31. Second Essence
1.2k 1 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Dragon Essence mercenary company building.

"But, how could that be even possible? Didn't my lady absorb the thunder bull essence before?"

"That is the only explanation."

"Yes, her reaction looked awfully similar to when people absorb the essence."

That was the first thing Thyra heard when she felt her consciousness returning to her body. When she touched the essence stone, those present were positive that she had absorbed the slime essence.

While Justin, who wasn't there when she did it, reacted with more rationality. He said, "No matter what, that shouldn't be possible. Absorbing the essence is signing the pact between the human soul and the beast. And one soul could sign with only one. It would be only possible if my lady had two human souls in her body."

Both Jullia and Varsa wanted to say something, but they couldn't think of any logical point for the argument.

However, Thyra understood everything. She was sure that the original soul of Thyra had bonded with the thunder bull essence, while her soul bonded with the slime essence.

"Maybe my lady is the first dual essence wilder." Thyra was sure it was Jullia talking.

"That would be great." Justin added, "It would have been better if it were some other monster essence instead of a common slime."

"It was an uncommon slime essence." Varas added, "But I think she was able to absorb the essence because it was slime. It would have conflicted with the thunder bull essence if it were any other beast, destroying her body."

'Oh! That was what it was.' As soon as Thyra lost consciousness, she appeared in the darkness. The only things she could see and hear were lightning and thunder.

When she concentrated, she found it had a shape similar to a bull. And they weren't alone. There was a giant blob of liquid in the darkness too. Unlike the bull that was running at a distance, the blob was sticking to her. She understood it was slime.

"But why isn't my lady waking up? It's been almost two days. Today is the day of her coming-of-age ceremony."

As Justin was talking, Thyra opened her eyes. However, as she tried to sit up, she found she couldn't control her body.

Jullia quickly supported her, saying, "My lady, you should take it slow. Your body will take time to get accustomed to the slime essence."

"When is the coming-of-age ceremony?"

"My lady, there are still four to five hours before the ceremony starts." Thyra felt Justin was a little more respectful than before.

Receiving Thyra's nod, Justin added, "My lady, we have a little problem."

"Huh?"

"My lady, Count Cook's daughter isn't willing to marry you. He is willing to compensate you."

"That's all?" To Thyra, it wasn't anything important at all.

"My lady, the other nobles knew she was your fiance. If she didn't marry you, it would sully your reputation."

"What can I do with my reputation? Can I sell it? If it was a matter of money…" Thyra stopped and thought briefly before asking, "When did he inform you?"

"The day you lost consciousness."

"Good, good."

"What is it, my lady?"

"He is rich, right?" Receiving Justin's nod, Thyra continued, "How much gold do you think I can get from him?"

"Gold?" Justin needed help understanding what Thyra was talking about.

"Didn't he say he would compensate me?"

"Yes."

"Good, then spread the news. After I heard the news, I was heartbroken. I have been bedridden for two days. The more you blow the rumour out of proportion, the more gold coins we will get from him."

"I had never thought the princess of the kingdom would care more about gold than her reputation."

Thyra smiled at Varas, answering, "I will be fighting war after a few months. Reputation won't protect me or my soldiers from the enemy. Gold will."

"I like how you think, my lady." Thyra noticed that it was the first time Varas called her 'my lady.'

She wasn't sure about his identity, but seeing as Jullia and Justin were okay with him knowing her identity, it should mean he is an important character or has been in the past. Also, he knew her mother well.

"But I don't understand one thing." Varas was the first to point out, "No matter how rich Cook is, he won't dare to break the engagement with a Viscount. And being the money grubber he is, he would go against a noble unless…"

"Unless someone higher is supporting him," Jullia completed his words as all three of them turned towards Justin.

Justin sighed, adding, "It's Count Thais. To be precise, it was Kreza Thais, his second son."

*********

"Braon Cook," Justin called. Thyra was following beside her.

"Viscount Hoax!" The fat man greeted Justin. He was wearing a luxurious dress decorated with different coloured jewels. Holding a wine glass, he turned towards Thyra, saying, "This young lady must be young lady Thyra."

Thyra tried to follow the custom as much as possible. "Greetings, Lord Cook."

"She is the one."

Thyra remembered the crisp voice. It was the same chubby girl she had seen at the market.

"Melanie, Nisa, show your respect to the Lord." While the chubby girl's greeting was worse than Thyra's, the other girl gave a complete bow.

It was only then that Thyra noticed that there was another girl behind Cook. At first, she thought the girl was a maid.

Although she wasn't skinny, she was nowhere near chubby enough to be called the daughter of Cook. Only then did she remember that no personal maid was allowed at the ball.

One more thing that Thyra noticed was her colour. From what she had learned from Jullia, she was sure this girl's mother must also be from the other side of the ocean.

"What do you want?" From the got to go, Melanie was quite hostile towards Thyra, saying, "I am not going to marry you."

"Melanie, this is not the place to talk about that." Instead of rebuking her, Cook smiled at Justin, adding, "We can talk about it later."

It was clear he had no intention of paying any respect to Justin. Justin was about to say something, but Thyra was faster.

"As I have learned, you are a great merchant." Thyra's voice was respectful, but it didn't make him happy. Thyra simply smiled and continued, "You always sell your merchandise to the highest bidder. Whether it is the copper from your mine or…" Thyra paused, looked at Melanie, and added, "Your daughter."

"How dare you?" The crisp voice was louder than the music that was playing in the hall. Naturally, it attracted the attention of others.

Thyra noticed the glass in his hand was shaking, but Cook's face was still decorated with a smile.

"Melanie." He called. But the chubby girl, who had grown up without anyone criticising her, would not stop there.

"If your father didn't force my father, do you think I would marry you? You are just a poor noble from the countryside. You…"

Noticing her father staring daggers at her, she stopped. But soon her face lit up as soon as she saw someone.

"What might be the problem here, Lord Cook?" Kreza came in with his group of followers. Thyra also noticed that Justin's two sons tried to hide their presence in the group.

'Oh!' Thyra remembered who Kreza was. It was the guy with whom the Viscountess had tried to marry her.

 

37