Chapter Fifty-One – Leah’s Long Legs
911 5 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome back.

I'd like to do a shoutout. First one on SH - though please be aware that the link leads to RR!

I've read the first chapters, found that I liked it, and have entered it into my reading list. It's worth your attention.

 

TailSpin is another entry in the universe of Artem, and just like my previous shoutout Underdog, this one too's kinda dark. Darker than Tinea and Leah, to be sure!
But if you like yourself some bitter Cyberpunk chocolate, this'll be right up your alley:

Cybernetics, mounting debt and a flight for survival.

Driven by his ultimate goal of soaring through the air as a pilot, Rusty will do whatever it takes to get there. Whether it's scaling the towering skyscrapers of Artem for work or gambling on himself in high-stakes street races.

In the cutthroat city of Artem, the only way to live a long life is to not get intwined in the business of the rich and powerful. Rusty's dreams are about to come crashing down, hard.

After a devastating accident leaves him homeless and for dead, Rusty finds himself clinging to an old military card left by his stepfather as he walks away for good. It bears a name he's only heard in hushed tones. Captain Michaels.

Making a pact with the devil, Rusty signs unknowingly for experimental cybernetic surgery and joins M-corps hottest flight school.

Now, owned by one of the largest conglomerates in Artem, and with nothing but the ticking clock of his failing tech, Rusty must hunt for any advantage—grow faster, train harder and pray death doesn't come calling all too soon.

-----------------
Here is an additional link in case things do not work.

Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/65039/artem-tailspin

Chapter Fifty-One - Leah’s Long Legs

“If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em!” *BOOM*

– Road Rash, kicking the snot out of a model Fourteen with his new foot, landmine integrated

 

***

 

Each off-white plastic box contained a limb, along with two different bottles of liquid. One a spray, and the other with some kind of…pipette?

The purpose of that became clear when she unzipped the Sleeve and shucked it off of one shoulder. She used the straw thingy of the bottle to squeeze a little of its fluid between her skin and the rim of that plain metal cap stuck to the end of her stump, until it slid free with a plop and fell to the floor.

The stump itself was unmarred. My bionites had sealed any wounds, removed any scars. It looked almost like she was just born that way.

Wait, was she, actually? I thought she’d implied that they’d taken her limbs to stop her from running away, but… Uh.

Leah herself studied the stump, too, checking it for…irregularities. I guessed.

“I just realized, Leah, I might’ve assumed you lost your limbs in the kidnapping? Or was that from before?”

She made a surprised face, but replied, “Oh, no, that’s new. Did that never come up?”

“I don’t think so?”

“Huh. Strange. Oh well. Yeah, they did that, and it ached quite badly until you helped me heal.”

“Ah. They look like they’ve always been that way now, I guess.”

“Yeah they do, and Ypsi tells me that’s good. Simplifies the seating of these Earth-style prosthetics. The proper Warforge ones I’ll get at some point will be integrated on a far more direct level. Speaking of seating, time for the implant.”

She sat forward, bracing her remaining arm across her knees and laid her forehead against it. A position I was familiar with from my own installation of the dream learning implant.

I twitched and grimaced in sympathy when she did, as I recalled that instant of blinding pain splitting my head.

She groaned, and only barely stopped herself from trying to rub her eyeballs with the heel of her exoskeleton hand, and groaned even harder.

I giggled a little, and offered, “Here, I’ll lend you mine.”

Leaning towards her, I stretched out both arms, heels first, and Leah accepted with a tickled chuckle, pressing her closed eyes into my palms.

I let her control the pressure as I gently kneaded her eyeballs with tiny motions of my wrists, until she leaned away again with a relieved sigh and a smile.

“That was horrible, but hopefully worth it. Ypsi says the implant will allow me to control any prosthetics like they were part of my body, even if they’re not attached to me.”

“Any prosthetics? Could you designate random machinery as prosthetics? Vehicles?”

Leah tilted her head, and Ypsi answered for her.

It has to be designed as a prosthetic! There’s technical stuff those have that other machines don’t. But there are devices that Leah can interface with, which sort of adapt them to be like prosthetics, too. Usually vehicles! Then she can use the implant to remote-control them!

“Huh, that sounds pretty useful. Future purchase?” I asked Leah.

“Maybe. Most of the advanced combat vehicles come with piloting pods that connect to your nervous system, but they need a different implant to handle.” She pointed at her own head, before continuing, “This one’s really just meant for personal prosthetics, body additions, that kind of thing. So, these,”

She picked up the artificial left arm, the Sleeve contracting itself around her torso when the weight of the limb almost pulled her other shoulder free. 

It was a matte black, with those Warforge golden lines swung around it, leading into filigree on the back of the hand. It didn’t have the characteristic white vapor, and the white highlights were just well-placed strips of lighting.

Basically, it followed the same rules of design, but it was a knockoff.

Oh well, cheap was cheap, and they were supposed to be very temporary.

There was a cup at the top of the arm, obviously shaped to conform to her stump, and Leah sprayed it down with the second bottle, before she fitted it onto herself. With an internal hiss of air, it suctioned right on.

Leah tested her new hand, opening and closing her fingers, rubbing them across the hexagon grid of the Sleeve. A delighted grin spread over her face, and she looked at me. “Well, this is better than I expected, honestly! It feels absolutely realistic. If I didn’t see the metal, I’d think I had a natural arm.”

“Oh, awesome! How strong is it?”

“Uh, roughly equivalent to the strongest climber in grip strength. The real limit isn’t actually the arm, but my shoulder, spine, and musculature. So, practically, it’s as strong as my original arm in most situations.”

“Huh. Do you think you can use it to train yourself, like, passively?”

“Maybe? I’ll figure it out.”

Leah got busy replacing her other limbs, and I helped her with the legs. These were quite a bit heavier than the arms and having me assist made things easier.

The legs were beautifully shaped, artificial muscles traced with golden lines, and the matte black and gold showed interesting contrasts to create stylized shadows and the attractive contours of a professional model. The toenails were illuminated in white, with a tiny amount of iridescence to them, much like nail polish. Still none of the vapor, but the soft white light managed to look like a homage to the Warforge look, rather than a cheap copy.

“Why do these look so much better than the arms?”

“I got more expensive models for the legs. I figured that since they’ll bear my weight, along with any gear I’m wearing, and they’re more often in reach of Antithesis jaws, it’d be better if they were more durable. Had to compromise with the arms, but I intend to switch those out soon, anyway.”

“Oh, smart! How do they feel?”

She smoothed her hands over the artificial muscles, and they weren’t stiff. Rather, it looked quite like the pliability of organic flesh minus the subdermal adipose layer. And more, the muscle fibers underneath the fused topmost filaments that acted as both muscle and skin, could move and slide, which Leah completely fixated on.

“This is like a deep muscle massage, Tinea! I could get used to this!”

I had to giggle at Leah's utter enthrallment, and she retaliated by pointing a finger at me…which squirted water into my face.

While I was still sputtering in surprise, ‘cause, who the fuck installs a squirt gun in their prosthetic?!, Leah was already laughing her ass off, yelling “Revenge is mine!”

Oh, yeah? Well, if that is so, precedent has already been set!

After her own example, I jumped her, and tickled the crap out of her, until she was red with breathlessness and begged me to relent.

I decided to stop before things got cringey, and sat back, looking at Leah with a wry smile.

“Truce?”

“Truce.” Uh-oh. I was getting to know her well enough to read that suppressed shiftiness. This cease-fire wasn’t going to last very long, was it?

Leah caught my eyes, realized I’d realized, and hurried to speak while trying to hide a grin, before I could say anything.

Arms outstretched, she asked, “Help me up? I want to see what it’s like to walk on these.”

She still had the Sleeve on, and it was starting to look a little awkward, with the arms and legs just flopping around, hanging off of her torso. At this point it was more like she was wearing a weird tube with dangly bits, than any kind of clothing or support.

I got up, and once more positioned my feet against hers, grabbed her hands, and carefully pulled her to her feet.

She stood stable, perfectly fine, though with intense focus on her face as she looked down at her feet, lifting one after the other, taking experimental steps to the side, before she let go of my shoulders, and began walking in tiny little circles around me at the center of the cocoon.

I kept still and quiet, just watching as she learned her new very…long…legs. Crap, she was hot.

Maaaybe not wanting to break her concentration wasn’t quite the real reason for my silence, but, uh, secrets are fun! Yes!

Eventually she hopped lightly, grinned at me, and said, “These are awesome! The, uh, mechanics of walking on them are a bit different. It feels real and all, like actual legs, but they’re not a copy of my old ones. I think the proportions are a bit different? Oh! Right, it’s like I’m wearing high heels, just stable!”

“Well? How do you feel?”

“Great! Honestly, these are making me think somewhere deep down that I’m dancing. Constantly on my tippy toes, just without the effort or strain that would’ve taken.”

“Huh.” I tried to imagine that, and found my vanity rather enjoyed the sense. “I can see how that’d be awesome. Maybe I’ll try that too, with my Battle Skin, some day? I had this idea of growing a special kind of chitin armor around my feet like some of those cute cosplay platform shoes, but, segmented? Cover them with fuzz, and it’d be all sorts of cute. Add a little heel, and it’d be…more than cute? Also, quite durable.”

Leah tilted her head, as she studied my feet. I flexed my toes impishly, making her grin again.

“You know what, I think you could absolutely rock that kind of aesthetic. Is the fuzz going to be the same as the one on your tail?”

“Yes. At least it’ll look and feel very similar. I’m going to have to figure out how to make it hydrophobic, though. Ah, Tynea. Can you help with stuff like that?” I asked the friendly sort-of-maybe big sister AI. Mmm. She was gentle enough for that, but maybe not quite personal enough? Friendly neighborhood big sister? That was a little better… Secretary? No, that was much too formal. Uh… Maybe I’d come up with a proper term some other day.

Certainly, though the Battle Skin comes with a limited variety of seta you may grow. You could do much more with the right catalog addition.

“Like what?”

Your skin is currently able to grow its hair into a variety of shapes and colors, and can mimic a variety of textures. If you want to grow external coverings, as in, armor, then that would be a new function that would require your seta to fuse with each other. That’s a minor genetic change, and fairly cheap.

“Oh, but that does sound useful! Hmm, not vital though, right now. Let’s look into that again when we’re done escaping.”

As you wish.

I turned back to Leah and asked, “So. Squirt gun. What’s that about?”

She smirked at me. “Well, I figured since you needed a shower… The other hand does soap, by the way.”

“!”

“Yep.” She said, more satisfaction adding itself to the smirk.

“How do you handle the water, though? No way do you fit more than a liter in that arm.”

She popped a panel above her elbow, at the back of her arm, and showed me a round plug that was stuck head-first into some kind of tubing. Neither those tubes, nor the plug itself, fit with the design. They looked a bit like after-market alterations.

“I’m cheating a little. See this thing? It’s actually a specialized kind of grenade from my Warforge catalog. Usually these things spray a whole bunch of nasty chemicals, but I’ve got this one loaded with normal water. It’s very basic dimensional shunt tech, kind of like your void grenades, just stable and meant to contain and dispense. Since I had Ypsi customize the arm a little, it counts as a magazine, or tank, and that means I got this first one for free. There’s fifty liters of water in here, but I could get much bigger compression rates if I paid a few more points.”

“Oh, that’s cool! Same with the soap?”

“Yeah. Not sure how I’ll use up fifty liters of soap, but yes.”

I grabbed Leah’s hand, and started dragging her out of the cocoon, towards the stairs.

“Shower time!”

 

***

 

If you'd like, please leave your thoughts in the comments down below, and perhaps rate Tinea and Leah, or even give it a review.

I wish to earn my living as an author eventually, so I've got to partake in that sort of economy with those sorts of algorithms, and your ratings, reviews, and especially your advanced reviews, would drastically help me gain traction!

Each of those is worth twice as much to RR's ranking list as the previous, while comments and view are kind of left by the wayside, unfortunately.

If you know of a friend who might enjoy this show, please share Tinea and Leah with them.

Thank you.

Discord! This is where we meet, to share feedback, suggest ideas, or just to have a chat!

61