Volume 1 Chapter 7: In The Secret Base
2k 5 105
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you want to see 10 chapters ahead of this one for free, go to this link, However, if you want to see more chapters in advance than this 10, you can just click my Patreon or Ko-Fi, they are 40 Chapters ahead!

(Walson)

Winter has come to our village.

Right now, I was in the farming area of my secret base, busy spreading my home-made [Bone Meal] on the [Malbor] grass, and when a chilly winter breeze brushed past me. I quickly harvested them in case the weather would make any unfavorable changes that I didn't like.

Turns out that I can use [Bone Meal] on any sort of plant and make it instantly grow, even if the plants weren't originated or related to the ones in Minecraft. There exists local equivalents of fertilizers in the village and the farmlands, but none of them are effective enough to make plants immediately mature, like the [Bone Meal], once they are applied.

Since I have hunted both animals and monsters inside the mountains, I gathered the bones and crafted them into [Bone Meal] with the [Crafting Table]. I have no idea whether if its because of the special qualities of the Minecraft [Crafting Table] or if it's because monster bones have special properties in it. But in any case, my [Bone Meals] are irreplaceable to my experimentation on the [Malbor] grass.

[Malbor] is rare, and I bet there exists rarer plants elsewhere in this world. I really don't want other people to know about my [Bone Meal], people would probably go to war for it.

As mentioned before, [Malbor] is used for healing products, primarily this world's equivalent of healing potions, the [Malbor Potion]. I have successfully brewed three [Potions of Healing] by substituting one [Glistering Melon] with a copious amount of [Malbor] grass, and I decided to call this version the [Malbor Potion of Healing].

Yes, it's a very lame name, I know. I even found the name to be hilarious myself.

The normal [Malbor Potions] are costly healing products, and I had caught a few glimpses of it inside the village apothecary. The color of the potion is much duller than my own bright red [Malbor Potion of Healing] by several shades. I guess my version is much more concentrated.

I have no idea how the actual [Malbor Potions] are made, but I know I made my [Malbor Potion of Healing] with a [Brewing Stand] from Minecraft.

Putting in the [Malbor] grass that I just harvested into the [Brewing Stand], I started my second batch of [Malbor Potion of Healing].

You all must be wondering how I got a [Brewing Stand]? Well, remember all the different kinds of stuff I found inside my [Inventory] the first time around? There were several [Blaze Rods] that I used to make a [Brewing Stand].

I can substitute unique ingredients with other things, but I doubt I can substitute a [Brewing Stand], since it is part of Minecraft's essential mechanics like the [Crafting Table], [Furnace], and [Enchantment Table].

The [Brewing Stand] can make three potions at one go, and the amount of time it requires to make [Malbor Potion of Healing] is three hours, the time is very long in comparison to normal Minecraft potions. I have not had the chance to make any other potions yet, so I have no idea whether three hours is the norm.

I am extremely curious to how effective the [Malbor Potion of Healing] could be.

Since [Malbor Potion] by itself can sell for a very good price already, I could potentially sell my own [Malbor Potion of Healing] in the future. If I decide to not sell any potions, I can also sell a huge amount of [Malbor] by abusing the [Bone Meal] as well.

My, my, my.

Great opportunities for me to become a merchant or trader.

I have made my decision. I am definitely going to be a merchant in the future.

___________________________________________________

I have been making improvements for my secret base through the years.

My most important objective after I have successfully created the secret base, was to make a washroom.

Yup, you heard me right. My first priority was to make a washroom.

In this medieval-like world, people do not think their personal hygiene is very important. It's not unusual to have not cleaned oneself for more than a week, but generally, respectable people always make sure to bathe once every three days. At least, that's what I know is happening in our village. I have no idea if people outside of this village take a bath once every day, or once every month for all I know.

My world view is pitifully small right now. It's just the village and I.

Anyway, there is a very small public bath available in the village, but since its the only one in the entire village, it is usually crowded in some way or other, leaving the less privileged in our village unable to clean themselves properly.

And as we all know, poor orphans don't count as being privileged.

The children in our Orphanage usually go to the streams to dunk themselves every once and while. This is a typically tameless method for cleaning, but also our only option. It's almost impossible to willingly dunk in a river or stream in winter, not to mention they are often frozen solid. So the smell gets horrifying very quickly in that season.

Therefore, as someone who showered once a day in their previous life, I decided to create a washroom in my private 'home away from home'.

I first used chopped bamboo and wood, coupled with stone, to create the space.

Then I dug a big hole, got rid of the sand and mud as best as I could, and placed cobblestones all over the hole.

The water is taken from the pure spring water of the mountains, where I diverted it into my heater.

My heater has two levels in it. The first level is where the water first comes in, and the second is where the water is heated. I used a lit [Netherrack] that will burn forever to heat my water.

The heated water will then go into my washroom, and when I need to get rid of the spent water, I just open a water gate to let it all go.

It's a bit more troublesome in winter, where most of the water is frozen solid. I just take buckets of snow to the heater and do it that way.

So that was how I created my personal hot spring by using my knowledge and special abilities.

Oh, plus I made soap. Who knew science classes back in school would come in handy? It's a wonder that I even remember how to make them.

Since processed water does not hold Water Elementals within them, it was also possible for Grace to have a hot bath.

But... I still haven't shown her the secret base yet. She is so busy with her classes and practices that I sincerely doubt there is the time.

One single Commoner missing from the village would probably not create any fuss, but I doubt having a prodigal Mage like Grace disappear for a day would be alright. I sincerely do not wish to have my secret base discovered.

The swirling fire vortex from last time is something that only Grace can do. Normally that kind of thing will need a precise and slightly long spell chant to cast it as a spell, but Grace can do it by simply manipulating the elements with her will.

She became an idol and was admired for her talents in the Orphanage. She is no longer bullied, and the bullies even became her admires. Said 'admires' might refuse to acknowledge the fact that they admire her though, because children and adolescents are often needlessly rebellious.

But it was obvious to me that they admired her. Some even had a crush.

She no longer needed my protection. There was no one that threatened her, and she also had the abilities to protect herself now.

Ah, this bittersweet feeling. Is this what fathers feel like when watching their precious princess grow up? Not that Grace was mine, but I felt responsible for her.

On the other hand, because I am friends with Grace, I am being targeted.

My tools are often hidden or taken away by other children, seeing it as a chance to inconvenience me. But the things they can take away are the ones that I never needed, so I just let them do what they wanted. Not like they can reach into my [Inventory] to touch the things that truly matter.

Who would need that stupid hoe given by the Orphanage when I have the Minecraft one on my person?

________________________________

There was a loud howl coming from the mountains that startled me when I was just getting ready to take a bath in the mini-hot spring.

It came from the directions of the abandoned mines. It's probably the [Mountain King].

He is the most powerful entity in this area. A LV33 wolf that is big enough to put Elephants to shame.

I almost pissed myself in fear the first time I saw him.

But what the [Mountain King] is doing is none of my business.

...

...

...

With that said, there was immediately a man-like scream coming from the same direction.

"Ahhh! AAAAAAHHHHH!"

Who would approach the abandoned mines?

Oh no! I built a temporary shelter near the mines so I don't need to go between the secret base and the mines all the time whenever I want to work.

If they discover that shelter, then that means there is a very high chance that they can find my secret base too!

I have to get out there and find out what's happening.

105