Chapter 1: Leyin
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Chapter 1: Leyin
Leyin, a seasoned guard, stood watch at the front gate of the Wynn household estate alongside his partner, Geirn. For most of his life, Leyin had dedicated himself to this line of work, starting as a trainee at the age of 15 and now approaching his retirement at 45. As he daydreamed, a sudden clap of thunder snapped him back to reality, followed by Geirn's grumbling about the sudden change in weather.
Pondering the strangeness of the event, Leyin reflected on his long tenure in the household of one of the great Archwizards of the Empire. It was a place where peculiar, astonishing, and sometimes downright bizarre occurrences were not uncommon.
Interrupting his thoughts, Leyin noticed a figure rapidly approaching. Strangely, the figure wasn't mounted on a horse or even running; it appeared to be floating just above the ground. Both Leyin and Geirn found this scene immensely bewildering. However, drawing upon his years of experience, Leyin managed to react calmly and respectfully demanded that the figure identify itself.
Stopping a few meters away from the guards, the figure halted, causing Leyin and Geirn to grow cautious and grip their short spears in preparation for a potential attack. Slowly, the figure revealed herself, removing her hood to unveil a majestic old woman emitting a vibrant aura despite her age. With deliberate movements, she reached into her robe and tossed an object towards Leyin, commanding him to present it to his lord.
Examining the object carefully, Leyin realized it was a seal or a proof of identity. The round seal depicted a crescent moon with either a waxing or waning shape, and an eye symbol on the dark side. It was an emblem unfamiliar to Leyin, and Geirn seemed equally perplexed. Leyin raised his gaze from the seal, meeting Geirn's expectant eyes, waiting for a command.
"Bring this to Lord Archmage immediately and seek his instructions," Leyin ordered, briefly scanning the archers stationed in the watchtowers on either side of the gate before returning his attention to the old woman. She wore a disconcerting smile that sent a shiver down his spine. Leyin waited anxiously for his companion to return, stealing occasional glances at the enigmatic old woman, trying to recall if he had ever encountered her before.
A few minutes later, Geirn appeared, initially running but then transitioning to a stiff walk as he approached. Leyin noticed his partner's unusual demeanor and wondered what had transpired with the Lord Archmage.
Geirn bowed respectfully and apologized, addressing the old woman as Madame Annawen.
"We deeply apologize for our ignorance in failing to recognize you. Please allow us to escort you to the Lord's residence; he eagerly awaits your arrival." Leyin froze upon hearing the name Annawen. It meant that she was Lady Valeria's mother, who has never set a foot in this lands. He had suspected Lady Valeria to be a powerful wizard, but the aura and strength exuded by her mother indicated that the Lady of the household might be no less of a mage than the Lord Archmage.
The guards promptly began guiding Madame Annawen inside the estate, but she graciously declined their assistance. 
"I appreciate your kind offer, good sirs, but fear not. I am familiar with the way," she said, her eyes brimming with a mysterious power.
With that, she strode confidently towards the Lord's residence, taking large, purposeful steps. Doubt filled Leyin's mind. How did she know the way if she had never set foot on these grounds before? 
The arrival of Madame Annawen had ignited an air of mystery, leaving Leyin eager to uncover the secrets she carried within her. Little did he know that her presence would unravel a series of events that would forever change the course od the continent.
0