51 Tarigast Paradox
33 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Matchi– Home of the Vain – Six hundred dead – Fire

-Page six

 

It was an hour, and we sat there. Marrin’s placidly stern nature cracked as he rested his large hands on my shoulders and stroked my head. This man was an enigma, fatherly yet terrifying when embracing his rebellious nature. His bloody-stained face stared straight ahead. Lying there, I stared at his chin for I don’t know how long. But eventually, I pulled myself up and swung my legs over the edge of the bed. Jumping down, I stumbled and would have fallen if not for the large man’s lightning-fast reactions. Was he faster? My legs atrophied over the month-long coma. Knowing I did not want to be carried, he supported me as we left the medical bay.

There they were. Deckel’s red hair cropped over a chair as he played cards with his twin brother, Sam. The Mikas sat on either side of Athea, each arguing over the diminutive woman as she just rolled her eyes. Camilla stood in the corner of the room, studying her companions while dexterously spinning a dagger between her fingers. Deamos, Teggin, and the girl were in the far corner beside the strange Hud user Ceartas brought with her; thankfully, he was clothed this time. They spoke quietly but with calm smiles.

Camilla was the first to notice me, then Athea. Each remained silent, only beaming a broad smile that warmed my empty heart. That emptiness threatened to consume me like it consumed him. I needed to let these people in if I were to make any progress to avoid ending up like the Immortal Emperor.

Deamos spotted me and leveled a glare that looked hard-pressed, as if he were trying too hard to hate the man who saved his life. The others followed suit eventually. I ignored them, focusing on my friends.

“Hey, chief?” Deckel was by my side, moving while I was distracted by the children. “Can I have some credits?”

Credits… how did I have those credits? Where did they come from? I can no longer remember my alternate life, but I remember my life from beginning to end. I never had money. I opened my inventory. The spike, the money, and the golden Immortal Seed remained. So many things still didn’t make sense because I know now that everything changed. My memories were the last piece of the puzzle. It was the last connection to finish the cycle that concluded the Tarigast paradox.

I chuckled and shook my head. It probably wouldn’t stop the little thief, but I didn’t care. Marrin helped me to a chair where the rest were hanging out. Camilla was behind me in an instant and began to massage my neck. Her fingers were… they were the hands of an angel, but no. I reached, stopping her probing for knots. A little squeeze told her exactly what I needed, and her hands slipped away. Perhaps we did know each other more than I figured. 

“Not going to ask?” I ask Athea.

She shook her head with another eye roll.

“I can see that you are fine.”

“You better be careful, or else those eyes will roll out of your head.” I grinned.

She flipped me off. Funny how some things transcend a million years of human history and evolution. No one spoke, waiting for me. Yes, these were good friends.

“My name is Tarigast of Foundation Sector 4277873.” I told them.

“Is that Fornch?” Decked asked, giggling. “Sounds foreign.”

Athea slapped the creatin. I nodded my thanks to her, but I couldn’t help my smile.

“In the mid two thousands… assuming the year is the same…” I groaned. “On Earth…”

They all erupted with questions.

“What?”

“Earth?”

“It is only Myth…”

“You Lie…”

I didn’t try to argue, I only waited. They drew silent with Marrin’s lifted hand.

“Earth is real. Assuming you still have that data pad…” I glance at Athea. “Then we can go there.”

Her eyes grew wide as the data pad appeared from her extra-dimensional space. She held it reverently as if it were the finest glasswork in human history.

“So, on Earth… in the mid two thousands, there was a war. The country of America was the center of political, economic, and social power, but they were split heavily. Their civil war drew much of the world into the conflict, and when there was no clear winner after decades and millions of dead, the country was split into two. Both were beacons of prosperity and freedom. Both were liars. I am a product from nearly two centuries after that war. The Foundation was its old name but was the Holy Empire when I came around, though the sector census kept its traditional naming method. The Western Assimilation; the other country had always been an economic shithole, but they boasted their higher bits of tech to draw more and more in. I ran away and tried to work there, but there was no work. Those who couldn’t work became slaves. I didn’t like that, so I became a petty criminal with a childhood friend whose family ran there a few years before. Corey was his name. We stole, we hurt… we killed… we were lost. One day, we were given a job, and this is where things get a little… odd.”

I took a few deep breaths. Everyone sat around me now, even the children, as they listened to my story. Marrin nodded, giving me the courage I needed, but knowing i wouldn’t reframe from speaking of Pinky. 

“That day, they made me into an Immortal Blood.”

Gasps came from the children and the strange man.

“I will not relieve how, but I was just a human before; I was not born as an Immortal. When Ceartas gave me my memories back, it finished the connection, and the paradox was mended.” I explained.

“Paradox?” Sam asked.

Of course, he would be interested in the science of it.

“That was a million years ago. That day I became an Immortal Blood, and from that day, I slowly took over my world. I was that man, Tarigast, the Immortal One, the Holy One, the Faceless One… that was when my reign began.”

This was what I was waiting for. Things had to have changed.

Athea shook her head.

“Tarigast? That is not the name of the emperor.” She explains. “No one knows his name.”

Here it was. Why do I remember the previous events? Perhaps because I was the focal point of the paradox.

“Well, just hear me out. I was the emperor. I was the one you all loathed, the murder of worlds. I was the one who killed your people.” I said, looking at the Brawler. “I… I was lost, empty… evil… but those events created this universe you once lived in.” I said.

“Lived?” Marrin asked.

“Yes, lived. I think it was your cousin and friends. Somehow, they time traveled back and sent me forward in time.”

Athea and Sam gasped at the same time.

“That is why you are no longer…” she said.

I felt warm in my chest; she did not question my story; she trusted me. I nodded to her.

“When she gave me my memories back, instantly things went. The last piece connected that parallel timeline to what we have now. I tried to capture what I could.” I said, pointing at the datapad. “I am sure much isn’t accurate, but a few things are for sure, coordinates of worlds, including Earth, and more.” I explained.

“Ceartas?” Athea asked. Both Mika’s shivered at the name.

“I created her. I… I don’t know how I can’t remember, but it was me; I created the Hive with my own blood. That is their true name. That was how I controlled them, you see? Not threats of her people, no killers in the night to slit their throats. That was the flicker she was going mad about; the flicker was my blood, but with the paradox mended, she was no longer feathered to me. The memories were the only thing that held the two timelines together; I fear that she knew all this. While the two timelines were welded, it was not my blood who created her, yet it was. Someone else created her here, but my existence meant that it was me, and I think that was what she waited for. She wanted the armada here, before she freed herself.” 

“If she knew, then why did she save that man?” Camilla asked, pointing at the stranger. “Didn’t she recognize you also?” 

I shook my head.

“Perhaps the paradox was affecting her mind, splitting it from the creature I created her to be, one who desired freedom at any cost, and one who still wished to be good. I do not know. What I do know is that somehow, she planned this. She needed the fleet to be stopped, allowing her to escape. She knew that once my memories were back, I would lose control over her. She fled while there were ships, is my guess. Tell me, how did she escape?” I asked.

“The ship she destroyed… she changed the virus, and it phased out a small troop carrier. We didn’t… don’t have access to the sensors anymore, so we didn’t see it return, but she did.” Mika spat.

“Marrin.” I said, looking at the large man. “We will need to go soon. The empire will probably send another fleet in.”

“We guessed as much but need you, my boy.” He answered.

“Imona?” I said.

“On it. I was on it when I awoke a few days ago.” She said over the speaker.

Everyone flinched, looking up.

“Who is the fuck?” half of them asked.

Right... Well, seeing that she didn’t hide herself meant that she was ready to come out. 

“Oh right, everyone, this is Imona. Imona, this is everyone. Imona is my Hud.”

Silence.

“You…idiot…” she said.

2