134. The city of Thynor.
320 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The city of Thynor.

Four days later.

 

“Halt.” The guard at the gate shouted. “Who are you?”

“Help us," said the man, who was almost past his middle age but had yet to show any distinct signs of being an old man, as he tried to hold the hand of the guard.

All the guards quickly pointed their spears at the man, making him stumble and fall on his buttocks. 

“Stay right there.” The guards had no intention of coming close to him or the people who had followed the slightly old man.

“I am Tunark. I am the head of Barn Village. We were attacked. They killed my son…” The man couldn’t say his words clearly as he started crying. 

“Stop it.” The head of the guard appeared as one of the guards went there and reported it. “Stop crying. Tell me what has happened.” 

“You must avenge my son. They killed my son. You must avenge him. The emperor must kill those kingdom dogs.” The man jumped and tried to hold on to the head guard’s hand as if it were his last straw.

However, the head of the guards wasn’t as forgiving as his guards. His kick simply threw him away. “If you want to live, then stay there and talk. If you try to touch me once more, I will kill you myself.”

The man looked dumbfounded. He was in pain, but his shock was apparent on his face. Yet he stayed on his knees and explained.

"I am Tunark. I was the head of the Barn village. They attacked us in the middle of the night. Destroyed our field, killed our animals, and burned our house. Anyone who tried to stop them was killed. They killed my sons, too."

"Who are they?" 

"They are kingdom dogs."

"Answer me clearly." The head guard frowned as he asked again, "How do you know they are the kingdom's soldiers? Did they say it to you?"

"Who else would they be?" The old man was clearly not happy with that question. "Would the emperor send soldiers to destroy our village? They have to be the kingdom's soldiers. And they were wearing weird helmets, too."

"Weird helmet?"

"Those helmets had bullhorns sticking out of them. I don't think our empire's soldiers would be foolish enough to wear something like that."

"Was there anything else?"

Tunark tried to think about it, but nothing came to mind. But one girl from the crowd chimed in, "They were carrying a flag, an emerald flag with a golden longhorn."

"Yes, yes." Tunark was quick to voice his confirmation.

"Who are you?" The head guard asked the girl.

"I am Kira. I am the daughter of Maple Village's head. They had killed my father."

"You are from Barn Village, and you are from Maple Village. And both of your villages were attacked?" Receiving nods from both of them, the head guard asked, "Then how are you together?"

"We met on the way here." Kira added, "There are people from Blackwell hamlet, Ringo village, and others too.

As soon as Kira said it, other people introduced themselves and tried explaining how they were also attacked.

"Silence." However, one shout from the head guard was enough to make them close their mouths. He then looked at Tunark, asking, "Where is Barn village?"

Tunark pointed to the south, saying, "It's two days away from here in that direction. You can reach there in a day if you have a good horse and ride all day."

"What about Maple?"

"In the same direction. About a day away from here." Kira answered.

"Captain, I have heard about Maple Village. They have delicious wine." One of the guards said, adding legitimacy to her claim.

However, the head guard wasn't done. He questioned, "When were you attacked?"

"Two days ago."

"Three days ago."

"Two days ago."

All of the different hamlets and villages confirmed that they were attacked within three days. At the same time, some of them were even attacked yesterday. Naturally, the nearest one was about ten kilometers away and was also attacked yesterday.

Looking at Tunark and Kira, the head guard asked, "Then why are you together?"

"We returned to the village after they left. We don't know what to do. We were in a state of mourning when he came to our village with more people from his village. He asked us to come to Tynor, as only the soldiers of Tynor can protect us against the enemy."

Tunark nodded, adding, "I didn't know what to do. I lost both of my sons, but I still had my grandson with me. He is just four years old. I know if we stay there, they might attack again. It doesn't matter if I die, but I have to save my grandson. So, I came here."

One from the Blackwell hamlet added, "Only me and my brother survived at the hamlet. I think he was right, so we joined them, too."

The head guard paused before thinking for a moment. "All of you wait here. I will report it to the general."

"But let us enter the city first," Tunark said. "If we wait outside the city wall and they attack us, what will happen? Won't they kill us first?"

"Yes, let us in."

"Let us in."

"Save us."

The hundred or so refugees shouted in unison. Yet the guard head looked at them coldly, asking, "Do you want me to kill all of you?"

After seeing a tragedy not too long ago, the threat worked perfectly for them. Still, Kira stepped forward, asking, "Can we at least get some food and water? Some of us didn't have anything for a day or two."

The head guard looked at her momentarily before turning to his guard unit. He ordered, "Give them some bread and water. But don't let any of them enter the city. I will go and talk to the general."

The city of Thynor was also a city like Digen. It was a two-walled city with farmland inside the outer wall. A part of the river channel was diverted to flow through the city. The generals and commanders are expected to be inside the inner wall. Naturally, it took the head guard to deliver the news and return.

Compared to that, a sack of bread and water came relatively quickly. Some tried to hoard the food, but it was distributed at the spear's tip.

Tunark, with his silver tongue and the tip of a silver coin, was able to get three loaves of bread compared to the two that were supposed to be allocated to him and his four-year-old grandson.

He quickly hid two of the loaves in his ragged cloth, tore off a small end of the third loaf, and gave the bigger piece to his grandson. As his grandson chewed on the bread, he coughed. Tunark was quick to provide him with water as he advised him to eat slowly.

During all of these, Tunark stayed within close range of the gate. He was so close that the moment the gate opened, he would be the first one to enter.

Alas! It took quite some time to open again. The head guard returned and chose Tunark, Kira, and two more from different villages to accompany him.

He initially ordered Turnark to leave his grandson behind. However, after receiving two silver coins, he let the child come. 

A few of the refugees protested, but they were silenced at the tip of the spear. They could only watch and wait as the city gate closed again. 

Support me and read upto 38 advance chapters on Patreon.

You can also support me by commenting and giving the chapter a like.

Thank you for all the support. It means a lot to me.

14