50. The hefty price of recruitment…
929 6 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One day later.

Thyra was sitting in her room at the barracks. There were Selda, Jullia, and Hure inside the room. Rika was also present.

However, the atmosphere was chilly inside the room. Although Rika was the only one present to see Thyra one-sidedly beaten by the unknown knight leader, almost everyone knew that something like that had happened there.

Although Rika wanted to help, the knights also attacked her group, keeping them busy. In the end, the death toll increased to three, with four heavily injured, including Thyra.

Thyra recovered quickly because of her essence, but she still needed to use an advanced healing potion. The other three were no exceptions.

Thyra pulled out about five pieces of metal and put them on the table. Thyra added, "These are the only proofs we have."

"That is the symbol of the Dent ducal family." Hure was the first to point it out. "Are they from the knight's Armor?"

They already knew from Rika that the knight leader had severed the heads of the knights of the ducal family and smashed them. That was so that no proof would be left behind.

Thyra, too, had thought that she had no other way. However, just in case, Thyra checked every part of their armour only to find there were five places where the armour had the emblem of the ducal family.

The knights' armour is expensive, and only a few can afford one when they get instigated as knights. It was especially true for the knights instigated by a noble family other than the king.

Naturally, the noble family would give them armour for protection. Armour belonging to a particular family often bore the crest of that noble. It is expected that the ducal family wanted to use unmarked armour.

The fact that these were not the only knights on a covert mission for the dukedom meant that some marked armour was bound to be floating around.

"What should we do?" As Hure asked, Thyra turned towards Jullia. "Take a couple of pieces of armour and leave with a few teeth we have gathered from the orcs and kobolds. Send it to Justin, and tell him to ensure it reaches the king."

Thyra had thought about it before thinking of informing the king. Although she wasn't sure her actions would affect the future, she knew the empire didn't win the war. The war will be stretched for a long time, and the empire had to retreat in the end.

Thyra takes that as a loss for the empire. On the other hand, Thyra didn't know for sure if the ducal family was the one who started the civil war or one of her brothers or sisters.

However, she knew if she was able to contribute enough, she could climb up the ladder faster. It will not just help her earn money but also help her grow an army so she could protect herself during the civil war.

Jullia nodded and received two pieces of armour from Thyra. "No matter how fast I ride, reaching the capital will take at least four weeks. However, there is another way."

"Then what are you waiting for?" Jullia had no problem understanding what Thyra meant by that. She stood up and left without any more words.

"Hure, send some people to recruit some soldiers," Thyra ordered.

One thing she understood during the confrontation was that human lives are worth nothing in war. And the weaker they are, the more useless they will be.

"My lady, you can't recruit more than a hundred."

"Who set the limit?"

"The royal court sets the number of soldiers a noble can have. The number is already stretched out due to the war. If we recruit more soldiers, the royal court might accuse the viscount of treason."

Thyra slammed her fist on the table. It is the process to keep the nobles in check, so they won't be able to start a coup against the royal family.

She had read in the novel that the noble had enlisted additional troops in a certain way. Nonetheless, she only skimmed it because it was the only chapter without any sexually charged moments.

"However, there is a way." Hure was the first to add. "The servants."

"The servants?" Thyra couldn't get it.

"Every army can have servants in the ratio of 4:1. One servant would be assigned to every four soldiers."

"25." That is better than nothing.

"My lady, there are more." Hure added, "Other than servants who would cook and take care of daily needs, there are logistics workers."

"Their number varied from 10 to 20 for an army with 100 men. They would tend to the horses, fix the armour and weapons, craft the arrows, and do other things."

"Good."

"And as you are a noble, you can have up to 10 servants, slaves and maids. So, the number will be around 50 for our 100-man army."

Thyra wanted to ask how they were going to feed everyone. But then, she realised the meaning of 'logistics wins war'.

"Selda, how is the training going?"

Although Thyra asked the question, Selda had no problem understanding what Thyra actually meant by that.

"They are being trained by the blacksmith, butcher, hunters, and chefs, alternatively. We would not need to hire more servants to do these things."

Thyra looked at him and smiled. That was why Thyra liked him. He was one of the quickest in the branch. Still, don't forget to add, "Don't let them ignore the real training either."

"Yes, my lady."

"The food is scarce now, and anybody will join as long as you give them food. Hure, gather people aged between 15-19. As long as they have their four limbs intact and have no problems with their bodies, make them sign the contract. If anyone asks, say that we are recruiting servants."

"Hure, you have one week. Gather at least 50 of them. Selda, you don't need to inform the instructor. You will make them follow the training schedule I have given you."

As Thyra signalled him, he left with a salute. Hure, too, was about to leave but said, "My lady, Lady Nisa, wants to meet you tonight."

"I am not in the mood for her useless behaviour." Thyra frowned. Hure nodded and was about to leave, but Thyra added, "Tell Aria to prepare. She will spend the night with me."

"Do I send her here?"

"No need. I will return to the manor soon."

Soon, only Thyra and Rika were left in the room. Thyra sighed, asking, "Do you know why I asked you to stay behind?"

"I think it has something to do with the army." Rika said with a smile, adding, "You want the tribe to join the war?"

"And what is your decision?"

Rika shook her head, adding, "I may be the future chief, but my mother is still the chief of the tribe. This is the decision only she could take."

"And what about the other tribe?"

"I can't talk about other tribes."

"If they are willing to help, I will give them what they want. If they come out of the forest, I can even give them the land."

Again, she shook her head, adding, "Even if some of them came, the majority of them wouldn't leave their sacred land. There aren't many things you can give them."

Thyra sighed. She wasn't the first one to be impressed with the fighting abilities of the barbarians. However, throughout history, they have remained mostly uncontacted.

A few tribes, like the Rock Sloth tribe, come down from time to time, but they would eventually return to the forest.

"However, I can lead a few to follow you to the war."

When Thyra heard what she said, her face lit up. She knew full well that twenty of the tribe's men might be stronger than the 50-strong army.

"But…"

Thyra didn't like the word. She looked at Rika with expectation.

"It will be impossible this year, but I can send a few of my tribesmen to join your army after next winter, as long as…"

As Thyra looked at Rika, Rika smiled, adding, "As long as you give your seed to..."

34