Chapter 3
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Richard moved closer to the source of the roar, he began to make out other sounds as well. The snapping of twigs and rustling of leaves suggested that something large was moving through the forest. He tightened his grip on his sword, his senses on high alert as he approached cautiously.

Suddenly, a large creature appeared in front of him, blocking his path. It was unlike anything he had ever seen before. Its body was covered in thick, shaggy fur, and it stood on two powerful legs like a bear, but had the head and tail of a lion. Its jaws were lined with razor-sharp teeth, and its eyes glowed with an otherworldly light. Richard knew he was facing a dangerous opponent, but he refused to back down. He drew his sword and took a defensive stance, waiting for the creature to make the first move.

The creature let out another deafening roar and charged towards Richard. He dodged to the side, narrowly avoiding its massive jaws, and countered with a swift strike to its side. The blade glanced off its thick fur, leaving only a shallow cut. The creature turned its attention back to Richard, its eyes burning with rage. It lunged again, this time with its powerful claws. Richard blocked the attack with his sword, but the force of the blow sent him stumbling backwards.

He regained his footing and took a deep breath, preparing himself for the creature's next move. But before he could react, the creature let out a piercing howl and ran off into the forest, disappearing from sight. Richard stood there for a moment, catching his breath and sheathing his sword. He couldn't believe what he had just faced. It was a terrifying creature, and he knew that he was lucky to have escaped with his life.

After a long walk, Richard finally spotted the sunlight piercing through the dense foliage, signifying his arrival at the forest's edge. Hopeful that his journey would yield some fruitful outcome, he ventured across the threshold. Despite the forest's vastness, he remained confident that the woman who had communicated with him through his dreams would be able to locate him wherever he exited the forest.

“You are late.”

Startled he spun around quickly, searching for the source of the voice. Before him stood a woman with a striking figure, with long black hair that flowed down her back in gentle waves. Her skin was a warm olive tone, and her eyes were a piercing shade of green that seemed to see right through him. She was tall and slender, with an air of regal confidence that commanded respect. She wore a long, flowing dress that was made of a material he couldn't quite identify, but it shimmered in the light and seemed to change color with every movement she made.

He couldn't help but feel a hint of annoyance as he saw her, given the circumstances he had been in recently. "Well sorry to keep you waiting," he said, his tone sarcastic. "I was just busy staying alive! You know if you had the power to find me in this vast forest, you could have just come to my cabin, would have been easier for me."

The woman's expression remained neutral, her eyes watching him intently. "I cannot enter the Forest of Ren, nor can any other beings like me," she replied calmly. "Your exile here has inadvertently kept you protected all this time."

Richard's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "I don’t understand what you are saying," he said, tilting his head slightly. "Let's start with who you are and how did you know my parents."

The woman took a deep breath and clasped her hands in front of her. Her voice was musical and soothing as she spoke. "I understand that you have questions, Richard," she said. "But we don’t have much time. You must listen to me carefully."

Richard nodded, his eyes narrowing as he studied the woman's face. He was hesitant to trust her, but he knew that he needed answers. "I am listening," he said, crossing his arms over his chest.

The woman gave a small nod before continuing. "Tell me, what comes to your mind when you think about the gods?" she asked.

Richard paused, considering the question carefully. He thought back to his childhood in the city of Silverdale in Eriador, and the lessons he had been taught. "There are 7 Greater Gods and 10 Lesser Gods," he said finally. "The 7 Greater Gods are, Othos, Sylphira, Arin, Valtor, Eryndor, Karthos and Althira. They each represent different major domains and together helped create life as we know it. Though many people still contend that these Gods are made up and do not really exist."

The woman's lips curved into a small smile. "What if I were to tell you these Gods exist, but they aren’t the benevolent beings we make them out to be but rather pretty despicable ones," she said, her tone serious. "They created life to use as playthings and treated them horribly."

Richard was taken aback by the woman's words. He had never heard of such a thing before. He shifted his weight from one foot to the other, his expression troubled. "But why would we believe such a thing? The gods have always been seen as protectors and benefactors of humankind," he said, his voice tinged with disbelief.

The woman's gaze held his steadily. "Because that is what they want you to believe," she replied. "They have manipulated humanity for centuries, and their ultimate goal is to use us as pawns in their own game. They feed off our worship and prayers, and in return, they offer us nothing but false hope and empty promises. A thousand years ago, a group of nine very powerful mages and warriors known as the Ennead rose up against the gods and imprisoned them. You and your parents are descendants of one of the members of the Ennead."

Richard leaned back, crossing his arms over his chest. "Okay, let's say I even believe you," he said, his tone indicating his doubt. "If they have been imprisoned already, how does any of this hold any meaning for me?"

The woman took a deep breath and leaned in even closer, her voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. "The memory I had shown you in your dreams," she said, her eyes boring into his. "That was around the time the prison had started weakening."

Richard's eyes widened in surprise as he listened to her. "They have still not been able to manifest, but they have granted power to a few chosen humans, their Apostles," she continued. "The night which has haunted you for so long was also caused by one of these Apostles, and they have been working towards weakening the prison. I need your help to kill them and make sure this doesn't happen."

Richard leaned back again, a troubled expression on his face. "Why me though?" he asked, his voice tinged with annoyance. "I just want to live a peaceful life. I gave up fighting a long time ago. I'm sure there are other descendants or skilled warriors or mages you could ask for help."

The woman leaned forward, her eyes searching his face. "Each of these Apostles contains a small part of the gods' spirit," she said, her voice low and urgent. "If someone other than the descendant of the Ennead kills them, that spirit will not be destroyed and will find another host. And the Apostles have already killed all the other descendants. You have survived so long because they can't enter the Forest of Ren due to its strong magic. You're the last surviving descendant of the Ennead, Richard. You have the blood of the mages and warriors who rose up against the gods and imprisoned them. And with that blood comes a responsibility to protect humanity from the very beings they once fought."

Richard let out a deep sigh, his gaze flickering around the forest around them. "Well, as you said, they can't harm me as long as I am in this forest," he said, his voice resigned. "Which means I can just stay in peace here without fighting."

The woman shook her head, her expression grave. "Are you really so self-serving as to ignore all the people who will die everywhere else?" she asked, her voice tinged with frustration. "And anyways, this magic is only strong enough to protect you from the Apostles. Once the gods are free, they will come for you as revenge, and trust me, you don't want that happening." Richard sighed, realizing that the woman was right. As much as he would rather sit in this forest in solitude, he couldn’t have so many people dying needlessly or have enraged Gods coming after him. After a short pause he finally said

“Fine, I will help you tell me the where to find these Apostles.”

“I don’t know the location of all the Apostles nor how many there are, I only know the location of one, you will find him in the city of Springpeak in Arvandor. I am sorry but I can’t stay any longer, otherwise they will be attracted to this location and find the both of us, just always remember the power of the Ennead is always within you.”

Saying this she vanished, leaving Richard alone in the forest. He took a deep breath and tried to calm himself down. This was not the kind of life he had imagined for himself, but he had no choice now. But deep down he was also relieved he finally had some purpose. He looked in the far horizon towards the east and then began his journey towards the city of Springpeak, ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead.

0