Chapter 12 – A Brave Maiden
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Your name is Tasha, correct?”

Ovelia said, she was not asking a question. Stepping forward at Tasha; she continues—

“I- I’m Ovelia Catisha, A friend of Louis.”

Although she stuttered, it was not from fear, but it was from the nervousness.

Her words caught the attention of everyone in the room including the sinister Aura, Especially from Louis. He can’t bring himself to imagine opposing that his Helmer. Not when he was filled with a fear-inducing aura.

‘Throughout my year with Helmer… Never would I thought someone would be able to withstand yet alone talk to Helmer on the first time they see his Aura.’

Tasha once faced a guild on his own, with that Aura.  A guild with strong men and caster, the powerhouse of a certain city. Their men witnessed battle after battle. And woman alike, never shying from slaying magical beast capable of ravaging a city.

Yet not a single one of them was able to stand firm on the first sight of it.

His mind races with possibility regarding why. But none of it was accurate.

It was neither because the strength of a body, nor the might of spells.

It was by her heart alone.

“A-are you trying to save this kingdom?”

Being thrown in this situation was very unexpected for Ovelia. She didn’t understand much at the moment.

Recalling her conversation with Louis at the Construct, from what she knew a calamity will befall the kingdom in the future, and Louis is preventing it. For Tasha being the mentor figure of Louis, he surely will help him prevent it.

This situation perplexed Ovelia first. But everything made sense if he put Louis, Elle, and Tasha as one body of group. A group with a very odd dynamic of relationship trying to achieve the same goal.

This explains Elle’s nonchalant expression over this matter, Louis and Tasha’s casual tone of conversation, and Tasha helping Louis after they fought.

Nevertheless it didn’t clear the question of ‘Who are they? Why do they approach the problem in such a rogue approach? What is their true motive?’

Tasha stood there in front of Agris without replying immediately. Agris was sweating profusely at their exchange. Ovelia too starts sweating, waiting for Tasha’s reply.

 “No. My goal only happens to align with it,” Tasha said in a flat tone.

The Aura retracted slowly, as if it listens to its master’s command. It disappeared. Tasha’s complexion seems to return to normal. Although not as intense as before, the remnants still lingers there.

“Then, I-is t..his the only way?” She asked vaguely. Ovelia didn’t really give much of a thought—her question that is.

Regarding the Aegis, she believed in what Louis said.

For them, a group of powerful individuals, the kingdom will surely listen and support them. Because this concerns the whole kingdom, surely they will believe them?

There is no reason for them to “go rogue” over a mission grand with a noble cause. A mission to save the kingdom without them knowing. Such heroic deeds will not only get no recognition and rewards, but it will go unwritten in history.

Isn’t he one who long of that? Doesn’t everyone?

—Fame, glory, riches, and authority.

Tasha looks at the crystal at his hand. The foreboding energy is ever growing inside. It tells him that imminent destruction is near. He bitterly lifted the corner of his mouth recalling his past.

“There is, but only a way with plenty of suffering and death.”

Tasha would never trust blindly. His past is a testimony of that.

Allying with the kingdom sounds reasonable at first, but then there is the factor of how the king will react. If he reacts with hostile and took over the Aegis with no precaution; only disaster ensues. If the king does support them, it still depends on how much authority he has over the rest of the noble.

For example, if the king’s authority is unstable, he would only spark conflict over the ruling class.

A conflict over gaining power, over the Aegis of all things. In this situation it will only lead the kingdom straight into the disaster. Tasha had seen it one too many times. One by one consumed by their thirst of power then further devolving. Whether it is the count, marquis, or a duke.

You will never know if there are individual spy and rivals of this kingdom waiting for years in a face of lies—waiting for a sweet chance to befall this kingdom.

Sure enough there are certainly some with sincere intent to help, but they are only the minority of nobles.

There are too many factors that play into this. Tasha simply didn’t have the time to gather all information. Even the factor of when the Aegis will be breached is unknown.

Even if all of that works out in Tasha’s favor, there is still the fact that convincing the king and the nobles will take a lot of time. Only those with the gift of Runes know of the disaster coming in the future. This made it even harder to convince them.

Only by examining the many ‘ifs’ will Tasha act.

Too many things is unknown, he will never be so foolish to dance into an opponent’s tune of scheme before he know.

In two months of their stay, Tasha and his friends have only known where the Aegis was. And Tasha only accomplished half of his goal in this kingdom. Over the period of time in the future, they will know how much of time they have left.

Ovelia lowered her head, her breath becomes rough. She wasn’t convinced with what he said. She firmly believed that there is a better way.

“Don’t feel down, your courage is already commendable.”

Tasha’s complexion becomes gentle. The maiden in front of him reminds him of a certain young man he knew in the past.

“Don’t make a fool of me!”

Agris shouted. She had step back quite far from Tasha. Standing there, she felt defeated and miserable. A young weak maiden had done what is insurmountable to her.

‘How can she stand it? To talk to that monster…Didn’t she feel fear and the crushing pressure too?’

Ovelia did actually. The fear she experienced is no less than her. Ovelia’s felt her vision go hazy and her knees become weak. She didn’t feel any better that Agris.

“Saving the kingdom? What outrageous thing is this? For you to turn this matter of thievery into a valiant act of saving the kingdom!”

“If I tell you, would you understand? Would you understand that this Aegis is a gate of disaster and it will open in the near future?”

Something about Tasha’s gaze and voice made Agris speechless. She still feels fear rising in her heart every time she looks at him. But it was not that. The Aura was now gone.

She didn’t know what to do. Should she take Aegis back? Should she believe them?

No matter what it is Tasha believed Agris is stalling for time.

“Ovelia, right? How about joining my guild? I doubt you have many place to go after this.”

“Are you in the same guild as Louis?” She asked with nervousness. Tasha chuckled lightly hearing that.

“Yeah, in fact I’m the guild leader.”

“Then l think..I think I’m willing,” Ovelia said.

Agris who was completely at lost finally snapped.

“What do you take me as!? I’m The Overseer of TROI!”

She instant casted a burst-type area-of-effect spell. It was mid-level an explosion spell.

Tasha immediately raises his ward, but Ovelia was not so fortunate. She got caught in the perimeter of the explosion and fell down.

“Ovelia!” Louis shouted.

Tasha dashes in Agris direction. He closes in the distance between in them in a second. He grabbed Agris’ hand and glared at her. His torn out left hand sent out a shock.

Literally shocked by the pain and how fast Tasha reacted. Agris’ tired body finally fell unconscious.

Ovelia’s blurry vision only made out a figure with black armor rushing at him from the distance before she too fell unconscious.

.-.-.-.-.-.

Sometime after, Tasha, Louis, and Elle were jogging through the maze like narrow streets. It was a serene night with minimal light. The light was only provided by the ever glowing Runic Lamp installed on the paved road.

The many shops were already closed in this late hour.

We were not traversing the wide road; instead we went for the small road sandwiched with many building.

“Tasha, how did you infiltrate TROI with such confidence?” Elle asked Tasha.

Tasha is leading in the front, while Louis and Elle were following from behind. Elle was carrying a girl on her back.

It was Ovelia.

Louis hasn’t spewed a single word throughout the way.

“Hmm? What do you mean?”

“Aren’t you afraid of the elite guards surrounding you? What about the Kingsman?”

“Oh that, Weiss had taken care of it. I think he enticed some goons to cause a ruckus in a palace, or something like that,” he said while running. Surprisingly, he was able to keep a good pace of running even after the battle.

Outside, he might act a bit reckless. But no one is comparable to him in a battle he’s serious.

“You shall speak not of the devil, for the devil Himself is here.  Look, Weiss is here,” he said; glancing behind his shoulder.

A tall man with broad shoulder was running atop the roof of tall houses while Tasha is speaking. He was wearing a shining hand-bracer that reflects the moonlight itself.

As big as he is, he did not cause the roofs to collapse nor did he break the tiles of the roof. He lands on front of Tasha and continue running with us.

“Isn’t that what they used to say to about you back in day Tasha?” Weiss said, but he didn’t respond as he was greeting him.

“Hey Weiss, You made it.” Weiss nodded.

Weiss seems too exhausted to greet to Louis and Elle, as he only glance back and nodded.

“Did he put up a good fight? You look miserable.”

Weiss had fought the chief of TROI on the other side of the entrance. That made sense because Tasha wouldn’t walk so freely without one of his friend accompanying him. Not when he’s in this state. But with Weiss, he can rest sure to run amok in the base of TROI.

Funnily enough, Tasha was teasing Weiss. He mentioned how Weiss was after a fight because back in the day, Weiss would act triumphant and boastful no matter how bad in a state he was after he wins.

 “Sigh. He is strong all right. But he is dangerous, Tasha, don’t mess around with him yet. Not when you’re like this.”

Tasha eyes widened a bit.

“Oh? Is he a magic user or a warrior?”

“Worse. He’s both, like Louis. ”

“!”

‘What? The old man is a Dual Class too?’ Louis thought.

 

0