Chapter 2
117 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


It took months for the cultivation world to recover from Siege at Burial Mounds.

 

 The cultivation world has tried many methods to reach Wei Wuxian's soul to see if he would return one day and seek revenge, but to no avail. Their efforts were always fruitless. 

 

  The Jiang Sect would be holding a gathering, a Discussion Conference to discuss future possibilities of the Yiling Patriarch's return to the world of the living, and what they should do if the need arises, many were restless and worried. 

 

All cultivators thought their peace was well-earned without the Yiling Patriarch to spread his evil around the world. They wanted to make sure nothing would happen in the future.

 

The world was better off without that man, after all.

 

~~●~~

 

  Jiang Cheng paced. He had already invited the other sects to his so he could just turn them away. He glanced at the Yiling Patriarch's still figure, as always - seeming like he was resting instead of being the dead man that he was. None of the sects knew what he had done with his brothers body, they simply figured he buried the man somewhere or destroyed his body. 

 

  A disciple knocked on the door. 

"What is it?" Jiang Cheng snapped. 

 

"Sect Leader, the guests have arrived." 

 

Jiang Cheng pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance and frustration. "Alright, go on then." 

 

He gave one one last glance at his brother before leaving his room.

 

The others could not find out about this, Jiang Cheng already warded the room with talismans and made sure the door as locked before rushing to meet his guests.

 

  ~~●~~

"Did you bring the sword?" Jiang Cheng inquired to the Jin Sect Leader about Wei Wuxian's sword Suibian. It never belonged in their possession anyway so Jiang Cheng made sure to ask for it back and not give them any room to back out. Jin Guangshan seemed reluctant but still had one of the disciples hand the sword back. 

Jiang Cheng nodded his thanks, not wanting to be rude but he didn't really have anything to say to Jin Guangshan. He never liked the other man. Jiang Cheng excused himself to put the sword away in a safe place. 

 

Sect Leader Nie from the Qinghe sect along with some of his members, Sect Leader Lan Xichen with his uncle Lan Qiren along with a few elders and west members, Sect Leader Jin Guangshan along with Jin Guangyao and some of their members and other sects that had come to join in all sat in their respective places to sit from Jiang Cheng.

 

Jiang Cheng let out a nervous breath after placing the sword in his brothers room before leaving and closing the door again hurrying back to the guests.

 

Jiang Cheng sat down and his seat and they started the discussion. The hall was loud from many voices talking at once.

 

Then something unexpected happened.

 

Immersed in their discussion, no one noticed right away that black flute Chenqing mounted on the wall had begun to swirl with resentful energy. The energy quickly spread around the room, around the cultivators.

 

There were gasps around the room at the large mass of resentful energy suddenly surrounding them.

 

"What's going on?" Voices cried.

 

"What's the meaning of this?!" Others echoed.

 

They then noticed the black flute Chenqing mounted on the wall, and the resentful energy was very thick coming from it.

 

Jiang Cheng went to grab the damned thing but it lashed out at him. He scowled.

 

The others made to try to leave after trying to use their spiritual powers to push back the resentful energy. Even the Gusu Lan clan were struggling against it, their spiritual powers over taken by the resentful energy. 

 

  Those who had tried to leave found themselves unable to were trapped in. 

No one could leave.

"We can't leave! We're trapped!" Many voices all shouted out, turning to look at one another in apprehension.

 

"Calm down, you lot. The resentful energy isn't even attacking us. We will all get to the bottom of this. You are cultivators are you not? Show some backbone and stop panicking." Jiang Cheng griped and rolled his eyes, though he too felt wary.

 

The energy still prevent them from leaving, swirling into the center of them room and smoky visual projection began to display itself. Everyone froze, shocked and entranced as they watched it play.

 

_________________________________

 

 "A-Ying, stay here and be a good boy for mommy and daddy, we will return soon alright?"

 

"Mn, Okay!" The boy smiled brightly up at the figure, big grey eyes sparkling. 

 

"And no matter what, remember the promise you made Mommy?"

 

"Mmmhmm. Always remember the good others do for you, but not the good you do for others! Oh, and always keep smiling no matter what!!" The boy stated matter-of-factly. 

 

There was the tinkling sound of soft laughter that rang in the young child's ears, making him bursting with happiness. "A-Ying is such a good child. Mommy loves you." 

 

A deep chuckle sounded, "Alright Cangse, we should leave. We will be back, Wei Ying. Our A-Ying will be a good boy, yes?"

 

"The best! A-Ying will be very good!!"

 

He received to kisses on each side of his cheeks and waved enthusiastically at his Mommy and Daddy who were leaving.

 

He knew they would come back. They always kept their promises. So he would wait like a good boy for his parents to return.

 

He trusted them. They would come back, as they always did and then they could all go on another journey together.

 

Little Wei Wuxian giggled excitedly.

 

He couldn't wait.

 

_________________________________

The cultivators from the other sects were shocked and confused. Jiang Cheng even more so, eyes wide and staring at the images he had just seen that had been projected by resentful energy which seeped from Chenqing, his brothers ghost flute. 

 

These were memories, his brother's memories to be exact.

 

So… Chenqing had a will and mind enough of its own like his master's other weapon - his sword, Suibian, with lingering sentiments for its master and had trapped them all and they were being forced to watch the memories. 

 

Although strong and thick, the resentful energy did not seek to harm or kill but only to stop them from leaving and to force them to witness the memories that lingered from a soul that had long ago been condemned and turned against.

 

Jiang Cheng stared ahead, throat tight, hands clenched in fists.

 

Lan Xichen felt a sensation prick at his heart after seeing the scene of a young Wei Wuxian, and listening to the words he spoke so cheerily that actually carried a heavy weight. 

 

Lan Qiren just sighed and shook his head, not knowing how to feel, the young boy he just saw… and the man he blamed and hated…. Wei Wuxian was and always would be a scourge and a monster of the cultivation world. 

 

 Nie Huaisang quietly chuckled to himself at how adorable Wei-xiong was as a child. Nie Mingjue looked at his younger brother with a frown but  felt removed the situation thus far, he had never known the teen his younger brother had been friends with. 

 

The other cultivators all felt strange, wanting to be appalled and disgusted, because the man they knew as the Yiling Patriarch was an evil villain in their eyes. And seeing the same villain who was once an innocent child… was absolutely out of the question. They refused to let their hearts be softened. 

 

The resentful energy twisted, shifting into more scenes of memories. The crowd of cultivators watched, entranced.

_________________________________

 

  Wei Wuxian waited.

 

And waited… and waited. Many days passed but his parents hadn't returned. 

 

The owner of the Inn he had been left at grew irritated that the brat's parents had not come to get him yet. The boy could not stay.

 

  Wei Wuxian looked up at the owner glaring down at him and flinched. 

 

"Your parents left you, kid, and it doesn't look like they are coming back. You can't stay here anymore, so go on, shoo - get out of here!" The owner snapped, trying to usher the boy out

 

"But.. but… they said they would come back! I know they will! Please don't make me leave! Please, mister! I know they wouldn't leave me!" Big grey eyes shimmered with unshed tears as Wei Wuxians lips trembled. He tried to wriggle out of the man's hold as he was thrown outside on the ground.

 

"Mister! Mister! Please!" Wei Wuxian scrambled to his feet. The owner shut the door in his face. 

 

Wei Wuxian stood alone in the middle of the street, sniffling. "Nnn. I promised to be a good boy...don't leave me… Mommy.. Daddy… please come back… I won't cry anymore! I will smile… so please come back!!" The small boy cried. 

 

But his parents never came back. 

 

~~<☆>~~

 

   More days passed. Wei Wuxian struggled day by day. Vendors chased the boy away. Things were thrown at him. Dogs would chase him for the meager scraps of food he barely managed to obtain. He would always get beaten and kicked while he was down. He once clean clothes became torn and caked with dirt and grime, his formerly fresh appearance worn and exhausted. His small cheeks were slightly hollow, his thin skin clinging to his boned desperately as he strived to survive each day.

 

If he saw any other hungry children like him, starving while barely managing to make it through the day, he would give them whatever good he had.

 

He still never cried.

 

He always smiled, he never stopped smiling. 

 

Wei Wuxian sat huddled in an alley, clothes full of holes and dirty, shivering from the cold that kept stealing the small warmth from his body. He hugged himself, trying to stay warm.

 

Suddenly, he glanced up the moment another young boy had come to stand in the alley, dressed in white clothes wearing a forehead ribbon. A toy in his hands. 

 

The two children stared in awe at the other. The boy in white offered him the toy silently. Wei Wuxian stared at the other with big grey eyes, hesitating a moment before taking the offered toy, and gifting the boy a big sunny smile. 

 

Wei Wuxian watched the other boy leave but he was in awe over the toy the other had given him. His smile became even brighter than the sun. A soft, happy feeling bubbles inside him despite everything. In that moment, in his young mind, it was enough. 

_________________________________

 

     The crowd of cultivators all trapped together each wore different expressions. 

 

The other young child, had that not been the Young Second Master Lan???

 

Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren were shocked. 

 

Lan Qiren had taken both the young brothers out for a trip and he had had no idea about any of this happening…

 

They both had met so young but neither remembered the time from then? 

 

However, the viewing of memories were not done.

 

They were far from over. They were only beginning. 

_________________________________

 

 Wei Wuxian ran frantically, quick puffs of breath escaping his lips as he ran.

 

Vicious growls and barks of a pack of hungry dogs chased  and nipped at his heels.

 

Wei Wuxian yelped as he fell forward after tripping over a rock.

 

He hurriedly scrambled to his feet, terror coursing through his body at the dogs close behind. He quickly resumed running, his heart pounding wildly in his chest. 

 

'Please, please don't let them catch me!' 

 

He thought, glancing backward again, the dogs hunted him, snarling as they chased after their prey. No one stopped to help him, so Wei Wuxian bit his lips to keep from crying out for help.

He didn't want burden anyone.

'Stay away, stay away, stay away! Leave me alone! Please'  He chanted in his mind desperately, fear still still coursing through his veins. 

 

He highs into his food for dear life. He ran around a corner, into an alleyway.

 

A dead end.

 

Wei Wuxian shrieked, swiftly backing up and away from the pack of dogs baring their teeth with hungry, vicious growls deep in their throats.

 

They cornered him.

 

Wei Wuxian trembled, forcing his tears back, press himself as far away from.the dogs as he could.

 

The dogs crept closer and closer, saliva dripping from their canines as they snapped their muzzles and barked.

 

Wei Wuxian screamed as they pounced on him.

 

'Go away! GO Away! "GET OFF ME! GO AWAY!" He yelled, shrieking and trying to pull himself away but the just dug their teeth deeper into his skin, biting at him and the food in his grasp, snatching it away.

 

"NO!! THAT'S MINE !!! GIVE IT BACK" Wei Wuxian screamed, telling himself not to cry -

 

'Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry!'

 

Wei Wuxian pulled and twisted, trying to kick and hit the dogs away and get them off him!

 

Wei Wuxian couldn't take it, he broke down screaming, tears escaping his big grey eyes.

 

"Stop! STOP! GO AWAY! GET AWAY FROM ME!!" He screamed.

 

A sharp whistle sounded and a flash of light caught Wei Wuxians eyes. 

 

The dogs yelped, scrambling away and out of the alleyway. 

Wei Wuxian stared at the figure before him, sniffling and rubbing his eyes. 

 

A tall man in purple bent down with a gentle smile. 

 

"It's alright, little one. They are gone now. Can I ask your name, child?" The man kept a gentle smile as he asked the boy softly.

 

"A-Ying's name is Wei Ying!" Wei Ying burst out cheerily. 

 

The man's eyes widened in shock. "Wei Wuxian? A-Xian? Wei Ying?"

 

Wei Wuxian looks at him curiously, "You know my name?"

 

The man smiled once more. "Yes, A-Xian. My name is Jiang Fengmian. Your parents were very close friends of mine. A-Xian, would you like to come with me and get cleaned up, and some food to eat?" 

 

Wei Wuxian stared at him, unsure and hesitant. 

 

There was the sudden sound of a certain growling sound in the silence. 

 

Wei Wuxian looked up sheepishly with a smile at the tall gentleman in purple, and he nodded. He felt he could trust this man. He seemed kind and he knew his name, and the man said he knew his parents. 

 

Wei Wuxian felt a little sad, he knew his parents were not coming back for him and he didn't want to be alone any more. It was lonely and too scary.

 

He didn't want to stay hungry, scrounging for food. He didn't want to have to sleep on the cold ground with no shelter. He knew homes with roofs were very important. 

 

So this was okay, right?

 

He was allowed, right? 

 

He could trust this man, right?

 

Wei Wuxian bit his lips, Wei Wuxian decided then, studying the tall man.

 

He would trust him.

 

Wei Wuxian mustered up the biggest smile he could. "Mm, ok, mister."

 

The man chuckled. "Uncle, A-Xian. Call me Uncle. Now, let's go get you patched up and cleaned." 

 

Wei Wuxian's eyes sparkled happily. "Okay, Uncle Jiang!!" 

 

The two left the alley together. 

 

Wei Wuxian got his wounds cleaned and patched up, dressed in new clothes, clean from dirt, blood, and grime. Jiang Fengmian asked if Wei Wuxian would like to come to Lotus pier.

 

Wei Wuxian was happy and he agreed.

 

This was how he came to be at Lotus Pier. 

 

_________________________________

 

   Everyone found themselves strangely awed and moved. Jiang Cheng was just staring in a daze and trembling. Overcome with emotion, his own and all of Wei Wuxian's emotions that had just poured through him.

 

Nie Huaisang his a soft smile behind his fan, glancing over at Jin Guangshan and Jin Guangyao. He sneered at the blatant disgust on Jin Guangshans face. 

 

Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren were slightly shaken, but Lan Qiren refused to budge on his view of the accursed and deceased Yiling Patriarch.

 

The memories continued, the crowd of cultivators were immersed in them. 

 

They watched a young Jiang Cheng chase off a young Wei Wuxian with the threat of dogs.

 

They watched as the terrified boy hid high in a tree until he was coaxed to come down by a calm, and gentle young Jiang Yanli.

 

_________________________________

 

Wei Wuxian sniffled, clinging to a tree branch as recalled the Jiang Chengs words and the threat of dogs.

 

 He shivered. He hated dogs. 

 

"A-Xian?" A young sweet voice called out for him. "A-Xian?" 

 

Wei Wuxian tried to quiet his sniffling.

 

And the the small figure of Jiang Yanli stood under the tree with a bright lantern in her hand, bright against the surrounding night. "There you are, A-Xian. I was worried." She has a gentle smile.

 

"Its isn't safe, A-Xian, please climb down from there," Jiang Yanli opened her arms, "please, A-Xian. A-Cheng didn't mean any of it. He was just upset. Please come down."

"No! He said he would have his dogs chase me!" Wei Wuxian cried, afraid and trembling.

 

"A-Xian, there are no dogs. I promise. A-Cheng didn't mean it. He came and asked me to help find you. It's alright, A-Xian. Everything's alright, so won't you please come down for your Shijie?" She spoke kindly, patiently, smiling at the shaking boy in the tree, "Climb down now." 

 

Wei Wuxian hesitated, worried and anxious, sniffling from crying.

 

He stared down at the smiling gentle presence of Jiang Yanli.

 

He gulped, before squeezing his eyes closed, and started to climb down.

 

He was close to the bottom when he slipped.

 

The quick sensation of falling rushed through him before he felt arms catch him, breaking his fall.

 

"I've got you, A-Xian. Let's go home."

 

Wei Wuxian was carried on her back, holding onto her for dear life, his tears subsiding. He felt warmth circulating in his chest. 

 

Crying sounded in the night and they followed the sound to find a young crying Jiang Cheng.

 

"A-Jie!" Big fat tears rolled down Jiang Chengs cheeks. Jiang Yanli helped her brother out of the ditch he had fallen in.

 

"A-Cheng, I told you to wait for me, that I would bring him back." Jiang Yanli sighed, but hugged her brother when he held on tightly to get neck.

 

She carried both her brothers on the way home. 

 

With some encouragement, Jiang Cheng apologized.

 

"I'm sorry! I lied! There were no dogs...I ..I..." Jiang Cheng looked down. "I didn't mean what I said," he whispered, "I'm sorry."

 

Wei Wuxian blinked, before showing a huge grin. "Its fine, fine! It's okay." 

 

Jiang Cheng relaxed, smiling cheekily speaking out, "Don't worry, from now on, I'll keep the dogs away!" He declared solemnly. Wei Wuxian gave him another bright smile.

 

Jiang Yanli chuckled. "What am I going to do with you two?" She chided fondly.

 

Both boys just looked at the other and giggled.

 

The atmosphere was harmonious as they continued the way home.

 

 ~~■~~

 

Time passed and seasons changed, Wei Wuxian, Jiang Cheng, and Jiang Yanli grew together and became closer. Wei Wuxian had become head disciple and always garnered Madam Yu's bitter ire. She would put her son and the "servants  son" against each other always comparing them and making them both in her own way. Madam Yu did love her son and daughter, but she was bitter in heart and it showed. 

 

Any comments towards him, Wei Wuxian simply swept under the rug. Or so everyone thought they saw and believed. 

 

He took the words to heart secretly and never muttered any complaints. If it were Jiang Cheng and Jiang Yanli being looked down on and badmouthed - he would instantly refute it. He never allowed anyone to talk bad about his Shiji or his Shidi. 

 

Wei Wuxian became a young promising lotus flower that refused to wilt, flourishing and brilliantly bathing itself in the sun.

 

_________________________________

 

   Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren felt something peculiar thrum inside their hearts watching the young Wei Wuxian grow up, feeling what he felt and seeing through his eyes. 

 

  The boy indeed had been a prodigy, and he had a heroic and chivalrous heart under that mischievous demeanor. And yet for him to become a monster as he had in the end…

 

Lan Qiren had never liked the boy for being too wild, free-spirited, and carefree. He was shameless and a rule breaker who loved and created chaos wherever he went.

 

Jin Guangshan and Jin Guangyao were not moved. Their disciples and the rest of the crowd of cultivators refused to let go of their hatred for the villainous Yiling Patriarch. 

 

To them, he was and is still a monster. One that they were happy was dead and gone. 

 

Gasps of shock and fear echoed as the resentful energy thickened swirling, all eyes suddenly drawn to the black flute hanging on the wall.

 

Black tendrils danced and swirled, the black flute Chenqing disappeared in the thick dark cloud of energy.

 

The crowd of cultivators simply stared at the large black ball of energy, enthralled, and full of wariness.

 

What's going on?

 

What is this?

The dark energy dispersed, fading away until a pale delicate like figure dressed in a feather-light weight, black silky robe tied at the waist with a red ribbon. A black choker collaring his neck with a blood red tassel hanging from it.

 

  The figure's white jade-like skin looked creamy and pale, almost near translucent. Long, elegant pale bare legs peeked out from beneath the black robed attire that came to a stop around the upper middle part of the thighs. The figure was also barefooted.

 

  What was even more striking was the oddly pale, crimson red eyes with long black eyelashes framing them, the eyes matching pale red lips, and the straight glossy black hair that fell down the figures back past the lower base of the spine, reaching down to the upper thighs. 

 

   The cultivators flinched under the weight of the judgment that came from the heavy red gaze directed at them. 

 

"Hmph. Were you all not taught that it's rude to stare?" A soft melodic voice spoke in the silence. "If you haven't deduced yet, allow me to make a clear introduction for you lot of hypocritical humans. I am Chenqing. And yes, I am that Chenqing," The melodic voice spoke and continued, "many of you know me as Master's 'Ghost Flute' Chenqing. And yes, Wei Wuxian is my master." Red eyes shone brightly.

 

"I would say it's a pleasure to meet you all, but… well… that would lie." Chenqing sneered.

 

"Impossible!" Cries of dismay echoed.

 

"How dare you speak to us like that?!" 

 

"How is this possible?!" 

 

The cultivators kept shouting out. 

 

Chenqing walked with languid ease and grace, and plopped himself in a comfortable place to sit, leaning back against the wall and crossing his bare legs, deigning to look back at the cultivators.

 

"I don't have to answer to any of you. You can shout your grievances all you'd like, that's what all of you do the best at anyway. Pretentious and fake, always putting your titles above all else. 

   I find that most humans are despicable. All you want to do is harm each other and have petty squabbles. Self-righteous, sanctimonious, greedy… honestly… the list of things I have to say about you all...goes on and on." Chenqing huffed, "acting entitled, just because youbelieve it should be so, you think and believe you deserve the right to obtain immortality, as all you cultivators like to put it." He sighed, glancing up at the shocked cultivators. 

 

Their faces were white and stony with wariness and anger. 

 

Lan Qiren looked as though he were about to have a stroke.

 

 Chenqing's lips curved into a slight smile as he rested his chin in his hand as he stared at them all.

 

"You have so much to see, I have so much to show you and we have things to talk about. Now, shall we really begin?" Chenqing spoke softly, his voice singing in the silence. 

 

All the cultivators were currently speechless, even Nie Mingjue was silent with shock.

 

Chenqing snickered at their expressions as he leisurely began picking at his nails in an idle, uncaring manner. 

 

Chenqing felt he himself, who was normally quite quiet and not involved in the affairs of humans, you could even call him docile, even as a flute he felt he had a quiet and shy shy personality. But he'd had enough of these damned cultivators. 

 

They drove his kind, lively, heroic and free-spirited Master to his death.

 

He would not forgive them. 

 

The cultivators felt a chill crawl up their flesh, and they stiffened at the ominous feeling permeating the room. They could feel the seething rage and distaste fromChenqing towards them.

 

Nie Huaisang hid his face behind his fan, and shivered.

 

Lan Xichen couldn't stop the shiver that ran over his body.

 

Chenqing's gaze seared into them, zeroing in on Lan Xichen with piercing red eyes, resentful energy dancing around his form. 

 

"Lan Xichen, yes? First Twin Jade of Gusu Lan?" Chenqing inquired.

Lan Xichen blinked. "Ah, yes."

 

"Well, then. Send notice to the Second Jade, Lan Wangji, you can ask it by letter. And make sure he gets it. He shouldn't be missing out on the fun. Although,  he is certainly far better and more righteous than the rest of you. I like him more that's for certain." Chenqings lips curled in disdain. 

 

Lan Xichen but his lip, worried but nodded. "Very Well." 

 

Lan Xichen sighed in his heart, feeling for his younger brother. He knew how his brother felt for Wei Wuxian, and it was only right that he should be present if they were discussing him. 

 

Chenqing turned his red gaze to stare at Jiang Cheng who had been glaring at him silently the whole time, so unlike him.

 

Chenqing gave him a mysterious smile. Jiang Cheng's heart leaped in anxiousness but he only grunted, "hmph," turning to look away and glaring childishly. Chenqing knew his late master's body was hidden in his room. But he did not call out the Jiang Sect Leader.

 

Things were going to get interesting.

 

2