Volume 3 Chapter 23: Tangled Emotions
267 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Aurevia Bratio Ilf / Barella)

"...So, I wish all of you, my junior brothers and sisters, a bright future. This is Aurevia, who spent seven years delaying graduation. Until we meet again, if fate allows."

After finishing my graduation speech, I descended the stairs with exhaustion and quickly retreated backstage.

The fatigue I felt was physical, but there was another reason why my heightened emotions couldn't settle down...

Swiftly taking off the formal attire that made me feel constrained, I changed into the clothes I carefully selected last night.

"Hey, congratulations on your graduation." Almost running, I found that boy among the families of the graduating students.

With his slightly messy brown hair, a height slightly shorter than mine, and that ever-confident smile on his face.

Yes... the reason that my mood is bright, is that... Walson is coming to pick me up!

"The graduation ceremony finally ended." I pretended to casually showcase my new clothes in front of him while casually playing with my hair. "I feel so tired."

"Yeah, let's go." Walson just crossed his hands behind his head and turned away.

"Hey, that's too much!" I immediately chased after him.

I spent so long last night just deciding what kind of clothes to wear!

"What?" Walson looked at me with a puzzled expression.

"Seeing a well-dressed lady like me, you should at least offer some compliments out of courtesy!"

"...I mean, it's just a walk back to the [Dog House], do you really need to dress like this? You're just going home, right? You'll be living there from now on... Oh, by the way, Grace has already taken your luggage back."

"No... That's not the point! ...Sob..."

‘Speaking of which, why didn't you let Grace teleport you back directly? Isn't that the most convenient? You wouldn't have had to change your clothes."

"No... I invited you, at least..." This blockhead!

Although... although I don't really mind this dull side of him... but when a lady invites someone... You need to at least understand that she has taken a liking to you, right? I even made a special effort to dress up. Which girl doesn't want to experience sweet love memories on a school ground? You idiot!

At least let me enjoy a pleasant walk home. Geez.

...But I also understand very well that the more I hope... the greater the disappointment I'll face...

After all, my position... is just Walson's friend.

Watching Walson's hand swing as he walks, I always want to pretend to casually hold it, but at the critical moment, I always forcefully stop myself... It turns out I'm much more cowardly than I thought. As I walk home, my heart, along with those swinging hands, freezes at such a close distance.

So close, yet so far.

Two engraved bracelets hang on his left hand, piercing through my vision in the reflection.

There's a faint pain in my chest.

"Well, now that I'm your family, so to speak, is there any place you'd like to visit?"

"...Anywhere is fine. How about you, Walson?" I sighed softly.

"...Then let's rent a small boat. I've been here for so long, and I've never rowed a boat." Walson walked towards a small shop by the waterway, negotiated for a bit, and then hopped onto the nearby boat.

Responding to Walson's invitation, I boarded the boat and took a seat. But when I reached for the paddle next to me, Walson stopped me and told me to just sit.

Floating ice chips on the surface of the water in early winter, reflecting the lingering glow of the sunset, drifted along the edge of the boat and slowly melted into the cold river.

Perhaps I was lost in my own thoughts, but when I realized it, the boat had already arrived in a place where hardly anyone passed by.

"By the way, Barella."

"What is it?" I no longer felt like bothering him about the nickname he gave me.

"When you were giving your speech earlier, you mentioned that you had someone you liked..." Walson stood at the bow of the boat, propping himself up with the paddle, without turning his head.

"Ah... You, you heard that?" That was... in response to a student's disruptive question during the speech. So he actually paid attention to my words. Despite feeling down just now, my heart warmed up again.

He...

"Of course, I heard it. I even went to see you at the beginning of the ceremony."

"R-Really... Thank you..."

"Do you really have someone you like?" Walson said and suddenly turned his head to look at me seriously.

My face instantly turned hot...

"Um..." Did he notice...?

"Who is it? I pity that person." Walson said so and started laughing.

Suddenly, I had an urge to kick Walson off the boat.

Ah, no, I actually did it.

"That's going too far!"

"Hehe." But Walson dodged with a hearty laugh.

"No one talks to a lady like that!"

"Well, it depends on whether you fit my definition of a lady or not."

The boat shook violently under my action. I stumbled and nearly fell off the boat, but Walson pushed me back with the handle of the paddle.

I fell back onto the deck.

"Be careful. The water in winter is very cold. Falling in is more than just catching a cold."

"..." Still sulking, I naturally didn't respond to him.

This jerk, this super jerk...!!

"Well, regardless of who you like, as your friend, if you need any help, just let me know."

"Hmph, you think you can help me like this?" I gave him a disdainful look.

"No, no, no. I'm just an ordinary guy. I can only help that poor bug escape from your clutch."

"You...!" That pretended serious tone, that playful expression, how many times have you done this today!

The boat rocked, and on the surface of the winter river, we frolicked like good friends.

I used to think that since you had Grace and Melon in addition to me, I should be able to act with you just like them too.

But now, I can't convince myself of that.

Your feelings for Grace and Melon are different from your feelings for me.

No matter how much I hinted or tried to get closer to you, it seemed like you didn't pay any attention... or perhaps you deliberately chose not to.

Only now do I realize how much difference there is between the surface appearance of equality and the actual substance...

"Alright, stop playing around. I won't care if you actually fall off." That's what you said.

"Tch." So, I chose a seat closer to your left side and sat down.

Maybe I just wanted to be closer to the sound of your heartbeat...

I feel so pathetic. Was I always like this when I’m with Barlon before...?

No wonder that girl is able to snatch you away from me….

"Walson..."

"What? Haven't caused enough trouble yet?" He put up a defensive stance.

"...It's nothing. Just call me happy."

"What kind of low-level joke is that? How old are you?"

I really wanted to say it, but I couldn't bring myself to.

I'm afraid... afraid that if I clearly say "I like you," and I get rejected, will I still be able to wear the familiar mask and maintain this "friendship"?

"I'm twenty-four, nine years older than you."

"Damn, you're still so childish for someone not so young!"

Well...

Maintaining things like this for now isn't too bad.

12