Chapter 32 – Touring the Academy
45 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Believe it or not, Heimer's biggest source of air pollution was its trains.

Because of the high supply of coal due to the abundant mining resources of its mountains, trains in Heimer became the most popular mode of transport after horses.

Citizens of Heimer wanting to travel long distances over a short period of time would always choose to ride its trains.

Unfortunately, due to their overwhelming popularity, passenger trains were always full and their tickets were highly priced.

The passenger trains were divided into 4 sections.

The regular section, which had the most train carriages and seats but at the cost of its tiny and cramped seating space.

The academic section, which were freely provided for students living far away from their closest academy branch. This section's only difference with the regular one was it's spacious seating arrangement.

The business section, which was specifically provided for businessmen of major companies under the Dragon Group. This section had more seating space and one free meal per ride.

And the most special one, the VIP section, with its VIP badges.

The VIPs were usually of high economical status who paid a monthly subscription to get prioritized over regular customers.

As such, getting a VIP badge would cost around 7 times the average citizen's monthly income.

The VIP carriages were spacious and lavish.

They also provided a lot of services that people would deem to be of high status, such as fine dining, seats that can become beds, and many more.

Of course, those services were free to use, as they're already included in the subscription.

Although it was already night, Lucius was currently inside of one of the VIP carriages of a train heading to Bethus City.

Lucius was the owner of the Dragon Group, which the train company was under, making him not need a VIP badge.

Edmund was also accompanying him, as he was the one who was being toured, so he also didn't need the badge.

Since Bethus wasn't that far from Oppen, the train ride only lasted for 50 minutes.

But for Edmund, he felt like it was only 10 minutes.

He felt too comfortable to the point of wanting to live inside of the VIP carriage.

When they arrived at Bethus and stepped foot outside, Lucius laughed at him for his strange clingy behaviour over the carriage.

'Wow!'

The was what Edmund thought in his mind.

Bethus didn't look like any other academic city he had been to.

The city of 2.5 million people was strange yet oddly familiar.

This was because the native architects from this world and Earth-0 refugees who were architects had collaborate in designing the entire city.

In a nutshell, the city looked like cyberpunk city with a renaissance era touch to it.

And due to its familiarity with the Earth-0 refugees, around 80% of them chose to reside in Bethus.

Edmund looked around and wondered what the meaning of the giant neon signs were.

"Umm.... Your Majesty King Lucius?"

"That's too long, just call me Lucius."

"Ah yes, Lucius. Tell me, what do those signs mean? I have never seen those types of letters. Are they some sort of famous quotes of an ancient civilization?"

After asking that question, Edmund could hear a walking bystander laughing at him, and that same bystander quickly looked away after discovering that the King was there.

"Those are just advertisements."

Lucius quickly corrected him.

"Advertisements? You mean like the ones seen outside of commoner bars and inns?"

"Yep, those types of advertisements."

"But what's the language used? I don't understand why they would use that instead of the common tongue."

He asked while pointing at one of the neon signs.

Written on the sign was, "20% Discount For Academy Students", and it was placed on a store that sold school-related utensils.

"The language is called English. There are many reasons, but you'll understand one of them pretty quickly."

Lucius said whilst walking towards their destination.

Edmund quickly followed behund him, not wanting to be lost in the crowded city.

Bethus city was not that big. 

In fact, it only served as an extension of the Lucius Science Academy.

Surprisingly, its size can contend with most capital cities of the continent.

And its population of 2.5 million wasn't small either.

Edmund began to see why the strange language was being used as he followed along Lucius.

More than half of the people he saw, were speaking in a strange language.

He assumed that they were speaking in English, and he was correct about that.

Among the speakers were humans with strange limbs which mechanics he could not comprehend.

And there were also a lot of strange demonic-looking creatures who spoke the language.

He was so afraid of the monstrous-looking beings that he prayed for the gods to save him.

"Don't be afraid."

Lucius briefly spoke.

Edmund calmed down, but he was still wary of these creatures.

They were of course the non-human refugees from Earth-0.

"What... the hell are they?"

Edmund said while sweating profusely.

"People, just people. Their origins are far away, but they're normal people just like the elves, humans, dwarves, and beastfolk of the continent."

A Qubicuolon woman working for a cafe handed out a folded piece of paper to Edmund.

Whilst alternating his sight towards Lucius to not get lost and the paper, he quickly read it.

The folded paper was written in both English and the common tongue, so he understood what it conveyed.

It was just a pamphlet, encouraging him to check out the cafe and its various menus.

However, to Edmund, it was a brilliant surprise.

"What brilliant mind though ot this marketing strategy? I need to meet that person."

He asked Lucius, showing the pamphlet as his evidence.

"It was not just one person, it was developed over the years."

"And where can I meet these people?"

"They died centuries ago."

Lucius' reply made Edmund freeze on the spot, but Edmund soon continued to walk, though with a sullen expression.

After 5 minutes more of walking, they arrived at the entrance of the main academy.

The entrance was situated right at the border of Bethus City.

Then, Lucius loudly spoke.

"You can stop following me and come out now."

"What? Who? Me?"

Edmund was responded in confusion, wasn't he just conversing with Lucius and walking alongside him?

Why would he need Edmund to come out?

Then, 3 figures came running from the shadows of different spots.

They ran as quickly as possible towards Lucius with concealed knives and ignored Edmund.

The 3 attackers came running from 3 different angles. One from the back, one from the side, and one from above.

Unfortunately for them, Lucius wasn't a regular person.

Lucius saw everything happen in slow motion, his mind worked at an unimaginable speed.

Once he was done analyzing the attackers, he directed the nanobots inside of his body into his right palm.

Then, he executed a knifehand strike, also known as a karate chop, aimed at the necks of the attackers.

His hand sliced through the necks of all 3 attackers in one strike, cleanly beheading them.

The nanobots had formed a sharp black blade on the underside of his right palm.

Then, his left hand pulled out a revolver which he had always brought with him.

His left hand moved quicker than Edmund's eyes could follow, and stopped as quickly as it moved right at the aimed spot.

Right when his hand stopped, he shot the revolver at his target.

*BANG*

The loud noise almost blew Edmund's eardrums.

A cloaked figure fell from a nearby building's window.

The figure crashed on the ground, holding a crossbow laced with poison and a bullet wound to the heart.

Everything happened in just a couple seconds.

The citizens around the area were terrified, and the police were called.

1