67 A Robot
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

       “I see you pointing, but I still don’t see a way down from this column.” Athea told me.

            Still standing there all dramatic, with my cloak billowing in a breeze that didn’t exist, I froze. Then looked down over the edge, then back towards the ship looking for… looking for anything.

            “How the hell do we get down from here?”

            I started making my way around the large platform, when a large hover platform floated up from somewhere below. A circular base, only an inch thick, floated along the edge. A grey hover platform, affixed with a mechanical being at its center, was ten feet in diameter and had nothing else noteworthy.

            “May I be of assistance?” A mechanical voice asked.

            “Oh… my… god… a ROBOT!” I practically giggled seeing the automaton.

            Itself was rather simple compared to my imagination. Five feet, and with no legs, its elongated waste stretched to rather normal proportions for a human. With skin a matching grey, it looked scarily human save for two things. Not wearing clothes, it still had the appearance of a shirtless male but without nipples, hair or bellybutton. Other than that, I could tell what it was based on its eyes. They were cold, blank, white spheres lit with some inner mechanism that followed me as I practically skipped to it.

            The moment my right foot touched the platform, I phased right through and I fell. I didn’t have time to scream before Athea grasped the back of my armor and yanked me back on the surface. It was a bit rough if you ask me as I was sent flying across nearly twenty feet.

            “You have not paid.” The voice echoed out.

            That voice was now the target of my ire. I stood back up, dusted myself off unnecessarily, and stalked up to the mechanical asshole. I glanced over at Athea. She was hiding a smirk… unsuccessfully. Glaring at her, I remembered my helmet was up. I wanted to have some words with her, but time was short as I glanced towards the stalker meter in the corner of my view.

            “Right, I need you to take me… umm… that way.” I pointed.

            “You have not paid.” He repeated.

            “I don’t know where to go. I just need to go that way.” I growled.

            “You have not paid.”

            “YOU’RE BEGINNING TO PISS ME OFF!” I shouted.

            “You have not paid.”

            I stepped back and summoned my gladius. I was about to swing when Athea shoved me back.

            I fell backwards and on my ass. She was smirking again. A bit of broken composite material scattered around me from falling. I grabbed a fist sized piece and threw it at the antagonizing machine. Aaaaaaand it just phased through its forehead. My blood began to boil. The thing then hovered up higher and flew towards me. It angled itself downward, staring at me.

            “You have not paid.”

            “Ohhh… Someone is going to die today.” I growled.

            I fucking hate this world…

            “You have…” it began.

            “HOW MUCH!?”

            Athea was absolutely zero help. In fact, she was only making it worse!

            “Two credits a mile.” He replied.

            “How can I pay you… IF I DON’T KNOW WHERE I’M GOING YET!” My inquiry ended with a good old scream.

            The platform flattened out.

            “Your question is deemed relevant.” It said.

            “RELEVANT?”

            “Three credits a mile.” It said. “You can pay before we arrive.”

            “You… are… the worst robot!” I shouted.

            “Four credits.”

            “Y…”

            “Knock it off. Let’s just go.” Athea said, still stifling a smile.  

            “Can I get on?” I asked.

            “Yes.” The robot replied.

            I did. The platform rang out lightly as my metal boot slapped angrily against it. Athea joined me.

            “I will take its head off when we get there.” I whispered to her.

            "It would not be wise," the robot said. “I can exist without my head. I can also drop you at any point.”

            I glared at the thing I now hated more than anything else since getting my memories back.

            “Go… that… way…” I said forcibly calming myself down.

            “Righty oh!” it shouted cheerily.

           The damn machine flew off with such speed that Athea was sent flying into me. That, in turn, sent me flying off the edge. Thanks to my higher cognition, I was just barely able to catch the platform zooming underneath me. Athea flew past me; I outstretched my other arm and caught her wrist just before she was out of reach. I had a half breath of relief before her momentum tore us both free from the platform and out into the open sky.

1