Chapter 42
35 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Here's something light-hearted after all that depression.

A few days later, Deverick set some plans into motion. He estimates everyone will see the results in about half a year. As for what will happen, he decided to leave it as a small surprise for the future.

After all of this, he decided to visit Mary again. From the last time he saw her, it was clear she had a lot on her mind. He was hoping after a few days, she is willing to open up and talk to him rather than treat him as a stranger. 

He walked into the store and greeted the grieving girl.

"Hey, Mary. How are you today?"

"I'm fine. How about you?"

A very polite response. Standard also. 

"Are you really?"

"Yes."

"Or are you just trying to be polite?"

This question stumped Mary. How is she supposed to answer that? No matter how she answers it, it would convey the same meaning. That she is just trying to be a standard cashier. A normal everyday worker, acting the role. A very fake act at that. Since both options convey a bad meaning, she decided to remain silent. 

"You know, someone who tries too hard to be something just tells people that they are not. When you try to be a cashier, you tell me that you aren't. You're trying to cover for something."

She became upset at this. Who is he to meddle in her life? Why should she follow the advice some a stranger?

"You must be wondering who I am to act like this."

Was she that obvious with her feelings? But how? She was sure she kept a straight face.

"You know? I'm kind of offended that you don't remember me. We have known each other for a long time after all."

Is that supposed to be exclusive? She has helped out at this place for a long time. Many people can claim to have known her since childhood. And do you have any idea how many people I see every day? Am I supposed to remember everyone? Like seriously, give me an actual idea of who you are.

"Fine, I will stop playing around with you. The name's Deverick. Deverick Mordesin."

She blinked. Now that he mentions it, he does look like the kid from years ago. 

"Deverick, is that really you? Oh my god, I almost didn't recognize you. It's been so long"

"Almost?"

She smiled. It had been a long time since she had such a heartfelt smile. 

"Fine, I admit. I didn't. You look so different after all."

"That's for sure. I had accomplished a lot these few years after all."

"So why did you not introduce yourself the last time you were here? We could have had this reunion then." 

Deverick shrugged at this question.

"You seemed pretty upset about something so I figured I will give you some space."

"That's true. You did ask at the time, but I brushed you off."

"Yes. So I did some investigation behind your back."

For some reason, my anger soared. What right did he have to go behind me like that?

"Don't get too mad at me. You clearly weren't going to tell me about it. Not about the ugly things I found."

My face turned pale. Did he find out about the rumors? Is he going to believe them as well? He will think I am a loose woman, isn't he? Will he shun me as well? Why is life so unfair? I clearly did nothing wrong, so why?

"Don't overthink it too much. I won't treat you any differently because of those rumors."

Thank god. At least he won't scorn me. But wait, doesn't that mean he actually found out about them?

"Anyway. I am here because I realized you don't have an official job anymore."

Well, he's right. And I don't think I will ever be able to become a teacher again. Not with that stain on my record.

"So I am here to offer you a job."

"As much as I appreciate it, I am not really interested in being a maid."

Deverick smiled. "I think you misunderstood something. I am not here as the son of the Mordesin family, as Deverick. As a friend and employer. My parents won't be privy to this. Not unless they ask or you tell them."

"So you will pay me with your own money?"

"Correct. I am offering you a genuine job here."

That relieved me. At least it's not because of pity. But maybe a little because of it?

"So what do you need me to do?"

"Well college life has been a little hectic, so I could use an assistant."

I raised my eyebrows. "That seems a little excessive, does it? And I thought you weren't hiring me as a maid or a nanny."

"I'm not."

"Then how is this any different?"

"I had a part-time assistant to help me prepare for my classes, but he was pretty busy so I ended up doing a lot of things myself. Can't blame him though since he was doing everything voluntarily. After that, I realized I could use a full-time assistant."

"That still doesn't explain why you need someone to take care of everything for you as a student."

A big smile appeared on his face. 

"I was hoping you thought I was a student."

"You're talking as if you aren't."

His smile only got wider, which I didn't realize was possible. Something feels off.

"Let me formally introduce myself. I go by many names, but my students refer to me as Professor Mordesin"

My jaws dropped. He's a professor?

"No way. You look like you were only in your first year."

"And I was. Just not as a student."

My worldview started collapsing. I knew he was smart, but I didn't think he was that competent. To think someone much younger than me had achieved a position that people can only dream of. Comparing myself to him, I feel like my life has been a waste. 

I picked my jaws up from the ground. "That changes things. To think I would be offered a job as an assistant of a professor after being kicked out."

"Consider it. If you are interested, you can find me at this address."

He handed me a business card. How professional.

"The offer stands until I find another candidate, which should be around a few weeks after the year starts. Take care."

Deverick then turned around, leaving Mary to process everything that just happened.

 


 

"Why did you have me create a custom card that leads her to this lab?" Opus asked Deverick. "Wouldn't it have been easier to send her the location through your kata? You do have her contact information after all."

"Because it looked cooler that way."

"*sigh* I knew you liked showing off in subtle ways, but isn't using your instant analysis on this too much of a waste?"

"What else am I supposed to use it for? For any complex calculations, I have you. That just leaves me with an ability I don't use often."

"So you decided to use it to make an impression?"

"There are a lot of things to account for if I want to leave the intended image."

 


 

Two days have passed since Deverick left his card. Mary considered it for a long time. It was a tempting offer, but she doesn't know if she can leave her mom so soon. When she consulted Helen, her mom said, "Don't worry about me. The place runs fine without you. I can see that you really want to take this job, so do it. It's your life after all"

"Thanks, mom."

Having made up her mind, she decided to get up early the next morning and make herself look nice. After she got ready, she called a service to transport her to the address. What she didn't expect was that she was dropped outside a forest with a small pebble road leading in. Apparently, this is the farthest the person can send her because the trees make it very difficult to maneuver the vehicle. She paid the driver and started walking in.

She observed the trees and the plants that surrounded her. There was a nice scent from the flowers and fruits hanging from trees. She couldn't help but think how plump and juicy they looked. Would it be too much if she plucked one and took a bite? After some deliberation, she decided not to since it will ruin her makeup. She doesn't exactly want to show up on her interview, looking like a mess.

After a few minutes of following the path, she came to an open garden where Deverick was sitting. When she walked into view, Deverick looked up.

"I've been expecting you."

"I came."

"Come, have a seat."

He snapped his fingers and some vines grew from the group to weave a chair across from him.

"I wonder how he did that. He didn't cast any spells at all," Mary thought.

She sat down. The chair was surprisingly sturdy how it was made.

"Are you hungry? Thirsty maybe?"

"No, I'm good."

"Are you certain? I am sure the fruits along the way have enticed you."

Her determination wavered. Those fruits do seem appealing. But her appearance...

Seeing her struggle, Deverick smiled. He waved his hand and a tall glass cup flew over with some other utensils. As they were floating over, some more vines grew out and formed a table in between them. He grabbed the cup and gave it a quick shake. When Mary's eye's focused on it again, some perfect cubes of ice had appeared in it.

She stared at the clear construct as sunlight passed through it and an illumination of colors greeted her eyes. As she was admiring the beauty in front of her, two fruits broke off from their stems and floated past her head. One of the fruits floated above the glass. Deverick swirled his pointer finger and formed a loose fist. Then he clenched his fist. Following this motion, the fruit split along the middle and started being crushed slowly.

Mary watched as the juice slowly trickled down from the fruit, through the air, and finally into the cup, all without a single spill. After all the juice has been squeezed out, Mary noticed two bottles with long, narrow necks had appeared in Deverick's hands. He opened the lids with his right hand and transferred one bottle over so that each hand was holding one. Then he tilted the bottles and poured some of the contents into the cup. 

She watched the small streams of liquids slowly make ripples in the juice. After a few second seconds, Deverick put away the two bottles and gave the cup a small swirl. The three distinct colors started mixing with each other and formed a yellowish-orange concoction. He stuck a straw into the cup and put it in front of her.

Then, he pushed a plate with the other fruit toward her. When it was in front of her, the fruit split into eight parts and fell down to reveal a brown pit the size of her fist.

"Eat up. No need to be so formal. It's not that big of a deal."

Mary took the glass and put the straw in her mouth. She gave it a suck and her eyes lit up. It was delicious. It was refreshing. It was everything she wanted on this summer day. Then her eyes turned to the sliced fruits. She picked up a piece and took a small bite. Then she started wolfing down the fruit. All thoughts about her appearance had been thrown out of her mind.

After she finished, Deverick handed her a handkerchief. She took it and blushed. 

"Sorry about that."

"It's fine. I know how good those fruits are. Especially when paired with the juice."

"So what exactly does the job entail anyway?"

"As I said before, you will be an assistant. The job asks you to help me with some preparations for my classes. Other than that, I would need you to help me sometimes in class. Basically, you will be my secretary at school."

"That doesn't sound too bad. So what about your other assistant?"

"I will let him occasionally help out if he has the time. Other than that, I will have you be there."

"Will your university allow this? This position seems pretty unorthodox."

"It shouldn't be much of a problem, but let me ask anyways."

He injected some mana into his kata and called Lilith.

"Hey Deverick, what do you need me for?"

"I will be hiring an assistant for my classes next year. Is that okay?"

"I don't see why that's a problem. And even if I said no, can that change anything?"

"No. I will just be informing you if that were to happen. Okay, thank you. That's all I needed."

On the other side, Lilith was wondering why Dverick called in the first place.

"You see? Not a problem."

Mary was speechless at his demeanor.

"How do they let you get away with this?"

"When you are talented enough, you get special privileges. By the way, what was your previous pay?"

"75,000 demas a month. Why?"

"I am willing to pay 100,000 for you to do a good job."

Mary was a little surprised at the offer.

"Is it really worth so much to make your life easier?"

"To me, the time saved is worth the payment."

"I don't know what to think of you anymore."

"Well be prepared. There will be plenty more of that."

2