Chapter Thirteen
135 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rubi stared out the church window, her mind was stuck somewhere else. The horrendous ashy atmosphere outside had cleared up just a bit. The young girl had removed her tracksuit jacket, revealing the white tank top she was wearing. She snapped out of her mind, and walked back to her group who were in a different room. The whole church had religious imagery she had never seen before. She expected to throw a hissy fit or go berserk from entering a holy place, but none of that seemed to happen. Maybe this religion didn't hate her kind. She opened the door, smiling at Calcious, who was slumped against the wall fast asleep. A large table was in the middle of the room, with various religious books and artifacts. The walls were covered in brown marble with flowers painted over it.

"We were just talking about the Axe Hats?" Cordelia informed Rubi. The young woman nodded her head, taking a seat beside Zoey.

"So what do we know so far?" The pink haired girl asked.

"Well, there's the fact that they have been here for six months. They haven't really physically wrecked havoc on the folks from the village. However, Stone Wall is environmentally dead." Zoey explained, flipping her hair back. "Who knows how long before the financially fuck the village over." Zoey added. Rubi sighed.

"How strong are the Axe Hats?" She asked, rubbing a hand over her arm. Tobias answered,

"They're the one of the only guilds that has only mages among them. Incredibly powerful mages. Terrance, the guild master, is extremely powerful himself." She picked up the holy scriptures and skimmed through it. Rubi watched as she did so. Once the priest and nun, who were in the room with them left to get them something to eat, with Zoey and Cordelia volunteering to help, Rubi leaned toward Tobias, asking the pressing questions she had.

"Isn't this some holy place, so why aren't I having a fit? Since I'm a demon and all." Tobias looked at the girl long and hard. She then laughed.

"The reason you're not freaking out, is because this religion was created by the demon class all those years ago."

"So like satanism?" Tobias tilted her head confused. "Never mind."

"There are other religions within Athera that became much more popular after that chaotic incident all those years ago, so this religion isn't really that popular." Rubi nodded, taking in all the information.

"So, has anyone been prosecuted for believing in the religion, since the incident left such a bad taste in you lots mouth?"

Tobias shook her head. "The Antiquan council might seem like a bunch of cut throat people, but they're still all about freedom. The religion hasn't caused anyone trouble yet, so there's no need for prosecution." The old woman flipped her hair back.

"What's the religion called anyway?" Tobias turned the holy scripture around to show Rubi. A beautiful naked woman with flowing red hair, brightest gold eyes, wearing gold jewellery was painted on one of the pages.

"The name of the religion is called Geneva. It was named after the first demon to walk among the land of Athera. Said to be the most beautiful as well. It says her mother gave birth to her in a pit of lava, but who knows if that's true." Rubi flipped through the pages, looking at the various texts with curiosity.

"Why does summoning happen anyways?" She asked, looking at the various art of the Geneva lady.

"To help keep the balance on Earth. We know that each year the children who awaken their mana on earth, and we know earth isn't able to hold you guys without the balance being thrown off. If all the children that possess mana were to fully awaken on earth, then you'll put the other 99% of normal folks in some serious danger."

"I'll pretend I understood anything you just said." This made Tobias laugh.

"You remind me a lot of my granddaughter. She works at the council with me. Clumsy young thing" Rubi smiled. Her mind then wandered back to her training days.

"During my training, I noticed information on my powers was very limited. I couldn't find anything to help me at least learn the basics of my demon powers."

"Destroying those books was ordered by the council, in case another demon was summoned again, and they used it to repeat those offences again. It only took a millennium, but here we are. I'm surprised your body even changed. The growing of the horns was really something. The materials used for your uniform should have stopped it." Rubi stopped what she was doing, looking at Tobias with wide eyes.

"What do you mean by that?" She closed the religious book and listened closely. "Are you telling me that this tracksuit was made to suppress my powers?" Tobias nodded, confused at how the girl before her didn't know. Rubi continued looking at the woman in shock. Her head was spinning. Was Zion in on this, or was this Blair's doing? She placed her head down groaning. How the hell did the guild expect her to grow into her class if everything they did was hindering that process.

"Zion wouldn't do that." Calcious spoke up. "He wouldn't hinder your process of growing stronger, that isn't him." He had woken up. The icy blue eyed man stood up and walked to the chair at the far end of the table.

"Of course you would say something like that." She muttered, angrily. Calcious through her a sharp look. but he face dropped when Rubi was giving him a death glare.

"Why have me summoned if you're going to hinder me at every possible chance?"

"Why question things now? You had half a year to do so." He fired back. Rubi laughed.

"Ah yeah, start picking a fight in a world you're not familiar with, let's see how fast that gets you ripped apart." Tobias ushered the girl to calm down. "Hey old woman, how do you know the tracksuit is hindering my mana?" Are you given some sort of special mana reading abilities." The lady nodded.

"Guild masters and council members are given that ability. It's limited at reading mana levels. Class reading isn't included in that package since it includes reading one's spirit as well."

"So you can't even say Zion did not know. He put me through the forest training session knowing that my uniform was hindering my abilities. Oh god Rubi, where has your backbone been all this time? Did your master plan on getting me killed, huh Calcious?"

"Rubi...."

"If it weren't for that glowing blue fox, I probably would have been dead. Real funny, right?" The mentioning of the blue fox had Tobias sitting up straight.

"A blue fox?" Tobias questioned.

"Yeah, you should've seen the magnificent little thing. I was fairing well against some of the monsters but their levels kept increasing. It helped destroy every single one of them. Then proceeded to transfer those monsters' spirit energy into me. Probably why I had that transformation." Calcious and Tobias' eyes widened.

"The monsters were meant to be below c-class, something you couldn't have encountered anything higher than that." He argued, his voice shaking at the end with uncertainty.

"That's not what my holographic screen was reading. Just admit that your guild master is a piece of shit, so we can move on with our day."

"He's your guild master too." Rubi laughed, nodding her head in a sarcastic manner.

"Let's see if that sentiment stays true after this mission." The pink haired girl muttered.

"Are you saying you're going to leave?!" He voice was now raised. "You can't leave, we summoned you."

"Actually she can. It is one the many rights that the council has given summons. They can terminate a contract and sign a new one with another guild or form their own guild. However, not many people would be a fan of having a demon or joining a guild that a demon created. So, your own other choice is being a lone hunter." Rubi nodded, understanding.

"Think this through. Just hear Zion out on what he has to say." Calcious begged. Rubi shrugged, then tiredly agreed.

"If I don't like his answer, I'm gone."

Tobias watched the two argue, only one thought going through her brain.

Why would that guild master help her?

(You guys will be officially ahead of RoyalRoad with my next update.)

3