Ch. 18 – What it is to be Loved
32 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"How long was I...?" Wei Wuxian questioned Lan Xuan.

"It took a few days. We thought we had failed somehow and had given up. We had no idea that it had actually worked, but I am very glad it did." Lan Xuan smiled gently.

"Everyone is still here, in the Jiang dining hall, waiting. At least all those who care." Lan Xuan told him. Except for two people, whose lives hang in the balance because of their horrid actions against you, Lan Xuan thought. He paused for a moment, sensing his baby brother's presence outside Wei Wuxian's door. 

Lan Xuan hid a smile behind his sleeve. "I think I shall take my leave for the moment and let the others know that you are back, is that alright with you? Or do you need more time to adjust?"

Wei Wuxian smiled slightly, staring down at his hands. "It's true I need some time to adjust but I will be okay," I hope.

Lan Xuan hesitated and looked at Wei Wuxian carefully with worried eyes. Wei Wuxian was far away from being okay right now, but with time and some healing, Lan Xuan believed it would all work out for the best. He would be there for his brother and Wei Wuxian to protect and watch over them. And this time Wei Wuxian would have more people on his side. Lan Xuan hoped it would be enough to help him heal. To help them all heal.

"Very well, I will take my leave Master Wei."

Lan Xuan opened the door to exit the room to find Lan Wangji standing there anxiously. How cute he is. What a shame, I really want to tease him. It will have to wait though, Lan Xuan sighed internally. His brother must have heard Wei Wuxian's voice, realizing that he was alive and that the talisman had worked and now he was anxious to see him. Lan Xuan had closed the door gently behind him before speaking.

"Young Master Wei is fine, A-Ji. He is alive and well. Be gentle with him, Wangji, and have patience. And also.. he knows. About your feelings, that is. I told him. I know, I overstepped, and I was wrong to intervene like that but I couldn't let the misunderstandings continue. He believed you hated him all this time. I know you confessed that day in the cave..but he has no memory of it. The shock and trauma of that time was very critical for him...especially after Lady Jiang sacrificed her life for him right before his eyes. When you confessed, he was practically catatonic and not in his right mind." Lan Xuan took the time to explain all of it clearly for his brother so there was no confusion or misunderstandings, and he spoke very low and had concealed this conversation from Wei Wuxian through a sound barrier.

Lan Wangji's eyes widened with every word he spoke, glistening. Lan Xuan gave him a sad smile. "I swear to you, my words are true, my beloved younger brother. And I will also say, he does not hate you. If anything it's the exact opposite. But Master Wei has been through many traumatic things and is oblivious to any romantic feelings. I have been with you all of your life. I have seen master Wei since you first met. In my eyes, he has always been quite fond of you, even smitten. He wanted so much to be your friend and tried very hard to tease you and get your attention back then before...before everything changed. I know how you feel for him, and I believe deep down he still feels the same; however, he's been through much and...he needs time to process everything and heal. Even if he tries to push you away, because it will probably happen, just be there for him, support him as you have always wanted to. Be his shelter from the storm, the rock he can lean on when he can no longer stand on his own, because he is too exhausted to. Be his guiding light when he feels lost. And this time, you won't be alone either, because I will be right here for the both of you. No matter what. And it's not just me. You and Wei Wuxian are no longer alone." Lan Xuan spoke softly, gently brushing the back of his hand down his brother's face and under his eyes, wiping the tears falling from Lan Wangji's eyes. 

"I believe it will all work out in the end, so don't worry too much. I'm rooting for you both. How does one keep the foundation of a building standing? Because it has pillars to hold it up. And I am one of those for you. Look after Master Wei for a bit, I'll be back with the others after a while." Lan Xuan smiled brightly and finally excused himself, walking away.

Lan Wangji gazed after Lan Xuan, his eyes had softened and he had stopped crying. No one saw the small, soft smile on his face. "Mn."

Lan Wangji took a deep steadying breath then exhaled, bracing himself slightly before knocking on Wei Wuxian's door.

He heard Wei Ying call out "come in" so he slowly opened the door, holding his breath until he saw the other inside of the room. 

Wei Ying stood up, he was dressed but still fixing his robes, and Lan Wangji felt his ears warm at the sight of Wei Ying bare chest and the scar from the sun branded by the Wen's. The talisman had truly worked and Wei Ying even looked a bit healthier because of it. His obsidian hair flowing around him in an unruly, wild untamed curtain when he moved, like a flowing black waterfall cascading down his back and shoulders. 

Lan Wangji realized with shame that he had frozen in the doorway, gawking at Wei Ying. 

He flinched slightly when Wei Ying glanced over at him, and paused, his seemingly dark grey eyes brightening to their silver hue and Wei Ying smiled at him. "Lan Zhan, I didn't know it was you! Come in!"

Lan Wangji had felt his heart stop when Wei Ying smiled at him like that but pulled himself together and studied Wei Ying carefully this time. Some of his movements were a little tremulous.

"Wei Ying."

Wei Ying glanced at him. "What is it, Lan Zhan?"

"Don't force yourself. Take your time. Rest." 

"Aw, you're worried about me, Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying spoke teasingly. 

They both avoided the elephant in the room.

Lan Wangji sighed a little. He wanted to be careful not to say anything that would upset Wei Ying. He was taking his brother Lan Xuan's words to heart. Lan Wangji's heart was secretly relieved and thrilled just by the fact that his heart was alive again, in this room, mere feet away from him. He couldn't be more thrilled. He wanted to hold Wei Ying in his arms and comfort him, and promise to always stand by his side. But it was too soon to rush anything. Lan Wangji would be there for him this time, no matter what. Lan Wangji waited for a few months, waited for this moment, one day hoping his love could or would return or be at least hopeful for his soul to respond to inquiry and let him know he was okay wherever he was. And he was here again, alive, and it felt like Lan Wangji had waited for many years. 

Whether it was thirteen years, or a thousand, or a million, Lan Wangji would always wait for Wei Ying, even if he had never come back. He would wait for eternity for him. And now, he was here. Truly here before his eyes when he thought he would never see those eyes or his smile ever again. 

His love for Wei Ying felt as though it was bursting from his chest, his heart thumping fiercely, a humming bird beating its frantic wings against the rib cage around his heart. 

"Lan Zhan?" Wei Wuxian had gotten extremely close without Lan Wangji realizing it and he felt his ears warm again. He internally begged Wei Ying not to notice. 

Lan Wangji kept his eyes downcast when WeI Ying's eyes tried to meet his.

"Lan Zhan? What is it? What's wrong?" Wei Ying spoke to him worriedly. Lan Wangji shook his head. He suddenly couldn't speak, because if he did, he knew his voice would break. Tears once again burned his eyes and he struggled to keep them from falling in front of Wei Ying. He didn't want his Wei Ying to see him like this. His kind, beautiful, selfless Wei Ying. Lan Wangji's heart ached. The small disbelief he had held in his heart, wondering if this was all a lie or a dream dissipated.

Wei Ying is alive. He's alive, he's here right in front of me. It's not a lie, nor a dream. Wei Ying is really here. Wei Ying, Wei Ying,

"Lan Zhan? Lan Zhan, look at me, please? Show me those gorgeous golden eyes of yours." Wei Ying's tone was oh so gentle, Lan Wangji couldn't refuse, especially when his beloved's hands gently grasped his face and tilted his head up to look each other in the eyes. 

"There you are," Wei Ying soothed. "What's with all these tears, hmm? " Wei Ying kept gently wiping them away and gave him a sad smile. "Oh my poor, poor beautiful Lan Zhan, it's okay now. Don't cry."

Lan Wangji couldn't hold it back anymore and collapsed harshly to his knees, the tears pouring out faster. He clutched tightly at Wei Ying's sleeves, gasping as he cried, trying to breathe, fervently calling Wei Ying's name desperately. 

Wei Wuxian had fallen to the floor with him in shock and alarm, worried if Lan Zhan was okay. Wei Wuxian had never seen Lan Wangji in such a state before. He was falling apart. Wei Wuxian had recalled all the things Lan Xuan had said to him before and saw Lan Zhan like this. Ln Zhan was crying because of him, for him. Wei Wuxian felt his own heart ache painfully, as tears burned in his own eyes. How could he have ruined such a good, beautiful man? And because of him... it seems his Lan Zhan has suffered a lot. 

Tears fell from Wei Wuxian's eyes now,

And he stared at Lan Wangji with sad eyes, silently apologizing. "Oh, Lan Zhan, I'm so sorry, because of me.." Wei Wuxian whispered with tears streaming down his cheeks. "I'm sorry, Lan Zhan. Please don't cry because of me, I'm not worth it. I don't deserve your tears." Or your love...

Lan Wangji's eyes flashed, shining with tears as he glared. "No! Not because of Wei Ying. Never. What happened, everything back then, it's not Wei Ying's fault. I.."

Lan Wangji's voice broke. "I never hated Wei Ying. I should have expressed my feelings clearly sooner...! I should have stood by Wei Ying's side! If I had..." maybe things would have gone differently, and maybe you wouldn't have died.

Lan Wangji took one of Wei Ying's hands, and pressed it against his chest, right up against his heart, so the other could feel it beneath his palm. "My heart belong's to Wei Ying, no one else. I..know a lot has...happened. But I choose to side with you, no matter what. I will be by Wei Ying's side, even when Wei Ying tries to push me away."

"I won't leave you." Lan Wangji vowed. Wei Wuxian wanted to scoff, and he knew his expression right now didn't look too good, he had mixed emotions and this silly, silly, ridiculous man was saying all these things and made him cry harder against his will, his nerves were all frayed and his heart was bruised and in tatters, the broken thing, but the other still claimed to love him. Underneath the pain and agony, the turmoil of all his emotions, he felt the spark of warmth that he had doused so long ago, buried in his subconscious light up and started to burn brightly, spreading more warmth through him. 

Right, all this time, even up to this point, Wei Wuxian had been a total fool and completely oblivious to his own emotions, though in his defense, a lot had happened in the past. He didn't recall Lan Wangji confessing back then, but before all the bleakness, Wei Wuxian had always thought about Lan Wangji and wanted the other to notice him, always seeking to to be the center of his attention.

Wei Wuxian sighed inwardly, mentally face palming. What an idiot I was back then...

He felt himself be suddenly pulled into Lan Wangji's embrace, as the other wrapped his arms around him tightly. "Wei Ying, it's okay.. I am not asking Wei Ying to return my feelings right away, or ever. I am here for Wei Ying. I choose to be here and I want to be by Wei Ying's side. I am here and I will wait for Wei Ying. Always. We will take things slow, whatever pace Wei Ying needs." Just please let me stay.

Wei Wuxian couldn't bear to look at him now, from the tears falling down his own face and he didn't know what expression he was making right now, but his heart hurt so much. Ridiculous man. My dear Lan Zhan...

Wei Wuxian chest shuddered with a wail he tried to hold back in his throat and he hugged Lan Wangji with desperation, burying his face into the other's chest as he cried.

"Lan Zhan?" Wei Wuxian's voice cracked. He felt fingers start to comb through his hair gently, and it felt oh so good and soothing. "What is it, Wei Ying?" Lan Zhan tone was the softest, most gentle, and warmest tone he'd ever heard from anyone before. And with Lan Zhan letting him cling to him like this and comb his fingers through his hair, Wei Wuxian felt safe and cherished. 

"Thank you, and I'm sorry..." he murmured. He felt strangely at ease and sleepy. He felt a small jolt when Lan Zhan froze at his words, before the moment thawed out again, and Lan Zhan resumed brushing his fingers through his hair.

As he started to lose the battle against sleep, he could have sworn he heard Lan Zhan's voice waver and crack again when he responded and felt a faint wet droplet hit his cheek and something soft and warm pressed against the tip of his forehead. Wei Wuxian vaguely felt fingers brushing against his cheeks softly as sleep finally claimed him.

"Between us, there's no need for thank you's or I'm sorry's."

________________

1