9 – Goblinslayer’s are still Poor
122 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I spent the next few days healing while practicing activating my magic. I currently sat cross legged in my room on the bed with sweat profusely leaking. I had a towel out so as not to soak it too much. I was also in the nude because I would probably get heat stroke from what I was doing. From the technique it said that there were two methods so increasing mana flexibility and amount. From my status I could see…
(Magic Power: 6/11)
The first number seemed to be the amount recharged per minute, while the second was my current mana and would stop when it reached my cap which was eleven. It had taken a week for it to go up by just one point and it was beginning to annoy me. The first method was the slowest and that was to slowly practice having mania circulated through my body gently while doing things but that would take years for me to do.
The second was to forcefully burn mana through the body and as the heat escaped it would forcefully increase the amount of mana storage. The reason for this was that if I was to circulate it with my current ability then it would take about ten minutes to take down one point.
Then you may ask why don’t people just burn as much mana as possible by the method I am currently using. Well, that is two folded first you have to be naked which for some reason in this culture is taboo unless bathing or fucking and you would almost always pass out from the heat being emitted if you wore clothes. Second, it puts a very real strain on the body. I had been doing this for about five minutes and had already sweated about a litre of water and could feel a few of my muscles that had pulled.
I let out a quick breath as the huge amount of exertion had almost caused me to pass out. I opened my eyes and stared at my skin. It was literally steaming. I tried to move but felt excruciating pain as the heat was still leaving my body. I just slumped down on the bed and popped in my headphones. I just pressed play on the random list of songs I had downloaded on my phone.
Now that I think about it, was it the huge amount of questionably downloaded songs that would cause my battery to drop suddenly. Maybe. Will I get rid of them. Hell no. The only thing still keeping me sane is my mobile phone. Sure, I could only use it once the power pack had charged but it was better than nothing and once full charged would last about a few days if left on.
That gave me an idea. I had a device that could make noise. I rubbed my hands together as a plan began to form. Though before I could implement it, I would need to heal a bit first.
[BBC News]
A reporter with balding grey hair sat at his desk as he began his segment. “We begin this program with the extradition of a Japanese citizen, Oda Toru back to Japan. He was charged with Attempted murder and Reckless Driving after he suffered a mental break over a month ago. At 8:17am on the 15th of November 2022 after over an hour of reckless driving, Oda Ran over with his truck, Eighteen-year-old college student, Ryan Watson in the middle of the road.
Police have found traces of blood under the truck, but Ryan was not found. It is believed he may have been disorientated and wandered off. Police have officially stated that he is still missing, and final searches ended last Friday. Throughout the county people are still searching for his body since it is believed that since he hasn’t contacted anyone, he is presumed dead.
Now we go to our correspondent in Ukraine for the latest news.” There was a pause as the screen switched from a picture of Ryan to a young reporter with a bulletproof helmet on and she glanced to the side when a burst of gunfire went off in the distance.
‘I think it’s healed finally.’ I think to myself as I checked the rib which had broken. Now that I think about it. I only survive because of sheer luck. A single hit to the head would have knocked me out. As soon as that happened, I should have teleported behind it.
Anyway, lets get the hunt going. I spent about three hours in the forest laying the perfect trap. I wasn’t going make pit trap those were far to hard to make, instead something I remembered from a Vietnam war documentary. I found a trail which had a straight line and led to a slight clearing. I had bought a shovel for about a silver and dug forty holes a foot deep with sharp sticks in the bottom. I then covered them and laid the trail all the way to the tree.
I tied some rope to a branch after much difficulty so I could place my phone up there quickly. I then memorized the trap locations. I then set up a few loop traps for good measure and decided to test this out. I still had my teleport so as long as I paid attention, I would be fine.
I sneaked around looking for goblins. After about half an hour I found a group of seven. I sneaked up on the one in the rear and again did the whole rip their neck back and then teared the knife through the esophagus. Then after that I shouted as a few turned around to see what the noise was. “HEY! KNOBHEADS!!! OVER HERE!” Almost instantly I turned to run. I was marginally faster than them, but I would have to pay attention.
The remaining six sprinted after me. After about three minutes my breath was already strained from not having run like that before. I could hear the cackles as they chased me down the path. As much as I was exhausted a smile appeared on my face as I leaped over the first trap. I ran straight to the tree and climbed up the tree using the rope. The lower part had no branches so once I tugged the rope up, I was fine. Soon three goblins appeared but they seemed not really out of breath.
My original plan was to attract them to the tree with my phone but realized that was stupid since my phone could get damaged. I decided that I would use the tree as high ground. And even if I didn’t get any of them through this, I at least got one. If I repeated this a few more times, then I would easily make a silver or two a day. Have I broken the economy. Is this a get rich quick scheme. I had been running with only my sheath short sword which I now drew and wedged between the branch and trunk of the tree as I clung to it.
It seems my traps worked since only three made it. I threw one of the spears that I made at them, and it lodged itself in the foot of one of the goblins. While he was hopping around clutching his foot the two others darted towards me. It turns out goblins are pretty good climbers. I another spear and skewer one though as it attempts to climb. The other one is attempting to climb but I jump down behind it, and it attempts to turn around but is skewered by my spear. I then turn to the one limping around and slash at it.
My spear head is lengthened slightly and pretty thin meaning it can do slashes if used properly and I’ve been practicing a lot recently. I then turn to the goblin who was hit while climbing and skewer him in the throat while he is attempting to remove the spear from his abdomen. I then turn around and head down the path.
I begin to circulate mania through my body as it strengthens ever so slightly but I’m doing it more since it breaks down the Lactic Acid in my muscles quicker. As I walk further, I feel the fatigue beginning to go away. It said in the manual that circulating mana just removed fatigue, but it actually just helped the body break down the acid, well that was at least what I guess since that sting you get in your muscles went away after a while. This was brilliant though. I could train easily and gain muscle quicker.
I came across the first one clasping its foot that is bleeding while leaning against a tree. I sneak up behind it and the short sword dispatches it. I was in a rush since other monsters could show up for the carcasses.
I went further along and found another but this one had tripped over and passed out. I stabbed it in the neck and then moved on. I was internally worried about how easily I had become so desensitized to killing these things, but the other side was saying that these are the perfect thing to practice on since the first thing they do on seeing a human is attack. Let alone what would happen if a female was found.
I eventually found the last one which was hanging from a loop trap I had set while trying to loosen the knot. It seemed that they didn’t have anything sharp and couldn’t cut through it. Their feet had gone a weird purple. When it noticed me, it lunged at me, but I just backed off. I then thrust my spear, but its thrashing sent the aim at its throat into its shoulder. I just stabbed again, and it went straight through its neck.
I was getting terrified about the power I was gaining. I was still E rank. I think someone like an A rank would be pretty much immune to bullets. I moved on from my pondering and pulled out a knife. I cut off the ears and then made my back along the trail.
I eventually found got all twelve ears and decided to go back to the seventh one which I got first. I cursed when I got there and saw the drag patterns where something had dragged it off. I wasn’t going to go and wander through the brush and get myself jumped by something.
By the time I got back to the tree I noticed a scurrying in a bush and decided it was probably best I deal with the corpses. I dragged them all into a pile and began to burn them. Since they were monsters, they would decompose in only a few hours, but I was in a rush and wanted to do it again. I kept a leg and tossed it at whatever had been watching from the bush. There was a scurry as I heard it run off with the meat.
Whatever it was I obviously didn’t care about the taste of the meat since apparently not a single person could stomach it without vomiting. The fact they were humanoid didn’t help either. As I reset the traps, I began to think about the fact that I had taken twelve live in the last week and didn’t care that much. Sure, they were goblins but that 21st century moral compass kept batting me around the head not saying what I was doing was wrong, but it made me remember that there was a fine line between killing monsters and becoming one.
I repeated it again with four this time. Only one made it to the tree while limping. They were all easily dispatched. I uncovered all the spike traps before heading back to the town. I got 3 slivers. As I was walking to my favorite tavern after having checked all of them in the town, it dawned on me that the kingdom must be subsidizing it to keep the population down since it seemed that a large amount of them is constantly spawning. Oh, and there’s a limit of twenty goblins a week because of course they’ve thought of a way to get around people like me. So, I can only get five tomorrow. Looks like it ain’t a get rich quick scheme.
6