the prospect of getting such a set of clothes myself. We crossed over two wide rivers that ran through the city, and the more I saw, the greater the urge became to go out and explore. I was idly wondering where I would go first when Isabel interrupted my thoughts.

"Okay, I think I understand the situation. Based on what you've explained, David seems to have some potential, and his particular class would be an interesting addition to our team. We'll start your training tonight, but first, we need to get you cleaned up. How are those wounds?"

I looked down at my bandaged body and shrugged. "Doesn't hurt at least," I replied. Isabel nodded in approval.

"Good. For your training, we'll focus on two categories for now: combat and illusions. Given your unique circumstances, there's a chance of overloading you with information, so we'll try to do the opposite. The initiation is a month away, and geography and language aren't our priorities at the moment."

I agreed with her, eager to explore this new world at my own pace.

"Next, we need to find you suitable clothing, armor, and a weapon. Being a pugilist is a viable option, but I prefer a steel weapon in my hand."

Lyra rolled her eyes and sarcastically chimed in, "Of course, you do," but paused when Isabel glared at her. "But I agree, a weapon would probably be a good idea."

Isabel nodded and turned to me, "So, any comments on that plan of action?"

I shook my head and replied, "Nope, none at all. I'm happy to let you and Lyra be my guide in this new reality of mine. Honestly, I'm just grateful that you're willing to help me."

Isabel gave me a small smile of approval and said, "Good. You might find it hard to keep that positive outlook in the month to come, but try not to break on me."

Lyra grinned at me, a look that sent a chill down my spine. I couldn't shake the feeling of foreboding that crept up on me.

Isabel and Lyra's home was a small estate near the second river we had crossed. The house was comfortable with two stories and a large open garden behind it that was converted into a training area. After a quick tour, Isabel showed me to my room. It was small but cozy with a bed, a writing table, a closet, and a window overlooking the river.

I wanted to crash into the bed and take a long nap, but I knew Isabel was already getting ready for my first lesson.

I descended the stairs and saw Lyra waiting for me in the lounge area. The room had a bar, couches, and an open kitchen where the cook Liza was preparing dinner. Lyra smiled at me and pointed to a set of folded clothes next to her. "These are for you," she said. "Once you put them on, Isabel is waiting for you out back. She hides it well, but I can tell she's quite excited!" She winked and left me to change.

Since Liza was busy, I quickly changed into my new clothes, which were made of a soft, thin fabric. The pants and shirt were gray, while the long vest was a deep blue, reaching down to the middle of my thighs. Though not my preferred colors, they were comfortable, and I was content with them. I stepped outside where Isabel was waiting, surrounded by a variety of training weapons.

"Finally!" she exclaimed upon seeing me. She gestured to the weapons and explained, "These are training weapons, and we are going to test them to see which might suit you. But first, I need to see what you can do." She led me to a large sparring ring made of hard-packed dirt, and I braced myself for what was to come.

--

Lyra sat comfortably in her reclining chair, sipping a cold drink while watching David step into the ring with Isabel. She couldn't help but feel a grin creeping onto her face as Isabel briefly explained the rules of the sparring match. No killing blows or intentional broken bones, but other than that, the rules were simple. Isabel charged at David and he clumsily dodged her first two strikes, but a powerful low kick sent him cartwheeling to the ground. Lyra winced, feeling sympathetic pain as David hit the ground hard.

To his credit, David didn't complain. He stood back up with determination in his eyes. Lyra had noticed this look a few times before, and she knew he would do better this time. His abilities seemed hesitant, like they weren't a natural part of him, but it made sense given his background. Isabel came at him again, but this time David moved smoother. Instead of retreating, he moved in. Lyra whispered, "Bold!"

Lyra was expecting Isabel to power through anything David could do with raw strength, but to her surprise, he flipped her and put her in a painful armlock using the energy of her own movement. Isabel tapped the ground twice, and David let go immediately. She stood and nodded approvingly. Lyra smiled at her friend's excitement, but given David's look of apprehension, it came across as something very different to him.

The next round was a quick, brutal takedown, and David was sprawled on the ground in moments. They reset, and this cycle continued for a while. Isabel let David use his skills on her, gauging his ability, before coming right back to show him how far he had to go. David was soon looking completely worn out, and Lyra stood to take up her tray of drinks.

--

I was writhing in pain, regretting every decision that had led him to this moment. I couldn't blame Lyra for being scared of Isabel – the woman was a force to be reckoned with. Despite the grueling training session, Isabel still looked fresh as a daisy, while I was barely able to stand. I had initially felt pretty good about himself after my first takedown, but it soon became clear that Isabel was just playing with me. Every grapple and feint I had attempted was quickly and easily countered, leaving me frustrated and defeated.

Isabel slapped me on the back, a gesture that was more painful than reassuring. "Good job," she said. "I'm impressed with this Flowing Mirage fighting style. At first, it seemed a little passive to me, but those grapples and locks are very efficient, even against a stronger opponent."

I nodded, still panting heavily. "It's very similar to a martial art from where I come from. It's called Aikido, and it was originally designed to defend against an armed opponent. It's considered weaker compared to other more aggressive combat styles, but with my increased physical abilities and a slightly more aggressive mindset in Flowing Mirage, it seems to be pretty effective."

Isabel took a moment to consider my words before nodding. "I have a good idea on what direction to push our training now, so let us..."

Lyra quickly interrupted her, "First take a break and have a drink. He is new to all this Isabel, so let's not break him on the first day?"

Isabel's gaze flickered from Lyra to me, and then she shrugged and accepted the glass from Lyra. "Do you mind at least discussing some things as we take a breather, David?" I accepted a drink and took a long sip, then gestured for Isabel to continue. Lyra let out a sigh of defeat.

"David, both your fighting style and class seem to not rely on strength, but rather on agility and deception," Isabel began. I nodded, waiting for her to continue. "I think you would profit from wielding a weapon for sure, and honestly, you could probably utilize a variety of weapons to great effect. I am thinking the dagger, short sword, or perhaps even fist blades might be a good match."

I considered her words for a moment but ultimately shook my head. "I do not want to use a blade, Isabel." She started to protest, but I held up a hand to forestall her. "I know it would likely make me a more efficient killer, but I don't want to walk down that path. I am new to all of this, but I seem to just know things about my fighting style without having to be taught. One of those things is that Flowing Mirage is all about deception and transfer of energy. One way is to simply use your opponent's momentum against them, but another is to pound my own energy into the target. That energy transfer is essential to Flowing Mirage, so I think a more suitable weapon would be something like a quarterstaff or something along those lines."

Isabel's face showed a deep frown, and I could tell she wasn't thrilled with my decision, but at least she didn't argue with me. Lyra stood on the sidelines with a small smile on her face, watching the exchange silently. Isabel suddenly stood up and walked over to the table, grabbing a staff that was almost my height and tossing it to me. "Show me!" she commanded.

I was exhausted from the training, but I managed to stand up with a slight groan and hefted the staff. It felt comfortable in my grip, and I somehow knew what to do with it. I could send energy or ether through it to empower my swing. While it wouldn't make it faster or sharper, it would transfer my energy into the target. I even knew that depending on how I delivered my strike and where, I could make it an incapacitating strike or even a lethal one.

Isabel led me back to the training ring, where she held a training sword in her hand. She waved me on in a challenge, and I went on the attack. Flowing mirage wasn't at its best in an offensive stance, but it wasn't completely useless either. I used a feint to stab at her throat, and the illusion took hold. To Isabel's eyes, the strike felt very real, and she swung her blade in a parry that amounted to nothing. Instead, I struck her leg with the other end of the staff. It wasn't a powerful swing since it had no real momentum behind it, but I pushed a bit of energy into the strike, hitting Isabel's own circulation in the leg. She gave a satisfying yelp and fell to one knee, and I stopped my next strike short of her temple.

Lyra was clapping excitedly, and Isabel's expression was one of shock and surprise. She examined her leg, then proceeded to give it a few slaps as if trying to wake it up. After a few moments of testing, she stood on the leg tentatively and stomped it a few times before seeming satisfied that there would be no issues. Then she focused on David.

"David, that's a pretty nasty ability," Isabel said, "I've heard of something like this before but have never experienced it. You slowed the energy and blood flow in my leg, and except for the lack of pain, it felt like having a limb removed for a time. If you had followed up with that strike to my head, what would have happened?"

I shrugged, "I would have two options, really. I could swing hard, and the combination of the physical strike and the energy would likely kill most opponents, or I could tap you more gently, and you would have passed out. At least, that's what I think it would do."

Isabel nodded and made a decision. "Okay, David, the staff it is. It seems very suited to you, despite my earlier misgivings. Don't expect me to take hits like that again, though. This time was a demonstration, and I honestly don't feel any desire to repeat it."

I grinned, "Understood."

We continued training until dinner was served, and Isabel focused on familiarizing me with the staff, despite my innate knowledge. She corrected my grip, footwork, and taught me how to deflect blows properly. Although I was not perfect by any means, I learned at a rapid pace that surprised me. During dinner, I asked Isabel about it, and she gave me a confused look. Lyra chimed in, explaining that my mental attributes and perfect recall allowed me to absorb knowledge quickly, making a month-long training time actually seem more than enough time.

Isabel nodded in agreement, adding, "It's strange that we need to explain these basic things to you." I frowned, about to retort, but Isabel forestalled me, "I understand why, David. I simply need to get used to it." It made sense, so I changed the subject, asking why they had trouble finding more team members.

Both women answered at the same time, pointing at each other and saying, "Because she's crazy." They glared at each other, and I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

"guess that makes sense," I managed to say in between breaths. Their glares turned to me, but I held up a hand and regained my composure. "Isabel is this Spartan warrior woman with no patience for anyone weaker than herself, and Lyra is a crazy fire lady who seems pretty unhinged from time to time! It kinda makes perfect sense people would be hesitant’’

Isabel continued to frown, but Lyra couldn't keep up the charade and burst out laughing. "He's not wrong, Isabel!" she exclaimed. Isabel didn't want to concede, but eventually she shrugged uncomfortably, which sent Lyra and David into another fit of laughter. They spent the rest of the dinner chatting amicably and relaxing.

After the meal, Isabel and Lyra showed me to a large bath downstairs. I was shocked to find that it was basically like a hot spring. As the two women left him to bathe on his own, I overheard Isabel asking Lyra in a whisper, "What is a Spartan?" I chuckled to myself and removed the bandages for the first time in days. I found that I was mostly healed, with scars that were well-healed and didn't stretch. I marveled at the fact that I was in a new world with battle scars and pondered all that had happened since he arrived - slavers, monsters, and new friends.

As I soaked in the warm water, letting it soothe my aching body, I realized that I had barely thought about his old world in any significant way. I felt comfortable here in Creston, despite having left everything I knew behind. I wondered whether I should worry about the fact that I didn't feel a twinge of homesickness, but I shrugged it off. There was no reason to be unhappy when I could enjoy himself in this new world. Late that night, I returned to my room and collapsed into bed, mostly naked. The weather in Creston was mild even in the dark hours, so I didn't bother to wear anything. Before going to sleep, I noticed the notification icon blinking in the corner of my vision but ignored it. I was tired and just wanted to sleep, and that's exactly what I did.

4