Chapter 25 – Siege
142 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"S-sir, the wall's height is unlike the reports."

"T-that was from a year ago, they had plenty of time to change that fact."

"S-should we wait first?"

Three battle advisors of General Ubrigate were quivering in fear. They did not want to anger the general any further, so they refrained from speaking.

Unsurprisingly, the general's face was as red as a ripe tomato.

"FUCKING IDIOTS!!!!"

*BAAAAAAM*

He slammed the war table with his right hand, and the table broke in half.

The three advisors flinched at the sudden outburst of rage.

"W-well, G-general, all our scouts went missing whenever they were sent."

"IT'S OBVIOUS THAT THEY WERE CAPTURED!!!"

"W-we're sorry for our incompetence, General.... But I think we should retreat and redo our plan."

"I-Indeed."

"NO!!! WE SHALL ATTACK NOW!!!"

"But General, it's suicide to attack now!!"

"Our outdated reports said that the walls were 20 meters in height, not 200! We can't win this, General!"

"We must retreat before they attack us."

"SILENCE!!! YOU WILL NOT CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE!!! WE EITHER WIN THIS OR DIE FIGHTING!!!"

The general's eyes were shrouded in fury. He wanted to battle so badly that not even a shred of rationality could be seen in his eyes.

"WE SHALL MARCH FORWARD AND BASK IN THE GREATER GLORY!!!"

Seeing their general's mania symptoms, the three battle advisors looked grim.

****

Outside of the Storm Fortress' outstanding 200 meter walls, siege weapons and structures could be seen.

Battering rams, catapults, ballistas, trebuchets, siege towers, and many more types of siege engines could be seen scattered in an organized manner throughout the empty grounds.

Spectating from within the walls, Lucius was ecstatic.

Although he could've easily dispatched soldiers and decimated the enemy before they reached the walls, he decided not to.

'These dimwits are the perfect training material for my boys.'

It was truly the perfect time for his soldiers to get precious hands-on experience.

'It's also going to be easy for them since I've upgraded their weapons.'

Currently, his soldiers were equipped with late 20th century weaponry.

Numerous assault rifles, anti-tank rockets, and grenades were held by his soldiers. Even a few mortars could be seen laying around here and there.

Most of Lucius' current military consisted of new recruits and their inexperienced expressions littered the place.

The veterans who were used to war wore relaxed expressions, as if the siege was routine.

'Yesss, they're starting.'

Lucius was leisurely eating popcorn as if he was watching a movie.

****

The first move was done by General Ubrigate's side.

They first shot tens of thousands of arrows towards the walls.

Sadly, the wall was too high for the arrows, so they could only hit the bottom-middle part of the wall.

Seeing this, Lucius could not help but chuckle.

He was still eating popcorn. Although this time, he was wearing his signature jet-black armor, just in case something unexpected happens.

Then, the siege weapons moved.

"Ready your anti-tank weapons!!!"

He could hear the commanding officers screamed this line in unison.

'Great, just like how I taught them.'

The soldiers weren't that stupid to let the walls get damaged by siege weapons.

*BOOM*

The first explosion happened, sugnaling what was about to happen next.

*BOOM* *BOOM* *BOOM*

*BOOM* *BOOM* *BOOM*

*BOOM* *BOOM* *BOOM*

Even the mortars got some of the siege weapons.

Soon enough, all of the siege weapons were destroyed, leaving the traumatized Zurg infantry scattered in fear.

*RATATATATATATATAT*

*BRRRRRRT*

*BANG* *BANG*

*BOOOOOOM*

*RATATATATAT*

Sounds of different guns being fired could be heard from all directions. Some explosions were also thrown into chaos.

'Ahhh, music to my ears.'

And since his organs were enhanced through numerous self-experiments, he could easily hear the muffled screaming of Zurgs from hundreds of meters away.

****

"AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!"

"Help me!!!!"

"My legs!!! My legs are gone!!!!"

"Retreat!!!"

"What?? Attack!!!??"

"UAAAAAAGGGHHHH WE'RE ALL GONNA DIEEE!!!"

Chaos was rampaging on the smoky battlefield.

Some soldiers got orders to retreat while some were advancing quickyly to their deaths.

Bits and pieces of cold weapons and human body parts were strewn all over the field.

Bodies also littered the place, and the most common deaths were caused by bullets and shrapnel.

"Arrrgghhh!!! Somebody just kill me already!!! I've lost both my arms and legs!!!"

"H-HEEEEELPP!!! HELP MEEEEE!!!"

"SOLDIERS!!! TAKE COVER!!!"

"MOM!!! I WANT MY MOM!!!! UWAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!"

"Run you fools!!!"

"NO!!! WE MUST KEEP ATTACKING!!!"

"AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! MY LEGGSSSS!!!"

Demoralized and confused soldiers could be seen arguing with each other about what they should do.

And where was the General?

Well, he got killed in the first explosion.

His body was completely charred, and so was everyone else close to him.

Suffice to say, nobody knew if he was still alive or not.

Unbeknownst to the scattered soldiers still numbering in the hundreds of thousands, their worst nightmare was about to get worse.

"W-what the hell is that!!???!!?!?"

"Look at the sky!!"

"What in the world??!!"

Flying objects could be seen moving slowly across the sky.

The soldiers who weren't that affected by the explosions and the flying bullets were mesmerized by the sight.

"Aren't they just birds??"

"Would birds make that loud buzzing noise??!!"

"I guess not."

The flying objects were newly made bomber planes.

The pilots were specially trained for a year in a secluded area of Heimer.

"T-t-they're dropping something!!!"

"OH NO!!!"

The quick-witted among the soldiers knew that the objects dropped by the flying things were dangerous.

"QUICKLY FIND COVER!!!"

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

Deafening silence could be heard after the big explosion.

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

And another one exploded.

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

And another one.

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

And another one.

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

And the last one exploded.

The 5 bombs dropped by the bomber planes were called MOABs. Anyone familiar with the name would know its controversially powerful explosions that could decimate entire city blocks.

The hundreds of thousands of Zurgs were instantly reduced into the tens of thousands.

The survivors were the luckiest of the bunch, and they were now fleeing the battlefield.

****

Although Lucius' side won without a single casualty, there were no cheers.

Instead, his soldiers were terrified of their own weapons.

Never have they thought that hundreds of thousands of humans could die so easily in the span of a few seconds.

'Well, it doesn't matter if they're terrified now. Sooner or later, they'll get used to it.'

6